Yeah

Huntington, WV

#162 May 8, 2013
C11H17N2NaO2S wrote:
<quoted text>
"There is no such thing as "tenure" in public schools"
It is almost too easy:
http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_scripts/a...
http://www.nctq.org/stpy11/pressreleases/stpy...
http://www.teacherportal.com/become/west-virg...
http://teacherunionexposed.com/state.cfm...
Yes, WV has a tenure program for teachers after 3 years. One of two things must be true about why you enjoy this conversation (1) You enjoy lying or (2) You are a troll just trying to start an argument by making wild and false statements.
Neither. I just enjoy speaking with people who are pretentious and overly pompous, and exposing holes in their arguments. I shouldn't have been surprised to hear what your occupation was after a few of your replies. IT people are all the same--you think you know all there is to know about everything just because you're technologically savvy. Cool. Anyway, here's another thought for you--not all teachers are in unions. Chew on that a bit.
I am that GUY

Lavalette, WV

#163 May 8, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
IT people are all the same--you think you know all there is to know about everything just because you're technologically savvy.
They never get the hot chicks either lol.
C11H17N2NaO2S

Palo Alto, CA

#164 May 8, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither. I just enjoy speaking with people who are pretentious and overly pompous, and exposing holes in their arguments. I shouldn't have been surprised to hear what your occupation was after a few of your replies. IT people are all the same--you think you know all there is to know about everything just because you're technologically savvy. Cool. Anyway, here's another thought for you--not all teachers are in unions. Chew on that a bit.
Let me try to understand this. If a person uses poor grammar or spelling, the spelling and grammar Nazis come out of the wood work; however, if you speak in complete sentences and use multi-syllable words, you are pretentious?

You really are a bit of a charlatan. What does it matter if teachers are in the union or not? Tenure is awarded by the State. Unfortunately, you are left with nothing but flinging insults because each time you post a lie, I refute it with facts and evidence. When you can provide nothing to defend your argument other than anecdotes, I reply in kind with similar anecdotes. Maybe it is time for you to put up some facts to support your claims.
Zaphod

Alexandria, VA

#165 May 8, 2013
C11H17N2NaO2S wrote:
<quoted text>Let me try to understand this. If a person uses poor grammar or spelling, the spelling and grammar Nazis come out of the wood work; however, if you speak in complete sentences and use multi-syllable words, you are pretentious?

You really are a bit of a charlatan. What does it matter if teachers are in the union or not? Tenure is awarded by the State. Unfortunately, you are left with nothing but flinging insults because each time you post a lie, I refute it with facts and evidence. When you can provide nothing to defend your argument other than anecdotes, I reply in kind with similar anecdotes. Maybe it is time for you to put up some facts to support your claims.
You're pretentious for many reasons. None of which are good grammar. If you have a career odds are you had quite a few underpaid teachers putting in a lot of time and energy to get you to that point. Show a little gratitude.
Yeah

Huntington, WV

#166 May 8, 2013
C11H17N2NaO2S wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me try to understand this. If a person uses poor grammar or spelling, the spelling and grammar Nazis come out of the wood work; however, if you speak in complete sentences and use multi-syllable words, you are pretentious?
Zaphod is correct. This has nothing to do with grammar or complete sentences. In case you haven't noticed, my grammar and sentence structure are fine, and no one is calling me pretentious. It's that fact that you think you know everything there is to know about teaching just because you can do a little Internet research. You have never stepped foot in a public school classroom. You can post your Googled facts all you want but the FACT remains that you do not truly know the life of a teacher and quite frankly, you probably wouldn't be able to handle it. This is not an insult, it is a fact. You've never taught public school. My whole point of getting on here is just to inform people their stereotypes about teachers are not always correct and until they spend time in the classroom, they need to stop bashing teachers. Not all teachers are the kind who don't care. And as Zaphod said, if it weren't for teachers, you wouldn't have your IT career you love so much. I'm sure there was at least one teacher who influenced you. You need to remember that teacher and think about how they'd feel to see what you posted.
C11H17N2NaO2S

Huntington, WV

#167 May 8, 2013
See, now you are pretentious because I completed Clinical I & II at Pea Ridge Elementary, Huntington East High School, and Huntington High School. Aside from an albeit brief stint in the public classroom, I have taught numerous hours at the Community Tech, Undergraduate, and I have even taught 2 courses at the graduate level. So I am sure you'll have a clever little comment to say that even though I have about 100 credit hours of teaching experience and experience in the public schools I still don't know what the life of a teacher is really like because I am not a "real" teacher. It's funny how you deem yourself worthy enough to make inferences or judge my life experiences without any knowledge or experience in my career; however, I am not worthy to make inferences or judge the career of teaching when I ACTUALLY DO have some experience in the field.

As for FACTS, I am sorry the facts of your assertions were invalidated by a couple quick Google searches to confirm what I already surmised.

YOU asserted teachers didn't have tenure in WV, I posted some sites that showed that isn't true.

YOU asserted that all teachers don't belong to the union, I questioned the relevance of that statement with regards to tenure because the State provides the tenure.

I asserted that you cannot correctly and fairly compare annual salaries because the hours worked per annum are not equal and you retorted with anecdotal stories of how some teachers work extra jobs, work on their MAs, or do professional development. I responded, anecdotally, that I to have worked on my MS, as well as kept up with professional development and certifications WITHOUT the luxury of a 15 week break. YOUR counter to that was, again anecdotally, that teachers work outside of the classroom to grade papers and do not get paid for, but that I probably get overtime. I corrected you again by saying that no I am a salary position and I frequently work much longer than a 40 hour work week without the aid of a "planning period".

The only thing anybody (except Zaphod whom I have watched troll many topix) could take from this is that you believe when you make an unfactual argument, you are just because teachers have it so bad and if anyone disagrees with your invalid assertions with actual fact, you can only retort with insults and more anecdotal BS.

I will stick to my original and only assertion that comparing teacher annual salaries to similarly educated careers, taking into account the number of hours worked, teachers do not have it drastically worse than many other professions. I was tired of reading about how bad teachers are paid and responded with some simple facts to demonstrate my assertions.
Wow

Brooklyn, NY

#168 May 8, 2013
C11H17N2NaO2S wrote:
See, now you are pretentious because I completed Clinical I & II at Pea Ridge Elementary, Huntington East High School, and Huntington High School. Aside from an albeit brief stint in the public classroom, I have taught numerous hours at the Community Tech, Undergraduate, and I have even taught 2 courses at the graduate level. So I am sure you'll have a clever little comment to say that even though I have about 100 credit hours of teaching experience and experience in the public schools I still don't know what the life of a teacher is really like because I am not a "real" teacher. It's funny how you deem yourself worthy enough to make inferences or judge my life experiences without any knowledge or experience in my career; however, I am not worthy to make inferences or judge the career of teaching when I ACTUALLY DO have some experience in the field.
As for FACTS, I am sorry the facts of your assertions were invalidated by a couple quick Google searches to confirm what I already surmised.
YOU asserted teachers didn't have tenure in WV, I posted some sites that showed that isn't true.
YOU asserted that all teachers don't belong to the union, I questioned the relevance of that statement with regards to tenure because the State provides the tenure.
I asserted that you cannot correctly and fairly compare annual salaries because the hours worked per annum are not equal and you retorted with anecdotal stories of how some teachers work extra jobs, work on their MAs, or do professional development. I responded, anecdotally, that I to have worked on my MS, as well as kept up with professional development and certifications WITHOUT the luxury of a 15 week break. YOUR counter to that was, again anecdotally, that teachers work outside of the classroom to grade papers and do not get paid for, but that I probably get overtime. I corrected you again by saying that no I am a salary position and I frequently work much longer than a 40 hour work week without the aid of a "planning period".
The only thing anybody (except Zaphod whom I have watched troll many topix) could take from this is that you believe when you make an unfactual argument, you are just because teachers have it so bad and if anyone disagrees with your invalid assertions with actual fact, you can only retort with insults and more anecdotal BS.
I will stick to my original and only assertion that comparing teacher annual salaries to similarly educated careers, taking into account the number of hours worked, teachers do not have it drastically worse than many other professions. I was tired of reading about how bad teachers are paid and responded with some simple facts to demonstrate my assertions.
You are > teachers !!! Im enjoying watching you educate the educators .
Fairlady

Huntington, WV

#169 May 8, 2013
On occasion, I had emails from teachers, counselors, and principals from CMHS. None were in regards to disciplinary issues fortunately.
What astounded my husband and I was the atrocious grammar and spelling from the educational staff. True story people. It was like the teachers, counselors, and principals at CMHS did not know how to use grammar and spell check, an educator shouldn't need to though.
I don't know about your wife, but I hope she at least uses correct spelling and grammar when corresponding with parents.
My apologies if I've misspelled anything here. Using a very small phone and I've got big thumbs

"What astounded my husband and I was ..." is not proper grammar. This sentance should say "What astounded my husband and me was...".
P.S. I'm a former CMHS counselor.
Fairlady

Huntington, WV

#170 May 8, 2013
I mean sentence. Lol!
Wow

Brooklyn, NY

#171 May 8, 2013
Fairlady wrote:
I mean sentence. Lol!
I see why we rank last in education,
Poppin

Huntington, WV

#172 May 8, 2013
Fairlady wrote:
On occasion, I had emails from teachers, counselors, and principals from CMHS. None were in regards to disciplinary issues fortunately.
What astounded my husband and I was the atrocious grammar and spelling from the educational staff. True story people. It was like the teachers, counselors, and principals at CMHS did not know how to use grammar and spell check, an educator shouldn't need to though.
I don't know about your wife, but I hope she at least uses correct spelling and grammar when corresponding with parents.
My apologies if I've misspelled anything here. Using a very small phone and I've got big thumbs
"What astounded my husband and I was ..." is not proper grammar. This sentance should say "What astounded my husband and me was...".
You cut and pasted this from post 141. To what end?

Anyway, I think it's interesting that some here are offended at what they see as "stereotyping" Cabell County teachers (depicting them as not terribly literate, etc.), and yet those same people can barely string a sentence together or make their points clearly. Just by that alone, aren't those railing against "unfair" critique of local teachers proving what a lousy education they themselves received in these local public schools?

I'm a parent, and I saw countless teacher-written notes and such that were frankly insensible. It's true. Yes, there are some good teachers, but those of you who saw education as an easy major (Children's Lit, anyone?) really don't have the right to use the hard work of GOOD teachers to hide your own shortcomings.

The IT guy is absolutely right. I think the BS level with Cabell Co. teachers is probably hovering at about 85%.
Mountain Moon

Prestonsburg, KY

#173 May 8, 2013
How much time are you chronic complainers volunteering to help out in the schools your children attend? Don't blame the administrators and teachers for your failure to do your part. It seems like you think you can pack off your little ones for others to educate and babysit while you sit in front of your keyboard gripping about the results. You get the schools you deserve.
Catalina

Hurricane, WV

#174 May 8, 2013
Fairlady wrote:
Oh my goodness. Check your spelling former counselor. I'm glad you're no longer at Midland. You're probably one that the other person was writing about.
Gosh

Brooklyn, NY

#175 May 8, 2013
Mountain Moon wrote:
How much time are you chronic complainers volunteering to help out in the schools your children attend? Don't blame the administrators and teachers for your failure to do your part. It seems like you think you can pack off your little ones for others to educate and babysit while you sit in front of your keyboard gripping about the results. You get the schools you deserve.
It's teachers job to educate the students. Ghee teachers, why expect you to perform your job! Teach a few hours a day, send work home and blame parents. Your BS is becoming obvious to the majority. Use the time allotted and stop asking for parents to supplement your lack of work.
LastDance

Madison, WV

#176 May 8, 2013
Mountain Moon wrote:
A) Calling those who point out failures being made by teachers, administrators and city, county, state and federal governments does not equate to "chronic complainers" - attempting to shift responsibility for tax-supported endeavors to those who pay the tax and ask for accountability is not valid.
B) Volunteering to help in schools does not give added value and not volunteering to help in schools does not decrease the value in addressing the problems.
C) Blame being placed on administrators and teachers is relavent to their ability to perform in the position for which they are being paid - positions that they indeed have sought. If they or you are unhappy with fact-finding or opinion, then as Harry Truman wisely said "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."
D) Attempts to sterotype those who speak the truth about deficiencies in education as packing the kids off to be babysat while sitting on the front porch and gripping about the results really doesn't deserve comment other than an attempt to avoid dialogue with meaningful insight.
E) Getting the schools we deserve is the underlying principle of what concerned citizens want.

I taught for over twenty years (California and New York). I would never teach in Cabell County [should I be so employed, I would be fired if not on the first, surely on the second day for insubordination; that being a bare mininum of cause]. Teaching should never be a "fall-back" occupation; teaching is not a "calling" to minister to the uneducated; teaching is not a substitute for being a parent; teaching is not seeking one's lost little brother or sister; teaching is not a goal to sharing one's grand opinion about yourself; teaching is not about finding an insight and certainly teaching is not a paid job. If a teacher disagrees with any of that - they need to resign and go into telemarketing. I never worked a 40-hour week and I worked every week of every year including periods of illness, grief and hardship [including many trips to the VA for Viet-Nam related injury]. Comparing one's life to another teacher is not the point, what I am saying is it is time for many in academia to climb down from the cross and stop playing crucifixtion and start addressing the real problems with the Board of Education - particularly in Cabell County, West Virginia. My name is in the office of every school board member and County commissioner with my written complaints and observations and while I do not endorse the "Cabell Co. Education is a joke!" headline to this forum item [it serves to draw attention at a minimum] I will second a motion that many within the Cabell County Board of Education are failing the responsibilities of their positions, be it administration [elected or appointed], staff and teachers. Voices of dissent are too easily muffled in this community - some ad hoc equal time is long past due. Equal time [that time without pay] as advocates for children, the community and the tax-payer is what is feared most by those whose vested interest is exactly the opposite - don't know about you, but the list can begin with the front office holder at the BOE.
Inspired

Brooklyn, NY

#177 May 8, 2013
LastDance wrote:
<quoted text>
A) Calling those who point out failures being made by teachers, administrators and city, county, state and federal governments does not equate to "chronic complainers" - attempting to shift responsibility for tax-supported endeavors to those who pay the tax and ask for accountability is not valid.
B) Volunteering to help in schools does not give added value and not volunteering to help in schools does not decrease the value in addressing the problems.
C) Blame being placed on administrators and teachers is relavent to their ability to perform in the position for which they are being paid - positions that they indeed have sought. If they or you are unhappy with fact-finding or opinion, then as Harry Truman wisely said "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."
D) Attempts to sterotype those who speak the truth about deficiencies in education as packing the kids off to be babysat while sitting on the front porch and gripping about the results really doesn't deserve comment other than an attempt to avoid dialogue with meaningful insight.
E) Getting the schools we deserve is the underlying principle of what concerned citizens want.
I taught for over twenty years (California and New York). I would never teach in Cabell County [should I be so employed, I would be fired if not on the first, surely on the second day for insubordination; that being a bare mininum of cause]. Teaching should never be a "fall-back" occupation; teaching is not a "calling" to minister to the uneducated; teaching is not a substitute for being a parent; teaching is not seeking one's lost little brother or sister; teaching is not a goal to sharing one's grand opinion about yourself; teaching is not about finding an insight and certainly teaching is not a paid job. If a teacher disagrees with any of that - they need to resign and go into telemarketing. I never worked a 40-hour week and I worked every week of every year including periods of illness, grief and hardship [including many trips to the VA for Viet-Nam related injury]. Comparing one's life to another teacher is not the point, what I am saying is it is time for many in academia to climb down from the cross and stop playing crucifixtion and start addressing the real problems with the Board of Education - particularly in Cabell County, West Virginia. My name is in the office of every school board member and County commissioner with my written complaints and observations and while I do not endorse the "Cabell Co. Education is a joke!" headline to this forum item [it serves to draw attention at a minimum] I will second a motion that many within the Cabell County Board of Education are failing the responsibilities of their positions, be it administration [elected or appointed], staff and teachers. Voices of dissent are too easily muffled in this community - some ad hoc equal time is long past due. Equal time [that time without pay] as advocates for children, the community and the tax-payer is what is feared most by those whose vested interest is exactly the opposite - don't know about you, but the list can begin with the front office holder at the BOE.
Thank you!
Fairlady

Huntington, WV

#178 May 9, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I see why we rank last in education,
I'm not afraid to admit mistakes and I'm not above laughing about them. Also, I'm quite forgiving of the mistakes of others especially when they try to correct the problem. We all make mistakes, such as bothering with something as silly as Topix.
repeat offender

Lavalette, WV

#179 May 9, 2013
Fairlady wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not afraid to admit mistakes and I'm not above laughing about them. Also, I'm quite forgiving of the mistakes of others especially when they try to correct the problem. We all make mistakes, such as bothering with something as silly as Topix.
Yet you came back to post again lol.
Fairlady

Huntington, WV

#180 May 9, 2013
Catalina wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my goodness. Check your spelling former counselor. I'm glad you're no longer at Midland. You're probably one that the other person was writing about.
I doubt I'm the person, but it is possible. I do make mistakes, as do many human beings. I have concerns about our schools as well. I will say that the fact that HHS has 5 National Merit Scholarship Finalists does say something positive about our schools, teachers and students. All this negativity doesn't help students or help solve problems, so I plan not to make the mistake of visiting Topix again. I will, however, continue to engage in discourse with those willing to be proactive.
How about

Alexandria, VA

#181 May 9, 2013
How about someone print this thread and mail it to the BOE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hedgesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
white guy for black girl 8 min v4c4ltr 1
Aaron at gomart 46 min dikstik 3
Why are so many blacks on welfare? 1 hr The Last Warrior ... 2
Why do people still support Obama! (Oct '13) 1 hr The Last Warrior ... 133
Name of Apts. on 10th street west across from G... (Nov '13) 1 hr nice 7
fairland recruiting hhs players 2 hr Doctor Steelhamme... 17
Blacks Ruined Detroit and we are next (Jan '13) 2 hr TJS 269
Hedgesville Dating
Find my Match

Hedgesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hedgesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hedgesville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:15 pm PST

ESPN 1:15PM
Redskins' Jackson on post: Directed at no one
NBC Sports 1:33 PM
Redskins' Kerrigan perseveres despite hand injury - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:40 PM
Former NFL Player Jason Brown Delivered His Own Child
Bleacher Report 3:59 PM
Are RGIII's Recent Struggles Correctable?
Bleacher Report 5:09 PM
Complete Game Preview for Ravens vs. Saints