Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,065

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
bbb

London, KY

#86994 Sep 9, 2012
if you want ur children to learn the bible take them to church not school dont trust a teacher to teach religion do it at home or at church

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#86995 Sep 9, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Well stated and much better than I tried to get across... Passing a law to limit how the states how the states handle a religious issue is as Unconstitutional as passing a law forcing them to take a religious stand.. The verbiage is clear,"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" Make No Law, one way or the other...
If the state is getting Federal funds then they cannot promote religion. That's the gist of it. You want Jesus in class, go to a private school. No problem.

Like I said before, I'm ok with a Class that does something like comparative religion. I would love to see that in Elementary School, actually. But something like a Sunday School class in public school would violate the First Amendment.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#86996 Sep 9, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Your opinion, I would call it just being honest with myself, something you might try.
I cannot deny what I know!
I'd have to lie to myself...
God is real, and yer Grammy is real happy right now, and
Praying for you!
I will meet her, will you see her again?
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#86997 Sep 9, 2012
other wrote:
<quoted text>So correct , best president in my lifetime so far. All say what you may. In my book , he was able to get it all done. I may have been a little fond of him for alot. He had the nerve to do what needed to be done. On th issue of killing and hunting for food, been done for years and will not be a dying error, as long as we teach children to live off of the land and not off of the government...
Amen!
I don't remember anyone WANTING a job, not getting one...
Gas was cheap, and most of the cars too!
It'd be the worst thing to hire obama again...
Give the new guy a chance!:-)
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#86998 Sep 9, 2012
culture vulture wrote:
<quoted text>You are kidding, right? The national deficit went up 3 and 1/2 times under him,and he raised taxes 11 times! Here's a little something you might not have known; Ronald Reagan, the slayer of the 'Evil Empire' might have been ruined before his political career began had his attempt to join the American Communist Party succeeded. He was rejected because the Communists thought him 'too dim'. It emerged in a 1999 authorized biography that he had tried to join in 1938 when starting out as a 27-yr old actor in Hollywood. Some of his closest friends were members. One, Howard Fast, a scriptwriter, revealed that he had felt 'passionate' about it.'H e felt if it were right for them, it was right for him'. But the Party refused him.' They thought he was a feather brain....a flake who couldn't be trusted with a political opinion for more than 20 minutes.' As the anti- Communist purges and black-listing in Hollywood in the '40's and '50's destroyed many careers, Reagan's flourished as an actor, then as President of the screen-actors Guild, the actors union. Most importantly, his political credentials remained all-American. Ironic, too, since many people considered him a Union- Buster after the air-traffic controller union affair. Though I voted for him the first time, I went the other way when he was up for re-election. For me, he became a real lesson in hypocrisy. And if you think the Romney-Ryan ticket will be any different than George W. and company, I wish you luck with that.
Thank God he turned around! It aint what you did yesterday, but WHO you are today! He was dead on in the controller strike, and had the guts to follow the law! Unions WERE good for what they started, but now they need to go away... Those flagmen on the highway getting $28-30 an hour.... I know many would do it for less than half that, and after dues... they don't get that much!
Anyway... Romney wont be any worse that what we had!
Of course... I believe we only have a few short years left, and it don't really matter who's in office... it's ALL gonna end!

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#86999 Sep 9, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway... Romney wont be any worse that what we had!
Someday you will rue those words.
Remember I said that....
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> Of course... I believe we only have a few short years left, and it don't really matter who's in office... it's ALL gonna end!
True. One day in the not too distance future, you will die.
The "world" will "end" for you.
But the rest of humanity won't be going with you.
Isn't going to happen.
What an ego you have.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#87000 Sep 9, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If the state is getting Federal funds then they cannot promote religion. That's the gist of it. You want Jesus in class, go to a private school. No problem.
Like I said before, I'm ok with a Class that does something like comparative religion. I would love to see that in Elementary School, actually. But something like a Sunday School class in public school would violate the First Amendment.
You miss my position... I think it is an Absolute Idiotic idea to have religion within a class room... That's why there are religious schools, churches, Sunday school and a plethora of other places where one can go for such teachings...

I'm just pointing to the Constitution as being the wrong place to look for a legal avenue to use to pass laws concerning it... As it does not include language that allows such...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#87001 Sep 10, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever you want to believe!
Even the Democrats think that was a good time in our history...
I guess you liberals are too much about putting round pegs in square holes to think about anything else!
Good day!
Whether you want to believe or not is irrelevant to history. Your proclivity to faith over fact has already been amply demonstrated.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#87002 Sep 10, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Someday you will rue those words.
Remember I said that....
<quoted text>
True. One day in the not too distance future, you will die.
The "world" will "end" for you.
But the rest of humanity won't be going with you.
Isn't going to happen.
What an ego you have.
Ego? No!
Wisdom!
It only took me 50 years to get wisdom, and
at 65... you still lack it!
God is real!
John
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
It's so simple...
God proved Himself to me, and you're the one with the ego problem!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#87003 Sep 10, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just asking, if it's bad for government to support your religion, why isn't it just as bad for government to support your concert hall, museum or art school?
We reject radical secular extremist arguments. Our Constitution was written to protect our religions from the government, not vice versa.
Concert halls, art schools and museums might at times present various theologies, theories and perspectives, but they are apples and oranges to organized religion and churches.
There are those who believe that archaeology, paleontology and geology are "radical secular extremist arguments" when they disprove the young Earth and the great flood. Should the government then ban all prehistoric research to protect the loonies?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#87004 Sep 10, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Ego? No!
Wisdom!
It only took me 50 years to get wisdom, and
at 65... you still lack it!
God is real!
John
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
It's so simple...
God proved Himself to me, and you're the one with the ego problem!
"Simple" is the right word.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#87005 Sep 10, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>You miss my position... I think it is an Absolute Idiotic idea to have religion within a class room... That's why there are religious schools, churches, Sunday school and a plethora of other places where one can go for such teachings...

I'm just pointing to the Constitution as being the wrong place to look for a legal avenue to use to pass laws concerning it... As it does not include language that allows such...
It doesn't allow for passing laws respecting a religion. I think the biggest problem is in the next line about not limiting free exercise. Some want to interpret that much more broadly, as if leading a public school class in prayers to Jesus is "free exercise". I think it is more about the rights of individuals to practice freely, not churches to proselytize in schools.

Separation, strictly so, is how you prevent it.

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#87006 Sep 10, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> so glad to see your wonderful comment, typical of yours - and rather glad that some idiot makes a comment that provokes your reply! have missed you!
Thankye! I still lurk around a bit, reading some of the boards! It is funny to see that as soon as one fundie learns they are outgunned and out thought, that another one comes in spouting the SAME rhetoric we have already thoroughly shown to be false.

Location hidden

#87007 Sep 10, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Finally, there is scientifically backed research to show what mainstream Americans have always known:
Homosexual-parenting is bad for children.
Mark Regnerus, a researcher at the University of Texas, just published his exhaustive findings, proving children raised by one or more homosexual parents were undeniably harmed by it.
This historic study finally debunks the Homosexual Lobby's myth that children raised in homosexual households turn out exactly the same as those raised in a stable home with a mother and a father.
When compared to children raised by a traditional family, the children of homosexual parents are 3 or even 4 times more likely to indulge in self-destructive habits.
They are also 3 to 4 times more likely to indulge in homosexual activities than kids with a mother and a father in the home.
And maybe the most horrifying revelation, the rate of sexual abuse among these children from parental figures was staggeringly higher...
Not surprisingly, the establishment’s very first reaction was to smear Mr. Regnerus’reputation and attempt to drive him out of academia.
His own university -- acting in support of the Homosexual Agenda -- immediately opened investigations into his research methods, claiming that the results must have been altered.
However, once officials familiarized themselves with his work, they were forced to unequivocally admit that the research was one-hundred percent sound.
Of course even after their endorsement, the pro-homosexual establishment is still insisting that it’s all “lies” and “hate.”
But you and I know better.
Public Advocate has fought for more than 30 years against homosexual adoption.
You didn't just quote the study that has already been sooooo criticized for unsound methodology and flaws that it has been all but discarded and repudiated...

Yep, you did. Even the journal has pulled it for not being adequately reviewed. But of course, none of that would matter to you, as you don't care about the truth - only your meth dreams. The Regnerus study itself acknowledges that what is really being compared with heterosexual families are not families headed by same-sex couples, but households in which parents broke up. This has long been established as a risk factor for poor outcomes in children.

Answer this. How many of the families studied were the children raised by a same sex couple through adoption?(got a hint for ya - about a handful). There is a ton of information as to why the study is flawed if you had any desire to know the truth - but we know you don't.

It is highly ironic that you actually quote a discredited study, yet thumb your nose at actual science.

"The study has also been deemed scientifically invalid by the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Psychoanalytic Association among others."

Try again.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#87008 Sep 10, 2012
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't just quote the study that has already been sooooo criticized for unsound methodology and flaws that it has been all but discarded and repudiated...
Yep, you did. Even the journal has pulled it for not being adequately reviewed. But of course, none of that would matter to you, as you don't care about the truth - only your meth dreams. The Regnerus study itself acknowledges that what is really being compared with heterosexual families are not families headed by same-sex couples, but households in which parents broke up. This has long been established as a risk factor for poor outcomes in children.
Answer this. How many of the families studied were the children raised by a same sex couple through adoption?(got a hint for ya - about a handful). There is a ton of information as to why the study is flawed if you had any desire to know the truth - but we know you don't.
It is highly ironic that you actually quote a discredited study, yet thumb your nose at actual science.
"The study has also been deemed scientifically invalid by the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Psychoanalytic Association among others."
Try again.
Actually, I think quoted it from
http://wpww.net/index.php/page/7/

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#87009 Sep 10, 2012
Another moment of Zen by Q.....

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/7...
think

United States

#87010 Sep 11, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Finally, there is scientifically backed research to show what mainstream Americans have always known:
Homosexual-parenting is bad for children.
Mark Regnerus, a researcher at the University of Texas, just published his exhaustive findings, proving children raised by one or more homosexual parents were undeniably harmed by it.
This historic study finally debunks the Homosexual Lobby's myth that children raised in homosexual households turn out exactly the same as those raised in a stable home with a mother and a father.
When compared to children raised by a traditional family, the children of homosexual parents are 3 or even 4 times more likely to indulge in self-destructive habits.
They are also 3 to 4 times more likely to indulge in homosexual activities than kids with a mother and a father in the home.
And maybe the most horrifying revelation, the rate of sexual abuse among these children from parental figures was staggeringly higher...
Not surprisingly, the establishment’s very first reaction was to smear Mr. Regnerus’reputation and attempt to drive him out of academia.
His own university -- acting in support of the Homosexual Agenda -- immediately opened investigations into his research methods, claiming that the results must have been altered.
However, once officials familiarized themselves with his work, they were forced to unequivocally admit that the research was one-hundred percent sound.
Of course even after their endorsement, the pro-homosexual establishment is still insisting that it’s all “lies” and “hate.”
But you and I know better.
Public Advocate has fought for more than 30 years against homosexual adoption.
It's a shame that we need studies and statistics to prove what should be understood, more or less, instinctively.
I firmly believe that the strength of the gay marriage movement lies in the apathy of the general public. They may very well win on this issue just because no one cares enough to think it through.
As far as stats on boys from single mother homes well, just check with sources related to crime and prison populations.
None of these facts will be any surprise to those that have not had their thinking polluted by political correctness or perversion.

Location hidden

#87011 Sep 11, 2012
think wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame that we need studies and statistics to prove what should be understood, more or less, instinctively.
I firmly believe that the strength of the gay marriage movement lies in the apathy of the general public. They may very well win on this issue just because no one cares enough to think it through.
As far as stats on boys from single mother homes well, just check with sources related to crime and prison populations.
None of these facts will be any surprise to those that have not had their thinking polluted by political correctness or perversion.
ROFL. You do know that every professional association shows that the study is extremely flawed, right?

What is sad is that even with no evidence and actual studies and statistics to the contrary, you cling to a mythology of prejudice and illusion. Then when a discredited study confirms your delusion, you cling to it despite its flaws - much like you cling to those ingrained religious prejudices.

What is even sadder is that you would try to force YOUR belief system to be the rule of law for everyone else - equality be damned.
yeah

United States

#87012 Sep 11, 2012
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL. You do know that every professional association shows that the study is extremely flawed, right?
What is sad is that even with no evidence and actual studies and statistics to the contrary, you cling to a mythology of prejudice and illusion. Then when a discredited study confirms your delusion, you cling to it despite its flaws - much like you cling to those ingrained religious prejudices.
What is even sadder is that you would try to force YOUR belief system to be the rule of law for everyone else - equality be damned.
Equality is for the equal.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#87013 Sep 11, 2012
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Equality is for the equal.
You mean that some are more equal than others?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blairs are BULLDOGS 1 hr Factz 8
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 1 hr DANGEROUS CURVE A... 5,309
Hazard VFW 2 hr Cosmo 8
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Ari son of Anarchy 153,924
hurt women who hurt the real maan 2 hr lost my luv 1
Black gold hits a new low 2 hr haha 3
tierd 2 hr lost my luv 1
Perry Circuit Judge Election 3 hr Fact finder 58
Black Gold Festival 2014 9 hr Loaderman 35
•••
•••
Hazard Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hazard Jobs