butchering the national anthem
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
singer

North Adams, MA

#61 Feb 26, 2011
blackbird wrote:
I just returned from seeing a performance by the irish folk singers, the wolfe tones, in dalton. at the end of their show they sing the national anthem of ireland, and then, lo and behold, they sang the national anthem of, yes that's right, the united states of america. they did it beautifully, respecfully, and correctly from begining to end. that was how they ended their performance. now why is it that 3 men from ireland, who just tour here once or twice a year for about a month, can learn it and sing it and not butcher it, but american's have such a tough time with it?
you know, we seem to have forgotten what it means to be an american. it has been so easy for us here. look around you at the places in the world where it isn't so easy to live in the country of your birth, and maybe, just maybe, you will begin to understand why some of us aren't so happy that the national anthem isn't known by all here or even by some of the people who perform it at large, important events.
it's sad.
....AMEN to that! i'm sure a lot of you remember starting each school day with the 'Pledge', and hearing your favorite tv station sign off at midnite with the anthem and the "aviators prayer" too, which are also sadly missing today....
shut up

Clockville, NY

#62 Feb 27, 2011
blackbird wrote:
shut up....your advise I was refering to IS .... "SHUT UP"....so what am I twisting? it's your words
Again you twist people words around BlackBird. Shut up is meant for you!
whiplash

Easthampton, MA

#63 Feb 27, 2011
" remember starting each school day with the 'Pledge', "

well, this is the 21st century. now it's a pledge to the corporations who own and run the place. believe the myth as long as you need to.

that's why national guard people are fighting our hair-brained wars --- along with the corp., formerly known as 'blackwater', and why so many prisons are privately owned.

do a search on how many private contractors are 'supporting' our troops in our two movie show, ooops, sorry, theaters of war.

war is big business. check out 'the carlyle group' and who are the major players in that 'investment' firm.

this is no longer "a government of the people, by the people and for the people",.... and if you suffer under the misconception that it is, i'll see you in the trenches.

and you can take THAT to the bank.
blackbird

Springfield, MA

#64 Feb 27, 2011
shut up wrote:
<quoted text>Again you twist people words around BlackBird. Shut up is meant for you!
no kidding? really? gee, I didn't get that...
so what you didn't get is that I told you to take your own advise so, shut up yourself!
whiplash

Easthampton, MA

#65 Feb 27, 2011
alright, i'll shut up myself.

(or, at least i'll give it a try)
blackbird

Springfield, MA

#66 Feb 27, 2011
whiplash wrote:
alright, i'll shut up myself.
(or, at least i'll give it a try)
naw, don't do that. there's no reason to do that :)
singer

North Adams, MA

#67 Oct 23, 2011
game 4 world series....zoey deschanel(the actress)...WOW! Finally a young person of hollywood that gave it the singin' it deserves!...beautiful..
singer

North Adams, MA

#68 Feb 3, 2012
afc championship ..butchered again by a singer(steven tyler) who the powers that be should have known better than to contract it to...with steven you know what youre getting in advance:i.e. a flambouyant guy with a voice to match,his voice is as much an instrument as it is words...so i for one expected and got what i heard..never should have happened..for cryin out loud there has got to be more talent out there (cant WAIT for the superbowl to hear who kills it or nails it)
sher

United States

#69 Feb 7, 2012
Gilligan wrote:
Once again the National Anthem was totally butchered, not just by the way it was sung at the Super Bowl, but by the fact that she didn't even know the words. I didn't see it live, but someone posted a link. What n embarrasment. It would be better to stand there holding a copy of the words so you could get it right.
I'm surprised no one commented about Kelly Clarkson's singing at this year's Super Bowl. She was great!
cil

Westfield, MA

#70 Feb 7, 2012
she was great she remembered all the word thats a hard song to sing and play...cil
singer

North Adams, MA

#71 Feb 7, 2012
kelly clarkson did a good job(at least up to the end,where once AGAIN the performer always tries to put HIS/HER stamp on it)...quit with the embelishments please..but all in all quite a good rendition..of a very easy song to sing if sung in the singers appropriate key..that is the determining factor..oftimes the artist chooses a key that actually FORCES them out of their range by the time the middle(rockets red glare)part comes,and after that its all downhill.."o'er the land of the freEeeEAEEEeee!!!?"and the home of the tone-deaf,i'm afraid.
Chingatchgook

Albany, NY

#72 Feb 7, 2012
Jose' canna yu see...?
see

United States

#73 Feb 7, 2012
Chingatchgook wrote:
Jose' canna yu see...?
..any bed bugs on me
singer

North Adams, MA

#74 Apr 4, 2013
late check-in....superbowl 2013....thought i'd heard it all but no...alicia keys thinks its a LULLABY!!....ridiculous.
singer

North Adams, MA

#75 Dec 4, 2013
chbpod wrote:
The best vocal rendition that I ever heard was by Toni Tenille who sang both the US and Canadian anthems at a Major League All=Star game ( i think in Oakland) but the best non-vocal rendition was from the only person to play professionally for the Red Sox- Bruins and Celtics--he was terrific---but the anthem has never been quite the same since Jimi Hendrix and Woodstock-----chbpod
that would be John Kiley,organist

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heath Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Adams Housing Authority gets bed bugs und... (Mar '10) Jan 18 Bass ackwards 92
News Homosexuality against natural law (Sep '09) Jan 18 Cops are degenerates 1,437
News North Adams couple pleads not guilty to stealin... Jan 18 The Public Offender 1
News 'Faces:' New film tells story of addiction in t... Jan 15 Cops are degenerates 1
Good memories of North Adams (Oct '09) Jan 14 gma52 299
News Northern Berkshire District Court (Jul '10) Jan 13 Ozwad 66
Where is the board of health inspector? Jan 6 Rockie 13

Heath Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Heath Mortgages