Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,704

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72761 Oct 18, 2012
Ooo, Chilly! Did you all hear that rain last night?? Nice.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72762 Oct 18, 2012
Weird, I posted about an hour ago but it's gone, and there are no missing post,, nothing removed by the mod,,, Aliens?
Raven

Evansdale, IA

#72766 Oct 18, 2012
As citizens we never know what the military does until it's too late like in 2009 for example. A farmer lost over 6,000 sheep because a nerve agent dispersed or wafted right over his flock in Utah. What about the citizens? Not to mention the anthrax type of bacteria that was used in Oahu,Hawaii. How many chemicals are being released and will it effect us and our wild life? The damage is often done before we discover the truth. Where is Democracy or was it ever really there? You know, fear that was the main feeling feeling that the Native American felt when peace was lost after this continent became settled by Europeans. Human destroying human and how purposeful is that?
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72771 Oct 18, 2012
Good morning to my topix friends, hope you slept as well as I did with the storms last night. Loved it. Winds got strong for a while and I was hoping we wouldn't have to take cover. We were lucky considering close by Ark/Ala had tornados and left thousands without power. Beautiful cool morning though. Birds enjoying all the muffins, bread, bagels and biscuits I tossed out on the hillside from the last couple days. This morning it almost felt like spring listening to them sing when I woke up. If only....lol

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#72775 Oct 18, 2012
I slept like a rock! It must have drifted into my dreams though because I dreamt of a flood.

The birds are really singing outside today though. Hope it's a pretty day, I want to take the Harley out for a long ride. Probably hit Cumberland Falls and keep heading south for a couple of hours or so. My old bones needed that good night of rest! I feel like a million bucks today!

Hope everyone else is having a great one too! Any more earthquakes happen overnight? I've not touched the t.v. remote and don't intend to, hehe.

#72776 Oct 18, 2012
Judas Wife wrote:
<quoted text>Peppermint candy completely took my nausea away when I was pregnant. My good man brought a bag to me while I was at work while pregnant never got sick the next morning. Mint tea also helps. Really like all you have to say. Thanks;)
Hi, JW! Yes, peppermint is awesome for an upset stomach, even heartburn. Sounds like you got a good man there!! When I was a kid though, we didn't usually keep candy in the house. So what was in the kitchen usually had to do. The baking soda helped ease the gassiness and stomach upset while the Karo put some sugar back into you and the water helped rehydrate if you'd been vomiting.
(I was a very sick child, and OH MY LORD some of the nasty tasting prescriptions I had to take, hehe! There were no "bubble gum" flavors to add to elixirs back then, ROFLMBO!! So that Karo syrup thing was a nice option, lesser of the evils, lol)

I like mint tea also! Speaking of teas, have to tried the Green Tea with Pomegranate form Bigelow? It's really good and has a natural sweetness so you don't have to add anything else to it. I also like chamomile tea at night before bed..

Have a great day, hope to see everyone here later tonight. I might head out now and see what the day holds for me on the highway! Gonna take the camera. The trees should be extremely beautiful after the rain last night!!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72777 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I slept like a rock! It must have drifted into my dreams though because I dreamt of a flood.
The birds are really singing outside today though. Hope it's a pretty day, I want to take the Harley out for a long ride. Probably hit Cumberland Falls and keep heading south for a couple of hours or so. My old bones needed that good night of rest! I feel like a million bucks today!
Hope everyone else is having a great one too! Any more earthquakes happen overnight? I've not touched the t.v. remote and don't intend to, hehe.
Hi "Nope", Sounds like you have an awesome day planned. Cumberland Falls is so beautiful. I use to have relative living there and loved going there in the summer to fish, go boating, swimming, picnicing etc...I bet you will see some beautiful colorful trees there. I have to work this afternoon so I will have to watch the day through a window, ugh. Oh well, I have enjoyed the last few days outdoors. Wish I could of ridden. My Willie G leather is not getting much use these days.

Earthquake report:

Nebraska had a 3.6 mag. and there were earthquakes in Utah, Montana, Hawaii, Alaska, and California.

Indonesia 5.4 mag, Greenland 4.6, Chile 4.6 mag, Portugal 4.6 mag, Phillipines 4.6 mag, Tonga 4.6 mag, Russia 4.3 mag, along with Italy, Turkey, Greece, and Boliva.

I hope you have a great ride and enjoy the day. I might check in later tonight, late.
Prioritizing Judas

Evansdale, IA

#72781 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, JW! Yes, peppermint is awesome for an upset stomach, even heartburn. Sounds like you got a good man there!! When I was a kid though, we didn't usually keep candy in the house. So what was in the kitchen usually had to do. The baking soda helped ease the gassiness and stomach upset while the Karo put some sugar back into you and the water helped rehydrate if you'd been vomiting.
(I was a very sick child, and OH MY LORD some of the nasty tasting prescriptions I had to take, hehe! There were no "bubble gum" flavors to add to elixirs back then, ROFLMBO!! So that Karo syrup thing was a nice option, lesser of the evils, lol)
I like mint tea also! Speaking of teas, have to tried the Green Tea with Pomegranate form Bigelow? It's really good and has a natural sweetness so you don't have to add anything else to it. I also like chamomile tea at night before bed..
Have a great day, hope to see everyone here later tonight. I might head out now and see what the day holds for me on the highway! Gonna take the camera. The trees should be extremely beautiful after the rain last night!!
I absolutely love the mint and jasmine by Bigelow. Haven't been able to find any though. Wish I could grow my own. Will have to try the green tea & pomegranate though;) green tea & jasmine tasty as well...
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72783 Oct 18, 2012
Lazy fall day here at the homestead watching the birds, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, and some deer earlier this morning.
Prioritizing Judas

Evansdale, IA

#72784 Oct 18, 2012
Mr. Wolf I have a Wolfie who would like to have a domesticated rabbit? Do you sell your critters? Thank you kindly;)
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72785 Oct 18, 2012
Prioritizing Judas wrote:
Mr. Wolf I have a Wolfie who would like to have a domesticated rabbit? Do you sell your critters? Thank you kindly;)
No, I have none to sell. Except for my chickens, I was speaking about wild game. This place is loaded with wild rabbits. It is not unusual for me to see 8 to 10 a day here.
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72787 Oct 18, 2012
For those who try to stay away from refined sugar, an excellent source of sweetener is light or amber agave nectar. I prefer the lighter nectar of course. When my sister was a young girl, she used lemon juice as a naturally lighten her hair. Several washes and boom. Natural highlights...Crazy, things we remember from childhood. Picking fresh raspberries and putting them in milk and sugar. Fresh,flavored drink. You can get fined for picking plants on public land, but I never heard of that way back in the good Ol days...

#72788 Oct 18, 2012
I prefer the dark agave nectar. It's so good in iced tea when I feel like having sweetened. I've also put it in my coffee in a pinch and was shocked at the good taste!

When I was in my teens I used to put lemon juice in my hair too, being a natural blonde. I really should start doing it again now that this nasty gray is starting to creep in. I imagine it would take some of the drabness out and liven up my highlights again...

I'm craving some fresh berries now though, lol. Great post!
:)

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72792 Oct 18, 2012
Is still watching the birds. Don't know if these birds are living here year round or not.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72801 Oct 18, 2012
I can remember lots of things from childhood. Snow cream for one that we dare not eat anymore. It was made with fresh snow and Watkin's vanilla extract. An old peddler would come by selling Watkin's products which included the vanilla and liniment. He sold lots of other stuff including needles and thread. He also sold Knapp shoes which were comfortable work brograns.

Then there was "Hadacol" that predated Geritol that the old folks took as a "pick me up". It was discontinued after they found out it contained 98% booze. No wonder it made them feel better. LOL

Before there was instant coffee, there was "Postum" which was just a warm drink similar to coffee.

Girls made hair curlers out of pieces of tin cans rolled in rags. They rubbed the red juice from overripe "poke" plants on their lips as lipstick.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#72802 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I prefer the dark agave nectar. It's so good in iced tea when I feel like having sweetened. I've also put it in my coffee in a pinch and was shocked at the good taste!
When I was in my teens I used to put lemon juice in my hair too, being a natural blonde. I really should start doing it again now that this nasty gray is starting to creep in. I imagine it would take some of the drabness out and liven up my highlights again...
I'm craving some fresh berries now though, lol. Great post!
:)
I never heard of agave. Where can I purchase it? Health food store??

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#72803 Oct 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I can remember lots of things from childhood. Snow cream for one that we dare not eat anymore. It was made with fresh snow and Watkin's vanilla extract. An old peddler would come by selling Watkin's products which included the vanilla and liniment. He sold lots of other stuff including needles and thread. He also sold Knapp shoes which were comfortable work brograns.
Then there was "Hadacol" that predated Geritol that the old folks took as a "pick me up". It was discontinued after they found out it contained 98% booze. No wonder it made them feel better. LOL
Before there was instant coffee, there was "Postum" which was just a warm drink similar to coffee.
Girls made hair curlers out of pieces of tin cans rolled in rags. They rubbed the red juice from overripe "poke" plants on their lips as lipstick.
Wow! That takes me down to memory lane. I remembered all except the "poke" plants. Are they plants indigenous to this region. I am not sure what they are. I do have weeds that I pull (for therapy), Some of these plants have very bright magenta coloring, which stains clothes and hands if you get into them.(I found out the hard way). Are these the plants that you are referring to?
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72804 Oct 18, 2012
@ Oglala believe it or not , if you have a Wal-mart that's were you'll find agave( light, med., dark). Should be with sugar, confectioner's sugar, baking goods. Sorry for butting in.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72805 Oct 18, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! That takes me down to memory lane. I remembered all except the "poke" plants. Are they plants indigenous to this region. I am not sure what they are. I do have weeds that I pull (for therapy), Some of these plants have very bright magenta coloring, which stains clothes and hands if you get into them.(I found out the hard way). Are these the plants that you are referring to?
Fresh growth young poke was picked and cooked as greens and generally mixed with mustard, kale, or dandelion greens. Remember the song "Poke Salat Annie" ?

It generally grows in fence rows and such. Yes it is indigenous to Kentucky. The overripe poke has red berries that will stain everything. The girls were just careful to use the berries on the lips, usually jabbing the berries with a willow switch and rubbing the berry on their lips. Birds eat the berries and make a mess.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72807 Oct 18, 2012
Elvis called it "polk salad" but around here, we always called it "poke salat".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
need a friend 4 min ozone 22
Drop a word and add a word (Dec '12) 4 min SWAMP WITCH 1,270
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min ChromiuMan 131,485
People stealing on viper 21 min Gee 16
Looking for Dan Brashere.... 45 min Frymee 10
Looking for some Soul Food 1 hr jamiroqui 20
bens quick stop shut down 4 hr concerned citizen 7
dr ace chaney (Sep '13) 16 hr Melinda 159
Hazard Dating
Find my Match

Hazard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hazard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hazard

Personal Finance