First Prev
of 3
Next Last
1961 Alumni Rolla MO

Rolla, MO

#41 Jul 15, 2013
Bruce, Is that your real name, Tiger High?

My dad also worked as a bed-laster at Brown Shoe - that may be where our dads first met (they probably worked side by side). What kind of work did your dad do afer he left Brown Shoe?

I've got a 8X10 picture of Moma standing next to the bed-lasting machine Daddy worked on for years. She's all dressed up, & wearing a corsage. The factory was having an open house for the public & Moma was chosen to be a guide. This was taken a few years after Daddy died in 1956. I wish you could see this picture - that bed-laster was a monstrosity of a machine!

No, I never heard the story about the local judge & the boss at the shoe factory selling jobs. I'm not surprised though - back during those depression years people were desperate for jobs. Even as late as the 60's it was a pretty big deal to be able to even get a job at Brown Shoe.

Yes, my 2nd oldest brother was quite an athlete - especially in football. Heck, his football playing was almost legend in C'ville back in the mid 50's! The old timers were still talking about it 40-50 years later. Daddy was still living when my brother played football & we went to every one of his games in & out of town.

After I married & moved away, almost everytime we we'd come to C'ville to visit - for years & years somebody would ask about my brother & reminise about his football days.

He was also a pretty good softball player I'm told. But, I just learned a few years ago (at one of my class reunions) that my oldest brother (who is now deceased) was a GREAT softball player!

Sometimes, my moma went to the game & sometimes my brothers would let me tag along when they played softball - but I didn't pay much attention to the game - I was too busy running, jumping turning summer-saults, hollering & just having a good ole time playing with the rest of the many kids out there. I wonder if you might have been out there playing too?
tiger high

Shreveport, LA

#42 Jul 16, 2013
1961 Alumni Rolla MO wrote:
Bruce, Is that your real name, Tiger High?
My dad also worked as a bed-laster at Brown Shoe - that may be where our dads first met (they probably worked side by side). What kind of work did your dad do afer he left Brown Shoe?
I've got a 8X10 picture of Moma standing next to the bed-lasting machine Daddy worked on for years. She's all dressed up, & wearing a corsage. The factory was having an open house for the public & Moma was chosen to be a guide. This was taken a few years after Daddy died in 1956. I wish you could see this picture - that bed-laster was a monstrosity of a machine!
No, I never heard the story about the local judge & the boss at the shoe factory selling jobs. I'm not surprised though - back during those depression years people were desperate for jobs. Even as late as the 60's it was a pretty big deal to be able to even get a job at Brown Shoe.
Yes, my 2nd oldest brother was quite an athlete - especially in football. Heck, his football playing was almost legend in C'ville back in the mid 50's! The old timers were still talking about it 40-50 years later. Daddy was still living when my brother played football & we went to every one of his games in & out of town.
After I married & moved away, almost everytime we we'd come to C'ville to visit - for years & years somebody would ask about my brother & reminise about his football days.
He was also a pretty good softball player I'm told. But, I just learned a few years ago (at one of my class reunions) that my oldest brother (who is now deceased) was a GREAT softball player!
Sometimes, my moma went to the game & sometimes my brothers would let me tag along when they played softball - but I didn't pay much attention to the game - I was too busy running, jumping turning summer-saults, hollering & just having a good ole time playing with the rest of the many kids out there. I wonder if you might have been out there playing too?
no, not my real name - I have a gay friend from my earlier travels and I mess with him on topix - I always have called him bruce puce - he claims I am a "queer wannabe", jokingly of course - bedlasting department is probably where they met - I think you mentioned once you came from Tennessee - my dad's family lived around reelfoot, some in shawtown, some in ridgely, pretty much all over lake and obion counties - I think oldest brother was a softball picture - seems like I can remember guys talking and hoping he wasn't going to pitch that nite - oh yeah, I was always in the middle of the kids playing - they had an old bar or pole where you could flip over and over on it - some tried to walk it like a tightrope - I had a couple of cousins that were your age or a year older - we would sneak across to the water tower, climb up and watch the game from there sometimes - of course, our initials had to go on the tower to show we were there -dad went into business for himself - he was at a point in his life where his 2 kids were in high school and the bed lasting had worn him out - guess who happened to be conceived about that time - think I was a pretty big shock - although the ages of your oldest down to the youngest is spread (age) further than we were. I also learned how to climb upon the shoe factory roof - a couple of us would go up and get softballs that were fouled up there. of course, we seemed to manage to always keep one so we could play the next day - we went to all the ball games when #2 played - loved thanksgiving day when we would play Kennett - dad always took his car out early and parked right behind the goal post - if it was cold, and it usually was, we could sit in the car and watch the game - people would come by and stop and talk for awhile - dad would always invite them to sit with us - we had 9 (counting me) in the car once (actually it was a station wagon)- that was a cold day - I bet the picture is a good memory - I have the big one I mentioned in an earlier post -see ya - out of space
1961 Alumni Rolla MO

Rolla, MO

#43 Jul 16, 2013
Tiger High,
Both my parents grew up in the Halls, TN area (out in the country). Both my older brothers were born in Tennessee, but me & my little brother were both born in C'ville.

No, I never got in on any adventures like climbing the water tower or other such fun things. I had been warned by my moma & both brothers that I had to stay with in viewing distance of them - or I would never get to go to any their ball games again. And, I never knew when one of them would look over to see if I was still there so they could see me.

It seems where my daddy left off when he died - my two older brothers took up. They watched me like a hawk to keep me on the straight & narrow!

I don't remember either of them spanking me - they didn't have to! They had a way of putting the fear of God in me without ever laying a hand on me!

But, my moma never had any qualms about spanking me on a regular basis. She even made me go cut my own switch so she could give me a whipping.

I always had rather have a whipping in the winter time than I did in summer - because I would try to find an old dead limb that would break real easy. I swear those little old green switches could last forever while she striped me good!

Seems like for a while there, she gave me a whipping almost every day for one thing or another. Of course, with my smart mouth - I'm sure I needed more than I got.

But, she WAS able to whip a lot of that smart-mouth out of me though throught the years. I only remember my daddy giving me a couple of spankings my whole life - he let Moma handle that job.

Yes, there was a big age gap in my family too. Here are the birth dates:(1928)-our sister who died in infancy,(1931),(1935),(1943) & (1951). My daddy was 44 & moma was 41 when my youngest brother was born.

Yes, I remember going to those football games as some of the happiest times of our lives together as a family.

My parents (my daddy especially) was real proud of my 2nd oldest brother & his football playing skills. Daddy died just one year later (almost to the date May 15 1956)- from when this brother graduated from high school...

My oldest brother was in the paratroopers most of the time when #2 brother was playing football.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hayti Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 9 min Justice 96,856
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 25 min Olden War Vet 2,616
Bobbie jumper Sat lil nephew 28
Hailea Erwin Sat lil nephew 9
Chlamydia Sat Jesus loves you 28
blackgirl at freds & Will Livingston Fri nicole 2
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) Sep 12 grave digger 6,936
•••
•••
•••

Hayti Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Hayti People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••