Riverside County:Tap Water Taste and Smell Unpleasant due to Algae

May 15, 2014 Full story: Cactus Thorns 56

PE.com-An algae bloom at Diamond Valley Lake near Hemet has affected the water supply for a vast swath of Southern California, making tap water for some people in Riverside and San Diego counties taste "musty" or "earthy," according to the Metropolitan Water District.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
paddyomalley

Bastrop, TX

#45 Jul 15, 2014
Today the Great State of Texas has nearly 100 desalination facilities working and turning Gulf of Mexico sea water and brackish or outright briny aquifer ground water into 138 MILLION gallons of drinking water a day. The Gulf, of course provides an exhaustible supply of salt water and the estimate on brackish or briny aquifer water is 2.7 BILLION acre feet (1-acre foot of water = 325,851 gallons. You do the math)
California has 840 miles of Pacific Coast compared to Texas’ 300 plus miles. California, like Texas has, has huge, mid-sized, and small aquifers. Does California have ways to regenerate aquifers during heavy rain? Texas does and Texas requires aquifer recharge ponds wherever development has sprung up. It will rain again in California and it will be heavy rain, filling reservoirs in one season that the state says will take 9-years of normal rainfall. It happened more than once in the nearly 50-years I lived there.
Does the water cost more? I imagine it does, but I have cool, clear water. Texas is going to continue to encourage the construction of desalination plants for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile in California you have some of the richest farmland in the world lying fallow: A $40 BILLION business going down the drain so to speak. Perhaps the bullet train from LA to San Francisco is more important, or the Victorville to Vegas bullet train that Brown wants. If it had a chance of making money, private enterprise would be looking at building it, like they are in Texas.
If you guys can afford not pumping and refining your own crude, good for you. If you can afford high electric rates, high water rates, high gasoline prices, good for you. If you can afford to let a $40 Billion dollar industry degrade, then good for you. Your politicians are not suffering and they all leave office a lot richer than when they entered it. All they have to do is listen to the lobbyists and ignore you. Then add a RO to your drinking water tap.
Chris

Murrieta, CA

#46 Jul 15, 2014
James Marple wrote:
Chris
You ask thoughtful questions:
- I'm one of 6 million water customers in S CA who pay MWD
an outrageous price for badly contaminated water we don't need.
- I am not with an engineering firm but several advise me.
- I'm a consultant to those who seek advice about basic problems
our government has not solved. I welcome critique of my advice
because that adds to their database and mine.
- I've not been hired to investigate, this is a civic duty of all citizens
that way too few take seriously.
- The litigation pending will be moved forward by politicians smart
and honest enough to recognize their duty and do it.
- The "motive of my inquiry" is providing facts and figures to friends,
neighbors, voters regarding planning options that would reduce the
amount of extortion we pay to persons who manipulate our public
servants - including news services - to keep voters ignorant of the
true costs and benefits of managing our plentiful rainwater properly.
If you have no answers to the questions I posted then how do you
decide which political candidates are most likely to manage your
land/water/energy affairs properly?
If you are aware of the CA IRWM program that is planning your
family's expenditures then you can take action to defend their
health-safety-welfare by getting up to speed on it and contributing
ideas, opinions, knowledge.
Ya know james,i guess I must have taken your postings wrong.I agree with most everything you posted here, And it seems as though no-one else give's a damn about this country and how it's run anymore.It makes me sick the blatant lies and out right fraud this administration(And previous) but It's Far bigger than just Rainwater. It's pretty much getting to be everything gas,food,health-care. but yes i wouldn't mind getting up to speed on it.I have a brother who works in IT @ MWD I won't give his position. but,I think it all comes down to money,I believe there are some Hard times ahead of all of us.
passtomalley

Bastrop, TX

#47 Jul 15, 2014
Today the Great State of Texas has nearly 100 desalination facilities working and turning Gulf of Mexico sea water and brackish or outright briny aquifer ground water into 138 MILLION gallons of drinking water a day. The Gulf, of course provides an exhaustible supply of salt water and the estimate on brackish or briny aquifer water is 2.7 BILLION acre feet (1-acre foot of water = 325,851 gallons. You do the math)
California has 840 miles of Pacific Coast compared to Texas’ 300 plus miles. California, like Texas has, has huge, mid-sized, and small aquifers. Does California have ways to regenerate aquifers during heavy rain? Texas does and Texas requires aquifer recharge ponds wherever development has sprung up. It will rain again in California and it will be heavy rain, filling reservoirs in one season that the state says will take 9-years of normal rainfall. It happened more than once in the nearly 50-years I lived there.
Does the water cost more? I imagine it does, but I have cool, clear water. Texas is going to continue to encourage the construction of desalination plants for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile in California you have some of the richest farmland in the world lying fallow: A $40 BILLION business going down the drain so to speak. Perhaps the bullet train from LA to San Francisco is more important, or the Victorville to Vegas bullet train that Brown wants. If it had a chance of making money, private enterprise would be looking at building it, like they are in Texas.
If you guys can afford not pumping and refining your own crude, good for you. If you can afford high electric rates, high water rates, high gasoline prices, good for you. If you can afford to let a $40 Billion dollar industry degrade, then good for you. Your politicians are not suffering and they all leave office a lot richer than when they entered it. All they have to do is listen to the lobbyists and ignore you.
James Marple

San Diego, CA

#48 Jul 27, 2014
Chris
My reply was not entered: Here's a copy:
~~~~~~~~~~
James Marple San Diego, CA July 9, 2014

Chris
My posts on the UT forum will provide an outline of the
planning options that have been ignored by County/City
officials to avoid offending the private sector that dictates
hiring, salaries, pensions and firing in SD agenices.

Malley
I commented to "Water For Texas" a few years back,
have not kept on its efforts to correct inappropriate
water management by entrenched bureaucrats.
No competent cxivil engineer with good personal integrity
would have recommended building desalination plants.
Texas has an enormous surplus of 'cheap' water going to
waste because it has a deficiency in politicians smart and
honest enough to put it to use.

Many of its planners are doing a fine job Upstate but
foolish folks of Austin, San Antonio and Houston are
helping politicians get away with murder, same as in
Cally Fornya where dimwits and greedy people keep
electing Democrats who promise them something for
nothing and give them ever-increasing extotion.

Here in San Diego it's well-known that delivery of river
water to homes is a criminal act because USGS, EPA
and numerous university experts have shown this carries
toxins that pass through skin to cause diseases and
bodily degradation that destroy quality of life and end it
prematurely.(That's fine for killing off the elderly to
reduce Social Security deficits, as in England, but not
something good Republicans would do.)
But when Democrats rule, common sense does not.

As they did in N Carolina where great things are finally
happening after a century of Democrat mismanaging
that badly damaged its economy by wasted resources.
No Way Man

Hemet, CA

#49 Aug 2, 2014
The same algae that was in Domenigoni Lake is in Lake Eerie so they are telling people in Toledo, Ohio to not drink, bathe or even boil their water. Why didn't we get the same warning here, MWD?
james marple

San Diego, CA

#50 Aug 21, 2014
NWM
Journalists in California know that they would become unemployed
if they report fully and factually about water supply issues so we see
only what the banking sector that runs MWD want us to see.
If's surrogates keep honest reporters misguided so that they post
misinformation that editors fine-tune to make sure critical matters
are not discussed and primary questions are not answered.

Every impartial civil engineer not constrained by unspoken threats of
unemployment and retribution will tesify that California's water resource
management is absurd, that importation from north to south is totally
unnecessaary, that saving rainwater costs much less than draining it
through cities, that Southern California has a superabundant supply.
James Marple

San Diego, CA

#51 Aug 28, 2014
Toxic chemicals are the the nutrient that causes algae growth.

What does that tell us about the Diamond Valley Lake reservoir,
primary source of water for Riverside and San Diego counties?

Another thing; It tells you the rules against swimming in it are
ridiculous except to protect the public from its polluted water.

And another thing; It tells you that your politicians are either not
bright enough - or not honest enough - to hire and properly instruct
capable, honest county / city agency managers.
BLACKE1

Hemet, CA

#52 Aug 28, 2014
ONE PROBLEM IS LIKE DIAMOND LAKE AND HEMET LAKE IS THAT HOMELESS AND ILLIGALS USING THE WATHER TO SWIM AND TAKE BATHS IN DOES NOT HELP. THE PEOPLE WHO RUN HEMET LAKE CLEAN THERE RESTROOMS EVEYDAY FROM TAGGERS( SHOULD SEE THE ONES AT THE DMV IN HEMET ) AND THESE PEOPLE ARE BRING MOST OF WHAT IS GOING ON INTO OUR COUNTRY
Chris

Murrieta, CA

#53 Aug 28, 2014
the "blackwater" topic on the temecula forum that keeps dissapearing since 07 there has been a high concern about maganeese in the ground water which will cause your water to turn black http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/yourwater/...
james marple

San Diego, CA

#54 Aug 30, 2014
The problem of manganese and other pollutants is correctable.
That's why CRWM formulated a Comprehensive Watershed Management Plan for the Santa Margarita River basin 25 years ago.

60 years ago a half-dozen citizens of Fresno, concerned about the qualit and amount of
water provided to their families, worked hard to find out what they could do about it.

Their research led them to reject the CA WaterAtlas propaganda published by UC-Berkeley
(bribed by grants from Gov Brown) and invite UC-Davis civil engineers to advise them.
The action plan these impartial experts gave them said "save your rain as ordered by the
CA Water Code ("guide all or any stormwaters into soils of the District"),
So they informed the public of this.
The public threw out foolish and corrupt politicians.

The new ones took control of their city's land-water planning away from corrupted
County Supervisors and hired capable planners who desigend their landscapes to
guide all stormwaters into the soil to replenish their aquifers.

The result: Contraminated groundwater was flushed out and replaced with pure water
so that their homes are fully supplied despite getting only half as much rain as San Diego.
Pesticides, salts, manganese etc were removed by the simplest, cheapest of planning modes.
It could be done in SE RivCo if a few people work hard enough to lay facts and figures in
front of voters so that the vicious cycle of misinforming/corrupting politicians is broken.
james marple

San Diego, CA

#55 Sep 8, 2014
If residents of Riverside County were collectively smart enough to hire a majority of competent
politicians these would hire a Chief Engineer who would adopt federally-recommended land
planning that trapa stormwater wherever it falls so that it does not accumulate as floodwater.
This would put "RivCo in compliance with State Law for a chanbe.
This would end flooding. This would provide a huge surplus of pure water.

The CA Water Code written in 1945, by what was apparently the last CA Legislature with a
majority of capable, honest members, ordered all public servants to apply this planning.
But cunning professional liars serving the business sector that profits from mismanagement
have fed us garbage information through corrupted news services so that we elect politicians
who do not demand this planning from the agency managers they hire.

Now we are seeing both extremes of the result of this deliberate mismanagement.
Simultaneous water shortages and flooding. A contradiction that defies common sense.

We have lenty of excellent civil engineers with good personal integrity in our universiteis .
Their advise is "free". But the people we've elected were conned into paying huge fees to
professoinal liars who serve dishonest public agency chiefs and the private sector by
testifying falsely to our politicians and hews services.

So we will lose more pure, free water this week than we use all year, forcing us to pay
extortion prices to those invisible criminals who abuse their control over the news media
and public servants to keep us fooled so that we keep on electing nitwits and crooks.

We are our own worst enemy when it comes to managing public affairs.
Jason from State Farm

Murrieta, CA

#56 Sep 10, 2014
All of you are crazy. Nazi republicans did not steel the helpless water spirits from the Colorado river to feed into the Cow concentration camps to torture animals. The water smells and taste bad because the filtration process is expensive and they are using cheap methods to filter our water.
james marple

San Diego, CA

#57 Thursday Oct 2
The water smells and taste bad because it IS bad.
Ask low-level USGS and EPA techs.(Not where they work, though, and promise to not quote them.)
It is loaded with more than 2,000 complex chemical compounds of widely varying toxicity.
These react in combination with greatly magnified effect so that the federal standards they meet individually are meaningless. They pass through our skin with ease to damage the DNA of our cells that then replicate in mutant form to generate cancer-autism-asthma-diabetes- cardiac diseases.
Our public servants know this but their jobs depend on pleasing bosses whose jobs depend on pleasing bank chaimen who can count profits in billions yearly if voters are kept ignorant of this.
Yes, this is 'conspiracy thinking.
Because it is a conspiracy. Of enormous scope. Simple racketeering.
It reaches from local water employees who take samples when/where they know conecentrations will be lowest, to well-paid labs that apply tests in ways that produce low "certified" test results.
It reaches from water managers who encourage (require) this subterfuge to the PR persons they hire to spin words so that politicians and we customers believe good tech is applied by competent and trustworthy public servants.
This routine deceit is orchestrated by the business sector persons who collect enormous windfall profits from selling water for delivery by MWD, in addition to their windfalll profits from selling the huge volume of electricity required to pump it over mountains.(17% of the State total)
The sensible alternative to importing sewage contaminated river water is saving 12% of our total rainfall right here in Southern Californa. This is so simple, so quick and cheap, that we'd be paying about $12 a month for more than double our present usage if we'd elected majorities of sensible, honest polticians over the past half-century. But then our water managers would lose pensions....
Hatethehaters

Brea, CA

#58 Wednesday Oct 8
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Ya know james,i guess I must have taken your postings wrong.I agree with most everything you posted here, And it seems as though no-one else give's a damn about this country and how it's run anymore.It makes me sick the blatant lies and out right fraud this administration(And previous) but It's Far bigger than just Rainwater. It's pretty much getting to be everything gas,food,health-care. but yes i wouldn't mind getting up to speed on it.I have a brother who works in IT @ MWD I won't give his position. but,I think it all comes down to money,I believe there are some Hard times ahead of all of us.
That is a pretty powerful statement to me who's been telling everyone we are in for a rude awakening here right quick I can see the writing on the wall. Friends going against friends. More police and government in what use to be strictly a family matter, a family's personal business! Innocent people are doing prison sentences just because DA's gotta get elected again so whatever it takes to solve cases get Er done!!! No matter what it costs someone in way of their rights and freedom. It's all about getting their hands on our almighty dollars!!' We will rise up and be enough to take back our government.., yet WE CANT!! We don't know how to communicate with others! We fail terribly loving our fellow man.
Chris

Murrieta, CA

#59 Wednesday Oct 8
i don't know about anyone else but about a month or two ago i received my "water quality report" I was supprised at the level of barium sulfate and manganese.
james marple

San Diego, CA

#60 Wednesday Oct 8
Chris
Barium sulfate is a harmless tracer for medical x-ray use, a very weak solution.
But the element barium in its many forms is one of the least understood contaminants in SW Riverside County drinking water. It can soak into wellwaters from industrial waste or gasoline leakage, enter imported river water by mixing of natural saline and brine waters, and leach out of landfills that contain waste cans of paint or rust inhibitor.  Water importation by MWD blends barium from mines and landfills throughout the Sacramento River watershed with Delta brine as it is delivered to Murrieta-Temecula where it complements naturally occurring barium in local soils.

Barium's USEPA maximum contaminant level of 2.0 mg/L may be exceeded many times in a month without being detected by local water agencies because Imported and local water are constantly blended to dilute high salt content. A knowledgeable tech can therefore sample selectively to 'adjust' water quality tests so that they do not reveal excessive amounts of barium.

The USEPA has found barium to be a potential cause of increased blood pressure,  gastrointestinal problems, muscle weakness, and negative effects upon the nervous and circulatory system when people are exposed to it at levels above the 2.0 level for even relatively short periods of time:  &#8232; http://www.maca.gov.nt.ca/operations/water/WW...

It should be noted that private labs testing water for local use get a major part of their income from MWD and local agencies. Perhaps the flagrantly phony tests common two decades ago have been corrected, but my tours of the Valley this summer showed that rainwater management methods in new home tracts are still "just plain stupid", so a heavy load of complex chemical compounds is percolating down to wellwaters of the Valley from the 'urban drool' street runoff pouring into dry creekbeds in defiance of State law and federal regulations.

The RCFC&WCD is still a primary weapon of mass deception for the land development industry, perpetuating this condition to keep its Chief Engineer and top managers well-paid for correcting
the problems they cause by ignoring CA Water Code's instructions in their charter. Re-electing incumbents will make sure the extortion of public wealth and delivery of bad water continues.

Manganese in drinking water can cause a number of problems. At concentrations above 0.15 mg/L it stains plumbing fixtures and laundry, produces bad tasting drinks. It causes microbial growths in a distribution system, may form black coatings on water distribution pipes at concentrations below 0.05 mg/L. Manganese is a major concern for systems that use wellwater without a comprehensive watershed recharge plan. As with barium and other contaminants, it is commonly reported at lower than actual concentration to protect the job security of managers and politicians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ugly women with ugly tattoos!!!!! (Oct '12) 1 hr you are the problem 91
2 females found dead on Girard St in Hemet (Nov '13) 4 hr jaeh 51
more section 8 housing coming soon 7 hr baby boomer 11
Cal Fire Sucks (Nov '11) 21 hr EastEndResidentnt 42
Finders Keepers Estate Sun Molly 1
FUBU Clothing Company is Racist (Oct '12) Oct 17 Daeavalis 45
Bob PratteHEMET: Huffing motive to air conditio... Oct 17 unknown 2

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match