Central High School (1932 - 1969) def...

Central High School (1932 - 1969) defunct

Posted in the Hayti Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vinelines

Jefferson City, MO

#1 Aug 28, 2007
I would like to hear from friends who attended Central High School in Hayti. I was with the class of 68. At Classmate.com , Central is listed as Hayti Negro School. Please get in touch -- I would love to hear from you.

Since: Aug 07

Hayti Heights

#2 Aug 28, 2007
I am from Hayti Heights, but I attended Central High School in Hayti from elementary through high school. Not Hartsburg.... sorry about that.

Hayti Heights

#3 Aug 28, 2007
Dorothy: My favorite high school teacher was Lugene Bailey. There were many more wonderful teachers such as R. Betts, I. Key, I. Cheatham, Dickens brothers, Coach Smith and his wife, Ferguson, and others who we will express our many positive thoughts. I enjoyed taking algebra under Mr. Cooper, but I never understood a word he said. Somehow, though, I passed out of Algebra. My best friend Judy; and other close friends were Ruby, Jurllean, Phyllis, Linda, Jane Ella, Bessie, Gloria, all Dorothys and many too numerous to name. All I can say is, I enjoyed the Maroon and White and those who attended Central
mr indian

Blue Springs, MO

#4 Aug 28, 2007
is that the same school that is across the tracks? im a lil younger that u guys, but i think if its the same one, i attended middle school there. MAN THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!
Vinelines

Jefferson City, MO

#5 Aug 28, 2007
Yes, after the last class graduated from Central (Cedar Street), the school later on became Hayti Middle School. During its life span it housed grades one through 12, as well as, had enrolled from nondistricts students because of integration. African-Americans (in those days - negroes) were transported from Steele, Portageville, Lilbourn, New Madrid, Wardell, Swift, Braggadocio, Kennett, and numerous other places. While Central was receiving nondistrict students, so was the black high school in Caruthersville, Washington High School. Central had a marvelous band, but I tell you... Washington's band was too stuff.
Vinelines

Jefferson City, MO

#6 Aug 28, 2007
I mean "Washington's band was too tuff" It was excellent!
Vinelines

Jefferson City, MO

#7 Aug 28, 2007
In those days, not everyone could afford a hot lunch, which was only a dime and maybe 15 cents for high school kids, so many students went to surround mom/pop stores that were attached to their homes. We would walk a long way to get more for our nickels and dimes. Jackson's store became Jackson's Cafe. Then there was Hawkins, DeWeese store (Lannie's Grocery), Elhart Cafe and many others. Maybe someone can help me to remember the other names.

Hayti Heights

#8 Aug 28, 2007
To: Mr. Indian
At that Middle School campus there was a lot of land, where a kid could run and sort of be free, lots of wide open space. Share some of your best days there, please.

Since: Jul 07

Hayti, Mo. (now West Plains,)

#9 Aug 28, 2007
Vinelines, I attended Hayti High School but several of us used to go over to Central and play basketball with the guys over there. It was hard for us to field a team with so few in our class so we improvised and went to Central and had some outstanding games. Feelings about integration were running very high at that time but we didn't care. We just wanted to play basketball and I might add that there was never a cross word spoken at those games and the guys there were always glad to have us join them. It was there that I first heard the term, "traveling with the ball." It had always been "walking with the ball" up to that time. It's funny now because it is the accepted term in the NBA and all other sectors of the basketball community.
mr indian

Blue Springs, MO

#10 Aug 28, 2007
i remember much about the middle school. i think i attended there from 83-85??? anyways i have many memories. for one, there was those hot football practices under coach wayne brown and coach davis (rest in peace). btw, im white and i absolutely loved it out there. those nickel jumbos and penny fortune gum was the thing. i also remember playing aluminum can soccer using the floor of a building they tore down.
mr indian

Blue Springs, MO

#11 Aug 28, 2007
and mr jackson at jacksons lunchette was a wonderful man.

Hayti Heights

#12 Aug 28, 2007
Several years ago while serving on the school board, I tried to convince the group to give the entire campus to Southeast Missouri State University. The board took no action and really thought the idea was quite funny. Had the almost seven acres been given to SEMO (this was before Semo at Malden) just think by now that area would have become an excellent site for a branch university.
former hayti resident

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Aug 28, 2007
Vinelines wrote:
I would like to hear from friends who attended Central High School in Hayti. I was with the class of 68. At Classmate.com , Central is listed as Hayti Negro School. Please get in touch -- I would love to hear from you.
Hi there,
I graduated from Hayti in 1968 & by that time Central students had came over the tracks to our school. I am white but i had some great black friends that graduated with me. Barbara Grant was on the same basketball team as I was. Sport Joy played with the boys & he was great. Rosie Gamble & I were friends. Willie Hawkins was a good guy. Clifton Maxwell was always a quite guy. And Tamara Wade I love to this day.
Why I am writing is that those kids were in my class in 1968, so I was trying to figure out how you graduated from Central. I thought that all the high school kids came over to our school. Sorry if I am wrong, was just wondering.

I did read in a paper about 6 years ago in Indiana that Sport Joy had passed away & they spoke very highly of him & how he worked with the children in the area. What caught my eye to read it, because I was just passing thru was that it was titled something along the lines of a fine contributor to children had passed and he had graduated from Hayti, Mo, in 1968. Not trying to interfer on ur forum, was just wondering.

Hayti Heights

#14 Aug 28, 2007
You're doing just fine. Jump right in because the Hayti School District was definitely a unique situation for all of us. We were touched by the same people. From first grade to ninth grade, I was a classmate to all those who you mentioned. The district gave us a choice to select either school. Those who remained at Central and those who selected Hayti High were all challengers - we needed to see how far we could go in either worlds. It was a wonderful experience for most of us.

Hayti Heights

#15 Aug 28, 2007
Papadood, Mr. Indian and former Hayti Indian, I appreciate your comments. Clifton Maxwell came to Central at eighth or ninth grade. My regrets too that Sport passed away. Another person who attended Hayti High School was Dawn Vincent. Maybe one day, we all should just have a "Hayti Reunion".

Since: Mar 07

Hannibal

#16 Aug 28, 2007
Integration was a gradual process and it was not done in the span of 1 yr. Sport Joy, as I understand, has passed away. Clifton and I had a couple of classes together and he sat behind me in both classes.

Hayti Heights

#17 Aug 29, 2007
The Chuckster wrote:
Integration was a gradual process and it was not done in the span of 1 yr. Sport Joy, as I understand, has passed away. Clifton and I had a couple of classes together and he sat behind me in both classes.
Any info on Clifton? Chuckster, weeks ago I saw in a Hayti forum where you and others gave your comments. In trying to guess whose who, I realized that I don't know you, but I do know your brother, Al, who wrote sports stories for the Democrat-Argus, where I was employed for 15 years. I remember your mother, Mrs. Jackson and your two sisters. As a teacher's aide, I met Ramona. She was a student and a wonderful jewel. She along with many other students made going to work worthwhile.(FYI - I worked as circulation director at the Democrat-Argus)
former hayti resident

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Aug 29, 2007
The Chuckster wrote:
No it was done in one year. I never stated that. I just said they were in my graduating class. They came over b 4 '68. And they were a great group kids.

I agree, I think it time for another class re-union because next year will be 40 yrs. My name is Diann Morgan (then in school & now) & I for one would be sure to go.
former hayti resident

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Aug 29, 2007
After graduation for awhile I was a teachers' aide under Mrs. Cooper. I thought she was so nice. I was with the smaller kids tho & enjoyed them so much.

Since: Mar 07

Hannibal

#20 Aug 29, 2007
Vinelines wrote:
<quoted text>
Any info on Clifton? Chuckster, weeks ago I saw in a Hayti forum where you and others gave your comments. In trying to guess whose who, I realized that I don't know you, but I do know your brother, Al, who wrote sports stories for the Democrat-Argus, where I was employed for 15 years. I remember your mother, Mrs. Jackson and your two sisters. As a teacher's aide, I met Ramona. She was a student and a wonderful jewel. She along with many other students made going to work worthwhile.(FYI - I worked as circulation director at the Democrat-Argus)
I graduated in 72 and moved away. Two of my sisters live within a five mile range of me and another sister lives in Jeff City. Another sister drowned back in 73 near Hannibal at the age of 9.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hayti Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meth users that lost everything 3 hr Friend 8
darryl herron (Dec '11) 4 hr Scum bag 22
County jail 4 hr Facts 3
friends 6 hr fun 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) 16 hr Politico 965
Bisexual Guys? 22 hr Idk 4
Dopeheadeds May 22 Friend 7

Hayti Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hayti Mortgages