US economy contracted in first quarte...

US economy contracted in first quarter of 2014

Posted in the Hawley Forum

cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1 May 29, 2014
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27616183

'The US economy shifted into reverse in the first three months of 2014 shrinking by an annualised rate of 1%, official estimates have shown.

It is the worst economic performance since the first quarter of 2011.

It is also a big fall on the 2.6% rise in economic output in the final quarter of last year.'
Larry

Bethel, VT

#2 May 30, 2014
There is on average, a recession every seven years. And many indicators forecast one shortly.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#3 May 30, 2014
Larry wrote:
There is on average, a recession every seven years. And many indicators forecast one shortly.
Did we ever get out of the last one?? Having the fed cook the books does not count. It is no different than what the government did after the Carter administration when they stopped counting people who gave up looking for work as 'unemployed'.
Larry

Rochester, VT

#4 Jun 2, 2014
The economy has been going like a buzzsaw at a 1% to 2% increase per year which is for all intents and purposes, stagnant.

So when the next recession hits, it will be in the form of inflation. Some are predicting inflation like we had in the 70s, although I doubt that. But we might see 7% to 8% per year. If mortgages hit 7% the housing "recovery" will come to a complete halt.

They're saying inflation is in check because food and fuel are not counted in the rising prices.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#5 Jun 3, 2014
Larry wrote:
The economy has been going like a buzzsaw at a 1% to 2% increase per year which is for all intents and purposes, stagnant.
So when the next recession hits, it will be in the form of inflation. Some are predicting inflation like we had in the 70s, although I doubt that. But we might see 7% to 8% per year. If mortgages hit 7% the housing "recovery" will come to a complete halt.
They're saying inflation is in check because food and fuel are not counted in the rising prices.
My first mortgage was a bargain at 14.5%!!! But than cds were at 10+%
Larry

Rochester, VT

#6 Jun 3, 2014
cabin wrote:
<quoted text>
My first mortgage was a bargain at 14.5%!!! But than cds were at 10+%
At the end of Carter's term, mortgages were at 18%.There was a new real estate term: "Creative financing".
Obamanomics

Ashburn, VA

#7 Jun 5, 2014
The stagnant economy and its ties to Obama will not bode well in the history books. Currently he is protected by the "good enough for a black guy" racism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hawley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kahr Firearms Group Introduces Seven New Models... Mar 11 berettabone 1
News More lawmakers join Scavello, Brown in lawsuit ... (Apr '12) Feb '17 fed up 3
News Diary of a Barrett Summer, 1894 (May '10) Feb '17 Matt 2
Saw Creek Estate Illegal Development Stealing M... Feb '17 Truth Teller 1
News Pa. college student charged with Craigslist thefts (Nov '09) Jan '17 Greg 5
News No Charges in Swan Hunt in the Poconos Jan '17 hunters are lame 1
Patricia Stark is still charged with homicide o... (Aug '06) Jan '17 People change 45

Hawley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hawley Mortgages