Abandoned, sick horse put down

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

KONA The brown and white painter horse had been abandoned in a Hawi field for more than a year when the Humane Society got a call this summer.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

I'm an animal lover and adopted some cats from my local Human Society. This is very sad.
Molokaiwahine

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

We need to teach the children about taking caring, respecting and loving animals. Education is important. More stories need to be told about people who hurt animals and their names should be printed in the paper. There are Humans that are just so mean and ignorant and no regard for life.
The children need to be EDUCATED in Hawaii. We as Humans are sometimes such a disappoitment!
Terri

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

Abandoned for a year? Didn't anyone, a neighbor, a passerbyer, someone in the law enforcment (any branch) see this poor horse any earlier? I can never understand how anyone not do something sooner for any type of animal that is suppose to be under someone else's ownership & who doesn't care for their animal. If they (neighbors, passerbyer, law enforcment) knew this animal was in a bad way, why didn't they do something about it? Report it to the ASPA or to some department that is suppose to be looking out for this type of thing. If I had seen this horse near me and saw it was in need of care, I would have tried to contact the owner. If the owner couldn't be found, I would have spent my time AND money to help this poor neglected animal. If it needed food, it doesn't really cost all that much to by a bale of hay, if it needed some sort of ointment for it's eyes it doesn't cost that much. Any animal whose skin is pink with white hair and exposed to the sun for a long time needs some extra help. Their skin will sunburn just as easily as a human does. Come on people, you'll buy bags upon bags, cans upon cans of cat food for the ferial cats there. Can't you occasionally afford a bail of hay for a starving horse?
Terri

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Molokaiwahine wrote:
We need to teach the children about taking caring, respecting and loving animals. Education is important. More stories need to be told about people who hurt animals and their names should be printed in the paper. There are Humans that are just so mean and ignorant and no regard for life.
The children need to be EDUCATED in Hawaii. We as Humans are sometimes such a disappoitment!
It's not just the children who need this education, it's their parents too. We as Humans are the caregivers of ALL the animals on this earth. They were put here on earth for our amusement and use, but NOT abuse.
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

-Lana- wrote:
I'm an animal lover and adopted some cats from my local Human Society. This is very sad.
Well hello again Lana. enjoy reading what you say. I also like animals and you are right, it's very sad. I got a big chuckle from the woman yesterday that said you and I should get married..all we do is pat each other on the back. enjoy yourself, I am. the sun is out. mahalo and aloha. glenn from northeast PA
Dana

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

What a waste to put down such a beautiful paint horse. It should be easy to track down who owned this horse thru his distinct markings as there are only a few paint horses here in the islands.
kimo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

why put down a horse? what did he do to deserve being insulted?

OOohh. you mean they killed it. ok that's different.
A Fish Out of H2O

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Sad!!!!!!!!
Maddie

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Well in Hawaii a bale of hay is very expensive compaired to the cost of hay here on the mainland. The point is that people want to have a horse but in alot of cases have no clue what type of care and nutrition that it needs. Face it people are cruel.
MeiLing

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

While it's sad that this has happened, it shouldn't take a large animal to get us to recognize that we have a problem. The attitude that many have of pets being disposable is reprehensible.

Far too many abandon their committments to an animal once the intitial thrill is gone! Sad! If you can no longer care for your animal, it's your responsibility to find it another proper home. If you can't, then at least have the courage to take it to your local animal shelter in a healthy condition so that it has at least a slim chance of finding a new owner or being dealt with humanely!
WestSide

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

I'm sad for the dear horse and it's abandonment...bad juju to the bonehead owner.

But why is it 'humane' to put down this animal when a human suffering with terminal cancer is kept alive by any means available so they can suffer more???

When I took my dear mother in to the hospital for the last time as she lay suffering with lung cancer she looked out her bedroom window and quietly said 'I wish I could go in and they would just give me a shot and this would all be over'.

How was I supposed to respond to that? over the years we had put many a pet 'down' and patted ourselves on the back for relieving their suffering. Yet this beautiful, kind, intelligent lady was forced to suffer for FOUR months until her airways closed off and she slowly suffocated.

sigh. There is no easy answer.
beverley kamahele

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

I can't believe how callous people are with their living, breathing animals, throwing them away when they are sick. Would you do that to your children?! If you can't treat your animals like members of your own family, don't get any! They can't speak and are totally dependent on you if you choose to adopt one. Take care of your animals or give them to someone who can. It really upsets me when people get them as pets. then "throw them away" when the novelty wears off. Also, don"t give them as gifts unless the recipient agrees to accept them to care for.
patfaiola

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

He's a horse and as unfortunate as this story describes he was able to survive on the wild grasses growing in the area.
Horse Fly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

The owners should have donated this horse to another ranch, stable or riding academy.
Bunch of Monkeys

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

poor little horse..... :(

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

glenn paul wrote:
<quoted text>Well hello again Lana. enjoy reading what you say. I also like animals and you are right, it's very sad. I got a big chuckle from the woman yesterday that said you and I should get married..all we do is pat each other on the back. enjoy yourself, I am. the sun is out. mahalo and aloha. glenn from northeast PA
Hi again Glenn.

I am not surprised that some people act that way... so spiteful and hateful.

Just as much as the Internet brings out the worse in some people like these hateful people... it also beings out the kind and compassionate people too.

Cool people like you :)

Aloha, Lana
bradah bully

Renton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Sad story. I always say that animals are like young children in that they are innocent. Humans like the one(s) who abandoned Amigo don't have a heart. Bad karma will come thier way.
nobody

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Sad, very sad.
Leeward lolo

Naalehu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

You know why landlords will not accept pets? Because the lovely owners will move out and leave the animals that they "loved so much."

I found a home for a left behind cat last week, I bought the food so know it was being fed but I found it dead. I wish I knew where the big toothed mama was who left it behind, I would like to deliver its corpse to her personally. I knew she was trash by her lifestyle. Supposedly she was a teacher's aide.
Maile Aloha

Manhattan Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

It so sad that the horse had to suffer so long. Even more sad that no one got involved for a whole year.
Shame on all those who knew the horse was not being cared for and did nothing.
I'm just glad that the horse got some care and attention before he was put to sleep. Thank you Humane Society.
I hope there is a special place in hell for whomever abandoned this horse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hawi Discussions

Search the Hawi Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
pau pizza Jun 23 in love 1
Big Island kava bars (Dec '09) May '14 HEP C RISK 4
Review: DR. Stover's Cosmetic Centers Of Hawaii Apr '14 Potentail Patient 1
About Town | 4-2-14 Apr '14 Juli 1
Boyfriend is indicted in murder and arson (Jan '07) Apr '14 Big man 27
Kumu follows own kumu's 'path' (Mar '08) Jan '14 Kawewehiokeana 11
cant beleive this is free! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Verena Brahney 1
•••
•••