State keeping pigeon shoot tradition ...

State keeping pigeon shoot tradition alive -- Trials, Lehigh Co...

There are 15 comments on the The Morning Call story from Apr 8, 2008, titled State keeping pigeon shoot tradition alive -- Trials, Lehigh Co.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

I hear all the time that Pennsylvania isn't the place it used to be. But there's one area in which our state still is our nation's leader.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Barky von Schnauzer

United States

#1 Apr 8, 2008
These shoots are barbaric, and need to be stopped. Those participating must get some perverse pleasure out of killing or torturing helpless creatures. And to allow teens to "finish them off" is sending one he11 of a message. It is well known, that serial killers start by abusing/killing animals.

“Think”

Since: Mar 07

Chesapeake, VA

#4 Apr 8, 2008
Yet another distraction from the real work that govt should be doing...
Tyrone Jackson

Miami, FL

#5 Apr 8, 2008
I can't believe PA still allows this. We'll be lucky if people read this and see our state as filled with just a bunch of backwoods hicks instead of the animal abusers we seem to be. Releasing animals, pigeons or not, out of boxes and killing them isn't a game; it's just sick.
Newsflash

Washington, DC

#6 Apr 8, 2008
PutBackupBeepersOnFags wrote:
I see, so shooting them in the wild, individually, is preferable to doing them en masse because of the ambiance?
Anybody that needs to shoot a pigeon for the hell of it is a pathetic loser whether they do it in mass or otherwise..
Michael

Falls Church, VA

#7 Apr 8, 2008
It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to animals to amuse themselves. sad.
Local Boy

Allentown, PA

#8 Apr 8, 2008
It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to other people, to amuse themselves. sad; People take the lives of others with thier own hands. Then you have shootings and stabbings; Rapes and beatings just to show ones power over another. This happens every day in every city and town but no outcry about it. Sad!
goon

Bethlehem, PA

#9 Apr 8, 2008
its human nature dude
DJB

Wildomar, CA

#10 Apr 8, 2008
This has been around for far too long. What is taking the legislature so long to address it? What a waste of tax dollars to keep it around in this state and in the courts. This makes Pennsylvania and the hunting community look bad even though no decent hunter would ever support this slimy practice. What ever happened to fair chase?
fester

Allentown, PA

#11 Apr 8, 2008
Hooray, destroy the filthy animals. Rats with feathers.
Barky von Schnauzer

United States

#13 Apr 9, 2008
PutBackupBeepersOnFags wrote:
<quoted text>
People actually eat them, like in restaurants...for a pretty penny too I might add.
I've eaten at many restaurants, and have never seen pigeon on the menu.
LV reader

Lansdale, PA

#14 Apr 9, 2008
DJB wrote:
This has been around for far too long. What is taking the legislature so long to address it? What a waste of tax dollars to keep it around in this state and in the courts. This makes Pennsylvania and the hunting community look bad even though no decent hunter would ever support this slimy practice. What ever happened to fair chase?
Of all the issues facing PA, why should government waste effort on this? If people want to shoot pigeons, then let them.
Let's focus on prison over-crowding, crime, drunk driving, etc.
hmmmm

United States

#18 Apr 9, 2008
We're talking about flying rats that poop all over my car, right? Give me a break!
DJB

Kilmarnock, VA

#19 Apr 9, 2008
LV reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Of all the issues facing PA, why should government waste effort on this? If people want to shoot pigeons, then let them.
Let's focus on prison over-crowding, crime, drunk driving, etc.
It is such a sleezy and cruel practice - surprising that anyone would defend it.
Barky von Schnauzer

United States

#21 Apr 10, 2008
hmmmm wrote:
We're talking about flying rats that poop all over my car, right? Give me a break!
So that means your car (which can be washed) is more important than a living, creature, that doesn't do any damage but a normal, natural bodily function.
eville mom

Vineland, NJ

#22 Jun 25, 2008
I have attended the Hegins Pigeon Shoot all my life, my father took me every year. I had the best times there. They have food and fun activities, not just shooting pigeons. The best part was the silly protestors that actually ran in front of the shooters to save a flea and lice infested animal. They set up make shift so called hospitals and tryed to save the pigeons. More poeple turned out to watch these nuts than the actual shooting of the pigeons. The protestors are the reason 90% of people went to watch. If they would not show up every year, it would have long dies off. Pigeons are filthy animals. My dad had Homer Pigeons also that were raced from different areas and clocked to see how fast they made it home. 1st back to nest would win, is that unhuman also? I was exposed to this my whole life growing up in Tower City and I did not turn out to be a Serial Killer or have never been in any trouble with the law. Attend a shoot before you judge and see for yourself. Half the pigeons are missed totally and fly free, and no teenagers finish them off as someone previously posted. Get the facts before you state that it is wrong, attend then judge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hegins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for owners of Creative Photography and ... (Jan '13) Aug '17 Dee 4
tower city rocks (May '11) Mar '17 Anonymous 3
Local Politics Do you approve of Susan Helm as State Represent... (Sep '12) Mar '17 anonymous 2
News Man Arrested After Allegedly Trying to Run Peop... (Aug '13) Aug '13 finally 1
News Humane Society Speaks out Against Pigeon Shoot ... (Jul '08) May '12 Puzzeled 80
News State Senate committee advances bill that would... (Apr '11) Apr '11 WES II 2
News Fundraiser to aid victim's daughter (Feb '11) Mar '11 Saddened Lebanon ... 6

Hegins Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hegins Mortgages