North Adams, MA

#21 Jan 20, 2013
chbpod wrote:
I think it's a fool's errand
well....this IS Massachusetts.
My Gal Sal

North Adams, MA

#22 Jan 28, 2013
I hope this crazy ideal works out it might just bring some good luck to this area. Has anyone signed up to help out heard they are looking for
volunteers it sound pretty interesting I'm thinking about signing up myself, trains are always fun no matter what age you are.
At the Big E Train Show BSR had a man and his young son there explaining in what BSR wants to do it was very interesting hope it works for all those hard working volunteers. GOOD LUCK!!!
Thomas

Springfield, MA

#24 Jan 28, 2013
This is operated and maintained by volunteers. The track is mostly in place. The train and cars already exist from the south county scenic railway. The bike path for this same distance costs a lot more. Let them have their chance. I doubt most of you complaining don't do anything to support local groups anyway. If it wasn't this you'd find something else to complain about.

Since: Aug 12

Peabody, MA

#25 Jan 28, 2013
Only time will tell.
quiet 1

Troy, NY

#26 Jan 29, 2013
Ah yes, another nothing issue our wonderful state rep can work on.
Seriously

Hinsdale, MA

#27 Feb 10, 2013
This is BEYOND ridiculous! At best, people might take this ride once, and that will be it. Lets look at the route. Let's begin our trip in Adams. Depending on the exact starting point, we get to see the back of rundown buildings along columbia street, the back of dunkin donuts, and the back of 7/11. After this we move forward and see the sewage at the Adams wastewater treatment plant on one side and the scenic specialty minerals on the other. Moving ahead, we see the boarded up mill of curtis fine paper and all of the semi trucks and junk behind there now. Phew, we finally made it to the North Adams line. Now we see the back of the industrial park, and the back of the newly vacated greenberg building. After this we can travel through the swampland of the fields by the mini golf course, that is it we even make it through if the area isn't flooded out. Next we pass coury's junk yard with all of the oil leaking junk vehicles, followed by the soon to be empty and vacant former Walmart site. Still moving forward we now pass by the old tannery building and the age old industrial area down there. But wait, the best is still up ahead as we are now coming up on the always scenic Apkins Scrap yard. At this point, you can perk up because you have reached the end of the line. You might want to consider hitchhiking back to Adams to get in your car and get the hell out of here. Thanks for coming.
chbpod

East Greenwich, RI

#28 Feb 10, 2013
Seriously wrote:
This is BEYOND ridiculous! At best, people might take this ride once, and that will be it. Lets look at the route. Let's begin our trip in Adams. Depending on the exact starting point, we get to see the back of rundown buildings along columbia street, the back of dunkin donuts, and the back of 7/11. After this we move forward and see the sewage at the Adams wastewater treatment plant on one side and the scenic specialty minerals on the other. Moving ahead, we see the boarded up mill of curtis fine paper and all of the semi trucks and junk behind there now. Phew, we finally made it to the North Adams line. Now we see the back of the industrial park, and the back of the newly vacated greenberg building. After this we can travel through the swampland of the fields by the mini golf course, that is it we even make it through if the area isn't flooded out. Next we pass coury's junk yard with all of the oil leaking junk vehicles, followed by the soon to be empty and vacant former Walmart site. Still moving forward we now pass by the old tannery building and the age old industrial area down there. But wait, the best is still up ahead as we are now coming up on the always scenic Apkins Scrap yard. At this point, you can perk up because you have reached the end of the line. You might want to consider hitchhiking back to Adams to get in your car and get the hell out of here. Thanks for coming.
couldn't agree more
Praxis33

Lee, MA

#29 Feb 10, 2013
Mom want to do it on a train ride?
Pimples

North Adams, MA

#30 Feb 11, 2013
Praxis33 wrote:
Mom want(s) to do it on the train.
Bitinski

North Adams, MA

#31 Feb 11, 2013
Praxis33 wrote:
Can I get a copy of the video?
Bitinski

North Adams, MA

#32 Feb 11, 2013
Pimples wrote:
<quoted text>Mom want(s) to do it on the train.
Are you filming it? Can I buy a video from you then?
From Here

Adams, MA

#33 Feb 13, 2013
Haha, another subject for you people to be against. I'm always amazed by the negative attitudes you find here on Topix. Seriously, how can this be a bad thing for North Adams or Adams? If it's not your "thing", don't take a ride.
The goal is try to grow the offerings that are available to tourists. Tourism is what our economy in the Berkshires relies upon. I can't for the life of me understand why all you people claiming to be from North Adams are constantly pointing out how horrible it is here. Why are you still here? Are you so pathetic that you can't pack up and move to some place nicer? I happen to like it here and would like to see the parts I don't like, improve. Anytime I hear of someone willing to spend their personal investment in a business idea or a public works project that will benefit our area, I'm for it. Why wouldn't I be?
NAMOFO

Holyoke, MA

#34 Feb 13, 2013
From Here wrote:
Haha, another subject for you people to be against. I'm always amazed by the negative attitudes you find here on Topix. Seriously, how can this be a bad thing for North Adams or Adams? If it's not your "thing", don't take a ride.
The goal is try to grow the offerings that are available to tourists. Tourism is what our economy in the Berkshires relies upon. I can't for the life of me understand why all you people claiming to be from North Adams are constantly pointing out how horrible it is here. Why are you still here? Are you so pathetic that you can't pack up and move to some place nicer? I happen to like it here and would like to see the parts I don't like, improve. Anytime I hear of someone willing to spend their personal investment in a business idea or a public works project that will benefit our area, I'm for it. Why wouldn't I be?
Sadly, it is not just here on topix. This city is full of morons who can't see past their own front porch.
Clueless

Pittsfield, MA

#35 Feb 16, 2013
From Here wrote:
Idiotic thinking like yours is why this region is where it is You stated "The goal is try to grow the offerings that are available to tourists. Tourism is what our economy in the Berkshires relies upon". All you people use as a crutch is the tourism card. How about the people in this area get real and push to bring industry back into the region. If you look at the past of this region, you know, the times in which things were flourishing and when there were places to work and people actually EARNED a living instead of riding the welfare wagon and any other public assistance teet that they could find. When you have industry, you have jobs, when you have jobs, people work and earn money, when people work and earn money they spend money on cars, houses, and various goods. This is how a prosperous economy works. Pretending you have something here that could draw a few tourists is like drawing dead in a poker game......you lose! Throwing good money after bad, like throwing money away on a little train ride is another example of the flawed logic and thinking that will probably forever disable this community!
because

North Adams, MA

#36 Feb 16, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>Idiotic thinking like yours is why this region is where it is You stated "The goal is try to grow the offerings that are available to tourists. Tourism is what our economy in the Berkshires relies upon". All you people use as a crutch is the tourism card. How about the people in this area get real and push to bring industry back into the region. If you look at the past of this region, you know, the times in which things were flourishing and when there were places to work and people actually EARNED a living instead of riding the welfare wagon and any other public assistance teet that they could find. When you have industry, you have jobs, when you have jobs, people work and earn money, when people work and earn money they spend money on cars, houses, and various goods. This is how a prosperous economy works. Pretending you have something here that could draw a few tourists is like drawing dead in a poker game......you lose! Throwing good money after bad, like throwing money away on a little train ride is another example of the flawed logic and thinking that will probably forever disable this community!
Tourism is an industry and its the only hope for this area! There has been way too much decay here over multiple generations to offer a desirable labor force!
Updates

United States

#37 Feb 19, 2013
Any news on this?
Derailed

Cummington, MA

#38 Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, the train left the station but then derailed a short time later. It's all for the best anyway since fuel costs will become so high that a ticket would cost 55 dollars for a 6 mile ride. Take a taxi instead.
best wishes

North Adams, MA

#40 Feb 23, 2013
Why do people hate everything that wants to come around here. I think we should be happy after all I don't see anything else that wants to come to the Berkshires. We are so behind in times that its not even funny anymore. Greenbergs closed and all people want around here is another restaurant glad another home improvement place is going to open up instead we need jobs not more fat people. Hope the train ride does well and hope more people support it instead of complaining about it.
Great Idea for NA

Pittsfield, MA

#41 Feb 26, 2013
What is the timelime for this? When would the first ride be?
From Here

Adams, MA

#42 Feb 26, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiotic thinking like yours is why this region is where it is You stated "The goal is try to grow the offerings that are available to tourists. Tourism is what our economy in the Berkshires relies upon". All you people use as a crutch is the tourism card. How about the people in this area get real and push to bring industry back into the region. If you look at the past of this region, you know, the times in which things were flourishing and when there were places to work and people actually EARNED a living instead of riding the welfare wagon and any other public assistance teet that they could find. When you have industry, you have jobs, when you have jobs, people work and earn money, when people work and earn money they spend money on cars, houses, and various goods. This is how a prosperous economy works. Pretending you have something here that could draw a few tourists is like drawing dead in a poker game......you lose! Throwing good money after bad, like throwing money away on a little train ride is another example of the flawed logic and thinking that will probably forever disable this community!
This comment is hilarious!! My idiotic thinking that tourism is important here in the Berkshires is followed by the brilliant idea of "real industry" relocating to North Adams. Good luck waiting for Ford to decide to build their next car here in North Adams.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heath Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College-cost strategies for students, parents 21 hr Praxis33 2
The Eagle Will Never Print This Sun Sad But True 1
Foley trial begins (Jun '09) Feb 28 Jon Dinerstein 99
This forum is dying. Feb 27 Crickets 1
Wheel Estates Feb 26 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 8
Praxis needs to be removed Feb 22 LockUp 6
The energy in the Taconic High School gymnasium... Feb 18 Praxis33 6
Heath Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web