Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,189

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#181852 Feb 28, 2013
Edgar wrote:
<quoted text>
And who do hermaphrodites marry? Are they just completely cut out from the institution? They're not a man or a woman. Or this law doesn't specify for them.
You and akpilot say we're all just for a cause, for self-affirmation, and if we were really for letting everyone be happy, we would support poly marriage. But where are the hermaphrodites in this? They exist. Their conditions are genetic. Neither you nor akpilot have mentioned that.
Please, enlighten me on your insight to this.
You may wish to bring yourself up to the 20th century and realise that hermaphrodite is a term applied to animals. Intersex is the preferred term for humans.

Intersex indivicuals often identify as either man or woman and live according to that identity. This may be "determined" for them at a very early age by parents and doctors or the individual may adopt a gender identity later in life based upon personal feelings. Note here that I don't think they should be forced to live as a man or a woman, it ought to be their choice to identify as they wish.

With regard to marriage I seriously doubt there is an issue for couples as they've more than likely settled on who they are well before vows are considered.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#181853 Feb 28, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How rare, or common, is the condition?
Intersex is a broad category that probably affects more people than you think. I've seen figures around 1 in 100. Having both genetalia phenotypically expressed is more uncommon though.
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181854 Feb 28, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
You may wish to bring yourself up to the 20th century and realise that hermaphrodite is a term applied to animals. Intersex is the preferred term for humans.
Intersex indivicuals often identify as either man or woman and live according to that identity. This may be "determined" for them at a very early age by parents and doctors or the individual may adopt a gender identity later in life based upon personal feelings. Note here that I don't think they should be forced to live as a man or a woman, it ought to be their choice to identify as they wish.
With regard to marriage I seriously doubt there is an issue for couples as they've more than likely settled on who they are well before vows are considered.
My apologies on not referring to them as intersex, it was a spur-of-the-moment mentioning. You are right, the more accurate modern term is intersex.

Plus, I agree completely with your last sentence, but it's not what addressing the point I was making. If marriage were between one man and one woman, and that was the plain-as-day definition of it, then too many complex "what-if" cases would be left.

In no way saying I disagree with what you said, though.
Dan

Roseville, CA

#181855 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda sad you have no argument except the off topic card.
Almost 3 years later and "Frank Rizzo" still has no life finding himself in here spitting out bullshit and venom.

Good Gawd buddy.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181856 Feb 28, 2013
Edgar wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you try to make things that don't pertain to poly marriage appear as though they do, like Prop 8.
If all other laws against polygamy were repealed except PROP 8, that would be the only thing stopping polygamy from being legal in California.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181857 Feb 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost 3 years later and "Frank Rizzo" still has no life finding himself in here spitting out bullshit and venom.
Good Gawd buddy.
You say "Gawd" just like Jizzybirdy. Are you guys brothers or something?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181858 Feb 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Gawd buddy.
Says Buttered Pancakes!
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181859 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
If all other laws against polygamy were repealed except PROP 8, that would be the only thing stopping polygamy from being legal in California.
That's one of the most radical hypotheticals I've ever heard, and there's no logic to it. Thusly, I'm not even going to bother responding to it.

If you desire a response, I suggest you express your point in a much more comprehensible way.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#181860 Feb 28, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Does it matter?
Yes.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#181861 Feb 28, 2013
Edgar wrote:
<quoted text>
Between 0.1 and 0.2 percent. But even so that's thousands of people. At least.
Are there any cases where it was an issue regarding marriage?
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181862 Feb 28, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Are there any cases where it was an issue regarding marriage?
I'll give you the Frankie Rizzo answer: show me proof of the thing we're arguing over the existence of.

You may now feel confused.

“I won't be your hero.”

Since: Jul 12

Vacaville, CA

#181863 Feb 28, 2013
The people of California voted this down. I voted for gay marriage but I have since changed my mind on it. Should gays be allowed to get married? Yes. But marriage isn't a right and none of the government's business to be in. People wanted it put to a vote and they lost, they should of moved on.
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181864 Feb 28, 2013
JoshCham wrote:
The people of California voted this down. I voted for gay marriage but I have since changed my mind on it. Should gays be allowed to get married? Yes. But marriage isn't a right and none of the government's business to be in. People wanted it put to a vote and they lost, they should of moved on.
Historically, no rights activist movements have ever put the decision over whether to extend the rights to a general ballot. If this had been the case, we might still have slavery in effect today.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181865 Feb 28, 2013
Edgar wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one of the most radical hypotheticals I've ever heard, and there's no logic to it. Thusly, I'm not even going to bother responding to it.
If you desire a response, I suggest you express your point in a much more comprehensible way.
Giving up already Fruitcake?

Fact is prop 8 says marriage is "a man and a woman", That means exactly what it says, not 2 men and a woman, not two women, not two men. What don't you understand about that? It bans polygamy and same sex marriage EQUALLY.

You are not any more a victim of prop 8 than polyamorists are.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181866 Feb 28, 2013
Edgar wrote:
<quoted text>
Historically, no rights activist movements have ever put the decision over whether to extend the rights to a general ballot. If this had been the case, we might still have slavery in effect today.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#181867 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Frank come on tell us all about jumping out of a Chopper in Nam.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181868 Feb 28, 2013
Edgar wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you the Frankie Rizzo answer: show me proof of the thing we're arguing over the existence of.
You may now feel confused.
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181869 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner.
But we aren't a democracy. We're a democratically representative republic.
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181870 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Giving up already Fruitcake?
Fact is prop 8 says marriage is "a man and a woman", That means exactly what it says, not 2 men and a woman, not two women, not two men. What don't you understand about that? It bans polygamy and same sex marriage EQUALLY.
You are not any more a victim of prop 8 than polyamorists are.
I am not a victim of prop 8 because I am not gay.

You assume too much.

Because a loophole in prop 8 adds (in some miniscule, insignificant way) to the crapload of other laws denying you the right to poly marriage, you assume that prop 8 was equally addressing poly marriage alongside gay marriage.

Nowhere in the ballot statement did it mention poly marriage.

You're losing.

Sorry.

Must suck.
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181871 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.
-Hunter S. Thompson
You're absolutely insane.
- Me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boy, Man Found Dead Inside Hemet Home 21 min lupita garcia 2
2 females found dead on Girard St in Hemet (Nov '13) 49 min lupita garcia 58
HemetHEMET: Food market's ex-owner convicted of... 1 hr lupita garcia 7
more section 8 housing coming soon 2 hr Chris 16
ugly women with ugly tattoos!!!!! (Oct '12) 20 hr Stupid asses 99
el toro markets busted! (Jul '13) Thu SMAR 44
less blks in hmt since ebola Wed Kuntakinta 3

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match