Frasure Creek
Confused

Jackson, KY

#266 Apr 22, 2012
arch wrote:
Arch complete shutdown comming in June!! Book it!!
WYMT News 4/19/12 reports

Mine will close in June

A Kentucky mine is closing and will leave 163 people out of work.

The Herald Leader is reporting the Sapphire Mine in Whitesburg will close in June.

The president of the Kentucky Coal Association tells the paper the coal industry is being hurt by weaker demand.

Whitesburg's mayor says the layoffs will be devastating.

Lexington Herald Leader reports on 4/19/12

Sapphire Coal Co. in Whitesburg plans to close its Advantage mine in the area and lay off its 163 workers.

The company disclosed the actions, which are expected to be taken by June 16, in a filing that government officials require businesses to make before mass layoffs.

Jennifer Guthrie, human resources manager and corporate counsel for Sapphire's parent company, United Coal, declined to discuss the move in detail.

"Primarily, it's market conditions, much like many of the people in the area are seeing," Guthrie said.

Bill Bissett, president of the Kentucky Coal Association, said the industry is seeing layoffs because of a combination of factors including weaker demand.

He said factors include the "very warm winter, which we all enjoyed but at the same time, that's less use of electricity."

He also cited lower demand from manufacturers, who have struggled in recent years with the economic downturn, and the federal government's stronger regulation of coal-fired power plants.

"I think it's having a real effect, especially on Eastern Kentucky," Bissett said.

Whitesburg Mayor James Wiley Craft said the layoffs will be "devastating" to the community.

"Whitesburg, as well as other towns around us, are so totally dependent on the mining industry, and when 163 men are permanently laid off, it becomes a real, real problem," he said. "We don't have any other industry, particularly here in Letcher County, for them to seek employment at other than government.

"And for the last month, I've had one or two people every day ask me if the city has any openings at all for employment.
miner

Hyden, KY

#267 Apr 22, 2012
and the news reports unemployment rate is down in ky how do they get this with so many companies shuting down dont understand
rockhog

Hindman, KY

#268 Apr 22, 2012
will be back some. just wait and see F.C new owners
duh

Manchester, KY

#269 Apr 22, 2012
they only report the ones receiving unemployment so if you have drawed out you are no longer part of the unemployment rate this way it stays down
razor

Hindman, KY

#271 Apr 23, 2012
can anyone tell me if frasure cr going back to work in 2 week
Wonder

Rockholds, KY

#272 Apr 23, 2012
what are they gonna do with all that coal they have piled up at Bulan? Can't they sell it?
miner

Elizabethtown, KY

#273 Apr 24, 2012
started loading trains from bulan yesterday got 4 this week and 4 next week dont know after that
sadd

Manchester, KY

#274 Apr 24, 2012
:(
rockhog

Hindman, KY

#275 Apr 24, 2012
sadd ur sadd so sadd and i bet ur ulgy to
RT 39 f6

Hyden, KY

#276 Apr 24, 2012
mr big i think you used to be the rollin light plant at frasure creek
RT 39 f6

Hyden, KY

#277 Apr 24, 2012
and none of you kno what ur talkin bout....the ones that got laid off last will be called back in 3 weeks from today..watch and see
over

Krypton, KY

#278 Apr 25, 2012
It's over!!
everywhere

Bolivar, MO

#279 Apr 25, 2012
was loading a train late last night.heard big daddy gave his 2 week notice.running with all the money?if its true we should line up and kick his a-ss all the way out of ky seeing as how he hates ky.we should give him a kentucky send off
I know

Martin, KY

#280 Apr 25, 2012
everywhere wrote:
was loading a train late last night.heard big daddy gave his 2 week notice.running with all the money?if its true we should line up and kick his a-ss all the way out of ky seeing as how he hates ky.we should give him a kentucky send off
This is way tooo funny! Nobody in Hazard has enough guts to say anything to "big daddy" other than hiding behind your computer. You know he will kick your a**
RT 39 f6

Hyden, KY

#281 Apr 25, 2012
id like to light him up like a plinko machine...cmon cmon
RT 39 f6

Hyden, KY

#282 Apr 25, 2012
im in your chair and i like it there..cmon cmon
I know

Martin, KY

#283 Apr 25, 2012
RT 39 f6 wrote:
id like to light him up like a plinko machine...cmon cmon
Light him up ... chicken shit!
mr big

Hindman, KY

#284 Apr 25, 2012
RT 39 f6 i dont roll a dam thing im rollin in the $$$$$$$$ while u work your ass off for nothing.if you even work i bet u wish u were me dont u
kiwk

Hindman, KY

#285 May 1, 2012
does anyone know when we will be back to work
Not sure

United States

#286 May 1, 2012
I heard some will be. Soled back to work. But the BS everyone is telling isn't true this company doesn't plan on spending much money in Kentucky! So if you want to work 5 or 6 months go back to work for them. I'm hearing everything is going to WVA! I hate to be the bird of bad news but it's the truth guys! I'm tired of everyone ben Bull Shated!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Simmons 164,753
Sasha 3 hr Let down 7
Jamie Williams cocaine and dealer 3 hr Ricky h 6
Howard and Hoskins 4 hr Just asking 1
Who did Brandon Fletcher rob this time 4 hr Just horsing around 57
Trump's Approval Rating Keeps Rising 4 hr Shirtless-Jerry 25
Shannon stidham beat down by mike hall 6 hr Shirtless-Jerry 5

Hazard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hazard Mortgages