Alpha Natural Resources to reduce coa...

Alpha Natural Resources to reduce coal production

Posted in the Hazard Forum

bono

London, KY

#1 Feb 4, 2012
BRISTOL, Va.(AP)- Coal company Alpha Natural Resources says
that production will be reduced at some of its operations in
central Appalachia due to decreased demand.
The Bristol, Va.-based company said Friday that 10 mining
operations - four in eastern Kentucky and six in southern West
Virginia - are affected by the changes.
Alpha says subsidiaries in Kentucky and West Virginia will idle
four mines immediately and two others between now and early 2013.
Several other mines will alter work schedules or reduce production
crews.
In eastern Kentucky, the Cave Spur and Perkins Branch underground mines are idled immediately. Both are in Harlan County. The Coalgood surface mine in Harlan County will be phased out by the middle of this year, and the Big Branch West surface mine in Knott County will close in early 2013.
When completed, the company says the adjustments are expected to
reduce annual coal production by approximately 4 million tons.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc. has more than 180 mines and
processing plants in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West
Virginia and Wyoming. It employs about 14,000 people through its
affiliates.

yall gonna blame that on obama too?
hnbird

London, KY

#2 Feb 5, 2012
bono wrote:
BRISTOL, Va.(AP)- Coal company Alpha Natural Resources says
that production will be reduced at some of its operations in
central Appalachia due to decreased demand.
The Bristol, Va.-based company said Friday that 10 mining
operations - four in eastern Kentucky and six in southern West
Virginia - are affected by the changes.
Alpha says subsidiaries in Kentucky and West Virginia will idle
four mines immediately and two others between now and early 2013.
Several other mines will alter work schedules or reduce production
crews.
In eastern Kentucky, the Cave Spur and Perkins Branch underground mines are idled immediately. Both are in Harlan County. The Coalgood surface mine in Harlan County will be phased out by the middle of this year, and the Big Branch West surface mine in Knott County will close in early 2013.
When completed, the company says the adjustments are expected to
reduce annual coal production by approximately 4 million tons.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc. has more than 180 mines and
processing plants in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West
Virginia and Wyoming. It employs about 14,000 people through its
affiliates.
yall gonna blame that on obama too?
OK, i will yes, sure with power plants switching from coal / because of clean air requirements ,cost of scrubbers costs.
i am for natural gas
bono

London, KY

#3 Feb 5, 2012
is Obama responsible for the price of natural gas falling to its lowest price in 10 years? is Obama responsible for Natural gas reaching is highest production since, well ever?

it's simple economics...
Tonto

Mount Vernon, KY

#4 Feb 5, 2012
Obama is responsible for........suckness.
coal miner

London, KY

#5 Feb 6, 2012
well i just tell u thanks to oboma here i am with a 3 year old baby to raise living in a state that he dont give a damn about and about 10,000 dollars in debt about to lose my home and everything because of oboma i hope and pray to the lord that he does not get back in the office he needs to come to kentucky and live in hazard and work 2 months in a restraunt and 2 months underground and see the different i see the point about cclean air but for people that works in the coal mines thats there way of life most men in the mines is in there for their childern and had kids when they was 18 and didnt have a chance to go on to school now what are those men gonna do let their families starve for 4 or 5 years while they go to school oboma dont care about americans or the future of americn kids especially in kentucky dont have anything for him but like i said i sure hope he dont get back in office hes a backstabber
Nixon

Virgie, KY

#6 Feb 6, 2012
coal miner wrote:
well i just tell u thanks to oboma here i am with a 3 year old baby to raise living in a state that he dont give a damn about and about 10,000 dollars in debt about to lose my home and everything because of oboma i hope and pray to the lord that he does not get back in the office he needs to come to kentucky and live in hazard and work 2 months in a restraunt and 2 months underground and see the different i see the point about cclean air but for people that works in the coal mines thats there way of life most men in the mines is in there for their childern and had kids when they was 18 and didnt have a chance to go on to school now what are those men gonna do let their families starve for 4 or 5 years while they go to school oboma dont care about americans or the future of americn kids especially in kentucky dont have anything for him but like i said i sure hope he dont get back in office hes a backstabber
It doesn't matter who the president is that is in office, if the demand for coal isn't there, layoffs occur. I have seen layoffs when Republicans held office. The coal industry has always been known for it's boom and busts. One of the sad things about a layoff is many of the men left will work every hour of overtime they can get, never thinking of the men that got laid off. All that overtime they are getting only keeps the laid off men from getting called back. Wishing you the best of luck.
engineer

United States

#7 Feb 6, 2012
Both of you made two mistakes in life, first one was being a coal miner, second one was being a SCAB. Don't blame Obama for your ignorance...
lol

London, KY

#8 Feb 6, 2012
coal miner wrote:
well i just tell u thanks to oboma here i am with a 3 year old baby to raise living in a state that he dont give a damn about and about 10,000 dollars in debt about to lose my home and everything because of oboma i hope and pray to the lord that he does not get back in the office he needs to come to kentucky and live in hazard and work 2 months in a restraunt and 2 months underground and see the different i see the point about cclean air but for people that works in the coal mines thats there way of life most men in the mines is in there for their childern and had kids when they was 18 and didnt have a chance to go on to school now what are those men gonna do let their families starve for 4 or 5 years while they go to school oboma dont care about americans or the future of americn kids especially in kentucky dont have anything for him but like i said i sure hope he dont get back in office hes a backstabber
how is any of that obama's fault?

minebinder

London, KY

#9 Feb 6, 2012
coal miner wrote:
well i just tell u thanks to oboma here i am with a 3 year old baby to raise living in a state that he dont give a damn about and about 10,000 dollars in debt about to lose my home and everything because of oboma i hope and pray to the lord that he does not get back in the office he needs to come to kentucky and live in hazard and work 2 months in a restraunt and 2 months underground and see the different i see the point about cclean air but for people that works in the coal mines thats there way of life most men in the mines is in there for their childern and had kids when they was 18 and didnt have a chance to go on to school now what are those men gonna do let their families starve for 4 or 5 years while they go to school oboma dont care about americans or the future of americn kids especially in kentucky dont have anything for him but like i said i sure hope he dont get back in office hes a backstabber
Lets see OBAMA going out and somebody that can try to run this country like a business
minebinder

London, KY

#10 Feb 6, 2012
engineer wrote:
Both of you made two mistakes in life, first one was being a coal miner, second one was being a SCAB. Don't blame Obama for your ignorance...
Engineer of the asz hole put your obama sticker on your car and proudly drive in hazard,ky.
big mouth little brain

Roy, WA

#11 Feb 7, 2012
minebinder wrote:
<quoted text>
Engineer of the asz hole put your obama sticker on your car and proudly drive in hazard,ky.
Do you mean on the car his mommie paid for? LMAO HAHAHAHAHahahahahaaaa
lol

London, KY

#12 Feb 7, 2012
big mouth little brain wrote:
<quoted text> Do you mean on the car his mommie paid for? LMAO HAHAHAHAHahahahahaaaa
wow! good job with that joke!

you're very clever, your state appointed mentor must be very proud of you!
get a life

Chesterfield, MO

#13 Feb 7, 2012
Obama wants the coal business gone!..that's a fact!..but..we haven't had a winter and coal is not selling and because the coal can only have some much sulfure...that's what epa has created..and mountain top removel has always been a issue for people, and i guess obama has does something about it!...don't pretend obama doesn't have something to do with this, because he does, it doesn't matter what your job is..factory..construction...tr uck driver or miner of any kind, it's a job!...so if your saying coal miners are stupid for working underground, then your making fun of all these other people that try to get out and make a living..not everybody has a chance or the want for college, if it wasn't for most of these simple people, half of your shit wouldn't be made!...these coalminers have families like you!...not all miners are uneducated people, it's good money...and as long as these people are working and not living off the government,so why don't you leave these people alone!
Sparkman

Bolivar, MO

#14 Feb 7, 2012
coal miner wrote:
10,000 dollars in debt about to lose my home and everything......i hope and pray to the lord that he does not get back in the office
How about praying you get saved? God didn't tell you to borrow that money in the first place!
haven help us

Bolivar, MO

#15 Feb 7, 2012
engineer wrote:
Both of you made two mistakes in life, first one was being a coal miner
maybe that guy we pay to advertise coal will hold another rally in knott county? guess we lost another war...
minebinder

London, KY

#16 Feb 8, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
wow! good job with that joke!
you're very clever, your state appointed mentor must be very proud of you!
why mine took me out for ice creme and cake because i did my on my own ! dq my favorite
well

Viper, KY

#17 Feb 8, 2012
OBAMA is the fault of the coal mines goin down to nothing/he is against coal and he couldnt get it passed any other way so he went thru the EPA and got his way..well I for one hope and pray he does NOT WIN!!
lol

London, KY

#18 Feb 8, 2012
well wrote:
OBAMA is the fault of the coal mines goin down to nothing/he is against coal and he couldnt get it passed any other way so he went thru the EPA and got his way..well I for one hope and pray he does NOT WIN!!
yea its obama... not the unusually warm winter we are having this year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Strel 163,203
Scotts Tax 10 min Jackass party rules 99
It's a Shame 50 min blue 21
I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger.. 1 hr Beautiful 11
George Hurt 1 hr Bad Apple 6
It's like you never happened 1 hr Mike 16
Pearl combs 1 hr Pay off 7
MISSING: Maudie Smith 2/22/2017 12 hr Misty 133

Hazard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hazard Mortgages