happy in perry county

Hazard, KY

#1 Nov 10, 2009
Did anyone watch this on TV? Everyone needs to protest by not eating at Frances Diner.. I don't eat there regardless... gross!
Wondering

Clarkson, KY

#2 Nov 10, 2009
I missed this episode, does anyone know if it can be seen online. I hate it when they bash Eastern KY.
Whatever

Somerset, KY

#3 Nov 10, 2009
they took pics of the worst, abandoned, rundown places they could find! I wonder why they didn't take any pics of homes up on Hospital Hill?
next

Manchester, KY

#4 Nov 10, 2009
I hope this does not get blown over board and Darlene any bad critizism. She actually did a good job talking about living in Perry Co. and Hazard. Many are talking bad about the program only showing the abandoned buildings in Hazard. Well, it showed what was there. Maybe this will motivate those in charge or the property owners to improve or tear down those buildings.
Hopefully something positive will come from Hazard being described as the unhappiest city... we are very lucky to live in this beautful location and have such friendly people to visit and talk to daily.... We have been blessed living in coal country and too bad the media wants to portray us as uneducated rural hillbillies...We are better off than most of the country and probably one of the happiest cities in America....
Mountain Girl

Versailles, KY

#6 Nov 10, 2009
I saw only parts of the show. I hope everyone will go to wymt's web site and see for themselves what Darlene had to say about happyness. I for one am very proud of her and will eat at Frances again tonight. I am not a fan of Dr.OZ or his show and never will be. I myself am sick of the way the media bullies our small town.
With that said I do not see what she done so wrong.
Mommyof3

Manchester, KY

#7 Nov 10, 2009
That PLACE IS NASTY! My bf and our 3 kids go there and we everyone got sick!
question

London, KY

#9 Nov 11, 2009
does anyone have a link to watch this?
notstupid

United States

#10 Nov 11, 2009
I for one will never eat there again. She knew what they were doing. They had a film crew follow her around for a few days. I knew when I saw that they were going to make her look as stupid as she really is and it would reflect badly on all Eastern Ky. Come On People!!!!
a mom

London, KY

#11 Nov 11, 2009
Whatever wrote:
they took pics of the worst, abandoned, rundown places they could find! I wonder why they didn't take any pics of homes up on Hospital Hill?
Maybe because the homes on Hospital Hill aren't the norm around here. Why show off one of the only nice groups of houses when everything else is run down? That would be a misrepresentation. When I drive through Hazard, I don't see lots of $500,000 homes. I see many that wouldn't sell for more than $50,000 surrounded by burned out buildings and some that look like they could fall over. I'm not trying to bash Hazard, but I think it was a fair representation of what most of this town looks like.
SunnyDisposition

United States

#12 Nov 13, 2009
Before launching into an attack, identify what is causing your reaction. If the disagreement is with a label, seek first to know how it was determined. I missed any reference to or argument with the method used by Gallup-Healthways Well-Being for their index. That could be considered the source for strong feelings. What Dr. Oz program reports is like getting angry for what a newspaper reports. I myself am still trying to figure out how they came up with labels for MOST happy and unhappiest places to live. Trying to understand the method and criteria may be insightful. I'm not running to embrace the suggestion that living in Sunnyvale is what makes me happy. It may be possible to live here and still be unhappy, but the chances may be smaller due to opportunities. I agree with what the traveler of other countries touched on - Hazard and Sunnyvale are on the same side of many other factors to identify happiness. Reread our Declaration of Independence.
Olebill

Crossett, AR

#13 Nov 13, 2009
Whatever wrote:
Lol no matter where you are in perry county you wouldn't have to drive more than 5 minutes in any direction to see homes that look like a haunted house. Like it or not, houses like the ones shown may not necessarily be the norm but they are more the norm than the houses on hospital hill...

besides, come to think of it, i don't think i'd want most of the folks that live on hospital hill to be the representation of my county either.
Smith

London, KY

#16 Nov 22, 2012
Olebill wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol no matter where you are in perry county you wouldn't have to drive more than 5 minutes in any direction to see homes that look like a haunted house. Like it or not, houses like the ones shown may not necessarily be the norm but they are more the norm than the houses on hospital hill...
besides, come to think of it, i don't think i'd want most of the folks that live on hospital hill to be the representation of my county either.
Have you ever been to Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis or Los Angeles? You don't have to drive more than five miles in those cities to find ghetto slum apartments and rundown houses in dirty neighborhoods that are infested with heroin junkies, crack addicts and disease packing prostitutes jumping from corner to corner. In my former line of work, I've seen enough of the big cities to know that they aren't what they're cracked up (no pun intended) to be. And don't even get me started about the filth that I've seen in rural Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina. I almost puke just thinking about it. Oh, and why doesn't Dr. Oz do a show about all those RATS that were found in New York City restaurants in the last few years, since his show is supposedly taped there. There is supposedly millions more rats in New York City than PEOPLE. Judging by what I've seen there, I believe it.
Smith

London, KY

#17 Nov 22, 2012
There *are supposedly millions more rats in New York City than PEOPLE, rather.
Smith

London, KY

#18 Nov 22, 2012
And wasn't Dr. Oz the one who made claims about apple juice containing a lot of arsenic, among other things, which turned out to not be 100% true?
Whats This Story About

Gray, KY

#19 Mar 28, 2014
I don't understand this post. Was Frances' Diner featured on the Dr. Oz TV Show? I've eaten there many times when I lived in Hazard, years ago.

What's the story?
what was it about

United States

#20 Mar 28, 2014
Was francis's on there. If so what was it about
I Prefer Kentucky

London, KY

#21 Mar 28, 2014
Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been to Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis or Los Angeles? You don't have to drive more than five miles in those cities to find ghetto slum apartments and rundown houses in dirty neighborhoods that are infested with heroin junkies, crack addicts and disease packing prostitutes jumping from corner to corner. In my former line of work, I've seen enough of the big cities to know that they aren't what they're cracked up (no pun intended) to be. And don't even get me started about the filth that I've seen in rural Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina. I almost puke just thinking about it. Oh, and why doesn't Dr. Oz do a show about all those RATS that were found in New York City restaurants in the last few years, since his show is supposedly taped there. There is supposedly millions more rats in New York City than PEOPLE. Judging by what I've seen there, I believe it.
WELL SAID.... I have spent a lot of time in NYC. My maternal grandma was born and raised there. I have a lot of cousins there. They complain about that place every time that I talk to them. I have seen weird, nasty and / or unsightly things in NYC every day that I have been there. That place has so many homeless people, rats and roaches, it isn't even funny. The restaurants that I was in there didn't look very clean. The waitresses were rude to customers. I have been on the subways and in the taxi cabs there numerous times, and they were always FILTHY and smelling like urine and vomit. You can always see strange people wandering the streets, while crying, talking to themselves and / or angrily bumming other people for something there. Apartments I have seen in so-called nice neighborhoods there look like dirty jail cells compared to apartments I have seen here. I could go on, but you get the point. I don't think that anyone in NYC should judge any other city in this country after what I have witnessed there. I would rather live in any city in Kentucky than NYC, any day of the week, honey.
Was Dr Oz In Hazard

Gray, KY

#22 Mar 29, 2014
So, did Dr. Oz eat at Frances' Diner? I don't remember any of this? Frances' has great food! Love those banana peppers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is haven king backing tonya McQueen 37 min Preston 3
Hazard School Board 42 min crap 41
too many gay people (Aug '11) 48 min Preston 4
Becca moore w hore or s lut 1 hr Og Bobby Johnson 3
True love never dies 1 hr Marlboro Man 41
Males who are known for cheating. 1 hr Marlboro Man 8
haunted places in hazard? (Jul '10) 2 hr Belle 112
Impeach Matt Bevin 3 hr Ozzy 48

Hazard Jobs

Personal Finance