Man, 33, is shot at Aqueduct Apartmen...

Man, 33, is shot at Aqueduct Apartments -- Crime, Law and Justi...

There are 10 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jun 2, 2008, titled Man, 33, is shot at Aqueduct Apartments -- Crime, Law and Justi.... In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A man was shot multiple times Sunday outside Aqueduct Apartments in what police said may have been an attempted robbery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Mr Hat

Newport News, VA

#1 Jun 2, 2008
Drugs are bad, you see. Only drug deal gone bad!
Life and Death

Hampton, VA

#2 Sep 6, 2009
I am currently leaving this apartment, being evicted, for non compliance of community service. Of course that has nothing to do with ME being a criminal, it's based on them letting us pay less rent, which we used to. Until they raised the rent, and stacked hours against me, knowing I was injured performing those hours to begin with. This neighborhood is a festering ground of drugs, prostitution, and violence. I am sorry for those that have to live here, and find a better place to live. I have a glock 9mm bullet hole in my wall to prove the point of how this place really is....
sad

AOL

#3 Mar 16, 2010
The best advice i can give is do better work hard and get out of this hell hole!!!!!!11
Carrot

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Mar 19, 2010
This problem will not get any better until the people who live there step up and take back their neighborhood. May of the residents know who the trouble makers are but refuse to give information to the police. So the violence, drugs and other illegal things will just keep happening.
The apartment owners need to be held responsible to for some of the mess. They need to invest in a security force to police there property and work with their tenants to build a strong neighborhood watch group.
Put these criminals in jail, who cares if there your neighbors kids, if they break the law they should go to jail.
Everyone has a right to live in a safe place, by allowing these crimianals to keep doing what they do and not stepping up to call the police or give information when something happens you are giving them permission to do what they do.
Krystal

United States

#5 Mar 20, 2010
Carrot wrote:
This problem will not get any better until the people who live there step up and take back their neighborhood. May of the residents know who the trouble makers are but refuse to give information to the police. So the violence, drugs and other illegal things will just keep happening.
The apartment owners need to be held responsible to for some of the mess. They need to invest in a security force to police there property and work with their tenants to build a strong neighborhood watch group.
Put these criminals in jail, who cares if there your neighbors kids, if they break the law they should go to jail.
Everyone has a right to live in a safe place, by allowing these crimianals to keep doing what they do and not stepping up to call the police or give information when something happens you are giving them permission to do what they do.
I have lived in Aqueduct apartments for a little over a year now, there has been 3 altercations leaving 4 people dead since I moved in! I don't know anyone or speak to anyone out here except my neighbor, because of the altercations. I have a two year old and really do not want my baby around things like this. The funny thing about Aqueduct is that they used to have a police sub-station located in the front of the neighborhood, why they took this away, I will never know or understand. Cops around this way are too worried about pulling people over for missing tail lights or blinkers, than patrolling our neighborhood and keeping us safe. Now all they have is a sign that states they the neighborhood is "patrolled" and that all crimes shall be punished to the maximum extent of the law. I think alot of people will not give up the "bad" people because there are more "bad" people where the others came from, and people are scared to try to stand up for themeselves or "snitch" and have someone come after them! Newport News Police officers need to get it together and "protect" as much as they try to "serve"!
Carrot

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Mar 21, 2010
Krystal wrote:
<quoted text>
I have lived in Aqueduct apartments for a little over a year now, there has been 3 altercations leaving 4 people dead since I moved in! I don't know anyone or speak to anyone out here except my neighbor, because of the altercations. I have a two year old and really do not want my baby around things like this. The funny thing about Aqueduct is that they used to have a police sub-station located in the front of the neighborhood, why they took this away, I will never know or understand. Cops around this way are too worried about pulling people over for missing tail lights or blinkers, than patrolling our neighborhood and keeping us safe. Now all they have is a sign that states they the neighborhood is "patrolled" and that all crimes shall be punished to the maximum extent of the law. I think alot of people will not give up the "bad" people because there are more "bad" people where the others came from, and people are scared to try to stand up for themeselves or "snitch" and have someone come after them! Newport News Police officers need to get it together and "protect" as much as they try to "serve"!
I'm sorry you have to live in such a place but expecting the newport news police department to fix all the problems is unrealistic. The owners have a responsibility to your protection too. You pay rent, you have a right to be safe. Unless the owners, police and residents work together your home and the homes of your friends and neighbors will never be safe. It's time someone there stepped up and took back that area. I hope they do soon. I wish you safety.
Star

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Mar 22, 2010
Carrot wrote:
<quoted text> I'm sorry you have to live in such a place but expecting the newport news police department to fix all the problems is unrealistic. The owners have a responsibility to your protection too. You pay rent, you have a right to be safe. Unless the owners, police and residents work together your home and the homes of your friends and neighbors will never be safe. It's time someone there stepped up and took back that area. I hope they do soon. I wish you safety.
You are completely right, NNPD cannot fix everything but there could be some changes...The "owners" are NNRHA, which control quite a few neighborhoods in NN, which are all low income/income based housing. With the stuff happening in Aqueduct and the "dump squad" "taking over" a few neighborhoods downtown NN (which are also NNRHA properties), Who is supposed to fix this problem? It definitley is time that someone stood up for the residents and children in these neighborhoods, but really, who is going to start?
Carrot

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Mar 23, 2010
Star wrote:
<quoted text>
You are completely right, NNPD cannot fix everything but there could be some changes...The "owners" are NNRHA, which control quite a few neighborhoods in NN, which are all low income/income based housing. With the stuff happening in Aqueduct and the "dump squad" "taking over" a few neighborhoods downtown NN (which are also NNRHA properties), Who is supposed to fix this problem? It definitley is time that someone stood up for the residents and children in these neighborhoods, but really, who is going to start?

Why can't the residents of the Aqueduct bring a class action suit against NNRHA charging them with neglect of residents safety? Don't these tenants have a right to live in a safe place?
Don't landlords have to comply with laws requiring them to maintain their properties so that they are clean and safe for the residents who live there?
Whether one lives in a fancy neighborhood or a low income housing area don't they deserve the same level of protection?
AnnoyedWithAqued uct

Hampton, VA

#9 Aug 6, 2010
They do not care. The management is just there for a paycheck. No law firm wants to touch Aqueduct because they are government funded. Its public housing but nobody really tells the truth about it. If you ask me it is also a form of discrimination. I've been all over the place trying to find a lawyer that will sue them due to the fact they are slumlords. Do you think anyone wants to touch it????? Of course not. So do you really think they care about a few people getting killed, shot or stabbed. No they don't. They clean the place up and rent it to the next available. I've been here four years. I've seen a lot of shootings, stabbings, robberies and you name it out here. The management does not care. Its very very very sad.
Prof

Newport News, VA

#10 Aug 6, 2010
AnnoyedWithAqueduct wrote:
They do not care. The management is just there for a paycheck. No law firm wants to touch Aqueduct because they are government funded. Its public housing but nobody really tells the truth about it. If you ask me it is also a form of discrimination. I've been all over the place trying to find a lawyer that will sue them due to the fact they are slumlords. Do you think anyone wants to touch it????? Of course not. So do you really think they care about a few people getting killed, shot or stabbed. No they don't. They clean the place up and rent it to the next available. I've been here four years. I've seen a lot of shootings, stabbings, robberies and you name it out here. The management does not care. Its very very very sad.
LOL........Discrimination. What makes them slumlords....is there no heat...running water....electricity???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hayes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Owner of York County pipe/tobacco lounge arrest... (Nov '13) Mar 23 Martin garey 17
News 8 suspected drug dealers arrested after months-... Mar 23 FredA 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing- Newport News (Aug '16) Mar 22 Kathy R 40
News Facebook Feedback for Saturday, Oct. 22 from Da... (Oct '11) Mar 21 Martin garey 25
That girl Mar 19 Hoodbang 1
News VIMS event explains how animals adapt (Jun '09) Mar 18 Martin garey 3
News Trump Calls for 12-Carrier Navy, Promises Rebui... Mar 7 okimar 2

Hayes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hayes Mortgages