Lake Manassas Academy or Chesterbrook...

Lake Manassas Academy or Chesterbrook Academy

Posted in the Haymarket Forum

Haymarket Mom

Woodbridge, VA

#1 Oct 19, 2011
Does anyone have any feedback on either of these schools? We are looking for a preschool for our child that will also do private kindergarten since he does miss the cut off for kindergarten in the county. What do you like/dislike about each school? What are teacher ratios and teacher turnover rates? Academic curriculum?
Sarah

Gainesville, VA

#2 Oct 20, 2011
Have you considered Winwood? We sent out 2 younger sons there for pre-school and were thrilled with it. Unfortunately, we could not afford to continue there for Kindergarten, but I've heard other parents were very pleased with the Kindergarten there as well.
Mamasan

Haymarket, VA

#3 Oct 25, 2011
Haymarket Mom wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback on either of these schools? We are looking for a preschool for our child that will also do private kindergarten since he does miss the cut off for kindergarten in the county. What do you like/dislike about each school? What are teacher ratios and teacher turnover rates? Academic curriculum?
I toured Lake Manassas Academy a few months ago. It seemed like a decent program but the teachers for the toddler classes had only been there 2 months and 8months at the time. I felt uneasy about the turnover and had to question why they didn't have long term employees.

Not to mention, their teachers didn't have college degrees. I was looking for a more education based preschool vs. play based but that is just my personal preference.

I have heard good things from friends who have used Winwood as well.

Good luck!
Tammy

Centreville, VA

#4 Oct 25, 2011
I have a friend who's son went to the Lake Manassas Academy and he loved it. He's now in kindergarten but still goes there after school.
Erin

Bristow, VA

#5 Dec 3, 2012
My children started at Lake Manassas Academy August 2012 when we moved to the area. I have a Kindergartner, 3 year old preschooler, and 10 month old infant. We are very satisfied with the school and the staff. Almost all of the teachers in the school know all three of my kids and call out to them by name every morning; likewise, my kids know all the teachers and classrooms and feel very comfortable here. The classrooms are wonderfully designed and well equipped for the kids. The preschoolers change classes, which enables the teachers in each room to focus on different learning areas (3 rooms - math & science, language & literacy, family life). It is a great program. The K class is also super and my daughter is thriving in the smaller environment of a private Kindergarten. Lastly, my 10-m.o. has special needs (limb difference) and the school has been great about reading through her IFSP, coordinating a meeting with the early intervention OT to better understand what they can do to help her adapt, and is willing to purchase extra things needed to help her adapt and grow.

We initially visited in March 2012 as we knew we would be moving to the area and since that time, they got a new K-teacher and the principal (wonderful) left. I was amazed to see how seamlessly that transition went, the school explained the teachers reasons for leaving (K wanted county job with retirement and principal wanted to be closer to home), found a great new K-teacher, and the administrators picked up the slack quickly left by the vacancy. The school overall has very low turnover. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a great daycare/preschool/kindergarten .
Haysnooze

Haymarket, VA

#6 Dec 3, 2012
If your child isn't eligible for K in PWCS, I don't think you can enroll him in a private K and then put him in 1st the following. I think he would still be in K that following year. I could be wrong, but something you probably want to investigate a little more.
Haymarket Mom

Stafford, VA

#7 Dec 3, 2012
Incorrect Haysnooze. You can enroll in a private K and move to 1st in the county the following year.

As for the teacher turnover rate at Lake Manassas, it was VERY high last year. I am not sure if it is any better now that the principal has left, but I know many teachers were not happy there. In some classrooms there was a new teacher every month.
Bristow Mom

Washington, DC

#8 Dec 4, 2012
Here is the county site that lists any violations a center might have. It doesn't tell you if a place is good or not but will let you know if there are a number of complaints against it or if they have a lot of violations.

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/facility/search/c...
Rukia

Alexandria, VA

#9 Mar 16, 2015
Lake Manassas Academy has a high number of staff turnovers and lack of qualified teachers. Administration is run by a family concerned about making money. Two of my girls went there and was treated horribly. Use caution.
Rukia

Alexandria, VA

#10 Mar 16, 2015
Agree!
Mamasan wrote:
<quoted text>
I toured Lake Manassas Academy a few months ago. It seemed like a decent program but the teachers for the toddler classes had only been there 2 months and 8months at the time. I felt uneasy about the turnover and had to question why they didn't have long term employees.
Not to mention, their teachers didn't have college degrees. I was looking for a more education based preschool vs. play based but that is just my personal preference.
I have heard good things from friends who have used Winwood as well.
Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haymarket Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Towncenter in Gainesville VA (Sep '06) Thu Wentworth Green 5,653
Wentworth Green: Pros / Cons (Sep '16) Dec 27 designer4divas 8
Weeping Willow Nov '17 Post Reply 1
News After Russia's election interference, pulling b... Nov '17 anonz 3
bestbppace to go trick or treating in gainesville Oct '17 red wing 1
Construction worker (Jul '17) Jul '17 Steve 1
Victory Lakes / Bristow (Aug '06) Jun '17 youngdreamer 103

Haymarket Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance