Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
159,561 - 159,580 of 200,669 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#182734 Mar 6, 2013
Randy-Rock-Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, you're perfectly at liberty to laugh. And, pray, which slur was that, again?
You don't remember what you wrote?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#182735 Mar 6, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he reversed them. Still incorrect though. As was the poster he was quoting.
That's good, I thought it was me..

Location hidden

#182736 Mar 6, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we are a democratic republic, look up the phrase democratic republic in the dictionary and look at the first example given.
The whole popular argument that we are either a democracy or a republic are both wrong, we are both, always have been.
We are a Constitutional Republic. The founders HATED democracy.

BTW, why would I go to the Dictionary when I could just go to the Constitution?

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government...- Article IV Sec 4.

Location hidden

#182737 Mar 6, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
We've had this discussion before. It's over with, dickweed. The 14th Amendment is not going away, and you can squawk about Article V all you like.
Dodge..

BTW, since you agree Article V isn't made up, perhaps now you could read it. Then we could discuss how it was violated during the drafting of the 14th Amendment.
If we ever get you educated that far, which is highly doubtful, we can then discuss the use of martial law during the ratification when the vote didn't go the way they liked the first time.

Oh, and I never said it was going anywhere, but that doesn't mean we can't address the issues surrounding its passage. That is unless the person you are attempting to have the discussion with is ignorant of the subject matter which it seems you are.
NJbeaters

Covina, CA

#182738 Mar 6, 2013
Police in New Jersey are investigating a video of an officer punch a woman directly in the face.

Cell phone video posted on YouTube shows a group of people outside the Envy nightclub in Elizabeth.

At one point, an officer or cop pulls back and punches a woman directly in the face with direct force and fully aware she is a female.

The female Beater, officer remains on active duty.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#182739 Mar 7, 2013
6.If you believe a fundamental change to the building block of society will have absolutely no affect

rK; The lawful entities responsible for wielding the fundamental building blocks of a social and civil Republic are certainly correct in adding to the available set of building blocks, when such additions promote justice and consistency before the Law.

KiMare'a wrote; First, you fail to even address the question. Such a change will have momentus changes, many of which are unpredictable. This has always been the case in just our nation's history.

Second, marriage is the ONLY natural building block of society. It is what separates us from the animal kingdom and indiscriminate procreation. Any other setting is a drastically negative default option.

Moreover, gay couples produce nothing, a clear genetic indication of defect, directly contrary to the primary goal of evolution.

Additionally, rights are distinguished in law. Gay couples fail to equate to marriage AT THE FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL OF NATURAL DESIGN AND PRIMARY FUNCTION.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#182740 Mar 7, 2013
6.If you believe a fundamental change to the building block of society will have absolutely no affect

rK; The lawful entities responsible for wielding the fundamental building blocks of a social and civil Republic are certainly correct in adding to the available set of building blocks, when such additions promote justice and consistency before the Law.

KiMare'a wrote; First, you fail to even address the question. Such a change will have momentus changes, many of which are unpredictable. This has always been the case in just our nation's history. No fault divorce has fatally fractured the family. Abortion has 'protected the mother' at the expense of her child. Just two examples.

Second, marriage is the ONLY natural building block of society. It is what separates us from the animal kingdom and indiscriminate procreation. Any other setting is a drastically negative default option. According to the latest, largest and most scientific study to date on seven family types, lesbian couples rate last, AFTER single parents!

Moreover, gay couples mutually procreate nothing, a clear genetic indication of defect, and directly contrary to the primary goal of evolution.

Finally, rights are protected by law, it has no power to create. Gay couples fail to equate to marriage AT THE FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL OF NATURAL DESIGN AND PRIMARY FUNCTION. Calling gay couples married is an imposition of an imposter relationship, hardly just or consistent.
Sippy

Long Beach, CA

#182741 Mar 7, 2013
WHY VOTE wrote:
Ok, I don't really care if same sex people get married or are together in any capacity. I am for equal rights BUT.......... I am very annoyed that peoples votes don't mean anything anymore. What happened to a majority vote rules? What happened to the peoples voice?
My stance on this has nothing to do with same sex couples. This is just the latest thing a court has overturned or blocked that THE PEOPLE voted for. Look at AZ., look back at prop. 187 which would have saved is billions in illegal immigrant funding. The people of the USA are trying to make changes to better our country and the few judges are effectively disenfranchising us.
Again this is not directed at same sex couples it is major frustration over the majority loosing there voice.
WHY VOTE????
Justices are tasked with protecting the rights of everyone especially minorities such as GLBT Americans! We are provided equal protection under the same constitution as you are and simply because the majority of voters at any particular moment in time felt it was right to alter our state constitution to deny those protections doesn't make it okay! Since I was 18 I've voted in every major election and to this day I believe my vote has always counted!
Randy-Rock-Hudso n

Mooresboro, NC

#182742 Mar 7, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't remember what you wrote?
Why do you spend so much time answering questions with questions?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182743 Mar 7, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
We are a Constitutional Republic. The founders HATED democracy.
BTW, why would I go to the Dictionary when I could just go to the Constitution?
The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government...- Article IV Sec 4.
Before posting again, look up Democratic republic, and look the first example given.

Our founders hated pure democracy, just as they hated pure republic. History was very clear about the evils of both.

That is why they created a democratic republic.

Some of our founders thought only the wealthy should be able to vote, and many generally hated black people, and none of them thought women should vote, they thought a president and vice president that were on opposing parties was a good idea. Our founders were not perfect, but they did a very good job regardless.

Yes we are a republic, yes we are a representative democracy

We are both, and always have been
G points

Covina, CA

#182744 Mar 7, 2013
A "d" is below average, can't have anymore of this being posted.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182745 Mar 7, 2013
Randy-Rock-Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I didn't make myself clear...I LOVE driving trucks. For me, it is a clear choice, not a last resort. You should be so lucky as to decide what you want to do with your life. If I wish to use my degrees, then I will.
Luck has nothing to do with it. I do whatever I please.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182746 Mar 7, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Dodge..
BTW, since you agree Article V isn't made up, perhaps now you could read it. Then we could discuss how it was violated during the drafting of the 14th Amendment.
If we ever get you educated that far, which is highly doubtful, we can then discuss the use of martial law during the ratification when the vote didn't go the way they liked the first time.
Oh, and I never said it was going anywhere, but that doesn't mean we can't address the issues surrounding its passage. That is unless the person you are attempting to have the discussion with is ignorant of the subject matter which it seems you are.
blah, blah, blah....... I told you we've had this discussion before. Did you have a point?

Address the issue? It's 2013.... do you think it hasn't been addressed?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182747 Mar 7, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
blah, blah, blah....... I told you we've had this discussion before. Did you have a point?
Address the issue? It's 2013.... do you think it hasn't been addressed?
His arguments have already been made in court, and failed.

You donít need to refute them, they have already been refuted legally
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182748 Mar 7, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
His arguments have already been made in court, and failed.
You donít need to refute them, they have already been refuted legally
I know. He brings it up every few months and tries to act all indignant about something that happened almost 150yrs ago. Except he always ignores what has happened in that 150 yrs. It's like he left at intermission and doesn't know the whole story.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#182750 Mar 7, 2013
Sippy wrote:
<quoted text>
Justices are tasked with protecting the rights of everyone especially minorities such as GLBT Americans! We are provided equal protection under the same constitution as you are and simply because the majority of voters at any particular moment in time felt it was right to alter our state constitution to deny those protections doesn't make it okay! Since I was 18 I've voted in every major election and to this day I believe my vote has always counted!
Their function is to interpret law. A panel of judges, can, and often do offer opinions at odds with each other. In that case the majority rules. If a right, or rights, of any minority, are effected, so be it, but their primary task is to render an intepreted opinion.
come on now

Bolingbrook, IL

#182751 Mar 7, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare'a wrote; First, you fail to even address the question. Such a change will have momentus changes, many of which are unpredictable. This has always been the case in just our nation's history. No fault divorce has fatally fractured the family. Abortion has 'protected the mother' at the expense of her child. Just two examples.
Second, marriage is the ONLY natural building block of society. It is what separates us from the animal kingdom and indiscriminate procreation. Any other setting is a drastically negative default option. According to the latest, largest and most scientific study to date on seven family types, lesbian couples rate last, AFTER single parents!
Moreover, gay couples mutually procreate nothing, a clear genetic indication of defect, and directly contrary to the primary goal of evolution.
Finally, rights are protected by law, it has no power to create. Gay couples fail to equate to marriage AT THE FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL OF NATURAL DESIGN AND PRIMARY FUNCTION. Calling gay couples married is an imposition of an imposter relationship, hardly just or consistent.
"Second, marriage is the ONLY natural building block of society. It is what separates us from the animal kingdom and indiscriminate procreation."

Wrong... there are 11 species of animals which mate for life... which is basically what marriage is about. Funny how you bring nature into this since there are over 1500 species of animals that have homosexuals in them... which, while not common, makes homosexuality a natural phenomenon.

Moreover, gay couples mutually procreate nothing, a clear genetic indication of defect, and directly contrary to the primary goal of evolution."

Neither do post menopausal women, sterile people and people who have been "fixed"... yet they are allowed to marry....
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182752 Mar 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Their function is to interpret law. A panel of judges, can, and often do offer opinions at odds with each other. In that case the majority rules. If a right, or rights, of any minority, are effected, so be it, but their primary task is to render an intepreted opinion.
Correct!

Alas that the court has become so political.

But I expect them to do the right thing regardless.
come on now

Bolingbrook, IL

#182753 Mar 7, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct!
Alas that the court has become so political.
But I expect them to do the right thing regardless.
Just like they did with Obamacare....
Still trying to figure how a law could have something which is unconstitutional... yet be ruled in favor.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182754 Mar 7, 2013
come on now wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like they did with Obamacare....
Still trying to figure how a law could have something which is unconstitutional... yet be ruled in favor.
Yes, they did the right thing there, regardless of the political leaning, that was encouraging that they are less political than I fear they are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abandoned Insane Asylum In Hemet.... (Jun '09) 3 hr the enforcer 59
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 6 hr papersup 15,974
Many Sonic Booms or Earthquakes Felt in Menifee? (Jan '10) 11 hr fedup 28
Transportation plays a big role at home and reg... 11 hr fedup 2
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 17 hr memo maddnes 5,020
8/27/2013 tuesday around 2:15pm state and menlo... (Aug '13) 21 hr hahahaha 14
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon punch tips 7,935
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hemet People Search