Lawmakers consider raising smoking ag...

Lawmakers consider raising smoking age from 18 to 21

There are 100 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 5, 2007, titled Lawmakers consider raising smoking age from 18 to 21. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Some lawmakers want young people in Connecticut to wait a few more years before they can legally buy cigarettes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
steve

Old Saybrook, CT

#1 Mar 5, 2007
Bill number?
Keith

Windsor Locks, CT

#2 Mar 5, 2007
How will this change anything? I started when I was 13 and got the smokes from either of my parents who were both smokers. I didn't go into a store to buy a pack of my own until I was 18. More should be done on the side of education to prevent the under 18 from even considering picking up a cigarette.
non sequitor

United States

#3 Mar 5, 2007
So then when will they raise the age at which these same kids can get their legs blown off in Iraq? Old enough for war but not for beer and cigarettes?

Dang govt gets everything backwards.

Since: Dec 06

New Jersey

#4 Mar 6, 2007
It says right in their that 90% of the people start at or BEFORE 18. So, you think that is going to change now? The only thing that will change is the statistic. it will read 98& of smokers started at or before 21. So sad. Die for your contry fine.. have a drink or smoke.. nope, you are not mature enough. Bah Humbug
Phillysmoker

Warminster, PA

#5 Mar 6, 2007
Jord wrote:
It says right in their that 90% of the people start at or BEFORE 18. So, you think that is going to change now? The only thing that will change is the statistic. it will read 98& of smokers started at or before 21. So sad. Die for your contry fine.. have a drink or smoke.. nope, you are not mature enough. Bah Humbug
18 should be the magic number for everything. Cigarettes, alcohol, driver's license, etc. If you are old enough for the government to send you into war to die, then you should have the right to do whatever you want.

PS-16 is waaaaay too young to drive. It should be moved up to 18 everywhere. Car accidents kill more people than cigarettes. Yet our moronic government only cares about cigarettes. Get a clue.
candid

AOL

#6 Mar 6, 2007
Phillysmoker wrote:
<quoted text>
18 should be the magic number for everything. Cigarettes, alcohol, driver's license, etc. If you are old enough for the government to send you into war to die, then you should have the right to do whatever you want.
PS-16 is waaaaay too young to drive. It should be moved up to 18 everywhere. Car accidents kill more people than cigarettes. Yet our moronic government only cares about cigarettes. Get a clue.
I'm with you 110% on this one,smoking may over time kill us older folks ,but auto accidents kill way to many young people. Driving an auto at age 13-16 may have been OK back on the farm but not today.
CCa

Warren, NJ

#7 Mar 6, 2007
JUST get it over with an make ciggarettes illegal like pot. WE KNOW thats what you want to do.
candid

AOL

#8 Mar 6, 2007
CCa wrote:
JUST get it over with an make ciggarettes illegal like pot. WE KNOW thats what you want to do.
Heck NO, we want the TAX!!!!!!!!!!

New Jersey

#9 Mar 6, 2007
candid wrote:
<quoted text> Heck NO, we want the TAX!!!!!!!!!!
the truth comes out. place the burden of tax on the dirty evil smokers.
Charlene

AOL

#10 Mar 16, 2007
steve wrote:
Bill number?
The Bill # is 661
Jay

Newington, CT

#11 Mar 16, 2007
I personally think smoking is filthy. But if an 18 year old can vote, serve in the military, sign documents, get credit, etc., why shouldn't they be able to smoke if that is their choice?

New Jersey

#12 Mar 16, 2007
Jay wrote:
I personally think smoking is filthy. But if an 18 year old can vote, serve in the military, sign documents, get credit, etc., why shouldn't they be able to smoke if that is their choice?
and if you knew that a place allowed smoking, and another one didn't. would you choose not to go into the smoking one, or try to force them to be non smoking too against their will?
Jay

Newington, CT

#13 Mar 16, 2007
Jord wrote:
<quoted text>
and if you knew that a place allowed smoking, and another one didn't. would you choose not to go into the smoking one, or try to force them to be non smoking too against their will?
I wouldn't force anyone to be non-smoking, just don't blow the crap in my face. I must say though, I do enjoy walking into restaurants now and not having to smell that nasty smoke.

New Jersey

#14 Mar 16, 2007
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't force anyone to be non-smoking, just don't blow the crap in my face. I must say though, I do enjoy walking into restaurants now and not having to smell that nasty smoke.
I feel for you non smokers.. while I think there were plenty of non smoking resturants already, I do not htink there were enough bars.. I just hate that it is now forced on business owners not to be able to cater to the clientelle they want. I think if the law was repealed ina place like new jersey A large number of bars would remain non smoking. There would be plenty of places for everyone...
Jay

Newington, CT

#15 Mar 16, 2007
Jord wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel for you non smokers.. while I think there were plenty of non smoking resturants already, I do not htink there were enough bars.. I just hate that it is now forced on business owners not to be able to cater to the clientelle they want. I think if the law was repealed ina place like new jersey A large number of bars would remain non smoking. There would be plenty of places for everyone...
I do disagree with forcing bars to be non-smoking.

New Jersey

#16 Mar 17, 2007
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
I do disagree with forcing bars to be non-smoking.
then you, my friend, have a brain. I am glad some non smokers out there still care about freedoms. I am glad non smokers realize they can actually avoid smoking establishments. I am glad there are some (More than most thing) that do not care if people smoke, whether they want to be around them or not. Because you have a head on your shoulders, If we were at a resturant, and you asked me not to smoke because you were eating, and there was no non smoking area available, I would accomidate you.. Just because you seem like the type that would ask nicely...
Linda

Dayton, OH

#17 Mar 24, 2007
Important, this is a good idea

Coalition to End Donations to American Cancer Society
The Minnesotans Against Smoking Bans membership joins NYC CLASH in firmly supporting the boycott against the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association and the American Heart Association

www.nycclash.com/ACSBoycott.html 3/22/2007 Cached page
zac

Columbia, MO

#18 Apr 5, 2007
I do believe that people who smoke at a early age start to die at a early age but i do belive that they should raise the smokeing aga to 21 because it may save atleast a little bit of lives and decrease the number of people that smoke already.

New Jersey

#19 Apr 5, 2007
fight for your country, die for you country.. smart enough to vote, but not smart enough to make a decision about ones own body? I dont think so..
John

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Apr 5, 2007
Of the 149 Studies done between 1981 and 2006 on ets including spousal, work place, and children, only 24 have shown some risk to second hand smoke. 2 of these 149 studies (1 for spousal, and 1 for children) have shown some BENEFITS to second hand smoke. The remaining 122 studies have shown no risk or benefits beyond the level of chance.

The level of statistical signifigance in science is 20%. Any risk or benifit below this level is not beyond the realm of pure chance.

The percentage of studys showing some risk is 16.1%, this falls well within the percetage that would be expected by mere chance!

Why do we let the health care community get away with flipping a coin to tell us what is good or bad for us?

http://www.forces.org/evidence/study_list.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hebron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
meet rich men Apr '17 Layne 1
Colchester Music Thread (Nov '16) Nov '16 Musikologist 1
Discussion title (Jan '16) Jan '16 DougiveaRatsazz 1
News Want change? Start walking. (Jun '10) Jan '16 Phil 23
SWEETFROG teams up with Making Strides (Sep '15) Sep '15 Makingstrides 1
making strides against breast cancer teams up w... (Sep '15) Sep '15 MakingStrides 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Connecticu... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Buck Idleburg 15

Hebron Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hebron Mortgages