Jeff Davis County sheriff to plead guilty

Posted in the Hazlehurst Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#1 Sep 3, 2008
Sheriff Jimmy Laddie Boatright Jr., the longtime top lawman of Jeff Davis County, will plead guilty Monday to federal charges stemming from an FBI investigation into his use of drug abuse prevention funds and a Sheriff's Office pickup truck.

I'm ready to face it," Boatright told the Times-Union on Tuesday.

Boatright then referred the newspaper to his attorney, James "Pete" Theodocion of Augusta, who was in court and didn't immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

Sheriff for almost 16 years, Boatright was charged Aug. 14 with single counts each of wire fraud and bank fraud in U.S. District Court at Waycross.

Boatright is accused of using $2,182 of Drug Abuse Resistance Education funds on Sept. 1, 2003, to buy a Hitachi television for himself at a Waycross appliance store.

He also is accused of using a 1996 Mazda B4000 pickup truck belonging to the Sheriff's Office as collateral on a $16,518 personal loan from Altamaha Bank and Trust last year.

Boatright is scheduled to plead guilty in the case Monday morning during a hearing before Chief U.S. District Judge William T. Moore Jr. in Savannah, a court notice filed Tuesday showed.

The proposed plea agreement hadn't been filed with the court.

However, Boatright is expected to resign, a common requirement in such plea bargains. In Georgia, sheriffs and other elected officials are removed from office upon conviction of a felony offense.

Wire fraud is punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison, and a fine up to $250,000. Bank fraud is punishable by a maximum 30-year prison sentence and a $1 million fine.

Boatright, who's had recent health problems, was unopposed in seeking his fifth term as sheriff in the November general election.

If Boatright resigns or is removed, state law requires county Probate Judge Arthur Buford to appoint an interim sheriff until a special election is held to fill the position.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories...

Since: Aug 08

Macon, GA

#2 Sep 3, 2008
Well that's the newspaper's version. I think we should wait until Tuesday to find out what happened on Monday. I will personally maintain my hope and faith in God and the good man I know Jimmy Boatright is.

Most of all I will pray that no matter what happens in the case, he will come out on the other end knowing that most of the people of Jeff Davis County still hold him in high regard.

He and I, like many others know who is in control. Pray for our Sheriff and his family.

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#3 Sep 3, 2008
He is openly admitting to the charges and you still don't believe it? His attorney filed notice to the court of his entent to plead guilty and you accuse the paper of printing their own version of this? There is even a quote from Boatright himself saying,"I'm ready to face it." What else do you need?

Since: Aug 08

Macon, GA

#4 Sep 3, 2008
Little ol_me wrote:
He is openly admitting to the charges and you still don't believe it? His attorney filed notice to the court of his entent to plead guilty and you accuse the paper of printing their own version of this? There is even a quote from Boatright himself saying,"I'm ready to face it." What else do you need?
OK...now we have your version. I think I will wait till Tuesday.

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#5 Sep 3, 2008
Maybe he'll stop by your house this week and tell you because I don't think you'll even believe what you hear on Tuesday.

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#6 Sep 3, 2008
"Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help" (Psalm 146:3)

"He who trusts in his riches will fall, But the righteous will flourish like foliage" (Proverbs 11:28)
Preachers Wife

United States

#7 Sep 3, 2008
Little ol_me wrote:
"Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help" (Psalm 146:3)
"He who trusts in his riches will fall, But the righteous will flourish like foliage" (Proverbs 11:28)
What a wonderful response to that, it shows alot of wisdom. I wish I was as witty as you........
Popcorn and Peanuts

United States

#8 Sep 3, 2008
Little ol_me wrote:
Maybe he'll stop by your house this week and tell you because I don't think you'll even believe what you hear on Tuesday.
Who will they put in his place until this election? Has anyone heard?
Observer

United States

#9 Sep 3, 2008
Jimmy made mistakes and used poor judgement. Neither cost the community or the citizens of JD County any loss. If you measure these two mistakes against all the good he has done in our community and the lives he has changed in positive ways, he is by far a Winner and we will actually be the Losers, once he resigns. He has admitted he was wrong and has stepped forward to accept his punishment. I expected no less him.
I hope that all of us are not measured only by the mistakes we make.

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#10 Sep 3, 2008
I'm pretty sure that tv cost the community seeing as it was money intended for drug awareness education for school children.
Brown eyed Southern Girl

Atlanta, GA

#11 Sep 3, 2008
Drug awareness starts in the home...not in the schools!
I am praying for Mr. Jimmy and his family.
Pray

Richardson, TX

#12 Sep 3, 2008
Brown eyed Southern Girl wrote:
Drug awareness starts in the home...not in the schools!
I am praying for Mr. Jimmy and his family.
Everyone is praying for him, but that doesn't make him less guilty!
Answer The Question

United States

#13 Sep 3, 2008
Little ol_me wrote:
I'm pretty sure that tv cost the community seeing as it was money intended for drug awareness education for school children.
I agree with you that was dare money for the kids not drug money from some thugs. I asked my aunt today could I borrow some money against her corvair and she said no, point is I asked first!

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#14 Sep 3, 2008
What kind of arguement is that? Really, the point is he stole money that didn't belong to him, its purpose was to help reinforce the dangers of drugs, some children do not have an enviroment at home that teaches them that drugs are bad and I don't believe that they should be deprived because someone wanted a big screen tv. He is a thief, caught red handed and admittedly so, what he stole was money for kids, for their better future, thats the man you're defending. Yes pray for him and his family but don't forget to pray for the kids who he let down and by action said they were less important than his own desires.

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#15 Sep 3, 2008
Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."---Matthew 22:21

He can recieve forgiveness from God and from the community but he has to pay the law what is due for his crimes.

Since: Aug 08

Macon, GA

#16 Sep 3, 2008
Little ol_me wrote:
Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."---Matthew 22:21
He can recieve forgiveness from God and from the community but he has to pay the law what is due for his crimes.
You are so full of yourself!

What about "Judge not lest ye be judged." Or "Let those that are without sin cast the first stone."

You conveniently leave these verses out because they show you to be as evil as what you claim he is. In doing this you cancel each of the verses you list.

You have tried him and passed your judgement without allowing Ceasar's law or God's law to fully go to process. You trust your vengeful mind and passion more than the bible you quote so rapidly.
Plaid Roses

United States

#17 Sep 3, 2008
Whose got the hand cuffs? Looks like he's guilty to me! All these sad faces and tears. There's been talk for weeks, "innocent until proven guilty." When something comes out in the Florida Times Union and the Macon Telegraph, I'd say that pretty substantial!

Since: Aug 08

Hazlehurst

#18 Sep 3, 2008
I don't have to judge a man on his guilt if he admits that he is guilty. I didn't cast a stone, I only stated that he must pay for the crimes that he has admitted to.

Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty.

STEPHEN KING, The Last Gunslinger

In a free society, there comes a time when the truth -- however hard it may be to hear, however impolitic it may seem to say -- must be told.

AL GORE

Truth is like the town whore. Everybody knows her, but nonetheless, it's embarrassing to meet her on the street.

WOLFGANG BORCHERT, The Outsider

All great truths begin as blasphemies.

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW, Annajanska

Since: Sep 08

Hazlehurst

#19 Sep 3, 2008
Boogar wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of yourself!
What about "Judge not lest ye be judged." Or "Let those that are without sin cast the first stone."
You conveniently leave these verses out because they show you to be as evil as what you claim he is. In doing this you cancel each of the verses you list.
You have tried him and passed your judgement without allowing Ceasar's law or God's law to fully go to process. You trust your vengeful mind and passion more than the bible you quote so rapidly.
And now you're judging lil ol me for judging? good job!! NOT!
Look I love Jimmy. Jimmy has always been there for me and my family; but if I was to do something this serious he would have to do his job and lock me up. Now, if he has done wrong (and it sure looks that way) then he should be punished. Isn't that a law enforcement slogan "You do the crime, you do the time".
Jimmy is a good man, but wrong is wrong, no matter who you are. And just because he is sheriff does not mean he is ABOVE the law!
Ethels Friend Juicey Lucy

United States

#20 Sep 3, 2008
Little ol_me wrote:
I don't have to judge a man on his guilt if he admits that he is guilty. I didn't cast a stone, I only stated that he must pay for the crimes that he has admitted to.
Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty.
STEPHEN KING, The Last Gunslinger
In a free society, there comes a time when the truth -- however hard it may be to hear, however impolitic it may seem to say -- must be told.
AL GORE
Truth is like the town whore. Everybody knows her, but nonetheless, it's embarrassing to meet her on the street.
WOLFGANG BORCHERT, The Outsider
All great truths begin as blasphemies.
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW, Annajanska
So this is where you went, you left my friend Ethel and came over here to attack the sheriffs good name. You are something else ain't ya?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazlehurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Richest in Jeff Davis (Nov '13) 1 hr doubter 76
2 found dead on Deer run rd 1 hr DeDe 27
David Flint 2 hr Truthful 11
found dead (rumor) 6 hr Time Keeper 12
Cross dresser at High School Prom 11 hr Uncle Lum 25
Spells Mansion (Nov '08) Mon Richard F 429
anybody know? Mon hmmm 2
More from around the web

Hazlehurst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]