We're loosing our businesses

Since: Feb 13

Birmingham, AL

#142 Feb 14, 2013
Tires, soup, dogshit in celluloid blocks... it makes no difference what the product. If the old money in Jeff Davis county doesn't control it, or thought of it first, it won't be allowed in Hazlehurst. Sad to say it, but until some of the old money dies off, nothing will change.
A thought

United States

#143 Feb 15, 2013
Let's take a quick look into Coffee county.
In just the last year over fifteen new businesses have opened. Hazlehurst has had two. So you tell me what the hell their doing that we cant do right here?
One of those businesses added 150 jobs to their local economy , Southwire And as I saw in an earlier post they chose Hazlehurst first to extend their facility. Now who in the HELL let them walk? As for the Tire recycling venture I do remember a local small business owner bringing that to the table as they needed a larger location the old Alco building and was shunned away and looked down on as a idiot , Guess what he took his idea to Coffee county and Appling county and the two went to battle to get them to put it in their county. Now in the end they both won , Coffee County got the people to build the recycling facility in their county and Appling county got them to install a receiving yard in theirs. All of this is being built now. And we got ZILCH! All because the one that could have said yes we'll let you lease the building talked down on him as a bum. What they didn't know he is the unknown millionaire in this county.
The moral of this is Never Judge a book by it's cover.
Do Good

Fitzgerald, GA

#144 Feb 15, 2013
A thought wrote:
Let's take a quick look into Coffee county.
In just the last year over fifteen new businesses have opened. Hazlehurst has had two. So you tell me what the hell their doing that we cant do right here?
One of those businesses added 150 jobs to their local economy , Southwire And as I saw in an earlier post they chose Hazlehurst first to extend their facility. Now who in the HELL let them walk? As for the Tire recycling venture I do remember a local small business owner bringing that to the table as they needed a larger location the old Alco building and was shunned away and looked down on as a idiot , Guess what he took his idea to Coffee county and Appling county and the two went to battle to get them to put it in their county. Now in the end they both won , Coffee County got the people to build the recycling facility in their county and Appling county got them to install a receiving yard in theirs. All of this is being built now. And we got ZILCH! All because the one that could have said yes we'll let you lease the building talked down on him as a bum. What they didn't know he is the unknown millionaire in this county.
The moral of this is Never Judge a book by it's cover.
No, the moral is that thic conversation could have occurred 20 years ago in Jeff Davis or 20 years in the future , its all the same. The trouble is that the voters are always fooled by what they put in office.

Savannah, GA

#145 Feb 15, 2013
Do Good wrote:
<quoted text>No, the moral is that thic conversation could have occurred 20 years ago in Jeff Davis or 20 years in the future , its all the same. The trouble is that the voters are always fooled by what they put in office.
No, not fooled... complacent!!! We have had the same people running local politics for decades, and the voters are used to the status quo. Why try to vote in someone willing to make changes when the old money and "good old boy" network won't let them change a thing. For too many years, the same people have controlled commerce in Jeff Davis county. Unfortunately, until some of the old money folks die off, there will be NO CHANGE in Hazlehurst. I just hope the town can survive until that happens.
Do Good

Fitzgerald, GA

#146 Feb 15, 2013
v93george wrote:
<quoted text>No, not fooled... complacent!!! We have had the same people running local politics for decades, and the voters are used to the status quo. Why try to vote in someone willing to make changes when the old money and "good old boy" network won't let them change a thing. For too many years, the same people have controlled commerce in Jeff Davis county. Unfortunately, until some of the old money folks die off, there will be NO CHANGE in Hazlehurst. I just hope the town can survive until that happens.
Good place to start will be courthouse - Monday, 6 pm.- be there.
Ex Tobacco Buyer

Dawson Springs, KY

#147 Feb 15, 2013
v93george wrote:
<quoted text>No, not fooled... complacent!!! We have had the same people running local politics for decades, and the voters are used to the status quo. Why try to vote in someone willing to make changes when the old money and "good old boy" network won't let them change a thing. For too many years, the same people have controlled commerce in Jeff Davis county. Unfortunately, until some of the old money folks die off, there will be NO CHANGE in Hazlehurst. I just hope the town can survive until that happens.
Not necessarily true. Here in my Kentucky home town our last "Boss Hogg" whose family had ruled the roost for 3 generations died in the late 1980s. All the main street "old money" families also died out or their descendants got good educations and left. Most of our new business, infrastructure improvement, etc. was built or obtained between the end of World War II and 1980. Sure, Boss Hogg lined his pocket, but he got a lot of stuff for the county too.

After Boss Hogg and the "good old boy" network died off, political power fell into the hands of a clique of Baptist preachers - some of the most reactionary, backward looking men imaginable. Since then we have gone backward at full speed.

From what I knew about Hazlehurst's social-political-economic structure when I was there 30 years ago and what have recently learned during my brief visits there I think that the same thing is happening in Jeff Davis County.
mimi

Savannah, GA

#148 Feb 15, 2013
Most young people don't have money, so it is funny to read about old money. If it wasn't for old money from our senior citizen where would we be today
Yoshi

Ocala, FL

#149 Feb 16, 2013
dark man wrote:
<quoted text> Its smart asses like you that are killing this country.I bet you are on welfare aren't ya? Bet you set on your ass all day .
Im sure you mom is on WELFARE. Btw...it's SIT not SET.
Ex Tobacco Buyer

Benton, KY

#150 Feb 16, 2013
Instead of pointing fingers at who you think is to blame for the situation, why don’t you draw up a list of 10 things that you think would be a plus to someone looking to locate a new business in Jeff Davis County.

Then draw up a list of 10 things that you think would be a turn-off or a negative to a new employer.

Take into consideration such things as transportation, the school system, fire protection, hospitals, etc. Also take into consideration the social structure and belief system of the people.

After you have made both lists, think about what kinds of businesses or industries would be a fit for the county.
facts are facts

Cordele, GA

#151 Feb 17, 2013
v93george wrote:
i keep hearing "old money" "good ole boys" "powers that be" thrown about on topix all the time. so just who are these people?

as for same people running local politics for decades, check the facts. the longest serving county commissioner are half way thru his second term. only one city councilman has served more than one term. mayor is still in first term.

hmmmmm???? seems like the facts don't support decades of old moeny power brokers keeping the status quo. do we have leadership problems? absolutely. blaming it on some unknown good ole boy network is lazy & lame. apathy & uninformed voters are the problem.

Savannah, GA

#152 Feb 17, 2013
facts are facts wrote:
<quoted text>
i keep hearing "old money" "good ole boys" "powers that be" thrown about on topix all the time. so just who are these people?
as for same people running local politics for decades, check the facts. the longest serving county commissioner are half way thru his second term. only one city councilman has served more than one term. mayor is still in first term.
hmmmmm???? seems like the facts don't support decades of old moeny power brokers keeping the status quo. do we have leadership problems? absolutely. blaming it on some unknown good ole boy network is lazy & lame. apathy & uninformed voters are the problem.
You don't know about the "old money"? All you have to do is pull up a list of county commissioners, mayors, and city councilmen for the past 80 years in Hazlehurst and Jeff Davis county to find out who they are. The same families have run this place, control most of the businesses, and don't want anyone stepping on their toes or cutting them out of the biggest portion of the monetary pie. I challenge YOU to list ten good reasons why anyone would want to open a business here, when local ordinances, local church groups, and the powers that be keep putting up roadblocks. As for the "good old boy" group here, and how they want to control everything, check out the thread about the county fair on this site. You'll quickly see what we're talking about. No liquor by the drink or bottle was instrumental in closing the Italian restaurant that used to be open on Latimer Street. It also contributed to the closing of the Steakhouse on the Baxley highway. Neither wanted to sell hard alcohol, just beer and wine with your dinner. But the local churches raised the red flag, and prevented it. The result... two businesses closed, one of which had employed over thirty people. I'm sure there are other examples, but I'll let someone else point them out. Bottom line is that if we continue to live in the past, we will never move this community into the future. Change can be a good thing. Embrace it.
Do Good

Fitzgerald, GA

#153 Feb 17, 2013
v93george wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know about the "old money"? All you have to do is pull up a list of county commissioners, mayors, and city councilmen for the past 80 years in Hazlehurst and Jeff Davis county to find out who they are. The same families have run this place, control most of the businesses, and don't want anyone stepping on their toes or cutting them out of the biggest portion of the monetary pie. I challenge YOU to list ten good reasons why anyone would want to open a business here, when local ordinances, local church groups, and the powers that be keep putting up roadblocks. As for the "good old boy" group here, and how they want to control everything, check out the thread about the county fair on this site. You'll quickly see what we're talking about. No liquor by the drink or bottle was instrumental in closing the Italian restaurant that used to be open on Latimer Street. It also contributed to the closing of the Steakhouse on the Baxley highway. Neither wanted to sell hard alcohol, just beer and wine with your dinner. But the local churches raised the red flag, and prevented it. The result... two businesses closed, one of which had employed over thirty people. I'm sure there are other examples, but I'll let someone else point them out. Bottom line is that if we continue to live in the past, we will never move this community into the future. Change can be a good thing. Embrace it.
Best example yet - Co. Commissioners let the best administrator we've had in fifty years go because he didn't understand good old boy........
R Bayne Stone

Hazlehurst, GA

#154 Feb 17, 2013
facts are facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!!!

R. Bayne Stone

Savannah, GA

#155 Feb 17, 2013
R Bayne Stone wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!!!
R. Bayne Stone
Sour grapes, ex-mayor Mr. Stone???
facts are facts

Cordele, GA

#156 Feb 17, 2013
keep throwing out the same old lame lines and i will keep destroying them with facts. one current commissioner spouse held office in the past. other than that, tell me another commissioner or councilman who had spouse, parent or grandparent to hold office.

what is your excuse for shanks or the steak house that used to be on lumber city hwy failing? both of those served beer wine & liquor drinks.

you want 10 reason a business should locate here? 1. reasonable property value 2. low taxes 3. low cost of living 4. four lane hwy connecting i95 and i75 5. rail access 6. expanded runway at airport 7. great school system. 8. great rec dept facilities 9. access to customized training programs thru ATC 10. moderate weather and climate

Savannah, GA

#157 Feb 18, 2013
Lets look at your ten facts. 1. Reasonable property value. Tell that to the owners who charge too hgh a rent for their buildings, many of which are sub-standard. 2. Low taxes. TRUE 3. Low cost of living. The cost of living usually reflects on the stability of the local economy and average wages paid. Both are low, so it might be an incentive to hire so as to pay low wages, but people have to be able to make a decent living to have spendable cash in those businesses. 4. Four lane highway connecting highways I-95 and I-75. And that would benefit a small family owned business how? If they were an industrial-oriented business that might be true, but the average small business in Hazlehurst doesn't get any business from either of those two highways. 5. Rail access. Again, if the business was an industrial giant, that would be a plus, but how does it relate to a small business? 6. Expanded runway at the airport. How does THAT help? 7. Great school system. TRUE 7. Great rec department facilities. Great if your business is sports related, but not much help if you aren't. 8. Access to customized training programs through ATC? TRUE. 10. Moderate weather and climate. I'm not sure I would call summertime average highs in the 90's and humidity in the 75 to 80% range moderate, but I guess it beats Alaska. So, your facts add up to 3 out of 10. I would say that you found a third of the reasons to start up a business here, but most of your so-called facts won't help small businesses make money here. KEEP LOOKING!!!!!
Fact

Cordele, GA

#158 Feb 18, 2013
The steak house on the Baxley hwy didn't close because of not being able to serve alcohol. If was was due to a divorce settlement and then poor management. You need to know what your talking about before you make false statements. All this trash talk and nobody has a clue. Guess people will keep crap started and cause us to waste more tax dollars on investigations that keep coming up empty handed. They complain about the buddy system, but I bet their ass wants to use it if they get a ticket or such. I guess Forrest Gump was right, stupid is what stupid does. Peace out cracker.
Do Good

Fitzgerald, GA

#159 Feb 18, 2013
The question is - why is Jeff Davis County 25 years behind?
Fact

Cordele, GA

#160 Feb 18, 2013
Maybe if the County could focus on trying to bring industry and businesses in besides wasting time looking into false allegations. Just maybe, maybe we could grow. I ask this, instead of trying to dig up what people thinks is wrong doings, why don't these people turn te table and try to help for a change. With a county in as bad as our shape is (or so they say). It sould bring us as a community together, to band together, to support each other rather than try to tear our community appart. Put our differences aside and lets make tis community prosper again. Peace out cracker.
facts are facts

Fitzgerald, GA

#161 Feb 18, 2013
so, v93george, you had to change the scenario to try and dispute my facts. you never specified small business in asking for 10 reasons. try again.

before you do, let me blow your response about property values apart. a company is getting ready to build a new wood pellet mill here & was able to buy a large tract of land with rail access at a very reasonable cost. our local car dealer & wise businessman just bought a tract of land to expand is lot. i doubt either of these would have overpaid fair value for the land. both properties were owned by long time jeff davis families, so i guess you could call them "old money".

as for moderate climate, it was meant as regard to business. a business here would not lose many days production to blizzards or hurricanes or earthquakes or whatever. care to concede now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazlehurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mystery 6 hr Wondering 1
City of Hazlehurst! Who will be gone? 7 hr Past Election 12
smoking weed (Oct '13) 7 hr Past Election 17
Who to support in the Appling Co. Election??? 20 hr Blondie 15
Soda Thu Jimmy 2
denton Thu james 2
Randy Collins Wed Tosititos 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hazlehurst Mortgages