jeff davis county & city of hazlehurst

jeff davis county & city of hazlehurst

Posted in the Hazlehurst Forum

fed up

United States

#1 Oct 16, 2008
I have lived in hazlehurst most of my life, something always brings me back. i love this little town - but i am fed up with the way things are run here. WE HAVE NO JOBS!!!! If our city and county officials really cared about the citizens of this county, they would be doing anything and everything to get employers to come into this city - if it is giving tax breaks well do it - it will pay off in the long run. Just in my family alone, one member has to live on the road to make a living comes home only on weekends, not good for a family, another is unemployed due to lack of work and weak economy, another is only getting no more than 14 hours a week. How do you support you family on things like this? Something has to change in this county or we will not have anything here to support people.
We need a whole new city and county gov't. People who are concerned with the tax payers of this county, at this rate - there will be no tax payers here to support the city. duh WAKE UP.
When there is city and county elections get out and vote. i don't care who you vote for but things have got to change, locally, statewide, country wide.
I don't have any answers but i do know that it has to change and quickly.

Since: Oct 08

Aiken, SC

#2 Oct 16, 2008
as i stated in another thread...ok the down low of it...this town was wanted for as long as i can remember to be a retirement town...as far as the people bringing jobs...well we have a voice but to be heard we must put a mouth in place...the officials of Jeff Davis must be replaced...maybe with a younger class of candidates...you cant make change without change...in other words we must remove all of those who say they are doing things with people who will...hard to do...yes...why you ask...because the youth of our town leave when the chance arrives...they see Jeff Davis as a broke town...cant say as i blame them...but hey thats just my two cents... i am 100% with you on this...
Wishing

Lawrenceburg, TN

#3 Oct 17, 2008
fed up wrote:
I have lived in hazlehurst most of my life, something always brings me back. i love this little town - but i am fed up with the way things are run here. WE HAVE NO JOBS!!!! If our city and county officials really cared about the citizens of this county, they would be doing anything and everything to get employers to come into this city - if it is giving tax breaks well do it - it will pay off in the long run. Just in my family alone, one member has to live on the road to make a living comes home only on weekends, not good for a family, another is unemployed due to lack of work and weak economy, another is only getting no more than 14 hours a week. How do you support you family on things like this? Something has to change in this county or we will not have anything here to support people.
We need a whole new city and county gov't. People who are concerned with the tax payers of this county, at this rate - there will be no tax payers here to support the city. duh WAKE UP.
When there is city and county elections get out and vote. i don't care who you vote for but things have got to change, locally, statewide, country wide.
I don't have any answers but i do know that it has to change and quickly.
Very good points. But, change does not always make things better as it can in fact be change that makes things far worst. Keep that in mind when your vote.
Tech Grad

Gay, GA

#4 Oct 17, 2008
impstone wrote:
as i stated in another thread...ok the down low of it...this town was wanted for as long as i can remember to be a retirement town...as far as the people bringing jobs...well we have a voice but to be heard we must put a mouth in place...the officials of Jeff Davis must be replaced...maybe with a younger class of candidates...you cant make change without change...in other words we must remove all of those who say they are doing things with people who will...hard to do...yes...why you ask...because the youth of our town leave when the chance arrives...they see Jeff Davis as a broke town...cant say as i blame them...but hey thats just my two cents... i am 100% with you on this...
I recently asked some of the old timers to give ideas of how to get business to Hazlehurst. I was curse at, told we don't need nobody coming to Hazlehurst and telling us what to do, and that Hazlehurst was fine like it is. You compund that attitude with the corruption, you get what you have in Hazlehurst today. Until we change the mindset and get rid of the corruption, we aren't getting anything. It doesn't matter if Jesus was Mayor.
Whatever

Savannah, GA

#5 Oct 17, 2008
WHAT CAN I SAY YOU ARE CORRECT IN SAYING THAT. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T WANT ANY THING DIFFERENT.
ALSO I FEEL LIKE THE ONES WHO ARE SEEMINGLY SUPPOSE TO BE GETTING NEW INDUSTRY IN JD AND HAZ ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE MONEY AND THEY DON'T WANT NEW INDUSTRY TO TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT IS ALREADY HERE. IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT CURRENT INDUSTRY DOES NOT WANT NEW INDUSTRY BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE TO COMPETE WITH WAGES. THAT IS HERESAY. WE NEED THE JOBS PEOPLE. THEY CAN TRAIN NEW PEOPLE IF THEY LOOSE ANYONE. THEN THEY MAY BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY REDUCE THERE WAGES. I JUST THINK THAT THERE IS SOMEONE OR GROUP THAT MAY BE KEEPING ALOT OF THINGS AWAY THAT WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE AVERAGE PERSON DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT. THIS IS SPECULATION.
ole timer

United States

#6 Oct 17, 2008
Well you certainly didn't ask this ole timer.

As a Tech Grad, though, why are you asking them to give you ideas? Why not use your education and go to the city, county, chamber, dev authority, etc; and offer your ideas?

We need more "doers" & less complainers if we are ever going to turn our community around.
Tech Grad

Gay, GA

#7 Oct 17, 2008
ole timer wrote:
Well you certainly didn't ask this ole timer.
As a Tech Grad, though, why are you asking them to give you ideas? Why not use your education and go to the city, county, chamber, dev authority, etc; and offer your ideas?
We need more "doers" & less complainers if we are ever going to turn our community around.
After that conversation, I and my team was successful in placing a new facility at another location here in Georgia. They seemed to want the business and was most appreciative.
Tech Grad

Gay, GA

#8 Oct 17, 2008
Tech Grad wrote:
<quoted text>After that conversation, I and my team was successful in placing a new facility at another location here in Georgia. They seemed to want the business and was most appreciative.
We did a lot of research on this before going out to market the idea. We wanted to place the business in a location that most needed jobs. We also sought not to contact any local officials, as we were getting advice from several officials outside of our search area. We found a perfect spot in Jeff Davis County and met with several of the ole timers and were plesantly surprised at the responses. We cancelled Hazlehurst off the list and went on to the next of the towns on our list.
Serious

United States

#9 Oct 17, 2008
Tech Grad - what kind of business was it that you were trying to help us out with? just wondering on what we missed out on. seems lately we are missing alot of new business and they go to other towns around us :(
ole timer

United States

#10 Oct 17, 2008
Tech Grad wrote:
<quoted text>We did a lot of research on this before going out to market the idea. We wanted to place the business in a location that most needed jobs. We also sought not to contact any local officials, as we were getting advice from several officials outside of our search area. We found a perfect spot in Jeff Davis County and met with several of the ole timers and were plesantly surprised at the responses. We cancelled Hazlehurst off the list and went on to the next of the towns on our list.
Really? So you & your team actually came to Hazlehurst looking to establish a business, but didn't contact any local officials? I hate to call BS, but that story really sounds fishy.

If your story above is true, why in your first post did you try & give the impression you were a local citizen by using the term "WE"?

I quote: "Until we change the mindset and get rid of the corruption, we aren't getting anything. It doesn't matter if Jesus was Mayor."

Methinks you are just another troublemaker trying to stir up more crap.

“Gotta love it”

Since: Sep 08

Georgia

#11 Oct 17, 2008
ole timer wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? So you & your team actually came to Hazlehurst looking to establish a business, but didn't contact any local officials? I hate to call BS, but that story really sounds fishy.
If your story above is true, why in your first post did you try & give the impression you were a local citizen by using the term "WE"?
I quote: "Until we change the mindset and get rid of the corruption, we aren't getting anything. It doesn't matter if Jesus was Mayor."
Methinks you are just another troublemaker trying to stir up more crap.
Way to stay on top of it, Ole Timer, good job.

I got suspicious not only because of the slip you noticed, but also in every one of his posts, there are either spelling or grammatical errors.
I normally overlook spelling and grammar and just concern myself with the content, but I'm with you on this one, it's too far out there so I looked a little closer. An error here or there isn't uncommon, I make them all the time, but not in every single post, by a "Tech Grad" in such a responsible position.

I was also curious about the old timers his "team" met in Hazlehurst. They didn't contact local officials, but found a nice spot, then met with some old timers there. If you're looking for a place to build a business, your decision wouldn't depend entirely on a the opinions of just few random residents that you happen to encounter at the potential business site.
Sputtering Piper

Gay, GA

#12 Oct 17, 2008
I know who the "Tech Grad" folks are. Who they met, I have no idea. I do know they were at least here in Hazlehurst. A State official indicated to me they were in hazlehurst, GA for 2 days. I know they worked out of a motel in Dublin, GA. I tried to find out what type of business, the official would not tell me. That is about all I know of this situation.
Sputtering Piper

Gay, GA

#13 Oct 17, 2008
Sputtering Piper wrote:
I know who the "Tech Grad" folks are. Who they met, I have no idea. I do know they were at least here in Hazlehurst. A State official indicated to me they were in hazlehurst, GA for 2 days. I know they worked out of a motel in Dublin, GA. I tried to find out what type of business, the official would not tell me. That is about all I know of this situation.
I know they are engineers, but I don't what exactly they do.
Sputtering Piper

Gay, GA

#14 Oct 17, 2008
Sorry....I don't know exactly what they do.
Eagle Has Landed

White House, TN

#15 Oct 17, 2008
Wonder if it was the plant that Baxley got rewarded a couple weeks ago? If this is true what Tech Grad is saying about the people they met, then he/they talked to the wrong people. I wouldn't think a research group would talk to people at random, also why go after ONLY 'old timers' as they would not be in the workforce. If I ran a research group I would go for the general population 18 - 85 years but concentrate more on 25-50 because of work potential. I think 'ole timer' and 'third moon mouse' got it right.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#16 Oct 17, 2008
Whatever wrote:
WHAT CAN I SAY YOU ARE CORRECT IN SAYING THAT. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T WANT ANY THING DIFFERENT.
ALSO I FEEL LIKE THE ONES WHO ARE SEEMINGLY SUPPOSE TO BE GETTING NEW INDUSTRY IN JD AND HAZ ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE MONEY AND THEY DON'T WANT NEW INDUSTRY TO TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT IS ALREADY HERE. IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT CURRENT INDUSTRY DOES NOT WANT NEW INDUSTRY BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE TO COMPETE WITH WAGES. THAT IS HERESAY. WE NEED THE JOBS PEOPLE. THEY CAN TRAIN NEW PEOPLE IF THEY LOOSE ANYONE. THEN THEY MAY BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY REDUCE THERE WAGES. I JUST THINK THAT THERE IS SOMEONE OR GROUP THAT MAY BE KEEPING ALOT OF THINGS AWAY THAT WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE AVERAGE PERSON DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT. THIS IS SPECULATION.
The "Who's Who" are in control...the same Ol' one's wiwth the "name's"...they control it all just as you stated. They don't want change as they would loose control & it would surely effect their pockets. Personally, I like what I find on the Internet showing investigaion into the southeastern region of Georgia...maybe there will be change in store afterall. But, do vote & don't fear your choice on YOUR BALLOT! There are a few individuals "buying up" the town & they will have control if they are not governed. Picket Harrison was taken to court by a tenant who stood for their rights & won...the town's people should stand for their rights and not LET this continue!
Concerned Citizen

Virginia, MN

#17 Feb 12, 2009
Be sure you know what you are saying when you talk about Hazlehurst in public. Many folks do not want any changes, only control. Sometimes these out of town folks notice the negative attitude in a business officw or even a 7-11 and decide they don't want to come to such an unappreciative place. Be sure to listen well to those in high positions who don't want any changes. Tell them you do even if it means they retire and go home. The future belongs to our youth. Let's make it worthwhile for them!
just airing my thoughts

Atlanta, GA

#18 Feb 13, 2009
I can tell you that when Walmart came to Baxley that they did so in "Sheeps" clothing. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but they had to do it to keep big money and narrow minded people out of it. They used a company to survey and purchase the land, then turned it over to site and design. Then before buisness' in town new what happened, BOOM we had a Walmart coming to town.... Its ashamed that it has to be done that way, but oh well if thats what it takes then so be it...
Rover

Atlanta, GA

#19 Feb 14, 2009
Oh my gosh! Change! Oh no! It might help Hazlehurst in some small way and we can't have that! Afterall just look at the growth in our town, the new restaurants and shops, and let's not forget all the wonderful jobs from which we can choose! Of course it has made rush hour traffic really bad around here!

Mayor Stone please keep your focus and don't listen to these doomsayers! They're the same ones that has sat on the side lines for years and watched opportunity after opportunity slip right through our hands!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazlehurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dope boys (Jun '15) 6 hr coy quinn 19
Kevin Quinn 6 hr coy quinn 21
Rent to own or decent rental property in baxley? 7 hr Please help 2
Families with multiple gay children 7 hr Mary W D 6
Jody Merritt Jan 12 Anonymous 1
Alicia rollins Jan 12 Anonymous 1
Johnny bryant Jan 12 Anonymous 1

Hazlehurst Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hazlehurst Mortgages