We're loosing our businesses

Posted in the Hazlehurst Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Blown Away

United States

#1 Sep 13, 2012
Facts we lost two more businesses to Douglas this week. What are they doing that we cant do? Why are all the local businesses leaving us? Soon we will be a Ghost town.

I patronize any local owned businesses as much as I can. The businesses that made our town are vanishing quickly because of those big bully companys that want to dominate the people and force us to have to buy or sell to them at their prices . This is wrong people , Take a stand and bring back those Mom & Pop businesses that made us who we are. Do you really thing those Giants are going to help someone in need NO!
user

Fitzgerald, GA

#2 Sep 13, 2012
I don't know about the other "Giants" of commerce, but the Wal-Mart company does a great deal for the communities in which they have stores.
user

Fitzgerald, GA

#3 Sep 13, 2012
Also, What businesses are you referring to that have left this week?
Haywood Jablomie

Warrior, AL

#4 Sep 13, 2012
Here are a couple of solutions that immediately come to mind.

1: The owners of the empty buildings in town LOWER THEIR DAMN RENT PRICES! They are asking big city prices for sub-standard buildings. Lower the price as an introductory incentive. In the lease make it plain that the rent would go up incrementally after 6 months.

2: Allow liquor sales in Jeff Davis County. This antiquated notion of half-assed, church ordered Prohibition has ran it's course. It is the 21st Century, people. Why allow our tax dollars to go to Appling(16 miles away) or Telfair(only 7 miles)? you don't think the people who want it will buy it here instead of drive out of the county to get it? What's the harm? Immediately bars and clubs will open, and also liquor stores.. more jobs, more revenue and more reason for the party people to stay HERE and spend their money HERE. I see a win-win situation. and if the churches only see evil and sin, so be it. More money for PROBATION if the drinkers screw up. More for our police officers and deputies to do to justify their pensions.
Thats Right

Sycamore, GA

#5 Sep 14, 2012
We're going to take away all your small businesses because yall wont go to them so they can stay alive but we in Douglas love and patronize all small businesses , We wont them here bad because they are the ones that built America. Thank you Hazlehurst send them all our way. we know how to appreciate them.
Grouchy

United States

#7 Sep 17, 2012
Blown Away wrote:
Facts we lost two more businesses to Douglas this week. What are they doing that we cant do? Why are all the local businesses leaving us? Soon we will be a Ghost town.
I patronize any local owned businesses as much as I can. The businesses that made our town are vanishing quickly because of those big bully companys that want to dominate the people and force us to have to buy or sell to them at their prices . This is wrong people , Take a stand and bring back those Mom & Pop businesses that made us who we are. Do you really thing those Giants are going to help someone in need NO!
Why in the hell would anyone support a mom n pops business when we have these big companys beating down the doors wanting to open here lol. 95% of the local businesses are owned by some one that lives here, I say pee on the little guy and support these big ones or support any company that comes here from another state never support a neighbor that has a business because they may succeed and have a little something extra we dont have, never give your money to a localy owned business always give it to someone from out of town first. This way our local economy still stays in the dark.
Ex Tobacco Buyer

Paducah, KY

#8 Jan 15, 2013
Hazlehurst is no different from any other small town, be it in Georgia, Kansas, or Kentucky. Big corporate stores like Wal-Mart won't locate in a town unless it is a certain size, but when it goes into a nearby town it puts all the little mom-and-pop local stores out of business.

And their practice of having stuff made in sweatshops overseas in places like Bangladesh (look up the fire that happend there a couple of months ago to see the working conditions) and then selling the goods in the USA kills American manufacturing like clothing, shoes, etc.
hello

Savannah, GA

#9 Jan 15, 2013
yeah and every body run on out to woodys so he can build more jobs in appling co the new employees at the new 5 million dollar ford dealership thank all from jeff davis and surrounding counties for your money
hello

Savannah, GA

#10 Jan 15, 2013
oh yeah i almost forgot we could build another 4 million dollar library that surely would help the economy then we could employ 2 libriarians
dark man

Macon, GA

#11 Jan 15, 2013
Grouchy wrote:
<quoted text>Why in the hell would anyone support a mom n pops business when we have these big companys beating down the doors wanting to open here lol. 95% of the local businesses are owned by some one that lives here, I say pee on the little guy and support these big ones or support any company that comes here from another state never support a neighbor that has a business because they may succeed and have a little something extra we dont have, never give your money to a localy owned business always give it to someone from out of town first. This way our local economy still stays in the dark.
Its smart asses like you that are killing this country.I bet you are on welfare aren't ya? Bet you set on your ass all day .
And

Macon, GA

#12 Jan 15, 2013
Haywood Jablomie wrote:
More money for PROBATION if the drinkers screw up. More for our police officers and deputies to do to justify their pensions.
More money for the funeral homes and florists if the drunks screw up, hoss. Not a fair trade-off for me.
HHH

Austell, GA

#13 Jan 15, 2013
hello wrote:
oh yeah i almost forgot we could build another 4 million dollar library that surely would help the economy then we could employ 2 libriarians
The money from the library was donated to the county from the estate of Mr. Joe Fraizer. This was his wishes. Don't complain about the county for this. The money was given to our county for that.
Do right

Fitzgerald, GA

#14 Jan 16, 2013
hello wrote:
You have all your facts wrong. Did not cost tax dollar to build.....the only hope for J.D. is to have something that attracts good people.
Looking out

Hazlehurst, GA

#15 Jan 16, 2013
hello wrote:
Cann't you just imagine what the county would have squandered that money on if they had been in control of it?
boney

Savannah, GA

#16 Jan 16, 2013
The library should have built near the schools.
HHH

Pembroke, GA

#17 Jan 16, 2013
boney wrote:
Why do people always look for something to complain about?
boney

Jesup, GA

#18 Jan 17, 2013
What else is there to do in this shot out town?
luv2read

Fitzgerald, GA

#19 Jan 17, 2013
boney wrote:
Why? Each of the schools has its own library. Adults don't have access to material in the school's libraries. Don't you think adults read also? A public library is for everyone, adults & children.
boney

Jesup, GA

#20 Jan 17, 2013
Public liraries probably have more history archives and other materials. You could work as a school crossing voluntier and be close to the library. When you get finished for the day you could go read and possibly get a better education.
hello

Savannah, GA

#21 Jan 18, 2013
facts remain 4 million dollar library in a 50 dollar own lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazlehurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 7 min silverfox 56,885
Who is the young jailer in Jeff Davis? 34 min Mackenzie 6
Used Car dealership 9 hr a little curius 1
muslim training camp in Odum ga (Mar '09) Tue hdh 129
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Tue tammy101 2,072
Seth Rogers? Tue Downsouth 1
preacher Sep 29 father 3
Hazlehurst Dating
Find my Match

Hazlehurst Jobs

Hazlehurst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hazlehurst News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hazlehurst

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]