20 20 ABC News Topix Posts

Posted in the Hazard Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
IP address

Brodhead, KY

#1 Nov 18, 2012
People sued over comments made on topix. Go to ABC News 20/20 show and search topix, it will pull up lawsuits against people who had been posting slanderous lies on this site., you people better read and read carefully your IP address can be given when a lawsuit is filed against this site. Getting on here telling dangerous and foolish lies can cost you millions that you don't have.
Thank god

Brodhead, KY

#2 Nov 18, 2012
It's about time
Fact

Brodhead, KY

#4 Nov 18, 2012
Dan Rather wrote:
What if it's the truth about somebody? If somebody don't have nothing then how can you get millions of dollars from them?
well usually on here it's LIES, and its not about the money it's about finding out who wrote all the comments, that is payment itself just to bust that person or persons .
Mount Vernon, KY

#5 Nov 18, 2012
for someone to sue a person over topix the person's first and last names or name of a bussiness must be mentioned. if there is a hint of truth to what is being posted it will be hard to prove slander. just because a person thinks a topic is about them proves nothing. the names have to be used. i was told this when i consulted a lawyer over a hindman ky topix post.
Fact

Brodhead, KY

#6 Nov 18, 2012
posts wrote:
for someone to sue a person over topix the person's first and last names or name of a bussiness must be mentioned. if there is a hint of truth to what is being posted it will be hard to prove slander. just because a person thinks a topic is about them proves nothing. the names have to be used. i was told this when i consulted a lawyer over a hindman ky topix post.
go watch ABC 20/20 and see what it saids and then get back on here and post, there are several suits that were filed. And for the record this site isn't for bad talking or slandering someone's names just because your mad or don't like a person, this site needs to be SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD.
slander

Mount Vernon, KY

#7 Nov 18, 2012
If I wrote Pam is lazy and fat... Pam who?
If I wrote someone is gay... Someone who?
If I wrote Jim steals... Jim who?

These people could be anyone in this town.
Slander is telling lies to purposely hurt someones reputation.
If a persons real name is not written.. How do you know they are refearing to you? Where is your proof? ip or not, there has to be names. If names weren't needed everyone on topix would have a case. I hate this place as much as the next person but slander is hard to prove.
jim steals

United States

#8 Nov 18, 2012
I will se you in court mr slander
People are being sued

Hindman, KY

#12 Nov 18, 2012
gina dials wrote:
anybody can delete a topic on here if they dont like what it says. kentucky passed a law about it a couple of years ago. there is some good info on here and its faster that the news breaking a story sometimes , but theres a lot of junk on here too.
Our federal law which supercedes state law says: AND READ AND REMEMBER THIS----YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH SO LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE UPON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. That would be liee/slander.
Dont kid yourself

London, KY

#13 Nov 19, 2012
slander wrote:
If I wrote Pam is lazy and fat... Pam who?
If I wrote someone is gay... Someone who?
If I wrote Jim steals... Jim who?
These people could be anyone in this town.
Slander is telling lies to purposely hurt someones reputation.
If a persons real name is not written.. How do you know they are refearing to you? Where is your proof? ip or not, there has to be names. If names weren't needed everyone on topix w
ould have a case. I hate this place as much as
the next person but slander is hard to
prove.
That's not necessarily true. In MOST cases you'd need the name, however there are exceptions. For instance, on a recent post, someone made a comment about the owner of the hyden Subway being gay. Even if they hadn't given the name, this person could sue and have their IPs traced, because I believe there's only one Subway in hyden and the person owning it would obviously be who they meant. It would be pretty hard to talk your way out of that one. Or say someone said something defamatory about "suzie" at walmart, and the post mentions how she abuses her daughter "Amy" and she's cheating on her husband "mike". If there were such a person, it would be a huge coincidence that there's more than one suzie, with a daughter Amy and husband mike, working at walmart. See what I mean? Most ppl who run their mouth on here might not use last names, but they give enough info so ppl know exactly who they're talking about. It's why they do it, and there is starting to be a lot more suits filed. Don't kid yourself that you have to use a persons whole name in order to be traced and sued for defamation. And if there is money amounts awarded, your paycheck or other incomes can be garnished, for years until it's paid. I work for an attorney and we haven't seen any cases, but we've consulted with another firm that has two active cases now that are awaiting IP address searches. Never know, could be looking for one of you.
Ppl r crazy

United States

#14 Nov 19, 2012
Oh plz if this was the case lawsuits IP s would be all over the news the papers best thing to do us to not put yourself in a position to be talked about on Topix or anywhere and it can be done so don't say it can't. Where there's smoke there's fire always. By what you are claiming you are also putting yourself at risk of slander.
wang chung

Whitesburg, KY

#15 Nov 19, 2012
Ppl r crazy wrote:
Oh plz if this was the case lawsuits IP s would be all over the news the papers best thing to do us to not put yourself in a position to be talked about on Topix or anywhere and it can be done so don't say it can't. Where there's smoke there's fire always. By what you are claiming you are also putting yourself at risk of slander.
Too many places have wireless internet that lots of people use.. You can't tell who is using free wifi..
some truth to it

Mount Vernon, KY

#16 Nov 19, 2012
Dont kid yourself wrote:
<quoted text>That's not necessarily true. In MOST cases you'd need the name, however there are exceptions. For instance, on a recent post, someone made a comment about the owner of the hyden Subway being gay. Even if they hadn't given the name, this person could sue and have their IPs traced, because I believe there's only one Subway in hyden and the person owning it would obviously be who they meant. It would be pretty hard to talk your way out of that one. Or say someone said something defamatory about "suzie" at walmart, and the post mentions how she abuses her daughter "Amy" and she's cheating on her husband "mike". If there were such a person, it would be a huge coincidence that there's more than one suzie, with a daughter Amy and husband mike, working at walmart. See what I mean? Most ppl who run their mouth on here might not use last names, but they give enough info so ppl know exactly who they're talking about. It's why they do it, and there is starting to be a lot more suits filed. Don't kid yourself that you have to use a persons whole name in order to be traced and sued for defamation. And if there is money amounts awarded, your paycheck or other incomes can be garnished, for years until it's paid. I work for an attorney and we haven't seen any cases, but we've consulted with another firm that has two active cases now that are awaiting IP address searches. Never know, could be looking for one of you.
if there is any truth about the subway owner , amy, mike ect then it aint slander.
Ppl r crazy

Hindman, KY

#17 Nov 19, 2012
wang chung wrote:
<quoted text>Too many places have wireless internet that lots of people use.. You can't tell who is using free wifi..
exactly

“Beautiful Days..Beautiful Life”

Since: Jan 11

Indianapolis / Hazard

#18 Nov 19, 2012
If you get the ip address & go to court what do you expect to gain? Money? An apology? Jail time for the offender? What? If someone "slanders" a business then wouldn't you want to go see for yourself if the allegations were true before being gullible & believing everything you hear? As for the childish little games of calling ppl names & accusing others of doing this or that consider the source of your information. Some ppl take sheer joy in hurting & causing grief to others. I've been called everything but a milk cow on these threads & accused of horrible things but I know these ppl really don't know me at all & just because someone wants to be an ass doesn't make me want to run & get a lawyer for their ip & sue or whatever. Besides those who strive to spread lies & rumors on others obviously have a character default & should be pitied not sued.

“White Power”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#19 Nov 19, 2012
karmamylove wrote:
If you get the ip address & go to court what do you expect to gain? Money? An apology? Jail time for the offender? What? If someone "slanders" a business then wouldn't you want to go see for yourself if the allegations were true before being gullible & believing everything you hear? As for the childish little games of calling ppl names & accusing others of doing this or that consider the source of your information. Some ppl take sheer joy in hurting & causing grief to others. I've been called everything but a milk cow on these threads & accused of horrible things but I know these ppl really don't know me at all & just because someone wants to be an ass doesn't make me want to run & get a lawyer for their ip & sue or whatever. Besides those who strive to spread lies & rumors on others obviously have a character default & should be pitied not sued.
you must have missed that post, you were indeed compared to a milk cow. I think that is mean to milk cows, but just wanted to be accurate.
Yes you can

Manchester, KY

#21 Nov 20, 2012
I would pay that.It wouldn't be about the money.You would have to prove that your friend or neighbor done it,after the fact.Just as much as the person that brought a case against you would have to prove you did.Thanks to places like this there are lawyer that specialize in cyber crimes or lawsuits and i think your way off on how much it cost to start a case.
Rassie

Pippa Passes, KY

#22 Nov 20, 2012
Yeah a lawyer will work for free!

“Beautiful Days..Beautiful Life”

Since: Jan 11

Indianapolis / Hazard

#23 Nov 20, 2012
Terri Hopper wrote:
<quoted text>you must have missed that post, you were indeed compared to a milk cow. I think that is mean to milk cows, but just wanted to be accurate.
Why thank you soooo much for pointing out that indeed I have been compared to a milk cow. I must have missed that one..LMAO!!! Moo Moo buckaroo!! I guess it takes one to know one doesn't it?? Want to come over to my pasture today or just wallow in yours??? Better yet little terri hopper how about you hop on to someone else & ride them awhile?? ROTF LMAO!!! Moo Moo Moo!!!
all guilty

Mount Vernon, KY

#24 Nov 20, 2012
everyone on topix is guilty of posting something about someone if you weren't you wouldn't be on here.

“Gods Curse On Lazy Hillbillies”

Since: Jun 12

Dale City, VA

#25 Nov 20, 2012
Dan Rather wrote:
What if it's the truth about somebody? If somebody don't have nothing then how can you get millions of dollars from them?
They Will Borrow It From China!!!....Just Like Our Government Does....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hazard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How do I tell my wife she stinks (Jan '11) 13 min interested-guy 164
Stephanie Caudill got her man 35 min Babygirl 1
How do I tell my woman to lose weight? 35 min Hal 8
Shorty arrested for something fire-related. 37 min Don 2
Scott Alexander not fit for a "judge" 45 min coreyie 170
American motorcycle&atv 50 min fggre 7
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr kelly 156,425

Hazard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance