helen and the people in it is the best there is
pearl the frist

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Oct 1, 2010
Thay are same good people and same bad
no name Helen WV

Oak Hill, WV

#3 Oct 2, 2010
Helen used to be a real nice place to live and raise kids in, now 2/3 of the people are druggies. Very few of the people that lives their are drug free.
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#4 Oct 4, 2010
there are good and bad people every where but the worst in helen are better than most every where else
we have been coming down there for three years now we like it so mutch we bought a house there last year the people are real what you see is what you get I am sure thay are people in helen that take drugs can anyone name a town in the U.S. that is drug free?
no name Helen WV

Oak Hill, WV

#5 Oct 10, 2010
harold jackson wrote:
there are good and bad people every where but the worst in helen are better than most every where else
we have been coming down there for three years now we like it so mutch we bought a house there last year the people are real what you see is what you get I am sure thay are people in helen that take drugs can anyone name a town in the U.S. that is drug free?
Hey Harold, where did you find a house in Helen, I have been looking for one for a year or two and can't find one. Do you live their now, haven't heard the name before.
Anonymous

Silver Spring, MD

#6 Oct 11, 2010
We bought Bill Handys place we go down about once a month to ride atv and kick back
Do you live near thre?
didobaggins

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Oct 12, 2010
no name Helen WV wrote:
Helen used to be a real nice place to live and raise kids in, now 2/3 of the people are druggies. Very few of the people that lives their are drug free.
come on rly 2/3 a little high don't u think ..the people who is doing pillz and what ever don't bother a soul and chance's are if u need help they would be right there to help Helen has really good people in it and rly what better place to raise a kid . and seeing a guy from m.d defending our town is just awesome.i salute u Harold with the up most respect
Anonymous

Silver Spring, MD

#8 Oct 12, 2010
didobaggins wrote:
<quoted text> come on rly 2/3 a little high don't u think ..the people who is doing pillz and what ever don't bother a soul and chance's are if u need help they would be right there to help Helen has really good people in it and rly what better place to raise a kid . and seeing a guy from m.d defending our town is just awesome.i salute u Harold with the up most respect
thank you didobaggins that is what im talking about
no name Helen WV

Oak Hill, WV

#9 Oct 12, 2010
harold jackson wrote:
We bought Bill Handys place we go down about once a month to ride atv and kick back
Do you live near thre?
I did many years ago about 40 yrs in fact. I live in Oak Hill now. I go through their about every 2 weeks with my job.
Anonymous

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Oct 14, 2010
no name Helen WV wrote:
<quoted text>I did many years ago about 40 yrs in fact. I live in Oak Hill now. I go through their about every 2 weeks with my job.
you must have lived thre in the 60s or 70s was helen about the same as it is now
anoer Helen person

Oak Hill, WV

#11 Oct 14, 2010
sorry to butt in --in the 70s there were a lot of coal trucks running through helen -the helen mines were mined out but surrounding areas were still booming. the helen school was closed but Mark Twain Schoolin Stotesbury was open. both my parents were raised in helen and i was too mostly. we had a lot of good clean MISCHEVIOUS fun!!!if youre interested in helen history google "HELEN W.V." and look at some old photos.
harold jackson

Charlotte Hall, MD

#12 Oct 14, 2010
anoer Helen person wrote:
sorry to butt in --in the 70s there were a lot of coal trucks running through helen -the helen mines were mined out but surrounding areas were still booming. the helen school was closed but Mark Twain Schoolin Stotesbury was open. both my parents were raised in helen and i was too mostly. we had a lot of good clean MISCHEVIOUS fun!!!if youre interested in helen history google "HELEN W.V." and look at some old photos.
anoer helen person: Thank you for your imput I have seen the old photos thay are amazing. I find southern W.V.history fascinating especially when I hear it from the people that lived it.
What did thay do for entertainment back then?
ano ther Helen person

Oak Hill, WV

#13 Oct 14, 2010
we danced at "the grill" the younger crowd.Before my time there was a movie theater later that became THE SATURDAY AUCTION HOUSE" Man THAT was FUN!!!Kids rode bikes. Back before 4-wheelers we had a mini-bike some built "go-carts" out of lawn mower engines.(if your daddy worked for Eastern coal you could go to Hinton to Camp Thomas E. Lightfoot for 2 weeks every summer. THAT WAS THe BEST !!!! And mostly folks were"neighborly" and we had a church softbll league at the "ball diamond"-the weenie roasts seem like they were only yesterday.
harold jackson

Charlotte Hall, MD

#14 Oct 15, 2010
ano ther Helen person wrote:
we danced at "the grill" the younger crowd.Before my time there was a movie theater later that became THE SATURDAY AUCTION HOUSE" Man THAT was FUN!!!Kids rode bikes. Back before 4-wheelers we had a mini-bike some built "go-carts" out of lawn mower engines.(if your daddy worked for Eastern coal you could go to Hinton to Camp Thomas E. Lightfoot for 2 weeks every summer. THAT WAS THe BEST !!!! And mostly folks were"neighborly" and we had a church softbll league at the "ball diamond"-the weenie roasts seem like they were only yesterday.
I knew of the old theater but have not heard of the auction.
sounds as you had a very happy childhood.
ano ther Helen person

Oak Hill, WV

#15 Oct 16, 2010
beats the hell outta being grown!!! things were much simplier then- even if you were grown i imagine. the auction was in the old theater building around the early 70's late 60's. i remember listening to how FAST the auctioneer could talk and at the end of tge night they'd have "grab bags" for like a dollar or 2. this was FUN !!!!
harold jackson

Charlotte Hall, MD

#16 Oct 16, 2010
ano ther Helen person wrote:
beats the hell outta being grown!!! things were much simplier then- even if you were grown i imagine. the auction was in the old theater building around the early 70's late 60's. i remember listening to how FAST the auctioneer could talk and at the end of tge night they'd have "grab bags" for like a dollar or 2. this was FUN !!!!
What do you do for fun now?
Do you ride ATV's?
If so how far from Helen have you been on a ATV?
another helen person

Oak Hill, WV

#17 Oct 16, 2010
I don't have a 4 wheeler now but used to.Man i wish we had trails like "BURNING ROCK" back then we 'roughed it' went like you go to #11 mines,past 2 cemetaries,slab fork and came out in Glen White without ever touching pavement only to cross in Glen White to get to Trap Hill.
another helen person

Oak Hill, WV

#18 Oct 16, 2010
do you use "BURNING ROCK"?
harold jackson

Charlotte Hall, MD

#19 Oct 17, 2010
another helen person wrote:
do you use "BURNING ROCK"?
We buy stickers the rock H&M every year but for the most part we just ride thru to get to other places.
We can ride from Helen to coal city,Pineville, Ashland,Princeton,the wagonwheel,Odd & afew other places.
Thre is aguy a few doors up from us can ride all the way to KY.
In fact we will be down there this coming weekend maybe we will find some new trails
another helen person

Oak Hill, WV

#20 Oct 18, 2010
sounds like a winner!! I know a lot of peolple who know a lot of different trails.Wow all the way to Ky. never would have imagined that. Burning Rock is overpriced from what i hear. I heard the Wagon Wheel is a hoot, like to check that out sometime. I know a guy that trying to sell his ATV. Hes got a lot of $$ tied up in it but is hard up and olny wants 800.00 for it Im considering it,but a little short myself. If you know anybody its a steal!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
natalie and jack 1 hr Blc 29
Foster kids 1 hr Melissa 1
Hey WV republicans or as I call them......... 1 hr Steak 22
Best orthopedic doctor (Sep '13) 1 hr Melissa 26
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 5 hr Jon_B 6,665
Dear Donald pay attention Mr No it All 7 hr Nannet 17
City of Beckley's SNEAKY SALES TAX 9 hr Truth 15

Helen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance