Sarah

Bristow, VA

#2466 Sep 3, 2010
I agree Mike! Since you mentioned price--if that's what's keeping someone from trying either of these restaurants, I know of a couple discounts available.

Restaurant.com offers a Desiderios. Sign up for restaurant.com 's mailing list and they'll email you coupon codes!

Also, the "clipper" advertisement magazine that comes in your mail--usually has coupons for Desiderios. I think the one I received a few days ago had a coupon for 15% off total bill. They also have something called "clipper cash". You clip out the coupons to receive $2/$10 purchase,$5/$25 purchase,$10/$50 purchase,$20/$100 purchase. This "clipper cash" is valid at several local restaurants, including Desiderios and Nora.:)
VP Resident

United States

#2467 Sep 7, 2010
does anyone know the time frame on the towncenter being built? when are they breaking ground?
Gainesville Guy

Gainesville, VA

#2468 Sep 7, 2010
VP Resident wrote:
does anyone know the time frame on the towncenter being built? when are they breaking ground?
Don't have any inside info on it but if you are referring to the Village Place Town Center it is probably a long way off still. Even Peterson is having trouble moving forward with the final phase of Virginia Gateway given the state of the economy. Once Virginia Gateway is finished, which could be years yet, then maybe Village Place has a chance...
Gainesville Guy

Gainesville, VA

#2469 Sep 8, 2010
Saw a sign in Gainesville Square (where Noras and Afghan Kabob are) for a new Japanese restaurant coming soon ("Shogun").

Not sure what to think of it. We have 2 Japanese Steakhouses already but if it focusses on sushi and more traditional Japanese fare there might be a place for it?

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2470 Sep 10, 2010
Gainesville Guy wrote:
Saw a sign in Gainesville Square (where Noras and Afghan Kabob are) for a new Japanese restaurant coming soon ("Shogun").
Not sure what to think of it. We have 2 Japanese Steakhouses already but if it focusses on sushi and more traditional Japanese fare there might be a place for it?
I tell you, whatever opens in that spot just keeps having trouble. First it was Chinese, now Korean, and soon to be Japaneese. It think it just isn't a good spot for a restaurant.
Gainesville Guy

Washington, DC

#2471 Sep 10, 2010
Not sure I agree: Noras does VERY well in that center and Afghan Kabob has a constant stream of people as well.

The Chinese restaurant that was there I tried once and did not like. Food was mediocre and tables were cramped. The Korean restaurant I never bothered to try because the prices seemed way too high for what you got.

Of course, if this Japanese restaurant doesnt offer anything better or different than Musashi then it will fail as well.

If you want to talk bad locations then look at the center where Ned's is. I bet more than half of Gainesville doesn't even know where it is and they've been open for a couple years now I think...
Gainesville Guy

Washington, DC

#2472 Sep 10, 2010
Sorry for the typo: Zeds not Neds...
MikeT

Gainesville, VA

#2473 Sep 10, 2010
That Korean restaurant was not very good. It wasn't bad, just so average that I don't even remember what I had... THAT memorable. Places like that just don't do well - there is no reason to return to them.

Gainesville, VA

#2474 Sep 12, 2010
Gainesville Guy wrote:
If you want to talk bad locations then look at the center where Ned's is. I bet more than half of Gainesville doesn't even know where it is and they've been open for a couple years now I think...
Agreed - hard to imagine a worse location than what Zed's has. Of course, even the main businesses in that complex, the ones actually on 55, had trouble, so I can only imagine how rough it must be for those tucked in the back...
Tara

Bristow, VA

#2475 Sep 12, 2010
Wondering what everyone thinks of a possible sports card shop opening in the area. Do you think the demand is high? Would there be a profit made? Comments? Thoughts?
NatsFan

Gainesville, VA

#2476 Sep 14, 2010
I think Sports Cards businesses had their prime a few years ago. It seems like all the good ones have closed down, and, according to their owners, business just slowed down. I think in most transactions, profit margins are low and it is hard to sell enough to cover the overhead costs and keep a current inventory. With the economy the way it is, I am not sure that I would jump into a low profit margin business that depends on discretionary spending. Look at other businesses in the area with small charge per transaction - coffee shops, bead or craft shops, comic book stores, etc. Good luck and if you do jump in, I'll stop by

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#2477 Sep 14, 2010
I'd guess that ebay and online shops have made the small specialty shops obsolete.
I'm not a collector myself, but the same holds true for pet stores, music stores, hobby stores etc..
They've either been taken over by big chains or the internet.

It's a shame as the employees at a chain aren't generally very knowledgeable at minimum wage (which is the same problem with restaurant wait staff), and the on-line shops are all automated with product descriptions coming straight from the manufacturers and product reviews (I call them knee jerk reaction reviews) skewed by consumers that might not know what they're doing/talking about etc..
AKB

Haymarket, VA

#2478 Sep 14, 2010
Tara wrote:
Wondering what everyone thinks of a possible sports card shop opening in the area. Do you think the demand is high? Would there be a profit made? Comments? Thoughts?
I think we could use a sports equipment resale shop. There was a franchise called Play It Again Sam that did that kind of thing.(I think I saw it in Texas.) Just a thought.
ja Bristow

Haymarket, VA

#2479 Sep 15, 2010
There is an AKA Sushi going in near the Harris Teeter at corner of Linton Hall & Nokesvill Rd

Gainesville, VA

#2480 Sep 15, 2010
In terms of actually getting around town, does anyone know how to interpret the "Rt 55 is closing on or about September 20" signs? How extensive of a closure are we talking?
Wondering

Haymarket, VA

#2481 Sep 16, 2010
From VDOT:

What's Being Done

The project to improve the Route 29/Linton Hall Road interchange is one of the largest Linton Hall Video Still of Renderingconstruction projects in Virginia.

The centerpiece of the project is a pair of overpasses: one carrying Route 29 over the Norfolk Southern Railroad, and one carrying Linton Hall and Gallerher roads over the railroad and Route 29. To further improve traffic flow, crews will also widen Route 29 to six lanes and eliminate driveway entrances and two traffic signals between I-66 and Virginia Oaks Drive.

The new, grade-separated interchange at Route 29/Linton Hall Road will create a limited-access facility on Route 29 between Virginia Oaks Drive and Heathcote Boulevard.

Detour Road
Before construction of the new interchange begins, crews will construct two temporary detour roads (PDF view map) to carry both Route 29 and Linton Hall Road around the interchange for the duration of the project.

Construction of the temporary roads and access roads is expected to take about two years. Drivers will be informed of the new traffic pattern well before the road is open to traffic.
LuvGainesville

Arlington, VA

#2482 Sep 18, 2010
ja Bristow wrote:
There is an AKA Sushi going in near the Harris Teeter at corner of Linton Hall & Nokesvill Rd
I also saw a new Thai Restaurant going in there also next to ABC store. SO EXCITED!! Hopefully one of the better ones around!
New to Area

Warrenton, VA

#2483 Sep 24, 2010
Looking for recommendations for a Family Doctor...
Kab

Haymarket, VA

#2484 Sep 24, 2010
New to Area wrote:
Internal medicine at Lake Manassas. Dr Esther Bahk.
FYI

Warrenton, VA

#2485 Sep 24, 2010
New to Area wrote:
Piedmont Family Medicine. Dr. Gagliano or Dr. Ward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haymarket Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charity Bike Ride October 11th to Support Serve... Sep 17 gwarnock 1
Tree sales to benefit SIDS organization (Dec '08) Sep 13 Cricket 3
Kentucky robbed tonight at Swamp Sep 13 Perception is Rea... 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Sep 13 Tony 1,358
Bristow man faces sodomy, rape charges (May '12) Sep 6 YOU ARE WRONG 31
looking for preschool (Aug '11) Sep 2 Jesie 20
helicopters Aug 28 anon 3
•••
Haymarket Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Haymarket Jobs

•••
•••
•••