Abandoned, sick horse put down

Abandoned, sick horse put down

There are 23 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 10, 2008, titled Abandoned, sick horse put down. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

KONA The brown and white painter horse had been abandoned in a Hawi field for more than a year when the Humane Society got a call this summer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
oluolufarms

Kapolei, HI

#22 Sep 19, 2008
This horse was in the pasture next to mine for over two years. Please know that the horse was fed and had water and apples and love even though he was not my horse. I tried to get medical treatment for this horse for over a year and the vet would not come out because "I did not own the horse". I should have lied and said I did because then he would have been seen much earlier. The Humane Society came out a year earlier and all they said at that time was that they had located the owner and they would be attending to the horse. No one ever showed up. I kept trying to get the vet to look at him and they told me the Humane Society would have to "seize" the horse in order for him to get medical attention. This was difficult because the pasture is owned by out of state owners which had to be found so Humane Society could go on the land. The horse was not easy to catch or trailer and took several attempts. Then when diagnosed with cancer I made a substantial donation to start medical treatment but was told because the horse was not mine that I did not have a say whether he was to be treated or not. The horse was put down against my wishes. I would have liked to aggressively treat him and give him a couple more years and was willing to pay for that but in the end it was not my decision and we miss him very much. Please know he may have been abandoned but he was loved and he knew it.
pali

United States

#23 Sep 19, 2008
oluolufarms wrote:
This horse was in the pasture next to mine for over two years. Please know that the horse was fed and had water and apples and love even though he was not my horse. I tried to get medical treatment for this horse for over a year and the vet would not come out because "I did not own the horse". I should have lied and said I did because then he would have been seen much earlier. The Humane Society came out a year earlier and all they said at that time was that they had located the owner and they would be attending to the horse. No one ever showed up. I kept trying to get the vet to look at him and they told me the Humane Society would have to "seize" the horse in order for him to get medical attention. This was difficult because the pasture is owned by out of state owners which had to be found so Humane Society could go on the land. The horse was not easy to catch or trailer and took several attempts. Then when diagnosed with cancer I made a substantial donation to start medical treatment but was told because the horse was not mine that I did not have a say whether he was to be treated or not. The horse was put down against my wishes. I would have liked to aggressively treat him and give him a couple more years and was willing to pay for that but in the end it was not my decision and we miss him very much. Please know he may have been abandoned but he was loved and he knew it.
Thank you for caring and for putting your thoughts into actions.
Maile Aloha

Hawthorne, CA

#24 Sep 22, 2008
Bless you. May there be a special place in heaven for you. And when it is your time to go to heaven may you be reunited with the horse.
oluolufarms wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hawi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... Apr '15 District 1 11
Review: Hernandez Connie ND Apr '15 JAYNE T 1
News Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite Jan '15 lanigirl 1
News Weekly gas report: Price for regular unleaded f... Jan '15 Joann jacomb 1
News Big Island kava bars (Dec '09) May '14 HEP C RISK 4
cant beleive this is free! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Verena Brahney 1
News Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite (Apr '13) Apr '13 Linda Lee 1
More from around the web

Hawi People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE