Hmmm

Lewisport, KY

#1 Jan 14, 2009
How may one get chosen for this program. Seems like it takes an act of congress to get in. WHo could one talk to get a little pull.
blondie

Harrison, AR

#2 Jan 15, 2009
as far as i know there are no shortcuts to getting in the program.They look at your ACT scores,grade point average and still there is a very long list. Make sure they know you are willing to go to the jackson college if necessary,that is what i did.
Yep

Lewisport, KY

#3 Jan 15, 2009
It's real hard to get into. You have to have real good grades and a excellent ACT score.
Jett

United States

#4 Jan 15, 2009
blondie wrote:
as far as i know there are no shortcuts to getting in the program.They look at your ACT scores,grade point average and still there is a very long list. Make sure they know you are willing to go to the jackson college if necessary,that is what i did.
What is the minimum ACT score now?
Yep

Lewisport, KY

#5 Jan 15, 2009
I think they took 18's and above this time.
fact

Pella, IA

#6 Jan 15, 2009
You have to have a 21 to be considered for the RN program the LPN is 18
Jett

United States

#7 Jan 15, 2009
fact wrote:
You have to have a 21 to be considered for the RN program the LPN is 18
Awesome!!! Sounds like I could do it....
RN Student

Chesapeake, VA

#8 Jan 17, 2009
I am currently enrolled . I am in my 2nd semester of the RN program. When I enrolled, they took some with ACT scores of 18. The higher it is, the more points you get. The more college hours you have, the more points you get, Your college GPA also gets you points. There are also a few basic classes you have to have first. Go by the college admissions, they have booklets with all of the requirements.
Jett

United States

#9 Jan 17, 2009
Hmmmmm.....sounding even more promising...I have lots of college hours!!!!!

United States

#10 Jan 18, 2009
Try other colleges besides Hazard. If you really want to do nursing you should not only apply to hazards program, but Morehead and EKU as well. Im not sure of how many people EKU takes in their program, but Morehead takes around 40 for the associate and the same for the bachlors program.

Since: Jan 09

Louisa, KY

#11 Jan 19, 2009
It's EXTREMELY difficult to get into the nursing program at the Big Sandy Community and Technical College in Paintsville and Prestonsburg. I am currently on my second year in the RN program at BSCTC. I have heard that the nursing program here is much harder than the one in Hazard, so I wouldn't try to get in up here unless it is your last resort.
Being a student in the RN program at BSCTC is just like being in a military boot camp! The only difference is that you get to come home in the evenings.
Also, when you do get into a nursing program somewhere, be prepared for many, many sleepless nights. If you're not up all night studying, you'll be up all night worrying your ass off about your grades, lab, or clinicals!!
There is an instructor at BSCTC who thinks there aren't any students who deserve to be a nurse! Ms. DeRossett doesn't like anyone who doesn't kiss her ass and bow down to her every command! I wouldn't have made it to my second year here (I was comtemplating transferring to Hazard) if I had her again as an instructor in my second year!
It does seem like it takes an Act of Congress to get into a nursing program. At BSCTC, you have to pay for a background check and an initial drug screen besides your books, tuition, scrubs and other medical supplies.
Also, you have to put back $25 for a drug test that can be given at any moment that you're enrolled in the program. I agree 100% with the background checks and the drug screens.
I hear it's worth it after you graduate... if you don't have a nervous break down, stroke, or heart attack first! Good Luck!!!
Lesson Learned

London, KY

#12 Jan 19, 2009
I would hope that if you are going to be a nurse that the program should be hard. Please don't take being a nurse lightly because you will have people's lives in your hands and you should be prepared for that when you graduate. I will give you less than a year working and you will look back and thank your instructors.....I did
Old Friend

United States

#13 Jan 23, 2009
Get your A&P's over with first. It's way too hard to try & take these with your nursing courses. Once you start clinicals, you have to eat, sleep & breathe it. It's better if you have your harder requirements out of the way before you start nursing classes.
Unfortunately, 3rd semester kicked my a$$.
Jett

United States

#14 Jan 30, 2009
Well, I have a 27 on my ACT.....and over well over 100 college hours...which would be best to try to get into--the Hazard program or the BSCTC?
RN Student

Chesapeake, VA

#15 Jan 31, 2009
I am partial to Hazard, but I would say to check both of them out. The requirements may be different, the cost may be different, and also travel time may be an issue. BUT good luck with whichever you choose!
aaa

London, KY

#16 Feb 1, 2009
HCTC and BSCTC are both part of KCTCS system which means the curriculum should be the same and the cost would also be the same. The difference would be the instructors and how they present the material . YOu can apply to both and see what happens

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emily Morris Management wh*re 7 min One 3
Is JCPenney in Hazard closing permanently? 41 min hmm 4
Kentucky leads nation in child abuse (Oct '09) 47 min really 10
People who voted for Trump 1 hr Hah 44
Check your CAR taxes for 2017 1 hr Alexander 6
Short Men (Aug '16) 1 hr Common-Senses 309
Secret 2 hr The Real Yeti 114

Hazard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance