New Towncenter in Gainesville VA
Gainesville

Gainesville, VA

#4490 Jan 29, 2013
Went to Grafton Street tonight for grand opening. I was unhappy with the new layout, bar is small, they took out more then half of the TV's $5.00 beers for happy hour just not the olace I was expecting. Will not go back
Moved

Glen Burnie, MD

#4491 Jan 29, 2013
Former Resident wrote:
VDOT updated their project page for the 66/15 interchange on Friday. From the looks of it, everything is getting pushed back at least six months. The public meeting that was scheduled for last Fall but never happened is now sometime this Spring. Worse yet, the construction start of 2014 now says 2015.
The 66 widening page still hasn't been touched in a few months and their page with the design rankings doesn't show a company being awarded the contract yet (which I believe was supposed to happen back in November or December).
Wow...that's pretty devastating. How long must people in Gainesville wait for basic infrastructure? There are a lot of votes in Gainesville, and the commonwealth's not hurting for money like a lot of other states are. It's pretty inexcusable that this is the case. They'll build a million houses in an area because developers will throw bags of money at them and promise the world, not to mention raise their own tax revenue, but when it actually comes to spending money so that those people can get around, the pace is completely glacial.
GainesvilleNoob

Canton, MI

#4492 Jan 30, 2013
Gainesville wrote:
Went to Grafton Street tonight for grand opening. I was unhappy with the new layout, bar is small, they took out more then half of the TV's $5.00 beers for happy hour just not the olace I was expecting. Will not go back
Isn't that the point though? Clearly the Bar atmosophere hasn't done well there. I would rather have a nicer dining experience than another bar, if you want a bar with TV's go to bdubs... if they have good steaks I'll go.
Former Resident

Herndon, VA

#4493 Jan 30, 2013
Moved wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...that's pretty devastating. How long must people in Gainesville wait for basic infrastructure? There are a lot of votes in Gainesville, and the commonwealth's not hurting for money like a lot of other states are. It's pretty inexcusable that this is the case. They'll build a million houses in an area because developers will throw bags of money at them and promise the world, not to mention raise their own tax revenue, but when it actually comes to spending money so that those people can get around, the pace is completely glacial.
Well transportation projects are getting done in the area and a lot has improved in the 5 years since I moved there, but of course there could always be more. I'm not sure what the reason for the delays are, I just check their project pages every once in a while since I own a place right there. The 66/15 interchange project is still in the design phase I believe but I always thought if things were that far along funding was already secured. I also think VDOT can do a better job of updating some of those pages. For instance the 66 widening is supposed to start at some point this year but they haven't updated their page for it since last summer. Just a general idea of when it's supposed to start would be nice.
Jay

Halethorpe, MD

#4494 Jan 30, 2013
Random input
I live off bristow road fios started about 6-8 months ago and have finally began connecting everything together. First they dug the coax, then i started to notice 4x4 green boxes in the ground, next to the Electricity poles were strung up cable from fios with orange caps on the ends which has sat for a few months as well. They trimmed trees a month ago and i noticed this week they where back closer to my house so i asked them how much longer they think the process has left based on what they have left to do and they said should be another 3 weeks. Hopefully i will have thier services soon ive waited 5 years for a provider, been waiting for fios to be complete for 8 months. Hoping lol cause its 2013 who doesnt have internet haha
New Baltimore Guy

Warrenton, VA

#4495 Jan 31, 2013
Gainesville wrote:
I'll definately go back. Took the wife there Tue night not realizing it was their "soft" opening. I had the New York Strip Steak and she has the Fish and Chips. I will say, and I'm a tough critic, both were excellent. This just might be the "almost" fine dining experience we've been begging for. It is not a sports bar for sure, but they will get the crowd in as long as the food and service remains what I experienced. The actual bar is smaller, but that is offset by the additonal bar table tops. I like the setting, but I wasnt paying attn to the bar prices either...so valid point.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#4496 Feb 6, 2013
Vint Hill Guy wrote:
Saw them doing some survey work at the Gardner site on 29 this morning. So, looks like things might be finally moving ahead with that parcel.
Finally the building on the site is being torn down and they are milling the large parking lot where are the trailers used to sit. As sad as it is to say it will actually be nice to finally have back a McD's in Gainesville.
Former Resident

Herndon, VA

#4497 Feb 6, 2013
Former Resident wrote:
VDOT updated their project page for the 66/15 interchange on Friday. From the looks of it, everything is getting pushed back at least six months. The public meeting that was scheduled for last Fall but never happened is now sometime this Spring. Worse yet, the construction start of 2014 now says 2015.
The 66 widening page still hasn't been touched in a few months and their page with the design rankings doesn't show a company being awarded the contract yet (which I believe was supposed to happen back in November or December).
Just an update from this post, I guess it was mentioned in the Haymarket town meeting on Monday night that VDOT plans on holding the public hearing for the 66/15 project around the third week of March and will advertise it once the date is set.
Gainesville dude

Baltimore, MD

#4498 Feb 10, 2013
GainesvilleNoob wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that the point though? Clearly the Bar atmosophere hasn't done well there. I would rather have a nicer dining experience than another bar, if you want a bar with TV's go to bdubs... if they have good steaks I'll go.
I did Happy Hour Friday at Grafton Street and they had a great crowd by about 6:00pm. Had the Tex-Mex Rolls and Calamari which were both good. I believe I read that their Miller Lite was $3 bucks a glass. Might have to do dinner soon! This place has possibilities!
Old Gainesville

Clinton, MD

#4499 Feb 10, 2013
Vint Hill Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally the building on the site is being torn down and they are milling the large parking lot where are the trailers used to sit. As sad as it is to say it will actually be nice to finally have back a McD's in Gainesville.
McDs will be open sometime in June barring any site issues!

Gainesville, VA

#4500 Feb 13, 2013
Looks like they actually started work on the buildings at the Promenade site finally. Seems like some of the walls are starting to go up. Things should move pretty fast now I would think in terms of construction.
bjoneill

Washington, DC

#4501 Feb 13, 2013
I noticed that this AM too. Maybe we'll get more announcements soon.
Mike

Clinton, MD

#4502 Feb 14, 2013
I noticed that there is a cemetery where the trees are in the Promenade across where the movie theater will be. It is going to be very interesting to see peoples reaction after leaving the theater late night after watching a horror flick!?!?!?!
Former Resident

Clairton, PA

#4503 Feb 15, 2013
VDOT is holding a public hearing for the 66/15 project on March 20 from 6-8pm at Battlefield High School. Looks like it's going to be pretty similar to the one held at the same exact time last year, with displays of the two proposed builds and people there to answer questions. This should be the last one before they approve one of the two designs, but it looks like we'll have to wait until late next year before any work starts.

Gainesville, VA

#4504 Feb 15, 2013
Not exciting news, but looks like one of those 2 empty pad spots near the 7-11 in VA Gateway is going to be a bank:

http://eservice.pwcgov.org/planning/documents...

So that leaves only one pad left in that small section ("Gateway Crossing") and with GolfSmith going in only one box left in the "Gateway Commons" section. So the Promenade seems to have been getting everything finally moving in that vicinity. Hopefully we get more Promenade announcements soon as well...

Gainesville, VA

#4505 Feb 15, 2013
Sorry, link in previous post doesn't seem to work. But it is going to be a Fauquier Bank...
bjoneill

Washington, DC

#4506 Feb 15, 2013
@Mike - They've known about the cemetery. It doesn't seem like it will be very visible from the plans.

It doesn't stop people from going into the Giant shopping center. There's a Cemetery there by the ABC store.

Gainesville, VA

#4507 Feb 15, 2013
Also noticed that they raised the prices in Wentworth Green recently. Cheapest now seems to be from the mid $420's, where just a few weeks ago they were starting from the $390's.

http://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-home/our-c...

DC area real estate is going up across the board as well supposedly, but I think with the Promenade going in now this should really help Gainesville area real estate.
Sarah

Gainesville, VA

#4508 Feb 15, 2013
Gainesville Guy wrote:
Not exciting news, but looks like one of those 2 empty pad spots near the 7-11 in VA Gateway is going to be a bank:
http://eservice.pwcgov.org/planning/documents...
So that leaves only one pad left in that small section ("Gateway Crossing") and with GolfSmith going in only one box left in the "Gateway Commons" section. So the Promenade seems to have been getting everything finally moving in that vicinity. Hopefully we get more Promenade announcements soon as well...
Is Golfsmith still a sure thing? I was driving by a few days ago and noticed there is still a "for lease" sign in the window where Linens and Things used to be...or is it going in where World Market was?

Gainesville, VA

#4509 Feb 15, 2013
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Golfsmith still a sure thing? I was driving by a few days ago and noticed there is still a "for lease" sign in the window where Linens and Things used to be...or is it going in where World Market was?
Yeah it is official, it is also on VA Gateway interactive map on their old VA Gateway website. It is the old World Market spot so not directly next to Sports Authority but one spot over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haymarket Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Goodwill to Open Centreville Store August 5th Aug 1 DCGoodwill 1
Construction worker Jul '17 Steve 1
Victory Lakes / Bristow (Aug '06) Jun '17 youngdreamer 103
News Obama joins private golf club in Virginia Jun '17 I See the Light 21
News Joint committee takes aim at Prince William's 2... May '17 Bob Martin 1
Atlantic Research Corporation (May '14) Mar '17 Guest 4
News The next step in bringing VRE to Haymarket & Ga... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Kiwuji 1

Haymarket Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Haymarket Mortgages