Once-oldest college grad earns her ma...

Once-oldest college grad earns her master's at 98 | The Columbus Di...

There are 28 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 19, 2010, titled Once-oldest college grad earns her master's at 98 | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Nola Ochs never set out to break any records. She figured she'd just take a few college courses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
emily

Moline, IL

#1 May 25, 2010
You go, girlfriend!
Dave Morse

United States

#2 May 25, 2010
You are an inspiration to us all, Mrs. Ochs! May the Lord bless you and keep up the good work, as I'm sure you will.
julie

Lake Elsinore, CA

#3 May 25, 2010
good for you im happy, you are wonderful
davidj

Los Angeles, CA

#4 May 25, 2010
Don't stop Nola, perhaps one day you will be the oldest Phd. Hell, you have inspired me to return to school at age 67!!!!!
Raahema Jackson

Newport News, VA

#5 May 25, 2010
Such an inspiration, I am a 57 year old grandmother currently working towards my bachelor in tourism and striving to be the first in my family of seven sisters and three brothers to earn a degree.
Kee fom Miami

United States

#6 May 25, 2010
I want to congratulate her. That inspires me to reach for my goals. She is an encougement to all young people like myself that no matter how old you are it's never to late to learn. Thank you.
Evelyn Miller

Pueblo, CO

#7 May 25, 2010
Congratulations! I am 58 and I am back in college and sometimes I just get too discouraged thinking I am too old. You are an inspiration to me!!
Chell from Michigan

Greeley, CO

#8 May 25, 2010
Wow thats great hope i have that much enegy and drive in my 90s
Stumper

Newport News, VA

#9 May 25, 2010
Raahema, keep up the great work. I went back after 20 years and completing my MBA in a couple on months. Working three jobs and school, it is worth it, hope to be an example to my children...good luck from Suffolk, VA.
Raahema Jackson wrote:
Such an inspiration, I am a 57 year old grandmother currently working towards my bachelor in tourism and striving to be the first in my family of seven sisters and three brothers to earn a degree.
KathyG

Newburgh, NY

#10 May 25, 2010
great inspiration- to go back and try something else or to start over
maddie

Charleston, SC

#11 May 25, 2010
u go granny!
DGS

Washington, DC

#12 May 25, 2010
Run for Office Grandma, you are a
Natural Born Leader
Run hard because the country needs a mind like yours
and more.
Run Grandma Run !
SPED Grandma

United States

#13 May 25, 2010
You go girl! My Masters' degree is 4 classes away..and then who knows what the future holds! You are an inspiration to say the least! God Bless You!
Nancy

Buffalo, NY

#14 May 25, 2010
Congratulations! God Bless You. I give you all the credit in the world.
Diana

Portland, OR

#15 May 25, 2010
Well I had better spell this correctly.
She is wonderful. I would love to see more old folks continue keeping their minds exercised. Beside healthy she is happy.
Bet it was all free education for her too. Maybe we should reverse the age for financial aid.
dorothy

Bristol, VA

#16 May 25, 2010
Keep going. I am 3 classes away from my masters at age 71. Hoping I make it through this research class
KWAME

Pleasanton, CA

#17 May 25, 2010
A GREAT JOB DONE,THIS IS FOR EVERY PERSON ON THIS PLANET EARTH,THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.BRAVO GRANDMA.........
cajunman

Madisonville, LA

#18 May 25, 2010
Great. Congratulations. Keep going at it. Never too old to live your dreams.
SVC

Toledo, OH

#19 May 25, 2010
Why?

We place entirely too much value on degrees and lose sight of their purpose. A college degree is a means to an end. The reason you go to college is to improve your value on the job market.

I'm not saying education isn't important. People should take advantage of the resources that are available to them and enrich themselves, but that doesn't mean you have to fork over thousands upon thousands of dollars to get a certificate that tells anybody who bothers to look at it that you successfully completed a prescribed course of study some academic council deemed worthwhile.

I think that colleges and universities have made a mockery of the educational process by offering specialized degrees in unnecessary courses of study. This served to inflate the cost of a college education while lowering the marketability of some degrees in the private sector.

There are a lot of stupid college grads out there who aren't worth the paper those degrees are printed on.
the birdie

Miami, FL

#20 May 25, 2010
that's awesome. so inspiring.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tanya Taylor (Mar '17) May '17 Clerk 2
News Cowley touts link to FHSU and wins governor's s... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Predator Harm In ... 1
News Demonstrators show support for Weber (Sep '16) Sep '16 rmorgan 1
Dairy Queen (Jul '16) Jul '16 guest 2
News Hispanic College Institute helps students get t... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Paddling has its ... 1
Plainville police (Jun '16) Jun '16 Concernedcitizen 1
Theresia Ostrom (Apr '16) Apr '16 Concern citizens 1

Hays Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hays Mortgages