Senate passes coal plan

Senate passes coal plan

There are 9 comments on the cjonline.com story from Mar 6, 2009, titled Senate passes coal plan. In it, cjonline.com reports that:

The Senate overwhelmingly voted Thursday to advance a bill opposed by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius that removes regulatory obstacles to construction of a $3.6 billion coal-fueled power plant in southwest Kansas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cjonline.com.

shadowdls

Shawnee, KS

#1 Mar 7, 2009
what is wrong with using clean natural gas since Kansas has great reserves of it?
John Q

Lenexa, KS

#2 Mar 8, 2009
shadowdls wrote:
what is wrong with using clean natural gas since Kansas has great reserves of it?
Much more expensive...not as much "cleaner" as you believe...It would run up the cost of home heating...

While the coal-fired plant is in operation, plans could be drawn and a new pollution free nuclear plant could be built, and Wolf Creek could be expanded...

Need any more reasons?
Door King

Moundridge, KS

#3 Mar 8, 2009
Be real difficult to veto this time with national jobs situation.
Maddog

Shawnee, KS

#4 Mar 8, 2009
You ever to the southwest part of this state. Go wind power.
good to me

Spring Hill, KS

#5 Mar 8, 2009
shadowdls wrote:
Natural gas produces nearly half the pollution of coal, not so clean as you think, is it!Think wind, solar, nuke, bio-mass, or trash burners. lots of options, just no one with the ball's to challenge the coal/gas/oil industry.

“Just me...”

Since: Aug 08

Topeka, Kansas

#6 Mar 8, 2009
good to me wrote:
<quoted text>Natural gas produces nearly half the pollution of coal, not so clean as you think, is it!Think wind, solar, nuke, bio-mass, or trash burners. lots of options, just no one with the ball's to challenge the coal/gas/oil industry.
While I agree with you completely, you risk setting of a whole debate over nuclear power or the unsightly wind turbines. Not to mention discussing pollution with "trash burners" seems almost funny.

Burning misc. refuse, such as paint, trees, tires, wood, medical refuse, etc. hardly constitutes less pollution.
Other Sign Guy

Plano, TX

#7 Mar 8, 2009
Which is more unsightly-a stately wind turbine or a big plume of coal smoke? I know which one I want in my back yard. And I wouldn't mind living next door to a nuclear plant.
good to me

Spring Hill, KS

#8 Mar 8, 2009
TopekaGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree with you completely, you risk setting of a whole debate over nuclear power or the unsightly wind turbines. Not to mention discussing pollution with "trash burners" seems almost funny.
Burning misc. refuse, such as paint, trees, tires, wood, medical refuse, etc. hardly constitutes less pollution.
Most if not all trash burners, supply cleaner power than coal, gas, oil or bio mass or even nuclear. Not to mention the recycling that is going on at these plants. They sort all trash and recycle what is usable and the rest that is safe to burn is burnt. Bio mass burns wood waste and non-recycable shredded rubber. Also trash and biomass plants are cheaper to construct and maintain than other plants. The maintenance and upkeep of wind turbines is 10 times that of fossil or nuclear power. So don't call it funny, check facts and figures on this.Also if cities put in central plants to supply heating and A/C to all it's buildings instead of 50 to 100 small individual plants, imagine the drop in co2 and nitrogen and sulfur output. Lot's of choices, but so few solutions.

“Just me...”

Since: Aug 08

Topeka, Kansas

#9 Mar 9, 2009
OSG and GTM, I agree with both of you. I like both of the options. I'm just saying that it opens all kinds of debates with nuclear power and the irony of "clean burning trash" is just about more than I can handle.

But yes, I agree. Both are great options. So is harnessing the methane gasses released by refuse. LA County is doing it, and it is FREE energy which is sadly never going away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Demonstrators show support for Weber Sep '16 rmorgan 1
Dairy Queen Jul '16 guest 2
News Hispanic College Institute helps students get t... Jun '16 Paddling has its ... 1
Plainville police Jun '16 Concernedcitizen 1
Theresia Ostrom (Apr '16) Apr '16 Concern citizens 1
News Student safety a concern with concealed carry, ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Prep-for-Dep 6
Debate: Gay Marriage - Hays, KS (Jan '12) Mar '16 jam 20

Hays Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hays Mortgages