tax

Murphy, NC

#1 Apr 3, 2011
The tax office is run by stupid people, in the newspaper Renee said they have small office they don't have time to collect.... Well, why don't they hire somebody. They did never hire for that appraiser job and then they stupid and wanted to hire a tax clerk. And they still haven't hired someone... They are just plain lazy. They are going to lose that position with budget cuts. Then Tammy can run that office
Tax Payer

Cashiers, NC

#2 Dec 4, 2011
Well i can tell you when you renew your tag you receive a tax bill for that vehicle within 30 days and depending on the year and make of that vehicle the taxes can be expensive. If you live here and claim you still live in Florida and run your Florida tag you don't have to pay Clay County taxes on your vehicles. Great!! let the locals pay them!
KnowItAll

Sylva, NC

#3 Dec 5, 2011
I'm sorry but you are both wrong. The Tax Office sends you a tax bill 4 months after you renew a tag or purchase a new one, not within 30 days. And yes, they did hire someone for the appraiser position and she is a very smart and competant person. However, you are right about evading paying taxes in Clay County. But they do catch up with you and can and will charge you. Better to be on the up and up than get a bill plus interest on a vehicle that they can, by law, lockdown and impound for taxes. See,it is slackers like you that make the locals wish you would go back to Florida. Next time before you start talking trash, maybe you should get your facts straight. Seems to me like ya'll are the stupid ones. ;-)
you both wrong

Hayesville, NC

#4 Dec 6, 2011
They didnt hire that girl from that reval company like they said they would ... but shuffled people in the office who never appraised nothing. then hire sombody to take money who new nothingjust like that tammy wanted
KnowItAll

Sylva, NC

#5 Dec 6, 2011
Thank Goodness! Don't you know it's easier to train someone who isn't set in their ways.
Happy Floridain

Franklin, NC

#6 Dec 7, 2011
KnowItAll wrote:
I'm sorry but you are both wrong. The Tax Office sends you a tax bill 4 months after you renew a tag or purchase a new one, not within 30 days. And yes, they did hire someone for the appraiser position and she is a very smart and competant person. However, you are right about evading paying taxes in Clay County. But they do catch up with you and can and will charge you. Better to be on the up and up than get a bill plus interest on a vehicle that they can, by law, lockdown and impound for taxes. See,it is slackers like you that make the locals wish you would go back to Florida. Next time before you start talking trash, maybe you should get your facts straight. Seems to me like ya'll are the stupid ones. ;-)
You are an idiot if you think they can come and get my vehicles! They are taged in Florida and I aint paying your vehicle taxes!
KnowItAll

Sylva, NC

#7 Dec 7, 2011
You don't have to pay mine, because I'm not a theiving slacker like you are!! Unlike you, I take care of my responsibilities and obligations.
Xfinity

Young Harris, GA

#8 Dec 9, 2011
KnowItAll wrote:
See,it is slackers like you that make the locals wish you would go back to Florida. Next time before you start talking trash, maybe you should get.
Go over to the courthouse and follow the paper trail. You can find out who isn't paying property taxes and who isn't paying what they should because of a low-ball evaluation and who the tax liens are against - and people from Florida aren't going to show up there. They all pay full fare, many locals don't because they either can't afford the tariff or else "know someone."

Hell, there are existing houses in the county that have been occupied for years but are taxed as if they're still under construction. And then there is "farm land." That tax break is abused around here like you won't believe.

It's all on computers down there.

Nothing will ever be done about it. The Sheriff is the one who investigates local political corruption so you can guess where that'll lead to - nowhere. The DA only goes after criminal cases and the NC-SBI has to be called in by the SO before they'll get involved.
you both wrong

Hayesville, NC

#10 Dec 9, 2011
they don't even try and make losers pay their back taxes we dont have the time. well if you get your lazy butts and stop yakking all the time you might be to do your job
Xfinity

Young Harris, GA

#11 Dec 9, 2011
you both wrong wrote:
they don't even try and make losers pay their back taxes we dont have the time. well if you get your lazy butts and stop yakking all the time you might be to do your job
Well, the next time you hear someone "supporting" this person or that for public office, they're actually condoning by default that sort of (illegal) behavior, although they'll swear on a stack of Bibles "their man" is the exception.

Men and women, especially ones from a small county where opportunities to pull in big bucks are limited, seek public office for one thing and one thing only - big bucks! Anytime the government undertakes a building project, especially, you can count on some money exchanging hands under the table.

With the new jail, the new sheriff's office, the new court, the new courthouse and the new social services building, some of our "public servants" (actually their husbands or wives) got nice-sized "rewards."
shanghi

Sylva, NC

#12 Dec 9, 2011
Xfinity wrote:
<quoted text>Well, the next time you hear someone "supporting" this person or that for public office, they're actually condoning by default that sort of (illegal) behavior, although they'll swear on a stack of Bibles "their man" is the exception.

Men and women, especially ones from a small county where opportunities to pull in big bucks are limited, seek public office for one thing and one thing only - big bucks! Anytime the government undertakes a building project, especially, you can count on some money exchanging hands under the table.

With the new jail, the new sheriff's office, the new court, the new courthouse and the new social services building, some of our "public servants" (actually their husbands or wives) got nice-sized "rewards."
can you prove this/where is the evidence?
KnowItAll

Sylva, NC

#13 Dec 10, 2011
No, he can't prove it. Want to know why? Because he doesn't know what he's talking about. The Tax Office has guidelines that they have to meet when taxing a property. Obviously, he doesn't know who the Dept of Revenue is.
Xfinity

Young Harris, GA

#14 Dec 10, 2011
shanghi wrote:
<quoted text>
can you prove this/where is the evidence?
Yes.

The evidence is in several places NOT subject to NC-FOIA and only a law enforcement agency can subpoena the necessary documents from the general contractor, banks and corporations, plus those of sub-contractors and/or consultants, which are often corporations, requiring the investigator to bore down still another layer. It’s a complicated and tedious undertaking requiring committing valuable resources and fairly sophisticated accounting skills. The practice is so wide-spread today that law enforcement rarely goes after it unless the bucks are big or the name is high-profile, enough to garner ink and air-time.

There are other ways other people can get the same information but it takes cash “incentives,” perseverance and a lot of experience on the part of the person (and his/her employer) going after the information to get away with it because, yes, it is (mostly) illegal at worst, gray at best. There a lot of short-cuts can be taken because the objective is a news story and not an indictment. Usually, when law enforcement is handed raw intel from a third party, depending on who that party is, meaning do they have juice, they may launch an investigation IF it is sufficient to provide probable cause, an element necessary in order to launch an investigation, IF their budget can stand the strain. Few can these days.

Finding out who isn’t paying property taxes or getting a break is child’s play. All of that information is public record (and in just three departments) and actually on-line, for a price. Real estate brokers, for example, have it available. The question there to ask is, is it worth spending $50,000 for the county to go after a thousand dollar, or less,“instance.” No it isn’t! It would be worth it to go after the elected official but it would cost someone votes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hayesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
coaches ????? 3 hr uct 1
Why is Bobby Coggins news media excluded? 20 hr Goosey Goosey 16
Poindexter (Oct '14) 22 hr Goosey Goosey 13
Discontinuation of Disability Social Security 22 hr Goosey Goosey 6
What's happening with tourism in Macon County? (Feb '13) 22 hr Goosey Goosey 36
blue mountain vapor Fri klegault 3
Hiwasee Valley Pool and Wellness Center (Jun '14) Apr 15 CrabbyAppleton 21
More from around the web

Hayesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE