Still the fabric of Lowell, by George

Still the fabric of Lowell, by George

There are 6 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jun 12, 2010, titled Still the fabric of Lowell, by George. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

She always loved the vast selection, the bolts of fabric, the way the folks at George's Textile seemed to know so much about everything they stocked.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Chelmsford Resident

Lowell, MA

#1 Jun 12, 2010
Congratulations and good luck Linda! Could always count on George's back in the days when I made my own window treatments. Love the old creaky floors also!
A VERY Proud American

Sutton, MA

#2 Jun 12, 2010
Always knew the Psaledakis family as friends and neighbors; dealt with Manny and his Dad for more than 45 years. Most honest and honorable of men. Went to the store about 1 month ago, after living out of state for about 10 years, and was shocked to see what it has become. Is this due to the Gilbride ownership? Only drapery and upholstery fabrics - where are the classic fabrics for dresses and gowns? Manny would often bring me to the upper floors where the "older", but much prefered, great fabric was kept. Alas, he is gone and the REAL George's Textile is no more...just a shadow of its former, true self. Good luck to the new owners - but I do not find anything to shop for now. Does anyone remember Manny's "Midnight Madness" sales? Decorated an entire new home with the drapery fabric at half the original price! Gone but never forgotten!!
Faithful Customer

Tewksbury, MA

#3 Jun 12, 2010
The new owner purchased George's Textile on June 1st, 2010.
Joyce from Townend

Merrimac, MA

#4 Jun 13, 2010
I worked for Manny during the late 1970's. He was a great guy to work for--and he was a good business man.

Good luck to the new owner.

Billerica, MA

#5 Jun 13, 2010
I am just getting back into sewing and am happy to have this great old shop in town! great prices for a novice needing affordable fabric...and, much better service than the one remaining not-great chain store in the area!!
an old customer

Lexington, MA

#6 Jun 22, 2010
After being away for many years, I drove through Lowell today and somehow remembered the millions of yards of material that I had bought at George's with my mom, my aunts and my friends... So here I am ..looking to see if it still exists.. and I am thrilled to find out that it does.. I will be traveling back to Maine on Friday and am excited to see the store, once again....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haverhill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I need some advice asap !! Aug 22 Robby 5
Gay meet up (May '13) Aug 19 Robby 24
News Methuen police preferred job seekers who wouldn... Aug '15 thefixisin 1
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white May '15 8496jdlg 1
looking for info about Jonathan Dollins (Apr '14) May '15 pepee 5
A Rockin Night Out!!! Apr '15 Long live rock 1
News State education chief recommends state takeover... Apr '15 Tammy 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Haverhill Mortgages