Last chance, Lakewood school district tells voters

There are 40 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Sep 30, 2010, titled Last chance, Lakewood school district tells voters. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

What: A community forum to address the $4.4 million in cuts that school officials said would be necessary if a Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“This is fargin war!”

Since: Apr 10

Columbus, OH

#1 Sep 30, 2010
The only permanent fix is to decertify the teachers union.
mary

Dublin, OH

#2 Sep 30, 2010
Ask the superintendent if they have Pick-Up-On-The-Pick-Up. Ask what they are spending per year on each student. Ask what the salaries of parasites are. Ask how long it should take to teach a child to read, write and understand mathematical concepts. Get rid of Social Studies and other attitude-adjustment classes and teach true History. Parents can pay for their own sports, athletics, music and art.
Meester Escalante

Newark, OH

#3 Sep 30, 2010
Commence the chest beating and teacher bashing from the few who were bullied, not picked for teams, and left out of social circles...begin
Seenitallbefore

United States

#4 Sep 30, 2010
Mary in Dublin and my dear Fargin....if you don't live there, get a life and worry about your hoity toity world in Dublin and leave ours alone. Our government has not been doing enough to help the schools get what they need. Our school needs help. At some time in the past others have paid taxes to pay for schools. It was not easy on them, however if $300 per year pays for keeping all the cuts, then why in the world would you not vote for it. I can't afford to pay for a school levy, but I will if that what the cuts mean. Beleive me it will not get any better down the road if you don't. Give our kids a chance. Vote for the Levy!
ASIS

Sunbury, OH

#5 Sep 30, 2010
Once more a school system attempts fleeces parents. The same complaint, funds from the state being reduced.

Some of the blame is on the teacher union and parasitic ways. The rest is on the Administration for continued spending nabove what they had and coddling the teachers union. Same as here in Marysville.
Jack Shirt

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 30, 2010
They need an additional $1,714.29 per year per student to operate? That is one heck of a step increase for somebody's UNION!
It is all about the kids, not the UNIONS! RIGHT?
Why do they always cut from the kids & their parents first? Poke the parents in the eye & squeeze them so their kids think they are the bad guys? How could the voters take away those things their own children love? Bad, Bad voters. We will show you how strong our UNION brothers are at pressuring you into giving us what WE want. Step raises, yearly raises, health care, retirement, new buildings, new boilers, updated lights on four year old buildings that we didn't need to begin with, one on one teacher to student ratio's. When will they ever stop? Are all teachers democrats & are all democrats in a union? Are all UNIONS evil & lazy?
Are all government workers & elected liars union porkchop receivers?
There Is Nothing Gained

Richton Park, IL

#7 Sep 30, 2010
Folks, I don't like unions either, but the fact is: they are legal and hear to stay. For this reason, we should stop complaining about them and try to work with them. There is nothing to be gained from complaining about an entity THAT HAS A LEGAL RIGHT TO EXIST AND WILL NOT BE GOING ANYWHERE!

That being said, there is no escaping the fact that the voters will get the school system they pay for period. Until we have school funding reform that will survive court challenges, you get what you pay for through property taxes, period. Now, to this day we have two candidate for governor. Strickland has a plan that stinks (but it will survive court challenges) and Kasich has no plan at all.
flounder

Columbus, OH

#8 Sep 30, 2010
it is always the homeowners that get shafted with this unlawful school tax. must be dumbocrats in action tax tax tax
Seenitallbefore

United States

#9 Sep 30, 2010
Why is all the rhetoric coming from people outside of the Hebron area? Could it be they are living in a less than perfect world in the "burbs"?
the only teachers who are making the "big bucks" are ones who after years of work are finally getting something out of it. I am not defending Administrators here, I am defending a smart young man or woman who has a degree and most often times a Masters degree and has decided to enter the world of teaching. Why? it's probably not because they want somebody, who doesn't have a clue, to denigrate them and tell them how easy they have it, no, they teach because they love helping kids learn to be productive members of society. Along the way they get to deal with ignorant people who don't or can't bother to raise their own children. Ask any teacher anywhere who is the problem. They will all tell you "it's not the kids, it's the parents". Well it's time for the "parents" to put up or shut up! Just think what your world would be without schools!
There Is Nothing Gained

Richton Park, IL

#10 Sep 30, 2010
flounder wrote:
it is always the homeowners that get shafted with this unlawful school tax. must be dumbocrats in action tax tax tax
Remember, it is/was the courts that found the system of school funding to be unconstitutional.
mona

Dublin, OH

#11 Sep 30, 2010
Just because somebody has the misfortune to live someplace like Dublin or Worthington or Upper Arlington or any other area where school employees make out like bandits does NOT mean they agree with the rest of the idiots who live there. Just because most of the other idiots vote higher taxes on themselves and their neighbors does not mean that they are morons too.
kim

Dublin, OH

#12 Sep 30, 2010
Seenitallbefore wrote:
Why is all the rhetoric coming from people outside of the Hebron area? Could it be they are living in a less than perfect world in the "burbs"?
the only teachers who are making the "big bucks" are ones who after years of work are finally getting something out of it. I am not defending Administrators here, I am defending a smart young man or woman who has a degree and most often times a Masters degree and has decided to enter the world of teaching. Why? it's probably not because they want somebody, who doesn't have a clue, to denigrate them and tell them how easy they have it, no, they teach because they love helping kids learn to be productive members of society. Along the way they get to deal with ignorant people who don't or can't bother to raise their own children. Ask any teacher anywhere who is the problem. They will all tell you "it's not the kids, it's the parents". Well it's time for the "parents" to put up or shut up! Just think what your world would be without schools!
America would be a much better place today if Marxists and Robber Barons had not forced government compulsory schooling on the whole country. Big Business and Government are the reasons are children are locked up most of the year in indoctrination centers. Where employees pretend to educate them but instead prepare them to be dumbed-down consumers and cannon fodder who believe The State's lies and consume all the junk Big Business manufactures.
Lil Kim

Newark, OH

#13 Sep 30, 2010
kim wrote:
<quoted text>
America would be a much better place today if Marxists and Robber Barons had not forced government compulsory schooling on the whole country. Big Business and Government are the reasons are children are locked up most of the year in indoctrination centers. Where employees pretend to educate them but instead prepare them to be dumbed-down consumers and cannon fodder who believe The State's lies and consume all the junk Big Business manufactures.
So just move to another country (like Finland) where the education and life itself is second to none? Seems like a simple cure for what ails you...
pinto

Columbus, OH

#14 Sep 30, 2010
Jack Shirt wrote:
They need an additional $1,714.29 per year per student to operate? That is one heck of a step increase for somebody's UNION!
It is all about the kids, not the UNIONS! RIGHT?
Why do they always cut from the kids & their parents first? Poke the parents in the eye & squeeze them so their kids think they are the bad guys? How could the voters take away those things their own children love? Bad, Bad voters. We will show you how strong our UNION brothers are at pressuring you into giving us what WE want. Step raises, yearly raises, health care, retirement, new buildings, new boilers, updated lights on four year old buildings that we didn't need to begin with, one on one teacher to student ratio's. When will they ever stop? Are all teachers democrats & are all democrats in a union? Are all UNIONS evil & lazy?
Are all government workers & elected liars union porkchop receivers?
You are jealous because apparently, you do not have the benefits of union membership.
Mike

Cleveland, OH

#16 Sep 30, 2010
Vote no....stop the madness. At some point schools districts will wake up and learn they need to operate responsibly.
Hooked on Fonics

Columbus, OH

#17 Sep 30, 2010
Mike wrote:
Vote no....stop the madness. At some point schools districts will wake up and learn they need to operate responsibly.
So based on the numbers above, where are they operating irresponsibly?
Debbie

Zanesville, OH

#18 Sep 30, 2010
If you don't agree with school funding...change it at the state level. But please don't forget that voting "no" affects children. Like it or not, this is about the students of Lakewood and what they will be loosing if it fails. The district has been fiscally responsible, they have not created new positions in years. They have been cutting back and consolidating for years anticipating state cuts that were to be phased out. The state chose to speed that process up and created a big problem for property rich and lower income rural schools. Please research issues before you make comments that will affect the future of thousands of children and continue spreading misinformation. Lakewood is a great community and a great place to live. Vote YES
david miller

Columbus, OH

#19 Sep 30, 2010
Fargin Bastages wrote:
The only permanent fix is to decertify the teachers union.
The real permanent fix is to get people to realize that everything costs money, some things cost more than others. Are your schools worth the investment ? If you have nevver worked in a school, go shadow someone who does. If you know someone who works at a school, talk to them and hear what it is like. Shadow your children as they attend class for a few days, and see what they go through, what their peers go through, or what the staff goes through on a daily basis. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you decide whether it is worth a few dollars more.
Lakewood needs help

Columbus, OH

#20 Sep 30, 2010
Seenitallbefore wrote:
Mary in Dublin and my dear Fargin....if you don't live there, get a life and worry about your hoity toity world in Dublin and leave ours alone. Our government has not been doing enough to help the schools get what they need. Our school needs help. At some time in the past others have paid taxes to pay for schools. It was not easy on them, however if $300 per year pays for keeping all the cuts, then why in the world would you not vote for it. I can't afford to pay for a school levy, but I will if that what the cuts mean. Beleive me it will not get any better down the road if you don't. Give our kids a chance. Vote for the Levy!
Cost per pupil according to the Ohio Dept of Ed for 2008-2009:
Dublin $12,127
Lakewood $8995 (this will go down dramatically if not passed.)

Too bad Strickland broke his promise of a fix.
ua grad now rural teacher

Columbus, OH

#21 Sep 30, 2010
I agree with the "you get what you pay for" comment. As a Upper Arilington Alumni I had a great education, parents who always voted for schools. The UA district pays far more than most the other schools in the state, and I've never heard any complaints about the teachers union there. I suggest it's because the community values education. I currently teach in a rural school that pays far less, and I am on year 2 of pay freeze I voted for. The reality is we don't have the tax base of the UA's/Dublin's or the big cities and even after major cuts and good management we are still in bad shape after 20 years without an opperating levy and state cuts. The truth is we need equal funding, but until the state changes the locals need to step up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hebron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The TRUTH as to why we have no Pastor at Safe H... (Sep '10) May 16 Anonymous 85
zeke's bar in Millersport May 12 Dawg 2
News Ex-pastor gets 6 years in sex case | The Columb... (Feb '11) Apr '15 Confused 31
Buckeye Lake Apr '15 Cathy Sprouse 1
News Powell man guilty of income-tax fraud | The Col... (Jan '10) Apr '15 Predatory Lender 32
News Benjamin Marrison: Dam report creates flood of ... Mar '15 Biggie BC 3
North Bank ? What is going on? (Oct '14) Mar '15 Bubba Buckeye 2
More from around the web

Hebron People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]