First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Proudtobe

Lexington, KY

#1 Jul 12, 2011
It has been a long time since I moved away from Hazard, Ky. Like many of you who may be reading this, I have heard my share of the negative steryotypes about people from Southeastern, KY. Well, I am posting this today to say this: I am proud to be from Hazard,KY and Southeastern,KY in general. I am so proud of my family, friends and nieghbors that I grew up with.Most are good hard working and God fearing people that are no strangers to hard times and adversity. They know how to problem solve and make due with what they have. They care about each other and their friends and nieghbors. Family ties run deep. People there still know what it is like to respect the elderly and genuinely care about their community. The late mayor Bill Gorman in my oppinion was a good man. Folks can say what they want. They have the right to. Regardless though, you have to be proud of a mayor that would fight tooth and nail for the people of Hazard and the surrounding area. He would not hesitate to blast any outsider that made fun of us folks. Where else can you step outside your door and see the beautiful hills and valleys that surely had to be touched by the hand of God himself. There were many days that I sat in a cool hollow just letting the summer days go by. I truly long for those days on the river bank when I am working until late in the evening trying to make a work deadline. Winters can be hard there, but the beauty is without parallell. What a magnificent site it is to see a rabbit run through the snow, or, watch a stream run through snow covered rocks and trees. I will never forget the times spent going to church there either. Some of the best preachers in my oppinion still come out of this area. Sure, there are hard times in Southeastern, KY. Unemployment has always been a problem. However, everyone should give thanks to the community leaders,buisness owners and all other civic minded people that have worked hard to develop the area. In particular Hazard, KY. I could go on and on about the progress made in the last twenty years thers. I am so proud to be from Hazard and Southeastern,KY. You can find negative things and places in any town. Poverty and ignorance knows no boundaries. To anyone that reads thi;I hope you know how blessed you are to be from Southeastern, KY. Be proud of who you are. If you ever leave, do not be ashamed of your roots. Your roots are what define you. Keep those wonderful values that you grew up with.
Really

London, KY

#2 Jul 12, 2011
I have to agree with you. Hazard was a great place to be raised. In my many ventures out in this world, I always missed the little things Hazard had to offer. I remember the streets of Hazard when I was just a little girl. Back then, main street was where everything was at. Around Christmas, I can remember all of the beautiful decorations hung on the city streets, not like it is now, I mean real Christmas decorations. It was a beautiful site. Of course back then, there was no bypass, no Walmart, everything we needed was on Main street. I would give anything if my kids could have experienced Hazard back then.

Things have changed so much though. There is no more pride in where we live. There are no more values taught to our children and unfortunately, drugs have taken over the most part of our great little city. Although progress is good, it does come with a price.
jinga

United States

#3 Jan 14, 2012
I live in another state but was born and raised in hazard....
Whenever I visit hazard I always feel that I'm home again.....love the mountains,music,people and culture.
Was raised on side of mountain and loved it! My grandmother was right about mountain folk.
..
good people
joe page

Glasgow, KY

#4 May 29, 2012
i live 4 and a half hours away form hazard cause i live in metcalfe county also called edmonton ky i have been to hazard one time i like it so much that some day move there cause here in edmonton people like talk about say stuff that anit true i can get along with some people but i like hazard alot more then
Duke

Sheridan, AR

#5 May 30, 2012
Beautifl statement about our eastern ky and Perry county. Most of us don't appreciate our very beautiful mountains and friendly people. Thanks Proudtobe for reminding us how blessed we are to be living here and for people like mayor Gorman that defended our region until he died.
Goober

Sheridan, AR

#6 May 30, 2012
Finally a breath of fresh air on topix
something positive about our county and people.
Thanks proudtobe ,maybe others will understand we are lucky to be living in God's beautiful country!
Back then

Jefferson, GA

#7 May 30, 2012
I'm from Hazard but I haven't lived there in many years. I don't see the same things you all see when visiting. The mountains have been flattened by the coal industry. The streams are poluted. A great portion of the people are walking around pilled out of their heads and looking for something to steal. Unemployment is very high and welfare fraud is rampant. There is no pride for the community and very little morales if any. No I'm sorry I don't see the beauty anymore.
Aguy

Tuscaloosa, AL

#8 May 30, 2012
Back then wrote:
I'm from Hazard but I haven't lived there in many years. I don't see the same things you all see when visiting. The mountains have been flattened by the coal industry. The streams are poluted. A great portion of the people are walking around pilled out of their heads and looking for something to steal. Unemployment is very high and welfare fraud is rampant. There is no pride for the community and very little morales if any. No I'm sorry I don't see the beauty anymore.
Well someone had to say it. I don't know what place all these other people are talkin about but it sure as hell isn't hazard. Maybe if they took off those rose colored goggles and looked at the world around them they would see what this place really is. Tell ya what, go to wal mart on Friday and let's hear ya talk about how wonderful and hardworking hazard folk are. And if you still think hazard folk are so great head over to ace's pain clinic and have a chat with all those fine upstanding citizens, then come back here and talk about how great hazard Is.
Back then

Jefferson, GA

#9 May 30, 2012
Aguy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well someone had to say it. I don't know what place all these other people are talkin about but it sure as hell isn't hazard. Maybe if they took off those rose colored goggles and looked at the world around them they would see what this place really is. Tell ya what, go to wal mart on Friday and let's hear ya talk about how wonderful and hardworking hazard folk are. And if you still think hazard folk are so great head over to ace's pain clinic and have a chat with all those fine upstanding citizens, then come back here and talk about how great hazard Is.
Thanks for agreeing with me. I thought I had been visiting the wrong Hazard, Ky. But I'm like you these people have on rose colored glasses.

“Beautiful Days..Beautiful Life”

Since: Jan 11

Indianapolis / Hazard

#10 May 30, 2012
I don't think anyone is looking thru rose colored glasses. I think we choose to see all the good & not the bad. The mountains are gorgeous....the ppl are friendly & welcoming....the city is growing by leaps & bounds....the pace of life is slow & easy...not rush rush rush like the big cities. Sure there are alot of problems but no more than anywhere else. We came back to Hazard after 12 yrs away & are happier than we were in 12 yrs we were gone. I love this place & love the feeling I get when out & about & seeing the beauty of the mnts & kindness & friendly nature of the ppl who live here.
Back then

Jefferson, GA

#11 May 30, 2012
I haven't been to that Hazard, Ky. The one I visit the people are rude and if they are nice they're wanting something that you have. I'm happy that you can only see the good but if I had to live there I would probably see only the good also. It's called denial and it works great for awhile.
reality check

United States

#12 May 30, 2012
It's wonderful to be able to close your eyes to what is really happening in the area, or to look through rose colored glasses. But the facts tell the real story.

Yes it is a beautiful region, and unfortunately it has been raped robbed and pillage by mining, that has supplied so many with jobs.

I do understand the plight of the miners and their need for work. I also understand that the Government and Leaders through the years failed the people, by not targeting other industry, that would provide jobs for the people. It is now up to the community leaders to draw new business and promote growth in the area that is not coal related. Many health issues in the area are a result of mining, and I know that many might dispute that fact, but it is true.

The whole region is is over run with drugs and addicts. It is an epidemic. The thieves are everywhere, and many are drug users looking to support their habits.

To visit Southeastern Kentucky is one thing, and for those who visit, I'm glad they see good. But the fact is, that once you are living here, you would see a whole different side of life. It is repressed and in a serious state.

I would not recommend anyone move to the area, unless they are financially well established, with their kids grown and beyond the age of being enticed into the drug scene.

Druggies and thieves run free. Very Many children are being raised by people other than their parents, because the parents don't care enough to clean themselves up and live a decent life.

Good and decent paying jobs are basically non-existant without a degree. Even with a degree, the younger people most times cannot find work that pays a decent salary without leaving the area.

Prostitution is open and active any time day or night.

Political Corruption is rampant. I am continually amazed, that the State does not step in and clean up the political corruption. Taxpayer dollars continue to be stolen, without repercussion, and without restitution.

I am very sorry to say that the surface view that visitors to the area see, is not the real picture of life in Southeastern Kentucky. Not just Perry County, but in all counties in the region.
sayer

London, KY

#13 May 30, 2012
Hazard is the most opressed place i have ever been to in my life i have travled alot in my time and its just a very depressed town i mean you can walk down main st or the isles of walmart and everyone you see looks so depressed they dont smile they just look so down i guess it could be that if someone that knows you does see you smile people start thinking well what do they have to smile about and they get jealous and start rumors on you or try and hate on you, this little town has a two faced epidemic people lie and cheat each other so much that so called best friends stab each other in the back and the drug problem here is a pure shame politics here is another shame everyone has to know someone to get something done or they want you to hit your knees to get it people here really make me sick they try to act like people in jersey shore wearing fake stylish clothes and fake tans riding around in there drug or coal paid for car cruising to no were lmao when in reality they prob just bout that fuji water there drinking with food stamps people are always out for themselves there mostly over weight and there dental hygine is a discrase women chew tobacco and men share the spit cup with them so theres a little vent to the most unhappiest place on earth.... brought to you by FRIENDS OF OPRESSION
Back then

Jefferson, GA

#14 May 31, 2012
reality check wrote:
It's wonderful to be able to close your eyes to what is really happening in the area, or to look through rose colored glasses. But the facts tell the real story.
Yes it is a beautiful region, and unfortunately it has been raped robbed and pillage by mining, that has supplied so many with jobs.
I do understand the plight of the miners and their need for work. I also understand that the Government and Leaders through the years failed the people, by not targeting other industry, that would provide jobs for the people. It is now up to the community leaders to draw new business and promote growth in the area that is not coal related. Many health issues in the area are a result of mining, and I know that many might dispute that fact, but it is true.
The whole region is is over run with drugs and addicts. It is an epidemic. The thieves are everywhere, and many are drug users looking to support their habits.
To visit Southeastern Kentucky is one thing, and for those who visit, I'm glad they see good. But the fact is, that once you are living here, you would see a whole different side of life. It is repressed and in a serious state.
I would not recommend anyone move to the area, unless they are financially well established, with their kids grown and beyond the age of being enticed into the drug scene.
Druggies and thieves run free. Very Many children are being raised by people other than their parents, because the parents don't care enough to clean themselves up and live a decent life.
Good and decent paying jobs are basically non-existant without a degree. Even with a degree, the younger people most times cannot find work that pays a decent salary without leaving the area.
Prostitution is open and active any time day or night.
Political Corruption is rampant. I am continually amazed, that the State does not step in and clean up the political corruption. Taxpayer dollars continue to be stolen, without repercussion, and without restitution.
I am very sorry to say that the surface view that visitors to the area see, is not the real picture of life in Southeastern Kentucky. Not just Perry County, but in all counties in the region.
Well said and sooooo true!
Back then

Jefferson, GA

#15 May 31, 2012
sayer wrote:
Hazard is the most opressed place i have ever been to in my life i have travled alot in my time and its just a very depressed town i mean you can walk down main st or the isles of walmart and everyone you see looks so depressed they dont smile they just look so down i guess it could be that if someone that knows you does see you smile people start thinking well what do they have to smile about and they get jealous and start rumors on you or try and hate on you, this little town has a two faced epidemic people lie and cheat each other so much that so called best friends stab each other in the back and the drug problem here is a pure shame politics here is another shame everyone has to know someone to get something done or they want you to hit your knees to get it people here really make me sick they try to act like people in jersey shore wearing fake stylish clothes and fake tans riding around in there drug or coal paid for car cruising to no were lmao when in reality they prob just bout that fuji water there drinking with food stamps people are always out for themselves there mostly over weight and there dental hygine is a discrase women chew tobacco and men share the spit cup with them so theres a little vent to the most unhappiest place on earth.... brought to you by FRIENDS OF OPRESSION
Well said and sooooo true!!
Mark

Sheridan, AR

#16 May 31, 2012
Aguy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well someone had to say it. I don't know what place all these other people are talkin about but it sure as hell isn't hazard. Maybe if they took off those rose colored goggles and looked at the world around them they would see what this place really is. Tell ya what, go to wal mart on Friday and let's hear ya talk about how wonderful and hardworking hazard folk are. And if you still think hazard folk are so great head over to ace's
pain clinic and have a chat with all those fine
upstanding citizens, then come back here and
talk about how great hazard Is.
you know, there's good and bad in every community, but if people would do things to help the community and the people IN the community instead of bitching about it, then things might change. All you do is talk about pill heads this and pill heads that, without understanding that this is a disease, and most of these ppl WANT help. Nobody wants to ruin their lives with this stuff. But all they hear is ppl putting them down and talking crap,so they get discouraged. We STILL live in the most beautiful place on earth. Try visiting L.A or New York and you'll see. The drug problems there are 10 times worse than here, but they live in a smog infested, garbage everywhere, crime rampant environment. I've been there and it put my opinion of hazard into perspective. At LEAST we have ppl that will still come to your aid or stop if you're in trouble. I've seen ppl step over poor homeless ppl lying in the streets in the big cities. And as for Ace's clinic. He isn't just a pain clinic, he has non pain patients as well, but if you have a pain issue, he WILL help you and he stays within the guidelines. He does monthly drug testing, checks kaspers,etc. Because some ppl need a legitimate place to go for pain. But everytime hazard gets a good dr., the nosy idiots do everything to run them out. Take pride in your town and get involved or STFU!
Whine whine

Sheridan, AR

#17 May 31, 2012
@reality check
Even with the damage from mining, this area is STILL some of the most beautiful country there is. Try going to the major big cities and all you see out your window is garbage piled in the streets, ugly, crumbling buildings without a tree in sight. At least the gov makes them replant grass and trees back now. It'll take a few years for them to grow but once they do you won't be able to even see where they mined. As for drugs, try walking down a big city street without tripping over somebody on the sidewalk, bombed out of their mind. Or 20-30 hookers, with meth sores all over them, grabbing your arm, trying to get business. The biggest problem here is pain pills. In the cities it's heroin, anything they can put in their veins. We have druggies robbing ppl, but at least they don't knock you in the head in broad daylight, and 10 people watching them and doing nothing. We STILL live in the most beautiful place around and if we tried to do something instead of giving up,and complaining, maybe things would change.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#18 May 31, 2012
HEY I LOVA hazard i suck a many of black D-ck till they would turn white SO..!!!!!!
reality check

United States

#19 May 31, 2012
To Whine whine:
If you will read what was written, you will see that I stated, Southeastern Kentucky is a beautiful area.

For your futher information, I have lived in more than just a few very large cities across the United States. I am also from Southeastern Kentucky.

I do agree that every area and every city has a percentage of people who are in the drug culture. But it is most certainly Not as you portray. Needle junkies and hookers are Not on every street in every big city. There are good and bad areas of any large city.

The percentage of people on drugs in Southeastern Kentucky is without a doubt at epidemic proportions. The negative aspects of the entire region outweigh the positive. It is a sad fact.

Unfortunately the oppression and repression have had such a horrific impact on the entire region, that it remains 15 to 20 years behind the times.

Slowly the region is progressing, but only because there is a real world out there, and it has to. The Citizens of Southeastern Kentucky deserve to be able to live like the rest of the U.S., with the utilities, resources, and Government structures, enjoyed by most of the Country already.

But before these things can happen, the People have to want it. And must demand it.

Again, yes it is a beautiful area, and with the proper leadership, the area could prosper.
because i care

Jefferson, GA

#20 Jun 1, 2012
bisexy wrote:
HEY I LOVA hazard i suck a many of black D-ck till they would turn white SO..!!!!!!
Are you mentally retarded?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 min uMoron 143,016
Missing : Natasha Fugate Jones 4 min Brightside 203
Sykes 22 min Prol 9
Emily Duke at Chavies 32 min Lowlife Coward 2
Food City Worker 43 min Curi 1
Perry central cheerleaders (Feb '10) 47 min decay 113
local churches 59 min decay 12
Red feather fan 1 hr This 133
Teco coal 4 hr Just saying 237
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hazard Mortgages