Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
157,241 - 157,260 of 200,578 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180244
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he is stuck on stupid, he is still working the same tactic that has failed over and over and over and he is still on it.
Isn’t one of the definitions of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results?
I started a thread just for him. His very own blogg
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180245
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you understand that laws that allow polygamy for Mormons only would be Unconstitutional? You need to hire a lawyer and take it before SCOTUS.
That is what I keep telling him, get the signatures and put it on the ballot.( but he really doesn’t want to do that )

It isn’t going to be a serious discussion worth anything at all until he does that. Nothing before the courts right now will have any effect on it whatsoever

Just a diversionary tactic ( that continues to fail miserably )

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180246
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Pietro somehow thinks that its impossible for two men or two women to raise a child.
Pietro knows its biological impossible for two men or two women to create a child that is the biological product of their union. Pietro also knows two women can raise a child as evidenced by single mothers, and their mother, raising her child/her grandchild together. Or two adult sisters. Contrary to some SSMer's beliefs, there are tether examples of same gendered pairs, other than couples, raising children. Are you in favor of marriage protections for children's being raised by those pairings?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180247
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Here’s the problem: There’s no principled way to exclude polyamory from marriage, if one adopts the principles being argued by same-sex marriage advocates.

They argue: Marriage is about making a contract with the person you love.

They argue: Marriage equality (the right to marry whom you want) is a civil rights issue.

They argue: Other marriage constructions will not affect your marriage.

All of these arguments support polyamory equally as well as same-sex marriage. So now, when it suits them, they’re calling on the authority of “tradition,” without any means of justifying their preference for two people only.

There is, in fact, no principle behind their preferred boundaries at all. All they can do is declare their definition to be the correct one:

Alex Greenwich, the national convener of Australian Marriage Equality, told The Australian that his lobby group's concept of marriage was "what it's always been" of "two people who rely on each other in a relationship to the exclusion of all others".

That actually is not the concept of marriage that “has always been.” The concept of marriage that “has always been” is one where the boundaries are principled because they’re conformed to the nature of reality—the complementary differences between men and women.

The reproductive system is the only bodily system that requires another person to complete it. The bringing together of two physically complementary persons completes this system, and that is the type of union that society has an interest in protecting because that act is the act that produces children (whether or not it does so in any particular case*). If the union of a man and a woman didn't have the social consequences of creating a family by nature, marriage (the stabilization of that union by society) would never have existed.

Why define marriage as two people? Because two people complete the union that society has an interest in protecting.

Why define marriage as a man and a woman? Because those are the complementary persons whose union creates new life.

The traditional marriage advocate is arguing not from bigotry or even from tradition, but from principles of reality that remain unchanged despite anyone’s personal preferences.

By contrast, these same-sex marriage advocates are refusing to apply their principles equally to everybody. This is inconsistency at best and bigotry at worst.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180248
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I keep telling him, get the signatures and put it on the ballot.( but he really doesn’t want to do that )
It isn’t going to be a serious discussion worth anything at all until he does that. Nothing before the courts right now will have any effect on it whatsoever
Just a diversionary tactic ( that continues to fail miserably )
http://www.topix.com/forum/new s/gay/T488NGRGQ6RR0N6FM

just fer frankiee
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180249
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Pietro knows its biological impossible for two men or two women to create a child that is the biological product of their union. Pietro also knows two women can raise a child as evidenced by single mothers, and their mother, raising her child/her grandchild together. Or two adult sisters. Contrary to some SSMer's beliefs, there are tether examples of same gendered pairs, other than couples, raising children. Are you in favor of marriage protections for children's being raised by those pairings?
I don’t have any problem with those pairings, or SSM parings raising children either ( I know of several )

I do wonder if we should look into our allowing religious fundamentalists to raise children, that is a rather hateful environment.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180250
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you understand that laws that allow polygamy for Mormons only would be Unconstitutional? You need to hire a lawyer and take it before SCOTUS.
Yes of course. So does the author and any intelligent person who read her essay.

She is not advocating polygamy for Mormons only dummy. She is advocating equal protection of the law.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180251
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Fluck are you stuck on stoopid? I have told you NO on many occasions. The Judges ruling has no bearing on polygamy at all. The flucking thread is about voters trying to remove an existing right, based on a persons sexuality. That's discrimination you flipping moron.
No effect? You can be sure every means used to get equal protection for same sex marriage will and should be used to get equal protection for poly. That's what EQUAL protection means "you flipping moron".

Every victory for same sex marriage bodes well for polygamy. That's the way it works, son.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180252
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes of course. So does the author and any intelligent person who read her essay.
She is not advocating polygamy for Mormons only dummy. She is advocating equal protection of the law.
Then she needs to take it before scotus. Frankiie I started a blog just for you. Some one posted to it already
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180253
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t have any problem with those pairings, or SSM parings raising children either ( I know of several )
I do wonder if we should look into our allowing religious fundamentalists to raise children, that is a rather hateful environment.
The government agrees with you and ripped 436 children from their biological parents with no crime or abuse alleged or committed beyond polygamy. These were happy normal kids in loving families.

Unfortunately for them SCOTUS just doesn't like polygamy. Nice!

I support equal protection even for everyone. Even unpopular people. You don't it seems.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180254
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Then she needs to take it before scotus. Frankiie I started a blog just for you. Some one posted to it already
It's a dead link. Learn how to post a link you dopey obsessed cyberstalking creep!

You can write an essay without taking it to SCOTUS jackass. You can post about equal protection without being off topic dummy. And censorship sucks. And you're just an angry fool.

Hope that helps!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180255
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t have any problem with those pairings, or SSM parings raising children either ( I know of several )
I do wonder if we should look into our allowing religious fundamentalists to raise children, that is a rather hateful environment.
The poses the question of how is "religious fundamentalism" defined. Any abuse regardless of the source has to be dealt with.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180256
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I keep telling him, get the signatures and put it on the ballot.( but he really doesn’t want to do that )
It isn’t going to be a serious discussion worth anything at all until he does that. Nothing before the courts right now will have any effect on it whatsoever
Just a diversionary tactic ( that continues to fail miserably )
You can write an essay about equal protection without gathering signatures. You can post about it without gathering signatures.

And you can use diversionary tactics like calling my posts diversionary tactics too!

But you cannot avoid revealing your hypocrisy.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180257
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a dead link. Learn how to post a link you dopey obsessed cyberstalking creep!
You can write an essay without taking it to SCOTUS jackass. You can post about equal protection without being off topic dummy. And censorship sucks. And you're just an angry fool.
Hope that helps!
One more time, I do not have a problem with poly. Got it? Hey your thread does exist
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180258
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You can write an essay about equal protection without gathering signatures. You can post about it without gathering signatures.
And you can use diversionary tactics like calling my posts diversionary tactics too!
But you cannot avoid revealing your hypocrisy.
You can ( and do )post all day long, but it won’t do your pet obsession any good at all, you certainly are not changing anyone’s opinion.

The only thing that will do it any good is for you to get the signatures needed for a proposition and put it on a ballot, that will elicit a response from the general public.

And then you can work from there, right not you are not at step one yet, you are just using it as a way to attack those that are for same sex marriage ( which so far has been your only point )
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180259
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>One more time, I do not have a problem with poly. Got it? Hey your thread does exist
Neither do I, but he will pretend you do as that is the only way to attack you with it, which is his only point.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180260
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The poses the question of how is "religious fundamentalism" defined. Any abuse regardless of the source has to be dealt with.
I agree
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180261
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You can ( and do )post all day long, but it won’t do your pet obsession any good at all, you certainly are not changing anyone’s opinion.
The only thing that will do it any good is for you to get the signatures needed for a proposition and put it on a ballot, that will elicit a response from the general public.
And then you can work from there, right not you are not at step one yet, you are just using it as a way to attack those that are for same sex marriage ( which so far has been your only point )
Why do you refuse to discuss equal protection of the law?

Do I tell you you cannot support equal protection for same sex without gathering signatures?

Please educate yourself. Do you agree the government was right in denying these parents equal protection of the law? Why?

Why is it OK to deny them the same equal protection that same sex marriage gets?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180262
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree
That's right. There are laws against all the crimes you ignorantly accuse polygamists of, no need to make their marriage a crime. Prosecute criminals to the full extent of the law NO MATTER what type of marriage they are in.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180263
Feb 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither do I, but he will pretend you do as that is the only way to attack you with it, which is his only point.
I must have missed all his support for equal protection, perhaps you could give me a post number?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 9 hr Bee Keepers 4,977
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 15 hr facts faced 15,929
McDonalds 23 hr tye 1 4
EBT Cards Tue TellThem 3
HEMET: Confusion over write-in votes cleared up (Nov '12) Tue Teabag Sanchez 10
Home Wrecker Mon mad mom 6
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon Mudflys to 7,901

Search the Hemet Forum:
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hemet News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hemet
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••