Tap Water and Black Substance

Posted in the Hemet Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Blue

United States

#1 Nov 23, 2013
Has anyone experienced unsafe tap water in the Sun City or Menifee area?
There is a very disturbing discovery that is coming from my tap water. I believe it is the source of multiple health issues that my pets and I have been experiencing.
If anyone has had the same issue or has any information or suggestions please post them.
I believe that this is a serious issue but do not know if it is a issue that effects the community or this home only.
There were signs of this after cleaning around the kitchen faucet with bleach. The situation was enhanced when the faucet was put into a cup water and bleach and left to soak for less than an hour. The results was so disgusting and frightening I did the same thing with the shower head and the substance was worse.
There was a black foaming and black substance that came out that was so thick it was like lava.
Possible it is a fungus, mold, mites, or ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

Temecula, CA

#2 Nov 25, 2013
Blue wrote:
Has anyone experienced unsafe tap water in the Sun City or Menifee area?
There is a very disturbing discovery that is coming from my tap water. I believe it is the source of multiple health issues that my pets and I have been experiencing.
If anyone has had the same issue or has any information or suggestions please post them.
I believe that this is a serious issue but do not know if it is a issue that effects the community or this home only.
There were signs of this after cleaning around the kitchen faucet with bleach. The situation was enhanced when the faucet was put into a cup water and bleach and left to soak for less than an hour. The results was so disgusting and frightening I did the same thing with the shower head and the substance was worse.
There was a black foaming and black substance that came out that was so thick it was like lava.
Possible it is a fungus, mold, mites, or ?
Any help would be appreciated.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED A RE-PIPE,how old is your house?
Blue

United States

#3 Nov 25, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED A RE-PIPE,how old is your house?
Hi Chris- Thank you so much for the response. I would like to hear more...have you seen what I am describing to you before? Because I can hardly believe my eyes! The home was built in the 1960's I believe. It's a cookie cutter parcel within the Sun City Senior Community.
How serious is this and what is it? If I had to take a guess after reading and researching my guess would be the big bad "M" word mold.
I understand if you aren't able to say but if you had a link or hint where I could go to get some information with photos I would greatly appreciate it.
By chance can you tell me what the reason is for a repipe? What exactly is causing this? How long it takes to get to this stage and so forth.
Would this effect only this property?
Because how I found this out isn't something that I would have done normally and the only reason why I came to check/clean that area like that is because I eliminated all other sources. Thanks again.
Chris

Temecula, CA

#4 Dec 6, 2013
Well, I had a rental re-piped in hemet, the house was nuilt in the 60's as well.A lot of times, only the cold water lines are effected with black sludge because the hot water lines have more pressure. the "Black Stuff" (usually oxidized sulfur, manganese or Iron) Pvc, PEX does not coat as easily as metal therefore you see less build up. The only easy solution to this is to replace your lines with pex tubing or some sort of water filtration system.Now i copeer re-piped, because of the cost for pex,remember if you decide to re-pipe estimated cost's from plumbing companies ARE FOR THE HOUSE ONLY.It does not cover Main line to the meter.It was around $4,300 for the re-pipe, and they wanted another $2,800 for the main line(Most of that was labor) I told them I would do the main-line myself. So good luck with that, But re-piping WILL eliminate your problem.(but make sure you do the main line too) You won't believe the pressure, Like night and Day.
James Marple

San Diego, CA

#5 Dec 7, 2013
Years ago a public works employee in Tallahassee
described a procedure that worked well for him and
neighbors even though officials said it would not and
tried to push customers into hiring professionals for
complete replacement of old iron and copper lines.

These folks had a problem in their hot lines only.
So they shut off the main line, disconnected the OUT line
of their heater, and ran a hose from the heater to a small
pressure tank with several pounds of fine clean sand in it.
They hooked that to the outgoing line of the heater and
turned on the pressure at the meter.

By progressily opening and closing faucets they flushed
our each section of their systems with hot water that
carried sand whenever they shook the tank.

Then they hooked the heater's OUT line back up and
cleared the lines by again opening faucets one at a time.

To his knowledge all who did this fixed their problems of
slow flow and dirty water, he knew of no failures although
one repeated the process using five pounds of sand before
clearing his pipes out.

But he expected some could have leaky faucets afterward
if they shut them too tightly after letting the sand flow out
or did not run the water long enough while the tank was
not moved before shutting them off.

He asked me to not mention his name because the plumber's
union would have him fired if his boss didn't fire him first.
Chris

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Dec 7, 2013
The only problem with the above is when you have pipes that are 40-50 years old the corrosion is built up to the point where the pipe is almost completely plugged, as was the case with our house.Sand for one thing has more of a potential do do more damage(with that old of pipes)and possibly cost you more in the long run.With something as important as your water,to me it makes more since to do it right.
James Marple

San Diego, CA

#7 Dec 8, 2013
Chris

Yes, that sand flush cure could do damage, but the choice is
complete replacement and many folks can't afford that.

Half a century ago residents of Sun City and Menifee were deceived
by their news services into electing fools and crooks who refused to
apply commonsense rainwater storage programs. So now they are
paying the price in the form of grossly inflated property taxes and
utility bills, along with expensive medical care brought on by the
imported water they were forced to drink and bathe in.

As long as citizens choose to "let someone else do it" when local
land-water-energy management issues arise they will be made
victims by the criminal element of their business sectort that buys
news services and polticians so that it can manipulate planning in
ways that bring windfall profits from land development projects.

Capable, conscientious politicians would have corrected the dirty
water problem long ago by using only water from wells and keeping
these refilled with commonsense rainwater management planning.
Blue

United States

#8 Dec 8, 2013
Thank you both for your thoughts and time. I really appeciate it.
I contacted the water department in an effort to gain more information and/or eliminate the source. They were baffled and are testing the water. One thing is for sure they only have authority up to the outdoor faucet. However they have been extremely attentive and advised that I do not use the water until they can get results of test. The general guess is that a pipe may have broken and it is combined with the good water is coming into home. It's really hard to describe what I have discovered because its so unbelievable. It's not just a few flakes...it is thick and black and greasy, it also seperates when let to just sit. It's gross. You can see the black mass in the hose line that is in the kitchen faucet. It's coming our of the bathrooms and laundry room too as I noticed it in the laundry tub water turning a dark grey along with all my white clothes.
From what I hear there have been at 3 other neighbors that have had pipes crack in the past few weeks in this general area.
Thing is my neighbors wouldn't believe me even if I tried to bring this to their attention. They would make fun of me and wonder what I was smoking. But I am true blue honest to a fault and have the video, photos, and jars full of what came out. Even with all the evidence I refuse to put myself out there to be the target of neighbors acting like bullies. Pretty sad that seniors act this way but they do...so they can stay in the dark as far as I am concerned.
So Chris and James I sincerely appreciate your responses that are educated and helpful.
Chris

Temecula, CA

#9 Dec 9, 2013
James Marple wrote:
Chris
Yes, that sand flush cure could do damage, but the choice is
complete replacement and many folks can't afford that.
Half a century ago residents of Sun City and Menifee were deceived
by their news services into electing fools and crooks who refused to
apply commonsense rainwater storage programs. So now they are
paying the price in the form of grossly inflated property taxes and
utility bills, along with expensive medical care brought on by the
imported water they were forced to drink and bathe in.
As long as citizens choose to "let someone else do it" when local
land-water-energy management issues arise they will be made
victims by the criminal element of their business sectort that buys
news services and polticians so that it can manipulate planning in
ways that bring windfall profits from land development projects.
Capable, conscientious politicians would have corrected the dirty
water problem long ago by using only water from wells and keeping
these refilled with commonsense rainwater management planning.
The REAL fact here is your dealing with over 50 yer old pipes? but on the latest post, it does seem to be possibly more than just bad pipes,I would have called the water company too.But you can't forget that your pipes being that old are probably galvanized(like mine were) out of code and corrode,The pressure will continue to decrease to the point where it will start costing even more,Water-heater broken lines ect, I know its very expensive, but eventually it must be done.
Blue

United States

#10 Dec 11, 2013
Well the results are in and boy are they shocking. Chris I believe you are correct with your information. The scary thing is the reading for the copper count. Max allowable for safe use is 13000 and my reading was 54844.
It could be that a ground electrical wire could be causing problem too. I am having my electrician come over and test that today.
But the water coming into home test ok it's the pipes.
We will see what the electrician says today.
Chris

Temecula, CA

#11 Dec 11, 2013
Good luck,re-pipe is expensive but well worth it,I'm curious what the ph of the water is? if you have a low ph(Which means your water is acidic)And copper pipes, the water would be blue.You said it has a high level of copper in the water,Curious what the other metal counts are,The ph should be between 7.4-7.6 higher than 7.6 water becomes corrosive,below 7.4 water becomes acidic.
Blue

United States

#12 Dec 12, 2013
Chris since you are curious I happen to have those numbers. Cobalt 1.3, nickel 75736.5, silver 0.171, zinc 327.58, manganese 2.62, lead 4.39, aluminum 45.21, chromium 677.83, and iron 46.06.
My friend the electrician rescheduled for Monday to test the ground so have to wait until than.
By chance you wouldn't have any insight on the hot water tank and what effects it might have if the temp is on high or hot?
Thanks for your time.
Chris

Temecula, CA

#13 Dec 16, 2013
Wow your nickle count is sky high,What sucks is the EPA currently has no regulation on nickle count in drinking water.I'm working on a T1 water chemistry program cert. I used to manage a pool company.When working with pools it's parts per million(ppm?) With drinking water it's parts per billion(PPB) very interesting,Did they just check for metals? or did you have a reverse osmosis analysis done? As far as the hot water heater,having it on hot shouldn't have that kind of effect on your water,I have mine set up on high too.I no ph has a big effect on water,But i'm wondering if you might have an excessive metal build up in your old pipes? Are your pipes galvanized?
Chris

Temecula, CA

#14 Dec 16, 2013
here's a link that tells you about metals in the water,that might help you http://www.water-research.net/iron.htm
Blue

United States

#15 Dec 17, 2013
Thanks Chris I will be reviewing that link.
And here is one for you. This will shock you...I believe. Remember when watching this the holding container is green and it's a regular plastic pitcher filled with water from the shower and I poured a little bit of regular old bleach in the water and took the shower fixture and set it in the pitcher of water and bleach. So the water was clear but not for long. This was the same results in the kitchen with that faucet. Anyway...check it out!

http://youtu.be/anb_SDB8zKc

Maybe you will have the answer after watching the video. I will be waiting to hear what you think.
Thanks for your time. Perhaps you can respond to me via YouTube and I can answer the previous thoughts you had.
Blue

United States

#16 Dec 17, 2013
Chris wrote:
here's a link that tells you about metals in the water,that might help you http://www.water-research.net/iron.htm
I wonder if your pipes were producing this type of substances?
http://youtu.be/anb_SDB8zKc
CHRIS

Temecula, CA

#17 Dec 18, 2013
OMG, That's GOT to be oil contamination.And did you say, that was city water, or a well? i have never seen metal contamination that resembles anything like that,and thats quite a bit, oil also turns brownish when mixed with water I would do some research on ground contamination around,To me it looks like someone has been burying there motor oil, instead of turning it in,does it a have an oily smell or sewage smell? Is your house the only one with this problem? have any neighbors had similar situation's?.I would suggest isolating the issue, to see if you can pinpoint it to your property or if it is effecting any of your neighbors,Did you show the water company this? If you don't mind like i said earlier, i was working on a t1 certification for water treatment, my older brother is supervising IT manager @ Metropolitan Water District In Los Angeles.(The mother company of all these locals) If you don't mind i will forward that link to him, And Maybe he can run it by one of his buddies down there, No guarantees but i could try. If thats oil contamination, Its going to be An EPA Mess.
Blue

United States

#18 Dec 20, 2013
Well the electrician just tested the faucets in the bath, kitchen, and at the meter. He said there was 1 volt going through the pipes. He wasn't sure if that amount would do damage or cause the problem. He didn't seem concerned.
So that kinda knocks out that option? Or does it not? I would have to research.
Blue

United States

#19 Dec 20, 2013
Good grief! My previous response was deleted. So much for the freedom of speech in the USA. Wasn't like I used profanity....makes you wonder than why someone would delete a post on a forum that has to do with the water? Hmmm.
Chris, perhaps you could send me an email through YouTube?
Please do ask your brother if he can provide some insight. I could really use the help. I don't know where else to go. And what really haunts me is why can't I get an answer to what this stuff is? Water company did not tell me they only provide the metals. But they too were horrified when they saw the video and photos and they had a sample of it.
The stuff does have a greasy feel to it and is hard to get off your fingers when you touch it. It also separates when left to stand.
Thanks so much for your time and insight. I appreciate it.
CHRIS

Temecula, CA

#20 Dec 20, 2013
Is this city water?, if so who's the supplier? Eastern Municiple?(EMWD)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legalized Panhandling @ Stater Bros!!! Menifee (Apr '10) Sun Revelations 9
soboba indains beat teen girls 2x while walking... (Sep '09) Dec 3 Hpinkmi 13
News Gay priest from Redlands discusses sexuality, r... (Feb '15) Nov 29 Mike 11
Are black people afraid of if crosswalks? (Jan '12) Nov 28 Regolith Based Li... 22
young gay guys in hemet (Oct '14) Nov 28 tellinitlikeitis 17
Can white people call themselves African American? (Sep '12) Nov 26 Realest 154
Menifee- will it take a turn for the worst? (Aug '09) Nov 23 Pantiks 92

Hemet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hemet Mortgages