Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,788

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#91147 Jul 26, 2013
Anne wrote:
Trama drama time at the ole homestead. A basketball size hornets nest is about 6 ft from the yard--in the weedy woods--ground level. It goes from snake in the birdhouse to hot angry hornets. Sheesh. Any hornet fighters out there in topix land? Best suggestion so far is to wait till a dark cool night then dump a half gallon diesel on them. MY best idea is to let someone else handle the situation. Beings that it's by the yard and the kids play there, I've really got to get rid of them.
Get hornet/wasp spray killer, with long range stream. Wait until after dark, when hornets go in the hive, then get a flashlight, target it, and spray away. Be sure to completely saturate the hive. Don't light a fire....you may burn the woods down. I almost did that a long time ago, but that's another story.

Location hidden

#91148 Jul 26, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I saw something on tv yesterday advertising a booklet about home remedies for pest control. It mentioned fresh squeezed orange juice and peelings being good for ridding fleas from pets. It said that when the pet licks it, it is not harmful like some chemicals would be. So I googled "Oranges for fleas". Interesting reading. This is a bad time of the year for fleas, so I will get some oranges.
It also referenced putting a night light over a white bowl filled with Dawn dish liquid and water. The light attracts the fleas that fall into the liquid and drown and the fleas flee.
Put Advantix II on DOG, every 30 days. If you put it between his shoulders, he cannot get at it to lick it off. The natural remedies are good for getting rid of fleas, but they don't get rid of ALL of them, including eggs laid that just lie in wait to hatch. Dog can also bring in an errant flea into the house, and if it is a female, oh Lord, they can multiply fast. I found that out the hard way long, long ago, and take no chances now. Advantix still works for fleas and ticks, but the other popular insecticides (including some of the more expensive ones) no longer work. Fleas build up tolerance, then immunity. In another year or two, if these mild winters keep up, Advantix will stop working too.

Location hidden

#91149 Jul 26, 2013
Imposter wrote:
I stopped going to flea markets.
Me, too. Goodwill is a better boutique with competitive prices. LOL

Location hidden

#91150 Jul 26, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I trapped a skunk a few years ago, caught her in a live trap. I was after a coon that was tearing up my garbage. I was going to relocate the coon way off somewhere.
But anyway...I came one hair of sneaking that skunk into the courthouse and letting her go in there LOL. Glad I thought better of it, I figured I'd end up in the pokey if I did that.
This whole county stinks of corruption anyways. That skunk wouldn't really have been out of place down there with the rest of those politician skunks.
I agree. That would suit me just fine, but I too, would get caught and end up in the pokey. I'll just bet my county is one of the most corrupt in KY. The stuff that goes on here would curl your hair.

Location hidden

#91151 Jul 26, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I am either old enough, solo enough, or macho enough to not worry about what others may think of me. I wear loose cotton lounging pants and a house coat when the weather is cooler. Even been known to drop the house coat in lieu of a long sleeved tee and go to the Dollar Store. LOL Besides, I gave up on trying to win the beauty contest way back in 1978 LOL
I gave up the day I was born, LOL Jogging pants and sweaters are good in the cool weather, for around the house. In the hot weather, I roam around in underwear (if no one is home). It beats the heat.

Location hidden

#91152 Jul 26, 2013
Anne wrote:
My husband has a difficult time with any outbreak of poison--ivy, oak .. He ends up having to go to the doctor every time. He is so miserable and always talks about home remedies but we can't ever seem to find slippery elm.
Thanks for the discussion about home remedies. Couldn't find slippery elm bark, and wouldn't know it if I saw it. I ended up spreading the poison oak all over myself by the constant scratching, so I relented and went to the doctor today. Got a shot in the azz with some steroid, and a course of treatment with prednisone pills and some other type of pill designed to ease itching. I was never allergic to poison ivy/oak, and this is the first time that i had a problem, but oh boy, I made up for it.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91153 Jul 26, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Put Advantix II on DOG, every 30 days. If you put it between his shoulders, he cannot get at it to lick it off. The natural remedies are good for getting rid of fleas, but they don't get rid of ALL of them, including eggs laid that just lie in wait to hatch. Dog can also bring in an errant flea into the house, and if it is a female, oh Lord, they can multiply fast. I found that out the hard way long, long ago, and take no chances now. Advantix still works for fleas and ticks, but the other popular insecticides (including some of the more expensive ones) no longer work. Fleas build up tolerance, then immunity. In another year or two, if these mild winters keep up, Advantix will stop working too.
I use something called "Freedom45" bought at Tractor Supply that works quite well and is cheaper than Frontline. But as with most of those, they are not supposed to be used except every 30 days. The oranges interested me in that they could be used more often and to possibly supplement the Freedom45.
Anne

United States

#91154 Jul 26, 2013
I got 'em!! I sprayed 3 cans of wasp and hornet spray on the hornets nest. I pulled the car as close to the nest as I possibly could. Rolled the window down--just far enough--and sprayed and sprayed the nest!! Tomorrow I will take a long pole and poke the nest (from the safety of the car) just so I'm sure they are gone.

Lala, my husband always ends up getting shots for his poison ivy/oak also. He really gets gross with running sores etc. Me? I usually get a couple of itchy bumps, but I guess my body chemistry could change any time and I end up in an awful mess like what happened to you.
One thing I generally ask the guys I hire to do some type of outdoor work is if they are allergic to poison ivy. Not one of them get it! They just wade through it like its a flower garden! Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91155 Jul 26, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodwill is fine for women and children, but men wear their stuff until it is hardly fit for the rag bag. The last couple times I went there all they had was Barney Fife's suit. LOL
Anne

United States

#91156 Jul 26, 2013
Years ago our washer and dryer was located in the garage. On the floor in front of them was a throw rug that our dog slept on. One day I stepped onto the rug to fill the washer and dozens of fleas jumped onto my ankles! Too late! They quickly took over the upstairs also and we spent mucho dinero fogging the house for fleas. Took a couple of fogging sessions but we finally won!
Anne

United States

#91157 Jul 26, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I love thrift shops!!! SVDP, Goodwill, Salvation Army, New Hope, on and on! The merchandise changes on a daily basis and generally the prices are good! I've found that western Kentucky thrift store prices are lower than Louisville area. AW, the stores I go to have a nice selection of men's clothes. Sorry about that. Btw, my better half won't hardly enter a thrift shop or go to a yard sale, but it was his mother that clued me in on these wonderful places. Lol
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91158 Jul 26, 2013
I think one can build up somewhat of an immunity to poison ivy by being in it more frequently, or at least I have. I had severe cases when I was younger and worked in an office and was just not outside that much. It is quite prevalent around here and does not bother me any more. I am out in it almost daily.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91159 Jul 27, 2013
No one on here posting this morning, so I guess I will just go listen to Foghorn LegHorn's and Rooster Cogburn's duet.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91160 Jul 27, 2013
Been severely nauseous this morning. I wonder if that has anything to do with not sleeping?

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#91161 Jul 27, 2013
A woman rushed in to see her doctor, looking very worried and all strung out. She said, "Doctor, take a look at me! When I woke up this morning, I looked at myself in the mirror, and saw my hair all wiry and frazzled up, my skin was all wrinkled and pasty, my eyes were bloodshot and bugging out, and I had this corpse-like look on my face! What's wrong with me, Doctor?"

The doctor looks her over for a couple of moments, then calmly says, "Well, lady, I can tell you that there sure as hell ain't nothing wrong with your eyesight!"
what now

United States

#91162 Jul 27, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Been severely nauseous this morning. I wonder if that has anything to do with not sleeping?
You're pregnant, silly! Get well soon! Hope you have a good rest of the day!
Anne

Mitchell, IN

#91163 Jul 27, 2013
what now wrote:
<quoted text>
You're pregnant, silly! Get well soon! Hope you have a good rest of the day!
That was my first thought also. Lol
Seriously though I hope you feel better soon. I hate being nauseous, guess everyone does!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91164 Jul 27, 2013
I refuse to take pain pills, even when I had heart surgery. I can handle the pain better than the resulting nausea.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#91165 Jul 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodwill is fine for women and children, but men wear their stuff until it is hardly fit for the rag bag. The last couple times I went there all they had was Barney Fife's suit. LOL
Its not there anymore I bought it to wear to church.
Imposter

Somerset, KY

#91166 Jul 27, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest second hand store to me is a Methodist store, its like a gold mine.
A lot of well to do'ers live close to it. I picked up several pairs of dockers shorts not long ago for two bucks seventy five cents a pair. Got a microwave there last year for ten bucks and it still works fine.

Anyone have any ideas about how to keep ants out of a hummingbird feeder?
I have it on a string but the ants just climb down the string and sugar water dive somehow...I guess they dive in through the holes in the bottom IDK.
The thing stays full of drowned ants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazel Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 13 min Paul was Saul 134,270
Best gospel singer in jackson 57 min Love good music 18
i cheated 1 hr Why 28
looking forr arther neace 1 hr Faye 8
Hillary Clinton 1 hr lisa 27
crazy frontforest gang 1 hr dog 1
lola loves keth 1 hr Lola 22

Flood Warning for Wolfe County was issued at February 28 at 4:58PM EST

Hazel Green Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hazel Green People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE