Oil Spill On Hoosac Mountain ???

Posted in the Heath Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jack Kelly

Jamestown, RI

#2 Feb 3, 2013
http://turbinesonfire.org/recent-news/oil-spi...

Oil spill on Bakke Mountain
Published January 12, 2013By admin
January 10, 2013
by Marshall Rosenthal

Dear Editor,
Some time ago, before the start up of the wind turbines of the Hoosac Wind Project, I tried to warn your readers of the potential terrible effects that the spinning blades would cause to the health of surrounding area residents and children attending the Abbott Memorial School in Florida.. This is coming to pass among those few that I have been speaking with. They have complained of sleep interruptions, palpitations, tinnitus, and headaches. These are the early symptoms of a long list of ailments, termed Wind Turbine Syndrome caused by the acoustic energy produced as a waste product by the turbines.
But something even more emergent, something that I hadnít anticipated, has occurred. A large pool of an oily substance has been found on the ground a couple of hundred feet from the base of wind turbine #10 on Bakke Mountain, Florida. It was discovered back on Christmas by a Clarksburg resident, whose name will be withheld for the moment. I believe he even sent you some photos that he took of it.
This same person informed me that he reported the spill to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), a state agency that is charged with dealing with such things, on Christmas Day. He further brought the matter to the attention of the Town Administrator of Florida, Ms. Christine Dobbert, requesting that she notify the responsible agents and agencies in that town to deal with the problem. He was met with anger and confusion, screamed at and verbally assaulted, and presented with self contradictory irrational excuses as to why he was out of line.
To this day, January 10, 2013, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE BY ANY STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY TO CLEAN UP THE OIL SPILL. Please understand that large wind turbines are known to contain a volume of ninety-five gallons of lubricating oil held aloft in the nacelle, to which the blades are attached, to bathe the gear box, much like your car must have its compliment of oil to lubricate its moving engine parts.
The great fear that was expressed to me was that the leaking wind turbine is situated directly above the homes in Clarksburg and these folks get their drinking water from wells that receive the runoff from the mountain. A cascade of water coming off the mountain has been described to me. Perhaps some readers may think me over cautious, but I advised this individual to stop drinking the water from his tap, switch to bottled water, and to keep a good record of his costs for purchased drinking water, as a precautionary measure. I would suggest the same practice be observed by all Clarksburg and Florida residents who get their water from this watershed.
Just today, I advised this same Clarksburg resident to call the NATIONAL RESPONSE CENTER; 800-424-8802. This is the emergency contact point for the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The gentleman did , indeed, make the call and was issued a File Number and told that an agent of the EPA would soon be in touch with him.
IT IS OUR HOPE THAT EVERY DROP OF THIS OIL SPILL WILL BE CLEANED UP AND REMOVED BEFORE IT GETS A CHANCE TO POISON THE WELLS OF THE AREA.
Marshall Rosenthal
Savoy, MA
Jason

Madison, CT

#3 Feb 27, 2013
THe DEP sent investigators to the site. What were their findings?
DEP News

United States

#4 Feb 27, 2013
So what did they find?
Big Y

North Adams, MA

#6 Feb 28, 2013
Hey I live by Big Y supermarket in Adams and let me tell you if you people think you have problems with the wind mill just try living Next door to Big Y. The trash smells that comes from their dumpsters and the diesel smells from these trucks are just terrible during the summer months. Many neighbors have called to complain to the board of health and have called the manager from that store and he did nothing about it hows that for a manger. People in my build can't even open their windows and some even moved out last summer because of the smells. Hope this summer is not a repeat of what went down last summer because I will refuse to pay rent to Sommer this time around and renters have a lot of rights. Big Y is not a eco friendly business or a good neighbor like they say they are. We all have lousy neighbors that we have to deal with so I feel your pain.
me too

North Adams, MA

#7 Feb 28, 2013
Big Y wrote:
Hey I live by Big Y supermarket in Adams and let me tell you if you people think you have problems with the wind mill just try living Next door to Big Y. The trash smells that comes from their dumpsters and the diesel smells from these trucks are just terrible during the summer months. Many neighbors have called to complain to the board of health and have called the manager from that store and he did nothing about it hows that for a manger. People in my build can't even open their windows and some even moved out last summer because of the smells. Hope this summer is not a repeat of what went down last summer because I will refuse to pay rent to Sommer this time around and renters have a lot of rights. Big Y is not a eco friendly business or a good neighbor like they say they are. We all have lousy neighbors that we have to deal with so I feel your pain.
My family also live by Big Y too and you're right the smell we smelled last summer was just horrific and I too called the manger to complain and when I got nowhere with him I called the board of health up. I even called Big Y themselves in Springfield but what do they care they aren't the ones who have to smell everyday and they couldn't even bother to respond to me how do you like that. This year if my family can not go outside and enjoy our yard or open my windows up I will sue and I don't even live as close as Myrtle Apartments are. I also complained two years ago to the Board Of Health over Big Y when their garbage smelled the whole neighborhood up for over two weeks thats was when they had a woman manager all she did was give me a stupid excuse, didn't buy it then and not buying it now. I'm sure you notice that Big Y does have signs posted that all trucks are to shut off when unloading guess the truck drivers can not read.

Since: Aug 12

United States

#8 Feb 28, 2013
Deisel engines are different than gasoline engines.
From Here

Adams, MA

#9 Feb 28, 2013
Jack Kelly wrote:
he reported the spill to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), a state agency that is charged with dealing with such things, on Christmas Day. He further brought the matter to the attention of the Town Administrator of Florida, Ms. Christine Dobbert, requesting that she notify the responsible agents and agencies in that town to deal with the problem. He was met with anger and confusion, screamed at and verbally assaulted, and presented with self contradictory irrational excuses as to why he was out of line.
To this day, January 10, 2013, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE BY ANY STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY TO CLEAN UP THE OIL SPILL.
Interesting that no where in this letter does it say that anyone contacted the company that owns and services the windmills - the people that should really care about their leaking windmills. However they went to the trouble to call any and all agencies to file complaints. Then "start drinking bottled water and keep your receipts" for possible legal action in the future.

Seems to me that the goal here isn't to protect the environment at all but rather to continue to fight the decision to place those windmills there.
Jabroni

Nantucket, MA

#10 Mar 1, 2013
Oil is lighter than water. Oil will be at the top of your well, and your pump is on the bottom. No worries. Windmills aren't going anywhere....
Jack

North Adams, MA

#11 Mar 1, 2013
Big Y wrote:
If it wasn't the smell of garbage or trucks running you people would find something else to complain about. The place provides much needed jobs and donates much to the community! Stop crying.
Jack

North Adams, MA

#12 Mar 1, 2013
me too wrote:
<quoted text>My family also live by Big Y too and you're right the smell we smelled last summer was just horrific and I too called the manger to complain and when I got nowhere with him I called the board of health up. I even called Big Y themselves in Springfield but what do they care they aren't the ones who have to smell everyday and they couldn't even bother to respond to me how do you like that. This year if my family can not go outside and enjoy our yard or open my windows up I will sue and I don't even live as close as Myrtle Apartments are. I also complained two years ago to the Board Of Health over Big Y when their garbage smelled the whole neighborhood up for over two weeks thats was when they had a woman manager all she did was give me a stupid excuse, didn't buy it then and not buying it now. I'm sure you notice that Big Y does have signs posted that all trucks are to shut off when unloading guess the truck drivers can not read.
You need to stop complaining also. See my reply above .
chbpod

East Greenwich, RI

#13 Mar 1, 2013
Jabroni wrote:
Oil is lighter than water. Oil will be at the top of your well, and your pump is on the bottom. No worries. Windmills aren't going anywhere....
and some turds are lighter than water--they'll be at the top and your pump is at the bottom----no worries--turds aren't going anywhere
Not Larry

North Adams, MA

#14 Mar 1, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to stop complaining also. See my reply above .
I'm assuming that you wouldn't notice the smell because you stink.
Big Y

North Adams, MA

#16 Mar 2, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
If it wasn't the smell of garbage or trucks running you people would find something else to complain about. The place provides much needed jobs and donates much to the community! Stop crying.
Hey you dumb azz Big Y does not pay well either. They are nasty smelly neighbors that only care about themselves and they could careless about you or their workers. I never read anything about Big Y donating anything to the town and if they do it still has nothing to do with how they treat the neighborhood stop being delusional about Big Y. Where do you live I will start to pile up my trash for weeks and see how you like the smell of rotten meat and spoil milk and what ever else they throw away coming into your apartment.
poor workers

North Adams, MA

#17 Mar 2, 2013
Have you ever been inside Big Y during the summer time you can smell their dumpster inside of the building when you're shopping how can the workers work in there.
Jack

North Adams, MA

#18 Mar 2, 2013
Not Larry wrote:
<quoted text> I'm assuming that you wouldn't notice the smell because you stink.
Spray some Fabreeze and move if you don't like it.
Jack

North Adams, MA

#19 Mar 2, 2013
Big Y wrote:
<quoted text>Hey you dumb azz Big Y does not pay well either. They are nasty smelly neighbors that only care about themselves and they could care about you or their workers. I never read anything about Big Y donating anything to the town and if they do it still has nothing to do with how they treat the neighborhood stop being delusional about Big Y. Where do you live I will start to pile up my trash for weeks and see how you like the smell of rotten meat and spoil milk and what ever else they throw away coming into your apartment.
Your overreacting. Your one of just a few who complain. Many of us who have lived here for many years have no complaints. Adams and Big y supermarkets have been good neighbours for many years. And both have done much for the community and provided jobs to students and adults.
Jack

North Adams, MA

#20 Mar 2, 2013
poor workers wrote:
Have you ever been inside Big Y during the summer time you can smell their dumpster inside of the building when you're shopping how can the workers work in there.
Another Joker! All you can smell is the fresh bakery while you shop inside.
Not Larry

North Adams, MA

#21 Mar 2, 2013
Hey Jack [and I am assuming that your last name is Off] why don't you get your nose out of Big Y's arse and you might notice the smell from the dumpster.
Jack

North Adams, MA

#22 Mar 2, 2013
The stank is from your old lady's dumpster! Stop blaming Big Y.
Jack

North Adams, MA

#23 Mar 2, 2013
Not Larry wrote:
<quoted text> I'm assuming that you wouldn't notice the smell because you stink.
Larry lets not get into a battle of wits. It would be unfair as you are unarmed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heath Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No trace of third Lewis Lent victim in Greenwat... (Jul '13) Mon Praxis33 14
News Former resident honored for service in Vietnam (Mar '08) Apr 22 Wildlife 2
News Plea deal likely in Martin slaying (Apr '12) Apr 22 cops are liars an... 13
News The energy in the Taconic High School gymnasium... Apr 20 die Stadt die ich... 13
News David Delratez, suspect in North Adams slaying ... (Jun '14) Apr 15 Haywood Jablowme 42
News Brien Center Employees Protest Contract Wage... Apr 11 Jon Dinerstein 16
News Things to do in the Berkshires, April 9 Apr 10 Praxis33 2
More from around the web

Heath People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]