David 'Soupy' Campbell sentenced in f...

David 'Soupy' Campbell sentenced in financial aid scandal

There are 21 comments on the Grand Island Independent story from Feb 13, 2006, titled David 'Soupy' Campbell sentenced in financial aid scandal. In it, Grand Island Independent reports that:

WICHITA, Kan. - A former junior college basketball coach was sentenced Monday to three years probation for falsifying federal work-study timecards so athletes would get paid for work they never did.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Grand Island Independent.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chase Brown

Montgomery, TX

#1 Jul 6, 2006
Dave "Soupy" Campbell may have made a mistake however, he is still a great man and a wonderful basketball coach. One of the very few coaches that actually cares about his players as men and not just a player and what they can do for the program. Soupy made a life long influence on my life and was one of the major contributors to me becoming the man I am today, the basketball player I was and the dedicated hard worker that I will always be. While his actions in this case may not have been right, he is not to be judged by this one mis-hap. Soupy is a great man who is respected and real in all aspects of the word. Soupy, hold your head up and know that you did make a difference and I as do many others appreciate you! I sincerely love you and wish you and your family the best. You will always be my favirote Coach of all-time!

Chase Brown
No Name

College Station, TX

#2 Sep 26, 2006
You have got to be kidding, this is one of the rudest persons I have known. VERY unprofessional
John Irby

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Oct 16, 2007
I played b-ball at So.Idaho when Dave soupy
campbell was there. he gave me the opportunity
to go to school and get my G.E.D. I just want to
thanked him for that. I don't think he is a great
man but a good person in heart. he does care about
his players. Thank you.
no name

Kansas City, MO

#4 Jan 3, 2008
soupy was the worst thing that ever happened to my basketball career and growth as a human being... he is self-centered and a control freak.. anyone who requires assistant coaches to live with him has a screw loose..
George Scott

Bloomington, IL

#5 Apr 21, 2008
I played for Soupy @ The College of Southern Idaho [the original CSI] back in the early 80's. At the time, I thought he was an unreasonable, overly demanding hard ass. However, I soon learned while playing for him that if I listened to him, did what he said, always played hard & went to class everyday, then everything was fine. I never fully appreciated him until I left CSI because that is where I played my best basketball at. Looking back, he knew exactly what he was talking about. I'm now a successful insurance & real estate professional with 2 daughters of my own & I now "get" what he was trying to instill in our team back then: accountability, discipline, & dedication to be the best you can be. Thanks, Coach. You are the best coach I ever had. I would not be where I am today without you pushing me and not allowing me to settle.
Andre Gilkey

Louisville, KY

#6 Apr 21, 2008
I too played under Coach Campbell, and I stand by him 100%. Yeah, he did make a bad decision, but the values he instilled in me when I was a young man in Twin Falls Idaho( 1982) still follows me to this day. I have three sons, and you better believe I will use some of the "hard discipline" I so hated then, but truly appreciate now. Dave really pushed education, attendance and accountability, and I can honestly say he was and IS a good portion of who I am today: Married, educated and ZERO run-ins with the law. Coach, and I speak for other teammates---WE THANK YOU.
Micah

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jun 1, 2008
Daniel "Soupy" Campbell?
alice

Pahoa, HI

#8 Mar 10, 2009
He may have been a good coach but he is not an honest man.
keith ison

Franklin Park, IL

#9 Jul 25, 2009
I played for coach campbell at western nebraska CC he was tough and I was a "hard head". I now understand. I hope all is well.
waylon souppy campbell

Verona, WI

#10 Sep 9, 2009
thats wierd, i dont know who dave soupy campbell is but my name is waylon campbell and my nickname is souppy.
ED ABREU

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Mar 22, 2010
I AM ONE OF COACH DAVE CAMPBELL'S FIRST PLAYERS AT NMMI - HE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A GREAT MAN AND I WILL ALWAYS RESPECT HIM FOR HIS DEDICATION TO THE PROFESSION AND AS A GREAT COACH - MISTAKES ARE PART OF LIFE - LIVE AND LEARN - I OWE ALOT TO THIS MAN AND HIS PROFESSIONAL ACUMEN...THANKS COACH - ED ABREU 1976 BRONCOS - ART ABREU 1978-79
Sonn

Odessa, MO

#12 Jun 10, 2010
Campbell was popular at WNCC and in the community. That is how he was able to get by shaking people down for money, double dipping broadcasters for interview fees and travel expenses. No one wanted to know what was going on because he was winning games. The board knew and didn't do anything. He got caught, pled guilty, paid restitution and now he is a convicted felon. This time the locals didn't come to his rescue. He was, is and always will be a skammer. Alice said it correctly.
Jeff Rotherham

Englewood, CO

#13 Jun 16, 2010
He is very rude and has a gay son - Cordell
John irby

Washington, DC

#14 Nov 10, 2010
i play ball for dave soupy campbell at southern
idaho from 1982 thur 1983. i wanted to say from
my heart thank you coach!! for the start i had.
you took care of me and i apprecite the caring you
gave me. I know i was a self center egotical and
hard ass at times. BUT YOU REALLY CARE!! Thank you!
good luck!!
Sonn

Warrensburg, MO

#15 Dec 21, 2010
From the appearance of your spelling, it looks like Campbell didn't require you to go to class often. You probably knew him before he became a crook, or before he got caught being a crook and more likely the latter. Campbell REALLY CARES only about Campbell and as long as you were making him look good, he cared about you. Facts are facts people, he is a convicted thief and a felon....no getting around that.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#16 Jun 2, 2011
It is better that this man is out of coaching. He gave the game a very bad name.
earl

Mesa, AZ

#17 Dec 9, 2011
He is still coaching. He is the head coach of MCI in a 5th year program. It appeares that his felony record is not relevant to his current employer. From what I hear, he has not changed his demeanor or methods at all. It is interesting how in athletics in this country, coaches seem to be able to reinvent themselves with little punishment after actions that would tend to end any other career.
Sonn

Jefferson City, MO

#18 Apr 13, 2012
David Campbell is a loser, but he certainly doesn't want anyone at MCI to know about his past. I forgot where he went until I read earl's post, so I went to the MCI webpage. He is listed there as the Head PG Basketball Coach, so the good thing is that he is not trying to teach anything in a classroom. All of the other teachers list their background on their profile, everyone except good old Soupy the Felon or is it Soupy the Thief or maybe just plain Soupy the Liar. His profile is blank: http://www.mci-school.org/page.cfm... . He must not think people in Maine know about Google.
Otis

Brea, CA

#19 Jan 6, 2015
Former player of Mr. Dave Soupy Cambell; and I will say this for the record, he was a difficult man to play for and be around, he wanted the best out of his players and if you didn't give it he was honest and let you know. His sons personality and things that he done wrong don't make him the man he is. He's help a lot of kids across the country the last 30 years become men. There are not enough coaches like this around and that's why there are so many loser out their in society. And before we start talking about money and things, I work for Warren Buffet and I have a great job and future, family etc. Without coach Campbell flying my mom and me down and offering me a full scholarship I wouldn't be who I am now. Soupy is like all men they do wrong and right.... Please forgive him for helping kids from other countries with no money eat and a chance to graduate and play sports.... He's done more right then wrong....
Thank you for what you done for me and my family COACH...
Otis Frazier
JUCO
DIVISION ONE
CBA
Father
Husband..
Cleavland

United States

#20 Jan 11, 2015
[ OTS you work for the railroad (BNSF) Yes Buffet owns it but you try to make it sound like you're life is perfect. You work track maintenance not even an engineer. With all your kids and bills good luck with that.]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heartwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Apr '15 neutral 103
Cathy Beard murder? (May '09) Feb '15 Rose 54
my friend found dead,suicide.I suspect foul play (Jun '14) Jun '14 la from va 1
News Hastings woman gets probation, day in jail for ... (Aug '06) Sep '13 Mentally Retarded... 6
New overpass closes other roads? (Nov '12) Nov '12 dawnUSA 1
News Minden artist answers knock of opportunity (Jan '07) Jan '07 Sonja 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Heartwell Mortgages