INFO

Palm Bay, FL

#62 Sep 24, 2010
cat walk wrote:
why not just put up a cat walk for those folks to cross the road. if they cross anywhere other than the catwalk, so be it. i bet the catwalk would be a lot more efficent and cost a helluva lot less than that damn useless light ya'll mumbling about.
The requirements and specs for building what you describe as a "catwalk" over a four lane State/Federal highway would be significatly more costly than a traffic signal.
LAWMAN

United States

#63 Sep 25, 2010
G S P wrote:
Ok Lawman here's a law lesson for you Any state county or municipal uniformed officer can infact write a citation for five MPH over the speed limit if deemed neccesary and is at the officers discretion He/She can also stop any one over 1 MPH if the officer has justifiable cause the offender is endangering others on the roadway.
Per: O.C.G.A 40-6-1 officer can also at his/her discretion add 6 points to license for 35= MPH over the speed limit with a fine not to exceed $500.00 and in Ga the new law add's $275.00 for the state in addition to the local fines. And yes you was right on the failure to yield max fine is $1000.00 and I beleave thats was what the poster was implacating. Oh BTW yes I am post certified and do know most all Ga codes and provisions set forth. Also I dont see anything here about anyone trying to change Hazlehurst what I do see is some logical solutions and suggestions. If you need any more codes of enforcment just let me know. And no I don't usaly write a citation unless the offender is over 10 mpg most cases a warning will do.
Ok Mr. gsp why dont you show me in the lawbook where a county or municipal officer can write a citation for going five miles an hour over. everything i have been taught and everything i have read in georgia law requires the offender to be going 10 mph over. yes you can stop someone for going1mph over but no citation can be issued. As was posted in the orginal comment the poster stated making the failure to yield ticket a minimum of $1000.00. that cannot be done as i stated in a earlier post. so when you find that in a law book let me know i would love to see it. or are u another one of "Gods Special People" (GSP) that dont know shit.
FED

Palm Bay, FL

#64 Sep 25, 2010
LAWMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok Mr. gsp why dont you show me in the lawbook where a county or municipal officer can write a citation for going five miles an hour over. everything i have been taught and everything i have read in georgia law requires the offender to be going 10 mph over. yes you can stop someone for going1mph over but no citation can be issued. As was posted in the orginal comment the poster stated making the failure to yield ticket a minimum of $1000.00. that cannot be done as i stated in a earlier post. so when you find that in a law book let me know i would love to see it. or are u another one of "Gods Special People" (GSP) that dont know shit.
Here is some info that may help this discussion.OCGA 40-14-8 states that county, local and campus officers caanot develop a case of speeding under 10 MPH using a Speed Detection Device (SDD). They can however stop and issue a warning.
In its silence, the law does not stop a county, local or campus officer from issuing speeding ticket under 10MPH if pacing with a patrol car using the patrol car speedometer since the law does not define the speedomter as an SDD. OCGA 40-14-16 discusses county, local and campus tickets under 10MPH. OCGA 40-6-1 identifies financial penalties for exceeding the speed limit, it lists 5MPH or less 0 dollars; 5MPH to 10 MPH 25 dollars.
GSP is not mentioned in the Code therefore by its silence GSP can issue tickets for exceeeding the speed limit by even 1 MPH.
However, in view of the costs associated with the issuance of tickets very few are issued for speeds under 10MPH.
In point of fact, since most SDD are accurate to + or - 1MPH, most county, local and campus officers don't issue tickes unless the speed is exceeded by 13MPH-not the law but apparently normal practice.
Speeding in a school zone or construction site is totally different.
NOTE: I take no side in this discussion, I present only fact of law and what has been observed historically.
Hope this helps.
LAWMAN

United States

#65 Sep 25, 2010
FED wrote:
<quoted text>Here is some info that may help this discussion.OCGA 40-14-8 states that county, local and campus officers caanot develop a case of speeding under 10 MPH using a Speed Detection Device (SDD). They can however stop and issue a warning.
In its silence, the law does not stop a county, local or campus officer from issuing speeding ticket under 10MPH if pacing with a patrol car using the patrol car speedometer since the law does not define the speedomter as an SDD. OCGA 40-14-16 discusses county, local and campus tickets under 10MPH. OCGA 40-6-1 identifies financial penalties for exceeding the speed limit, it lists 5MPH or less 0 dollars; 5MPH to 10 MPH 25 dollars.
GSP is not mentioned in the Code therefore by its silence GSP can issue tickets for exceeeding the speed limit by even 1 MPH.
However, in view of the costs associated with the issuance of tickets very few are issued for speeds under 10MPH.
In point of fact, since most SDD are accurate to + or - 1MPH, most county, local and campus officers don't issue tickes unless the speed is exceeded by 13MPH-not the law but apparently normal practice.
Speeding in a school zone or construction site is totally different.
NOTE: I take no side in this discussion, I present only fact of law and what has been observed historically.
Hope this helps.
The only problem with the pacing tickets are they connot be won in court. if the citation is taken to court and the offender has any knowledge of law they can have the citation dropped because there is no way to check the accuracy or calibration of a speedometer daily. a daily check of accuracy is required. i have been in court and seen these "pacing tickets" and never have i seen any won in court.
Skynyrd Fan

United States

#66 Sep 25, 2010
Okay, i worked for years in Hazlehurst so i'm not a stranger to the situation. We ALL know about the accidents and fatalities that have happened on Coffee & Jarman Streets THROUGH THE YEARS!! Now, for YEARS the Hazlehurst folks tried to get them to put up a red light at Jarman & Gill, but the D.O.T. just refused over and over and over again!! Many people were killed and injured there and it's made no difference!! Plus, if you scanned Hazlehurst Police Dept. records you'd find many wrecks at Coffee & Williams, Jarman & Plum as well!! Why is it that only Coffee & Miller is taken seriously as a NEED for the light? It looks to me that it is politics kissing up to the black people of Hazlehurst!!If Miller St. gets a light, so should Gill St.
withoutadoubt

Allenhurst, GA

#67 Sep 25, 2010
The Gill street problem is entirely different. It could be solved with only speed bumps on the Altamaha Hwy. When so many wrecks were happening there, it was because of the high traffic from the two factories in the area. There is only one factory there now, with only a third of the people that were employed by one factory. The Coffee and Miller street area is entirely different. I have been in a wreck there from someone running a stop sign. We definitely need a red light there. We also need one on the other end of the bypass. Right now, we have to consider the money situation versus life. Which is more important?
FED

Palm Bay, FL

#68 Sep 25, 2010
LAWMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
The only problem with the pacing tickets are they connot be won in court. if the citation is taken to court and the offender has any knowledge of law they can have the citation dropped because there is no way to check the accuracy or calibration of a speedometer daily. a daily check of accuracy is required. i have been in court and seen these "pacing tickets" and never have i seen any won in court.
Understandable.
FED

Palm Bay, FL

#69 Sep 25, 2010
Skynyrd Fan wrote:
Okay, i worked for years in Hazlehurst so i'm not a stranger to the situation. We ALL know about the accidents and fatalities that have happened on Coffee & Jarman Streets THROUGH THE YEARS!! Now, for YEARS the Hazlehurst folks tried to get them to put up a red light at Jarman & Gill, but the D.O.T. just refused over and over and over again!! Many people were killed and injured there and it's made no difference!! Plus, if you scanned Hazlehurst Police Dept. records you'd find many wrecks at Coffee & Williams, Jarman & Plum as well!! Why is it that only Coffee & Miller is taken seriously as a NEED for the light? It looks to me that it is politics kissing up to the black people of Hazlehurst!!If Miller St. gets a light, so should Gill St.
Three points for consideration.
First, race is never taken into account when determining pedestrian and vehicle safety in any State.
Second, Although not written in law, it is highly unlikely that GDOT would approve mutiple Traffic Signals on a State/Federal 4 lane highway less than 1/4 mile apart. A single Signal properly located on a highway with a speed limit of 35MPH will result in an average speed before and after the signal of between 30 and 35MPH with minimal impact on traffic flow. The Signal being discussed has had a speed study and investigation performed, installation design completed and permitting issued.
Third,Speed "bumps" are installed on low speed (20MPH) roads, usually in residential area, since cross over speed is approx 5MPH.
Criteria includes a speed study which must indicate an 85th percentile speed in excess of 35MPH. Installation of speed "bumps" is usually initiated by petition signed by residents of the area.

If the alternate areas/actions in your and "withoutadoubt" Posts are wihin the parameters of Second and Third Points above work on pursuing them.
Citizen

United States

#70 Sep 25, 2010
withoutadoubt wrote:
The Gill street problem is entirely different. It could be solved with only speed bumps on the Altamaha Hwy. When so many wrecks were happening there, it was because of the high traffic from the two factories in the area. There is only one factory there now, with only a third of the people that were employed by one factory. The Coffee and Miller street area is entirely different. I have been in a wreck there from someone running a stop sign. We definitely need a red light there. We also need one on the other end of the bypass. Right now, we have to consider the money situation versus life. Which is more important?
Where is the money tree. Also if they would run a stop sign they would certainly run a red light. That happens all the time. How about a speed break there?
withoutadoubt

Savannah, GA

#71 Sep 25, 2010
Citizen, I adressed the money issue, but at some point we're going to have to spend money for safety. The speed breaks would probably slow the ones who runs the stop signs, but what about the pedestrians? The ones in authority need to go back to GDOT with all the statistics and see if money is available. If a red light is put at the Miller St. intersection this will help at North Williams St. Another alternative, close the street off on the Dairy Queen side--drastic, but what else can you do? Everyone had a fit when the red lights were put at the bypass and at Wal Mart. I have no problems with either. I do think the speed limit should be reduced to 30 0r 35 by the Dairy Queen. Even at that spped with all the traffic, if a pedestrian is hit, more than likely more than one car is probably going to be involved.
Citizen

United States

#72 Sep 26, 2010
Unless the pedestrian is impaired in someway or just impatient there is no reason to cross a busy highway unless the traffic is clear. If they are impaired 10 red light would not stop them. Erect a large sign there to warn of the dangerers of crossing a busy insection. Spending money for safety is always good but how about some other pressing problem such of Lack of JOBs, High Taxes, Feeding the Poor. High Water and Sewer Rates, Trash pickup,Paving roads that are not safe. BEING CAREFUL IS SOMETHING WE CAN DO FOR OURSELVES.... .
Just Sayin

Navarre, FL

#73 Sep 26, 2010
withoutadoubt wrote:
The ones in authority need to go back to GDOT with all the statistics and see if money is available.
I asked earlier and got no response, so I'll ask again. How many traffic fatalities have there been in the county the past 10 years and how many of them were at the Miller St intersection. I would guess it would be a very small percentage. Now, one lost life is too many. Still, would a traffic light really be that effective in preventing another pedestrian fatality?
Bob

Jesup, GA

#74 Sep 26, 2010
I went through the area just this past week. I slowed down just thinking of what was in the paper. A young man that looked to be about 16-17 was walking very slow. I moved over from the left lane to the right and he kept walking. I almost had to slam on brakes. He then flexed and bowed up at me like I was in the wrong. I have seen situations like this many time at the intersection. Just thought I would point this out. Caution light might not change anything. So the full light would be needed.
Citizen

United States

#75 Sep 26, 2010
Bob wrote:
I went through the area just this past week. I slowed down just thinking of what was in the paper. A young man that looked to be about 16-17 was walking very slow. I moved over from the left lane to the right and he kept walking. I almost had to slam on brakes. He then flexed and bowed up at me like I was in the wrong. I have seen situations like this many time at the intersection. Just thought I would point this out. Caution light might not change anything. So the full light would be needed.
Don't get you point. What differance would the light make? It sounds like you encountered a drunk.
funky

Navarre, FL

#76 Sep 26, 2010
the intersection is not the fault - it's the people using it. You cann't legislate or educate or spend enough money to cure ignorant, don't care attitudes.
Citizen

United States

#77 Sep 26, 2010
Amen

“A heart at peace gives life”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78 Sep 26, 2010
funky wrote:
the intersection is not the fault - it's the people using it. You cann't legislate or educate or spend enough money to cure ignorant, don't care attitudes.
So are you suggesting that the people that lost their lives at this intersection were ignorant with don't care attitudes????????

Location hidden

#79 Sep 26, 2010
Citizen wrote:
Amen
And I guess you are agreeing with Funky..........So sad..........soooooooo sad

Location hidden

#80 Sep 26, 2010
Bob wrote:
Soooo everybody is flexing at you when you come through this intersection..........kind of hard to believe this one ..........lol......Sure your real name is not Beyonce'
funky

Navarre, FL

#81 Sep 26, 2010
Not necessarily talking about the victim - you read a lot between the lines - maybe I meant the driver or other cause of the accidents that have occured.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazlehurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spread the word across America. Boycott ALL sp... 1 hr Former NFL Player 1
Boycott the games if the sorry ball players dis... 23 hr Down with NFL 2
walsh family secret Mon PI 3
Richard Deas (Sep '08) Mon Concerned 67
Cheaters Sun Debbie 3
married with a boyfriend (May '15) Sun Your best friend 65
want to invest money Sep 23 patsy rup 7

Hazlehurst Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance