Since: Sep 11

Wheelersburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

So I was reading the thread on the coin shop and saw the post regarding a tunnel that supposedly runs under Florida ave,. There IS or was such a tunnel back in the day, there IS a sealed off "doorway" of sorts in the basement of the old Bank of Hemet bldg.( the two story blue bldg @ Florida & Harvard, today it is The Old Photo Company and the Grandfather Clock shop )it runs under Harvard down to what was Gibell's hardware store ( today it is Sharkey's Pizza ) and then goes under Florida ave to what was the old Hotel Hemet ) I got the info/story from an old timer who's father was the mgr. of the Hotel back in the day. He told me about the day the bank got held up ( maybe 1914 - 1915 ) and a possee of young bucks chased the robbers out State st to Gibell road till the road ended, they all were driving model T's. He said they were gonna go back to the stable in town, get some horses and track the robber's down. One of the guy's decided to give chase on foot, everybody told him to just wait till the mounted possee got back but he decided to go ahead alone, he got shot & wounded, hauled him back to town to get him patched up and the mounted possee eventualy captured the bad guy's. I don't know about gold or drug smugglers ? or any floods etc., BUT, I got this tale from an eyewitness so, I gotta go with it. I also heard this same story from old Charlie Van Fleet, the most informed "un-official "historian" of Hemet back in about 1980 or so. AND, BTW,....... I would NOT believe ANYTHING that city hall puts out in regards to the history of Hemet, they don't even know where the majority of the old photo's they have on the city website originated from.
Bankster

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2011

Judged:

I have heard it said that Florida Avenue used to be in the Guiness Book of World Records as "The Street That Has the Most Banks". Can anyone confirm/disprove this? Nowadays there certainly are lots of bank *buildings* all along Florida Avenue but some are no longer banks.
Skyskier

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2011

Judged:

Back in the early '80's, one of the VP's from The Bank Of Hemet did an interview with The Wall St. Journal,............she stated that there was more money on Florida ave than there was on Wall St.
DancinDonut

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2011

I heard the same things..about there being a under ground tunnel, and that at one time Florida Avenue banks had more money than Wall Street.
Calvin

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2011

I truly enjoy reading about the history of Hemet. Especially from those who can tell us things that are not really known to everyone, such as the tunnels and the several banks along Florida Avenue.
I happen to be the forth generation of a large family that originally came from Cuba.
When I was small boy, my seven brothers and I would listen to stories that our G Grandfather would tell. He told us about how he and his cousin robbed banks and fancy Hotels but never hurt anyone. He told us about some gold coins they had buried after one of their robberies. But because they were so drunk, they couldnít remember its location. As the years went by we collected more information about the gold coins and we think they would be worth almost a million dollars in todayís market value. He said that he always felt that the location of the buried loot was in one of the tunnels that run across Florida Avenue. And from the information we gathered from him, we believed that the location is somewhere under where the hardware store use to be on Florida ave. We also, believe that a secret entrance to a tunnel that connects to other tunnels is actually in the basement of that building.
But now we will never know because that hardware store closed. It would be great if we could hear from others who might know more about this.
I SAW IT

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2011

Calvin wrote:
I truly enjoy reading about the history of Hemet. Especially from those who can tell us things that are not really known to everyone, such as the tunnels and the several banks along Florida Avenue.
I happen to be the forth generation of a large family that originally came from Cuba.
When I was small boy, my seven brothers and I would listen to stories that our G Grandfather would tell. He told us about how he and his cousin robbed banks and fancy Hotels but never hurt anyone. He told us about some gold coins they had buried after one of their robberies. But because they were so drunk, they couldnít remember its location. As the years went by we collected more information about the gold coins and we think they would be worth almost a million dollars in todayís market value. He said that he always felt that the location of the buried loot was in one of the tunnels that run across Florida Avenue. And from the information we gathered from him, we believed that the location is somewhere under where the hardware store use to be on Florida ave. We also, believe that a secret entrance to a tunnel that connects to other tunnels is actually in the basement of that building.
But now we will never know because that hardware store closed. It would be great if we could hear from others who might know more about this.
Your story about the basement in the old Sharps Hardware Store is true!
I donít know how you knew about it because only a few people know about it.
When I worked at the store, it was a good five years until I found out about it. And that was only by accident. I was stacking some lumber in the lower room and when I removed a sheet of plywood, I discovered steps leading down to a narrow door. I went down the steps and had to push hard on the door due to it being warped from dampness. I got it open and stood there looking into pure darkness, suddenly a cold breeze chilled my body and a musty odor like old dirt filled the air.
With goose bumps on my arms and the hair raised on the back of my neck, I just stood there peering into whatever the darkness held.
Then fear came over me and with all my strength I pull the door closed and up the stairs I flew.
As I hurried back into the store I didnít want to look back because I just knew some evil monster was behind me, I found my co worker Kelly, she had worked there longer than I had and told her what I had discovered.
She told me to never speak of what I saw to anyone because it is a secret tunnel leading to other buildings along Florida Ave.
two homeland morons

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2011

Judged:

2 homeland morons who are the same idiot running their mouths about hidden treasures from harmless robberies...

what jerks....how about going down there for aqbout 5 years and search you morons...
I Saw It

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2011

Judged:

two homeland morons wrote:
2 homeland morons who are the same idiot running their mouths about hidden treasures from harmless robberies...
what jerks....how about going down there for aqbout 5 years and search you morons...
Actually, I live in Hemet. I don't know why the forum showed that I am in HomeLand. Nonetheless, my friend you are welcome to your own opinion.
Apparently, you donít know a lot about the History of the city of Hemet.
Many unknown facts about Hemet can be found through research at our Library. The history of the tunnels can be found in three separate books, titled Hemet Underground Vol. 1 and 2, The third book is titled The Tunnels of Hemet.
I realize that it must be difficult for a narrow minded person not to grasp the slightest possibility the tunnels are actually there but I ask that you take time to do the research and return to this forum to write about your discoveries.
Good Luck my Friend.
andy

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2011

I Saw It wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I live in Hemet. I don't know why the forum showed that I am in HomeLand. Nonetheless, my friend you are welcome to your own opinion.
Apparently, you don’t know a lot about the History of the city of Hemet.
Many unknown facts about Hemet can be found through research at our Library. The history of the tunnels can be found in three separate books, titled Hemet Underground Vol. 1 and 2, The third book is titled The Tunnels of Hemet.
I realize that it must be difficult for a narrow minded person not to grasp the slightest possibility the tunnels are actually there but I ask that you take time to do the research and return to this forum to write about your discoveries.
Good Luck my Friend.
Hello, would you mind Emailing me? I'd like to ask questions about the tunnels. beanyewest@yahoo.com
DancinDonut

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2011

Here is also a little known fact. Did you all know there is a shooting range under Bj's Sporting Goods Store? They no longer use it, but it was built for the peace officers to use back in the 40's and 50's.

But before that, I am sure it was used for something else.
Tim Donahue

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2011

Bankster wrote:
I have heard it said that Florida Avenue used to be in the Guiness Book of World Records as "The Street That Has the Most Banks". Can anyone confirm/disprove this? Nowadays there certainly are lots of bank *buildings* all along Florida Avenue but some are no longer banks.
What I saw in the Hemet News many years ago was that Florida Avenue in Hemet had more money in banks - per capita = than any street west of Wall Street.
Edward

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2011

Here is another bit of Hemet History. The building on the North West corner of Florida and State has a basement. I know that a couple of the employees who work there are not aware of its existence. But the real excitement is that there is a tunnel leading from that basement to somewhere on Harvard Street. Who knows where and how many exits there are in that tunnel?
I would be interested in hearing more about this from anyone who knows the truth.
I hope that only sincere and knowledgeable people share their information with us because there are so many secrets of Hemet. It would be a real treat for us all who live here in Hemet to learn more about the hidden history of our great city.
Steve

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2011

DancinDonut wrote:
Here is also a little known fact. Did you all know there is a shooting range under Bj's Sporting Goods Store? They no longer use it, but it was built for the peace officers to use back in the 40's and 50's.
But before that, I am sure it was used for something else.
Could you elaborate on that a little more, because BJís Sporting Goods did not open until 1990.
Kim

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

I think he means the Jim Cains building.
Voice of reason

Perris, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you elaborate on that a little more, because BJís Sporting Goods did not open until 1990.
If I remember correctly, BJ's has been around alot longer, but they moved from Florida and Yale. The current location used to be Yellowmart, which had similar merchandise. So it could be possible. I have been in some of the catacombs in downtown Riverside, the ideas of tunnels did seem to be popular in the earlier part of the century.
californiagirl

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

BJ's sporting goods store was Jim Cain's when I moved here in 1969 and it was something else before that. Just can't remember the name.
Dancin Donut

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

The store where Bj's Sporting is has been several different stores over the years. At some time, it had to be a store related, that they used it for a firing range. I just do not know that...maybe some one else does.

It is just interesting to see others know of this history too, I wish the Press Enterprise or the Valley Chronicle would do a expose' the basement/tunnels etc.

LMBO!! maybe open a few of these tunnels/basements for tourist...make some MONEY for Hemet, since they are so flat broke.
Doctor

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

Judged:

I have been reading the stories of the tunnels under Florida ave. and found it very interesting, so I contacted my friend Harold Ezell. Harold has lived here in Hemet since his childhood and delivered mail for many years in Hemet. He informed me that there are several tunnels under Florida avenue and there is one directly under the post office on State street. It's being used as storage and has been for a long time. Harold said that the tunnels are not well known and those who do know a lot about them are either dead or in a home somewhere. I am now interested in forming a group of interested people to actually explore those tunnels. If anyone is truely interested in going with me, Sign the sign up sheet at Snails store. If we get enough people interested then we will contact City Hall and get permission to go down there.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2011

City Hall is not likely to give permission. But, where is this "Snails" store? Do you mean Sail's drug store? I will sign up. I'll even lead the expedition.
Zak

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2011

I do believe that the doctor meant Sails Drugs.
Good luck to you and anyone else who signs up for the "underground tunnel" That should be interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hemet Discussions

Search the Hemet Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 hr Bruno 200,242
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 9 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 13 hr all doned in 4,864
Omg!! I can't believe my eyes so many blacks in... (May '13) 17 hr Just once 168
The Waterfalls (May '09) 18 hr hiker2 14
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
Do you approve of Jerry Franchville as Mayor? (Apr '12) Sat Becki Fire 5
•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hemet People Search