world gym gainesville
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hymrktmom

Gainesville, VA

#1 Jul 22, 2009
Does anyone have a membership to World Gym in Gainesville? I'm looking to return to working out there and wanted to try and haggle for my rates and was wondering what rates they had given others. I belonged before but d/c'ed membership due to pregnancy complications. After leaving I learned that my sister had a much lower rate than I did. I don't want to make that mistake again. Thanks!
World Gym Member

Gainesville, VA

#2 Aug 2, 2009
I signed up for 2 years in Jan. 2008 for $347.00. Worked out to less than $14.50/month but it had to be paid in full. I believe they are still offering similar deals, but I would be careful committing to a long-term membership as I've heard rumors of financial troubles.
World Gym Member Too

Haymarket, VA

#3 Aug 10, 2009
I have one...I was working out at the WORLD GYM in Gainesville tonight. A friend told me they are selling and asked if I had heard that. I have been running outdoors during the summer and haven't utilized it much lately. I confronted the Personal Trainer at the front desk. He looked around to see who I might have been talking to. He told me who was buying the World Gym--but my memory escapes me. I asked another person and told her I hope they aren't taking any more contracts and I asked when they were going to let customers know. She understood how I felt. The gym has been going downhill. It is the worst gym I have ever belonged to. BUT, it is close. I have lived all over the world and USA, and it has been the worst managed gym I have ever witnessed. I signed up the for $347 too. Just be careful signing up until you know you will get money back when they sell.
World Gym Member Too

Haymarket, VA

#4 Aug 10, 2009
Or don't sign up unless you know your contract will forward over.
Hymrktmom

United States

#5 Aug 23, 2009
Thanks, after my initial post I also heard rumors of financial troubles so I've elected to wait on joining. When is this area going to get a decent, full-service gym (classes, child care, trainers, etc.)? I don't want to have to drive all the way to Manassas to work out!
UhOh

Gainesville, VA

#6 Aug 29, 2009
I was searching for information on what time the World Gym in Gainesvills opens on Sunday and the Gainesville gym is no longer listed on the World Gym site at http://www.worldgym.com/
Then I found this site and heard of the financial trouble rumors. I've noticed some things that may back up these rumors in addition to the gym no longer being listed on the World Gym main site.
The overhead T.V.s at the Gainesville gym have been turned off for the last week and I'm beginning to think that the gym has canceled its Direct TV subscription and not that the satellite equipment is busted.
There are notes in the gym asking customers to excuse the mess while old equipment is being removed to be replaced by new equipment. I haven't seen any new equipment move in yet, but I haven't noticed any old equipment taken out either.
I suspect that on Aug. 31\Sept. 1st we will find out if the gym is being shutdown or if its being purchased by new owners. I still have 7 months left on my membership. I would hate to find out that my membership is canceled and I don't get any money back.

Gainesville, VA

#7 Aug 31, 2009
there were rumors that Sport and health was buying the gym but I don't think the sale has gone through yet.

I have been submitting requests on Lifetime Fitness' website for a year now---I agree, we NEED something better out here!

“VA Oaks Guy”

Since: May 08

Gainesville, VA

#8 Aug 31, 2009
My wife did take that $350 membership for 2 years and she stopped going.

I also heard from friends its shutting down.

To decided to go with Snaptfitness today and enrolled on a month-by-month program (no contract).

I'll post back next week to tell you how it goes!
An avid gym buff

Gainesville, VA

#9 Sep 5, 2009
O that's all sad to hear about the downfall of this health club in Gainesville, VA. I haven't been there in a while 'cos of my injury. Now that I am ready to go back to this gym, I hear such stories that makes me think I shouldn't have signed that long term contract. Today is Saturday and I was excited to go back for some workout. I got up very early & simply wanted to find out the time they open in the mornings. Their website was shut down and then I came across these postings. Will be there in next 1 hr to see the current state as on 9/5/09. I will later post my findings. Keep on working out...whether at this club or elsewhere. Cheers!
Gym Mom

United States

#10 Sep 9, 2009
Just leaving. Took summer off, equipment in even worse shape, no new equipment yet... Talked to employee who said Sport & Health just finalizing details with lease and plans are to finish out last 2 years here as new location is built somewhere near Heathcote... My membership runs out soon so I hope they change hands quickly so I can decide weather to renew or look elsewhere...
G-VilleGrl

Glen Burnie, MD

#11 Sep 11, 2009
Don't even get me started. I signed up for a trainer package last year. All the trainers that I worked with quit and arrangements were not made to replace them, so numerous times (too many to count), I showed up to not have a trainer available. I got the same story each time that they were "let go" and that they were supposed to have called me to make arrangements. I went through 7 trainers in about 8 months. I talked to managers and even the "owner" numerous times who both refused to give my money back, but continued to assign me incompetent trainers who continued to leave and swore they would make up missed paid sessions and give many more for my trouble but never did.
Do not join here, I know many other people who had problems as well. It is obvious they are in financial trouble as they stopped offering towels months ago, satellite radio was cut off, and I noticed now the TV, and most recently, Juiced, the smoothie bar was closed so you can't even buy a bottle of water. It's not worth saving a couple of bucks on the membership, though unfortunately, there aren't many gyms in the area.
Member from Manassas days

United States

#12 Sep 17, 2009
They still don't have the TVs on as of yesterday, though I was told last week they'd be on by this week. I did notice they actually fixed the broken treadmills which have been down for awhile so I guess there's some hope.
Wally

Fairfax, VA

#13 Sep 25, 2009
Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center has everything you need. You should try there!
Gainesville Member

Washington, DC

#14 Sep 25, 2009
This World Gym facility has been sold to Sport & Health. But while waiting for the deal to close, such services as TV and towels stopped - apparently due to the desperate financial status of its pre-sale owners. The TV's were still off last week when I was last there. I have been to other S&H gyms, and found them to be well-operated. So maybe things will improve when the deal closes.
hymrktmom

Gainesville, VA

#15 Sep 25, 2009
Freedom Center is just too far of a drive for me to make with 2 little ones. Dealing with 66 at any time of the day that works for me is too hectic. I am hoping the Snap Fitness that just opened in the plaza in Gainesville where Bonefish is will be good enough to tide me over until S&H gets itself together or another better gym opens up.
Gainesville Member

Washington, DC

#16 Sep 26, 2009
Gainesville Member wrote:
This World Gym facility has been sold to Sport & Health. But while waiting for the deal to close, such services as TV and towels stopped - apparently due to the desperate financial status of its pre-sale owners. The TV's were still off last week when I was last there. I have been to other S&H gyms, and found them to be well-operated. So maybe things will improve when the deal closes.
Follow up: I am told by an instructor there that the deal is done, and the TV's are back on. They are in the process of cleaning and fixing everything.
me in gainesville

Haymarket, VA

#17 Sep 26, 2009
Gainesville Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Follow up: I am told by an instructor there that the deal is done, and the TV's are back on. They are in the process of cleaning and fixing everything.
I just went to "Sport and Health" gym. They took over yesterday according to the new as. manager. The TVs are on and the place looks pretty good, but I think the rates are going to be higher than folks paid in the past. I was quoted $40 per month for a year contract.
Get Fit in Gainesville

Washington, DC

#18 Oct 9, 2009
Wow, just went to the gym and it's amazing. Everything is working, clean & they are here to stay. Prices are reasonable, especially for what you get. Trainers are excellent & friendly.
Nice to finally see solid staff there. Check it out.
peterbuiltbigrig

Washington, DC

#19 Oct 13, 2009
The gym is awesome now. we got our sunday lifting group back together and now we are training for our show in December. Patrick the personal trainer guy was cool to. the bike room is all working again to. really a different place now. nice to see management there all the time. i swear the guy that signed me up, Dave, is always there!
Donna

Fairfax, VA

#20 Jul 29, 2010
Any comments beyond Oct. 2009?

I'm contemplating joining Gainesville Sport & Health. Anyone have any comments to offer about what my experience with the contract and facilities will be? Thank you.:) d.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haymarket Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Towncenter in Gainesville VA (Sep '06) 9 hr Crewdog5 5,293
News Salcedo Guilty of Larceny (Nov '08) May 29 Parker 3
Good seafood? May 27 Poppy 2
Parks at Piedmont (Sep '08) May 26 Curious 417
News Police: Tiff Between Neighbors Turns Violent May 24 realinvestor 2
News 32-mile cross-county walk to raise funds for ch... May 16 kab 1
Wentworth Green Community Yard Sale (Jun '14) May 15 wentworth green 4
More from around the web

Haymarket People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE