@Ialerts1: TRAIN INCIDENT 17:40 LOC:14100 B/O LEE HIGHWAY - GAINESVILLE,VA : ...

Posted in the Haymarket Forum

Roy

Gainesville, VA

#1 Feb 20, 2013
45 min detour
dude

Haymarket, VA

#2 Feb 20, 2013
aHHHHHAHHAHAHAHA

Baltimore, MD

#3 Feb 20, 2013
What is going on in Gainesville?
what

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Feb 21, 2013
Randy wrote:
Truck wasn't stopped on tracks, was processing south with no train crossing down and traffic moving. Train struck truck due to malfunctioning rail arms.
Damn ninja trains coming out of nowhere and jumping the tracks to ram vehicles not stopped on them.
what

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Feb 21, 2013
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
You really needed to be there to see first hand that the arms were not down, no lights flashing and no train movement at all. As traffic moved south and was crossing tracks, trains comes through during rush hour traffic at maximum speed. One would think the speed would be at a safe speed at all times expecially during high traffic times. Also you need to do some background work and see this particular track has been an issue for many years, all the more reason to reduce speed?
I'll wait until I see from other sources that the crossing gate was somehow broken before I believe it. I know there are people who have been clipped by trains at that crossing in the past and still to this day deny doing anything wrong. They seem to think that as long as their car isn't sitting directly on the track that they're fine.

The more likely scenario is that people are lane hopping and in a rush to get down 29 during afternoon rush hour, then everything unexpectedly stops and they are unfortunately on or very near the tracks. I see this all the time, especially in Northern VA where most drivers are impatient to begin with. I bet these train conductors can't wait until that interchange is done and they don't have to worry about ramming idiots in cars anymore.
Pat

Marshall, VA

#8 Feb 22, 2013
yes this crossing has been an issue for a while and will continue to be an issue because some people are too stupid to read and heed the MANY warnings. Signs, lines on the road, gate, bells, and flashing lights. Anyone who stops on the tracks or too close to the tracks deserves what they get.

Every day thousands of drivers cross these tracks without incident. Only a few get hit and only they claim the warning systems failed. The drivers failed.

Anybody who gets hit by a train should never be allowed to drive again.
Bristow Mom

Centreville, VA

#9 Feb 22, 2013
Friend was driving through there when it happened. The truck was stopped on the tracks - didn't clear it before being stopped at the light. Before the light changed the train came - hit the truck off the tracks. The train in turn hit several other cars. She saw it happened.
Va oaks

Haymarket, VA

#10 Feb 23, 2013
That's how it always happens. Instead of stopping at the white markings, people creep up in hopes that the light changes.
Bristow Mom wrote:
Friend was driving through there when it happened. The truck was stopped on the tracks - didn't clear it before being stopped at the light. Before the light changed the train came - hit the truck off the tracks. The train in turn hit several other cars. She saw it happened.
TMN1

Silver Spring, MD

#11 Feb 25, 2013
Va oaks wrote:
That's how it always happens. Instead of stopping at the white markings, people creep up in hopes that the light changes.
<quoted text>
And then whoever it was that got hit blames the traffic signals, or says there wasn't enough warnings in place!!! Then they add more traffic signs and warnings saying don't cross the tracks until you can get clear of them on the other side, and the cycle repeats!
Mark

Laurel, MD

#12 Feb 25, 2013
I already posted on this in another thread. This is the fourth accident since Jan 2012. There is no solution to low IQ.
kab

Alexandria, VA

#13 Feb 26, 2013
4 accidents since Jan 2012? Maybe they are just waiting for somebody to die before doing something more drastic. I think they should put more burden on those trains rather than expect the drivers to clear those tracks in traffic jam / red light/ poor visibility situations. Perhabs the train should be prohibited from driving through during rush hours. Maybe the solution would be to force the trains to stop every single time they are about to cross 29 (during rush hours) to give the potential stuck vehicles time to clear. How about put the signs for trains - not to proceed untill cleared? It's so easy to get stuck on those tracks. The crossing is set up for failure with the angle and lights ahead. It's radiculous that all the blame is placed on the drivers and none on the speeding train. Is it one train coming through during rush hour? Maybe 2? I know about the one at about 4pm. One train to stop before crossing, is it too much to ask?
Pat

Washington, DC

#14 Feb 26, 2013
kab: if your comments are serious then you are as stupid as the drivers who get hit by the trains.

Flashing lights, multiple signs, bells, crossing gates, lines on the road and a temporary sign bigger than a truck. What more can be done to keep the stupid drivers from stopping on the tracks?

You have to prove you can drive and follow the rules and read the signs before you get a driver's license.

Any driver who stops on the tracks, despite the many, many warnings, deserves what they get.

Stop blaming everyone else, accept the responsibility that comes with a driver's license.
Huh

Fairfax, VA

#15 Feb 26, 2013
kab wrote:
4 accidents since Jan 2012? Maybe they are just waiting for somebody to die before doing something more drastic. I think they should put more burden on those trains rather than expect the drivers to clear those tracks in traffic jam / red light/ poor visibility situations. Perhabs the train should be prohibited from driving through during rush hours. Maybe the solution would be to force the trains to stop every single time they are about to cross 29 (during rush hours) to give the potential stuck vehicles time to clear. How about put the signs for trains - not to proceed untill cleared? It's so easy to get stuck on those tracks. The crossing is set up for failure with the angle and lights ahead. It's radiculous that all the blame is placed on the drivers and none on the speeding train. Is it one train coming through during rush hour? Maybe 2? I know about the one at about 4pm. One train to stop before crossing, is it too much to ask?
Is this is really a serious post?
Trains are not like a Toyota Prius. Most need at least a full mile to stop AFTER the conductor has hit the brakes. So unfortunately it can't just stop on a dime or swerve out of the way because Patricia got stuck on the tracks again. And I'm sure it's also no big deal that we delay literally hundreds of tons of goods moving from one part of the region to another because Robert forgot that trains are actually wider than the tracks they ride on.
kab

Gainesville, VA

#16 Feb 26, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this is really a serious post?
Trains are not like a Toyota Prius. Most need at least a full mile to stop AFTER the conductor has hit the brakes. So unfortunately it can't just stop on a dime or swerve out of the way because Patricia got stuck on the tracks again. And I'm sure it's also no big deal that we delay literally hundreds of tons of goods moving from one part of the region to another because Robert forgot that trains are actually wider than the tracks they ride on.
You're right, let's kill the stupid Patricia and forgetful Robert and delay the so called valuable tons of goods by 6 more hours while the accident clears. Who is the moron here? Apparently those signs and markings don't work, so unless you have a better idea, go back to watching Thomas to increase your impressive knowledge of trains. It's big, heavy and wide....duh...
Huh

United States

#17 Feb 26, 2013
kab wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, let's kill the stupid Patricia and forgetful Robert and delay the so called valuable tons of goods by 6 more hours while the accident clears. Who is the moron here? Apparently those signs and markings don't work, so unless you have a better idea, go back to watching Thomas to increase your impressive knowledge of trains. It's big, heavy and wide....duh...
What amuses me is how you continue to play Patricia and Robert as poor victims of some kind of malicious setup that's out to get them and deflecting the fact that their negligence caused the accident in the first place. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt or killed but most agree those that get hit by trains lack common sense.
kab

Gainesville, VA

#18 Feb 26, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
What amuses me is how you continue to play Patricia and Robert as poor victims of some kind of malicious setup that's out to get them and deflecting the fact that their negligence caused the accident in the first place. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt or killed but most agree those that get hit by trains lack common sense.
I'm glad we agree that nobody wants to see anyone get hurt. Now, do you know how to fix it? The drivers in those accidents were not Gainesville residents who know that tricky intersection in and out. They were simply stopped by the red light on Linton Hall, but you have to know that to expect it. There is no sign there to stop before the tracks, only unless the light flashes. So you follow the traffic through and then, expecially if you don't know the area, you get stuck. So yes, we all know that can happen, because we live here and cross it every day. Do you really think that the markings on the road are going to do something for the out of town trucker? Like he or she stop on those tracks on purpose? That is why, untill we get the over the grade intersection, my idea is to slow down the trains coming through. I hope it's not going to be a schoolbus full of children, that will cause something to change...we all like to be reactive rather than proactive in this country.
Huh

Fairfax, VA

#19 Feb 27, 2013
kab wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad we agree that nobody wants to see anyone get hurt. Now, do you know how to fix it? The drivers in those accidents were not Gainesville residents who know that tricky intersection in and out. They were simply stopped by the red light on Linton Hall, but you have to know that to expect it. There is no sign there to stop before the tracks, only unless the light flashes. So you follow the traffic through and then, expecially if you don't know the area, you get stuck. So yes, we all know that can happen, because we live here and cross it every day. Do you really think that the markings on the road are going to do something for the out of town trucker? Like he or she stop on those tracks on purpose? That is why, untill we get the over the grade intersection, my idea is to slow down the trains coming through. I hope it's not going to be a schoolbus full of children, that will cause something to change...we all like to be reactive rather than proactive in this country.
I was under the impression these cars were getting hit on the crossing at Route 29 and not the one at Route 55.

People need to be aware of their surroundings. There are literally tens of thousands of railroad crossings in this country and not every one is identical. However an overwhelming majority of them have markings of the roadway, flashing lights, and arms that come down. Most people need to pay attention to the road and see where the lines are painted that clearly tell them where not to stop. Truckers have even less of an excuse to get hit considering just how much driving they do.

The fact is people around here tend to be very impatient and aggressive drivers. When someone is commuting from their office in Tysons to their home in Warrenton they don't want to get stuck at the railroad crossing in Gainesville. I understand your commute sucks but that doesn't give you an excuse to stop on or near the tracks in the hope you're on the other side when the train comes. The new interchange will fix all that and nobody will have to deal with the train anymore but in the meantime let's try to not get ourselves killed to save a few minutes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haymarket Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Towncenter in Gainesville VA (Sep '06) May 1 Vint Hill Guy 5,289
Is incest ok? (Feb '12) Apr 29 hotman 21
Gainesville No. 1 on list of Best Cities for Yo... Apr 28 proudresident 1
News Sound off about the Costco proposal on July 26 (Jul '07) Apr 28 Gainesville Elite... 3
News Bristow man faces sodomy, rape charges (May '12) Apr 27 Momma 33
New Stuff Apr 21 Q_gainesville 3
mama mia pizza Apr 21 Gainesville dude 3
More from around the web

Haymarket People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]