butchering the national anthem

Posted in the Heath Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Gilligan

West Springfield, MA

#1 Feb 7, 2011
Once again the National Anthem was totally butchered, not just by the way it was sung at the Super Bowl, but by the fact that she didn't even know the words. I didn't see it live, but someone posted a link. What n embarrasment. It would be better to stand there holding a copy of the words so you could get it right.
sher

United States

#2 Feb 7, 2011
Remember when Roseann screeched it at the World Series?
chbpod

North Kingstown, RI

#3 Feb 8, 2011
The best vocal rendition that I ever heard was by Toni Tenille who sang both the US and Canadian anthems at a Major League All=Star game ( i think in Oakland) but the best non-vocal rendition was from the only person to play professionally for the Red Sox- Bruins and Celtics--he was terrific---but the anthem has never been quite the same since Jimi Hendrix and Woodstock-----chbpod
quiet1

Troy, NY

#4 Feb 8, 2011
sher wrote:
Remember when Roseann screeched it at the World Series?
Amen
sher

United States

#5 Feb 8, 2011
chbpod wrote:
The best vocal rendition that I ever heard was by Toni Tenille who sang both the US and Canadian anthems at a Major League All=Star game ( i think in Oakland) but the best non-vocal rendition was from the only person to play professionally for the Red Sox- Bruins and Celtics--he was terrific---but the anthem has never been quite the same since Jimi Hendrix and Woodstock-----chbpod
John F. Kiley was the organist for the 3 ;oston teams. Jimi was a man ahead od his time!
chbpod

North Kingstown, RI

#6 Feb 8, 2011
sher wrote:
<quoted text>John F. Kiley was the organist for the 3 ;oston teams. Jimi was a man ahead od his time!
Bingo!!! and if you google in John Kiley organist-- you will find links to his rendition--still get chills--he;s got one chord in there that separates from the rest---as far as I am concerned Jimi screwed up the anthem--and led to all of these celebraties trying to be cool--chbpod
PROUD LATINO

South Hadley, MA

#7 Feb 8, 2011
christina is getting more attention cuz she is hispanic.....typical for a racist nation
sher

United States

#8 Feb 8, 2011
chbpod wrote:
<quoted text> Bingo!!! and if you google in John Kiley organist-- you will find links to his rendition--still get chills--he;s got one chord in there that separates from the rest---as far as I am concerned Jimi screwed up the anthem--and led to all of these celebraties trying to be cool--chbpod
That broad wasn't born til after he died!
blackbird

Monsey, NY

#9 Feb 8, 2011
PROUD LATINO wrote:
christina is getting more attention cuz she is hispanic.....typical for a racist nation
that's crap! roseanne barr got more crap for it and she sang it correctly, if a little off key! this woman didn't sing the words right. plain and simple. she said she was caught up in the moment but she is a veteran performer so the crowd should not have thrown her. if she was so caught up in the fact of performing the song she would have also been unaware of much of anything except the song and then would have sang it correctly if she knew it. why would you try to push a race issue where there is none?
the sad fact is that too many americans, latino or not, do not know the words to our national anthem. that's the problem. not the fact that she is of any particular ancestry. so stop being so racist yourself. you were the one who was concerned with her race. not the rest of us!
Gilligan

West Springfield, MA

#10 Feb 8, 2011
I didn't even know she was Latino, so P L is making an issue where there is none
Typical

Berne, NY

#11 Feb 9, 2011
She's typical of her generation. She wants all the benefits of living in America with none of the responsibilities. If she died horribly in a fire I wouldn't give a rat's a ss.
whatever

Northampton, MA

#12 Feb 9, 2011
Everyone should lighten up. She made a mistake. She's not perfect. Maybe she had stagefright. It happens to a lot of performers at one time or another.
chbpod

North Kingstown, RI

#13 Feb 9, 2011
The National Anthem is tough to sing--and the words are tricky--it's not the first botch of the song on national TV----chbpod
wondering

AOL

#14 Feb 9, 2011
Problem is that every artist tries to change it up and make it unique. They should just sing it as written.
whatever

Northampton, MA

#15 Feb 9, 2011
I agree.
blackbird

Monsey, NY

#16 Feb 9, 2011
agreed!
whiner

Clockville, NY

#17 Feb 10, 2011
how many of you jacks no the words correctly. you people call one who stand for rights a whiner and your going to rag on people who dont sing the anthem right. think about it the guy who wrote it had to be drunk. it makes no sense i was in all city music i no the song. word for word and trust me it makes no sense!!!!...whiner
chbpod

North Kingstown, RI

#18 Feb 10, 2011
whiner wrote:
how many of you jacks no the words correctly. you people call one who stand for rights a whiner and your going to rag on people who dont sing the anthem right. think about it the guy who wrote it had to be drunk. it makes no sense i was in all city music i no the song. word for word and trust me it makes no sense!!!!...whiner
I am so glad that you " no the song. word for word"----chbpod
Fool Who

Holyoke, MA

#19 Feb 10, 2011
whiner wrote:
how many of you jacks no the words correctly. you people call one who stand for rights a whiner and your going to rag on people who dont sing the anthem right. think about it the guy who wrote it had to be drunk and trust me it makes no sense!!!!
1) The song makes sense for the language of the time.

2) The "artists" who accept the gig have an obligation to learn the song and to sign it correctly.

3) It was reasonably and prudently suggested that they use a script to prevent them from screwing up in case they "get caught up in the moment".

4) Have you heard most of the music from this era; trust me it makes no sense!!!!
Fool Who

Holyoke, MA

#20 Feb 10, 2011
2) The "artists" who accept the gig have an obligation to learn the song and to sing it correctly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heath Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drug arrests in North Adams Fri Ozzie King Of Zy... 8
News In the courts (Jul '10) Jun 22 urabitch4hiding 44
News McCann teacher Robert Davis to retire after 23 ... Jun 16 space cadet 7
News 2 N. Adams residents arrested in road fight (Jun '09) Jun 9 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 61
Stop And Shop Songs If Anyone Can Help Me..... (Sep '14) May '16 Stoppyslave 4
Poll Are You Sick Of Anti Cigarette Commercials (Aug '11) May '16 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 35
Dirty Water! May '16 Mercuryhg 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Heath Mortgages