dominion valley pool drowning

Posted in the Haymarket Forum

cml

Columbia, SC

#1 Jun 4, 2006
i am sad to report that a young boy, younger than 9 years of age drowned yesterday at the dominion valley pool in haymerket va. i am appauled of this matter due to the lifeguards failure to save this child. the pool is not large by any means and its very disturbing to me that this child could not be saved. it leaves me to wonder...are my kids safe there?

thanks.
gls

AOL

#2 Jun 4, 2006
do you know the actual facts, or are you just going by heresay?
gls

AOL

#3 Jun 4, 2006
I mean facts surrounding the incident.
XYZ

Bethesda, MD

#4 Jun 5, 2006
Do you know if this child attends Alvey E.S.? If so, will there be grief councelors at hand to receive the children this morning?
HMM

Englewood, CO

#5 Jun 5, 2006
I know this child very well, and the family is trying to sort our what exactly happened on Saturday. The arrangements are being made for Jimmy and please keep him and his family in your prayers. It is so sad, and there are so many unanswered questions, first one being why? He was a very vibrant, sharp child who was full of spirit and life. I know we will miss him very much and my kids will miss a friendship that was made for life.
Edy

Montgomery, AL

#7 Apr 14, 2008
What a tragic story. What was the final determination on what happened? What steps were taken to try to prevent this from happening again?
Dude

Manassas, VA

#8 Apr 6, 2010
The boy who drowned was wearing a mask and snorkel, he threw up in the snorkel and died in that manner. Snorkels were not banned from the pools but due to the indecent any toy like that has been banned. Even though the lifeguards should have checked before hand on the children the management of the company was also at fault, at this time the company that did manage the particular pool has been disbanded due to other violations and is the main reason action was not taken quick enoguh to help the boy
Dude

Manassas, VA

#9 Apr 6, 2010
I forget to mention the boy did not act out, it was easy to think he was trying to swim while keeping his head down, also snorkels were banned due to the incident
Dad

Mount Airy, MD

#10 Apr 24, 2010
DUDE.

Whoever you believe you are, you have no clue what the hell you are talking about. You see I know, I am Jimmy's dad. I have spent every minute of the the last nearly four years figuring this out. Stop posting a lies and/or misinformed rumors you know nothing about.
Bristow Mom

Gainesville, VA

#11 Apr 29, 2010
Dad- I am so sorry for your loss, everyone that knows you and your family speaks highly of you. I know everyone in Dominion Valley and here in Victory Lakes is so much more careful at the pool now, unfortunately as a result of your son's drowning. As in all cases there is much misinformation, which is unfortunate and at times hurtful for those personally involved. In the past few years I have heard a number of completely different stories about what happened that day at the baseball team party. The snorkel one mentioned above by dude is the one I hear the most-I am so sorry that you have to deal with people speculating about such an event in your life. I know as a parent we all yearn to know what happened not to be nosy, but rather to protect our children.
I cannot imagine your loss, but do know that it has brought about positive changes in the lives of many- we know know these things can happen to us and people like us.
Roger

Leesburg, VA

#12 Apr 29, 2010
DAD: my deepest sympathies.

Drowning accidents are horrible. Last year, at OBX, a 12 YO child drowned. He was right next to his dad and uncle and just disappared when a wave came. They were not very far off the beach. The teaching from that incident for me is that my kids will always wear life vests at the beach.

So my question is: what can we learn from your loss so that perhaps someone else's life can be saved?
PW family5

Gainesville, VA

#13 May 1, 2010
Roger- we were at the beach in the OBX when that boy was lost, it was awful to see that family searching. It was too hard to go in the water when he was still unaccounted for, we were all so nervous about him being in there, and we were so relieved that he was found so the family could have some closure. I am praying for all of these families.
Alycia

Gainesville, VA

#14 Jul 26, 2010
It wouldnt di anything different woman!! he through up, it was the parents fault for not letting him take a five minute break?? or even ten!!
jonathan

Haymarket, VA

#15 Mar 20, 2012
i was there when it happend i dont know what happend but he was wearing a snorkle maybe that had somthind to do about it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haymarket Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car break-ins Wed Q_gainesville 6
New Towncenter in Gainesville VA (Sep '06) Tue Softball Dad 5,205
Anybodies water bill (SA) go up dramatically wi... Dec 19 GainesvilleMom 3
Parks at Piedmont (Sep '08) Dec 17 Sick of Condo fee 414
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white Dec 17 6038hjdk 1
Gainesville Pei Wei has gone downhill Dec 7 Horrid 3
morning childcare 3/days a week Dec 4 4kaye1 2
Haymarket Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web