to all of Buzz Prentice's (pappadood) friends in Hayti...

Posted in the Hayti Forum

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#1 Apr 13, 2011
I have the sad proviledge to inform you that

Aubrey "Buzz" Prentice my uncle passed away yesterday about 7pm in West Plains..

he was a great uncle and man, I will miss him

Steve

I'm his sister Mildred (Carma's) son..

Location hidden

#2 Apr 13, 2011
sorry for my spelling, I haven't slept so well..
Barb Hunt

United States

#3 Apr 13, 2011
I am so sorry to here that. Buzz was a wonderful person. His sister Pat an I were friends years ago in school. I will pray for your family.

United States

#4 Apr 13, 2011
He will be missed by many, I loved reading his comments on here about Hayti back in the day. He reminded me of so many places and things I had forgotten. He was a wonderful storey teller !
My best to you and your family.
MIsplaced Missourian

Adelanto, CA

#5 Apr 14, 2011
I am Carma Sanders, sister to Papadood.. I used to post now and then on Topix.. in reply to Buzz. I grew up in Pascola.. later I worked at People's Drugstore after graduation.. Our brothr, Jim graduated from Hayti High and comes to the school reunions.. I remember some happy times in Hayti.. We have family buried at the cemetery.. Martin Ray is a long time friend... Yes, we will certainly miss Papadood.. I recall one Sunday.. when Jerry Brantley and the band members were scouring the countryside..trying to find a rare blood type for a friend of Jerry.. that had surgery and needed a transfusion.. Is the Club Zanza still there?
Barb Hunt

United States

#6 Apr 14, 2011
Yes Carma Club Zanza is still here. I was good friends with your sister Pat, we went to school together. I stared a topix for a sweet little friend of mine Selena ,Buzz prayed evertday with us. I will miss him. So sorry for your loss.
Donna Hodel

Piggott, AR

#7 Apr 14, 2011
HOW VERY SAD!!!! I told Selena. Needless to say, his "little Princess" is very upset! I wish we had known he was sick...I posted the SAD news on the "Pray For Selena" thread!!! What a wonderful person you introduced us to, Barb!!! May he Fly with the angels!!!
Misplaced Missourian

Adelanto, CA

#8 Apr 15, 2011
Thanks Barb.. I talk to my cousin often..She is Lora Mae Garner...She keeps me updated on the news in town... Guess I will never lose my small town ways..Thank you all for your kind words about Buzz.. This almost broke my heart.. I never dreamed I would lose him first.. since I'm five years older than he was.. Please pray for his daughter, Kathy. She is so beside herself.. Buzz was like a Rock for her.. She misses him dearly..
Anonymous

Salisbury, MD

#9 Apr 15, 2011
Very sorry to hear this sad news. Buzz and I had been friends forever. Graduated with him in 1957 and we hung out together during High School. Lost contact for a while when he moved to CA. However one nite the phone rang and it was Buzz and we talked well over an hour hashing over the good times. Next I knew he had moved to WP to help his sister out. That was Buzz: he enjoyed helping people. I knew he had been sick but this came as a shock!! Buzz will be missed by family and friends. May God help you all in this time of need.
Larry Gilmore
Snow Hill, MD
Barb Hunt

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Apr 15, 2011
oldtimer1939 wrote:
Very sorry to hear this sad news. Buzz and I had been friends forever. Graduated with him in 1957 and we hung out together during High School. Lost contact for a while when he moved to CA. However one nite the phone rang and it was Buzz and we talked well over an hour hashing over the good times. Next I knew he had moved to WP to help his sister out. That was Buzz: he enjoyed helping people. I knew he had been sick but this came as a shock!! Buzz will be missed by family and friends. May God help you all in this time of need.
Larry Gilmore
Snow Hill, MD
Larry , how are you doing? I was real good friends with Joyce when we werein school,,Smith was my name then.I havent heard from yall in years. Hope everything is o.k. with you and your family.
Anonymous

Salisbury, MD

#11 Apr 16, 2011
Barb, nice to hear from you as it has been many years since we left Hayti. I joined the Navy and spent 23 yrs while travelling coast to coast and overseas in Europe and Asia. Joyce Ann is still with me after 50 yrs. She is in great health & I'm fine except being diabetic and can't keep it in check.
Have a girl & boy. Tammy & her 25 yr old son live near Little Rock. Larry Jr. his wife & 2 sons (14 & 11) live 15 mi. away.
After retiring from the Navy we went to NJ & I worked for Lockheed Martin. Xferred to MD in 1988 and retired from Lockheed in 2005.
Joyce (she has gone by Ann for 40 odd yrs since she was the head of a PTA with 6 Joyces in it so she started having everyone call her Ann. I sometimes forget her name is Joyce Ann.
She still works. Was a cosmetologist until we moved here and she
quit that and has managed a Pharmacy for 20 yrs. Won't retire since she can't put up with me 24/7.
Was sure saddened by the loss of Buzz. I hadn't heard from him in a while and knew he had been sick. Vivian (Johnson) Smith informed me about his passing. We haven't made any class reunions as we were always on the coast or overseas when they happened. Our parents have passed and we haven't been to Hayti in several yrs. Where do you live?
Barb Hunt

Ballwin, MO

#12 Apr 17, 2011
Larry we still live in Hayti. Corkey an me have been married 54 yrs. We had 3 sons an 1 daughter. her name is Tammy also. I have thought about you an Joyce Ann a lot over the yrs. So many of our friends have passed away.I owned Curtis Cafe for 34 yrs. Corkey has Farmed,an Trucked for yrs. We both still work,but I sold the cafe in 2001 my email is bach1957@att.net Would love to email Joyce sometime.. Barb
Dean Wolfe

Twentynine Palms, CA

#13 Apr 17, 2011
I am sorry to hear about the passing of my friend and fellow band member Aubrey "Buzz" Prentice . We began playing in a band together when I was 15 and Buzz was 16. We played in Junior Upchurch’s band. Buzz played drums and I sang and played guitar.
When I was (17) I formed my own band which included Buzz on drums, Jerry Brantley on lead guitar, Robert Burdine on bass and I played guitar and sang. Jerry was from Caruthersville, Buzz was from Hayti, Robert Burdine was from Steele and I grew up outside Caruthersville in a little community called McCarty.
We played many clubs in the area which included club “Zanza” at Hayti and for several years we played nightclubs throughout Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas. We played a lot of the clubs that Elvis played when he was first getting started.
In 1959, John Ritter’s father, Tex Ritter came to Hayti to do a show. Our band played for him. After the show he asked if we would like to come to California and work with him. A couple of months later we were on our way to California. We made several apperances on Tex Ritter’s TV show and played other shows with him. When Tex began playing nightclubs we had to return because I was not old enough to be in nightclubs. We returned home and continued playing shows.
When our bass player, Robert Burdine, had to leave the band because of his job we were left without a bass player. We knew where we could get a drummer, but we needed a bass player. I remember the day very clearly when Buzz said “I can play the bass.” I didn’t know Buzz even knew the chords on the guitar or bass, but we got a bass and, without missing a beat, Buzz began playing the bass. He became a very professional bass player and, later, player on my first two records.
The drummer we found was ‘Jimmy (Skeeter) Powers from Steele. He was 14. In Missouri and neighboring states if a member of the band was 21 or over, you could act as a guardian. This allowed Skeeter, Buzz and me to play in the nightclubs.
We recorded our first recording session at Sun Recording Studios in Memphis. The same recording studio where Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Oberson and Charley Rich did their first recordings.
Our first recordings were Twisting Jane and It’s a Miracle. Buzz played bass on both records and did an excellent job. I was in the music business for 27 years and Buzz was the best bass player I ever had the honor to play with.
We played several weeks in Chicago, but we all got homesick and headed back home.
In the winter of 1962 we were playing at the Hotel Noble in Blythville, Arkansas. A club owner from Indianapolis flew down to hear us play. After hearing us play he handed me $200 and said we were hired to open his new club called “Suzie’s Twist club.
Buzz, Skeeter and myself packed up an old 1952 Desoto and headed for Indianapolis, Indiana. We were booked for two weeks. I stayed for 15 years. Buzz stayed for a year and returned to Hayti.
I lost touch with Buzz, but later learned he had moved to California. In 1978 I moved with my family to California. I found Buzz. We got together and talked over old times. A few years later Buzz told me he was moving back to Missouri to retire.
It’s odd how and when things happen. A few years back, Buzz put together a cd of the first songs that we recorded along with some of the records we later recorded. Yesterday on the way home from work, I was playing the cd. Buzz introduced the songs and talked about old times.
When I got home, I got a call informing me that Buzz had passed away. I had just pulled in my driveway after listing to Buzz introduce the old songs we recorded when I walked into the house to learn that he had passed.
I am sad today and I want to extend my condolences to his family and friends. I know all of you will miss Buzz, and so will I.
Dean Wolfe
Mike Tucker

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#14 Apr 19, 2011
Aubrey, buzz, papadood, whatever you all may have called him I simply called him Grandpa. And I write these words with a heavy heart knowing that he'll never get them. He was truly the only positive male roll model in my life, more-so than my own father and though others may speak to the contrary about his character, he was the type of man I've striven to become; kind, gentle, understanding and loving to all.
He truly just wanted everyone to be happy and I can only wish that we, as family (however distant or estranged) can and will honor his wishes in doing so.
I wish I could say an event as devastating as this would bring us, as family, closer together but I know it probably won't so I can only wish you all the best in your efforts to deal with such a huge loss in Aubrey. My heart, as heavy as it may be, goes out to all of you whether you know (of) me or not.

Cheers.

-mike
Anonymous

Salisbury, MD

#15 Apr 19, 2011
Dean,
Grew up with Buzz and was privileged to hear the bands you wrote about. My late father-in-law owned the club Zanza in th 50s & 60s. I got to "sneak" in and got to hear Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison & others. They were all just getting started and they played there in different clubs. I remember the B & B (Bloody Bucket) in Gobler where they played also. At least between the fights.
I would like to know if you could copy the CD of your band. I would gladly pay for the CD and the shipping cost. Would love to have a copy. If so I will send my address and the money.

Thanx a lot for the write up here. It certainly brought back many good memories. Haven't seen Buzz in yrs. but thought about him (and some of our pranks) many, many times.
May God Bless and keep you in good health.
Larry Gilmore

Location hidden

#16 Apr 19, 2011
Dean,

could you please make me a copy of the cd or zip it up and email it to me

I'm Steve Carma Prentice son and I'd love to have a copy of my uncles music from back then

my email is

xxipxx@gmail.com

thanks so much

Mike,

any time you'd like to reach me, send me an email, I'd love to hear from family..

Steve
Dean Wolfe

Twentynine Palms, CA

#17 Apr 20, 2011
Hello Steve and Larry. I will be happy to send you a copy of the CD Buzz made of our first recordings.
Email me your mailing address at:
silverscreen411@roadrunner.com
Dean

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hayti Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
really cindy d and randy r 4 hr laughing 13
Bobby Neal (circa 1956) (Jun '08) 11 hr Jimmy Neal 59
Hayti Heights 12 hr Hayti573 3
Thomas family 21 hr Thomas Family member 3
Chris Thomes (Oct '10) 21 hr Family member 26
Bobby Watkins For Mayor (Feb '07) Sat Guest 444
South Third Jan 20 SouthDixie 1
Hayti Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hayti People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:31 pm PST

NBC Sports12:31PM
Source: Browns interview former Rams coach Mike Martz
NBC Sports 3:14 AM
Rams won't get chance to interview Rob Chudzinski or Alex Van Pelt
Bleacher Report 6:15 PM
Why the St. Louis Rams Must Draft Dorial Green-Beckham
NBC Sports 8:37 AM
Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for Rams offensive coordinator on Thursday
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?