Tyngsboro warrant could lead to lawsuit

Tyngsboro warrant could lead to lawsuit

There are 86 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 9, 2010, titled Tyngsboro warrant could lead to lawsuit. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Two Special Town Meeting warrant articles that will be voted on next Tuesday -- asking residents to formally accept Cedar Street as a town road, and setting aside $2,000 to pay for the land-taking -- trample on the private-property rights of Club Fleur De Lis owners Gail and Tom Meredith, their lawyer said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Seriously

Sandwich, MA

#1 Nov 9, 2010
27k for a new truck so the janitor can drive around and take naps while the town is in desperate need of new teachers....Seriously?

Tyngsboro, get your head out of your...you know.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#2 Nov 9, 2010
Sidewalks? The kids get door to door service, why waste money on sidewalks?
Sad Sad Sad

Milton, MA

#3 Nov 9, 2010
Seriously wrote:
27k for a new truck so the janitor can drive around and take naps while the town is in desperate need of new teachers....Seriously?
I totally agree... It is for George T, not the actual Janitors that do the work and get little reward and Little pay... the cost of the Truck is more than most of the Janitors make in a year... George is collecting a huge in the 90's salary from the town, while running his business on town time.. PLEASE wake up... Tyngsboro Janitors are the lowest paid Janitors in the state and you want them to keep the school Germ free.. the sad part is they do, because they care about the kids... Most of them work a second job just to make ends meet!! UGH sometimes this town just pisses me off...
Kevin

United States

#4 Nov 9, 2010
I drive by the elementry school everyday. The kids that are two doors down and have a sidewalk get on a bus. Sidewalks are a waste of money.
They can get by with a cheaper truck.
The teachers are already overstaffed, underworked and overpaid.
Independent Observer

Bedford, MA

#5 Nov 9, 2010
As an independent observer watching this boat launch story it looks like it is all about charging people $$$$ for access to a right of way boat ramp that the people of Tyngsborough and others should have had all along. Some questions I have is: was the fee they charged deemed illegal? the posted signs appear to be illegal posting if it is a right of way and on the other abutters piece of land? and what looks like a Dracut issued beach permit is posted on the Tyngsborough side? That could actually be a really nice place if it was other than a bar. It has so many possibilities...Probably would make a fortune if it sold ice cream and fried dough and items like that, instead of liquor.
Sara

Lowell, MA

#6 Nov 9, 2010
I agree- all students are bussed- people move here with no sidewalks then demand them. Every child is bussed. We have more urgent needs.
If one parent is worried about their child walking to school walk with them.
You moved to that house without sidewalks. You get what you pay for- or better yet, as that's not always true--you DON'T get what you DON'T pay for!
So vote

Boston, MA

#7 Nov 9, 2010
No.
Sara wrote:
I agree- all students are bussed- people move here with no sidewalks then demand them. Every child is bussed. We have more urgent needs.
If one parent is worried about their child walking to school walk with them.
You moved to that house without sidewalks. You get what you pay for- or better yet, as that's not always true--you DON'T get what you DON'T pay for!
Tyngsborough

Merrimack, NH

#8 Nov 9, 2010
I wondered how the Cedar Street boat ramp became an issue in our town so I checked the Conservation Commission's minutes posted on the town's website and found only two CC meetings referencing the Cedar Street boat ramp.

The CC's Agenda for 6/23/2009 lists an item for discussion: Cedar Street Boat Ramp Access (located at Fleur de lis Club)- Resident inquiry and the minutes show Ed Smith inspected the area and reviewed the Assessors maps. Then "in order to clear up any doubt about the 'public access' delineation of the Cedar Street boat ramp, Ed Smith proposed that the Commission approve an instrument survey on the Cedar Street ROW (Right of Way) and to post a boat launch sign upon final review of the survey results". The Commission approved the motion.

The next time the Cedar Street boat ramp came up for discussion was at the 4/27/2010 Conservation Commission meeting. Here's what the minutes show: "Matt Marro reported that the survey was completed and granite markers will be placed to show the property boundaries. A final report will be coming shortly, at which time the town will be able to install the appropriate signage".

Now what's surprising is there was absolutely no discussion on the boat ramp during the next seven CC meetings 5/25; 6/08; 6/22; 8/10; 8/24; 9/28; and 10/12 leading up to the 10/25 BOS public hearing. Why not? And while a 3/23/2010 meeting is referenced those minutes are not posted. In addition from 8/12/2009 to 1/25/2010 there are no Conservation Commission meeting minutes posted.

Here's the link to the CC's minutes:
http://www.tyngsboroughma.gov/government/meet...

My questions are:
Who was the resident that brought this matter before the Conservation Commission and why wasn't he/she identified?
Why wasn't the Cedar Street boat ramp discussed after the "final report" was released?
How much did the report, survey and granite markers cost the town?
Why is the Conservation Commission in violation of the state's Open Meeting Law?
Wondering

Billerica, MA

#9 Nov 9, 2010
Tyngsborough.. You ask very interesting questions.. Are you Gail's lawyer??
Fred

Lowell, MA

#10 Nov 9, 2010
Seriously wrote:
Vote no.
Fred

Lowell, MA

#11 Nov 9, 2010
Wondering wrote:
Sidewalks? The kids get door to door service, why waste money on sidewalks?
Vote no.
Fred

Lowell, MA

#12 Nov 9, 2010
If you have actual proof of Mr. Treachis' wrongdoing please speak up.
If not, don't mention it.

I still oppose a new truck. Wouldn't that be school budget's problem?
It is a scool vehicle.
Matt Marro

Leominster, MA

#13 Nov 9, 2010
First of all we identified an issue we took plenty of time to research it. Why was it not discussed? Because the survey was not done until a year later due to monetary concerns and budgeting. It's the issue is simple and did not require repetitive discussion. Once we got the funds had the work researched and the survey finished we brought the results to the meeting.

It was not one resident it was multiple residents. Unless they consent, and under the public records and meeting law, any person who files a complaint need not identify themselves and we are not compelled to reveal names. That was designed to assure people who notice an issue that may be afraid of reprisal.

Yes you can take a set of minutes from a website like you did use the elapse of time to try and create a doubt about the Commission's intention or performance,throw in an accusation of the open meeting law but the facts speak clearly. The Conservation Commission did it's job. There is no violation of the law here.
Tyngsborough wrote:
I wondered how the Cedar Street boat ramp became an issue in our town so I checked the Conservation Commission's minutes posted on the town's website and found only two CC meetings referencing the Cedar Street boat ramp.
The CC's Agenda for 6/23/2009 lists an item for discussion: Cedar Street Boat Ramp Access (located at Fleur de lis Club)- Resident inquiry and the minutes show Ed Smith inspected the area and reviewed the Assessors maps. Then "in order to clear up any doubt about the 'public access' delineation of the Cedar Street boat ramp, Ed Smith proposed that the Commission approve an instrument survey on the Cedar Street ROW (Right of Way) and to post a boat launch sign upon final review of the survey results". The Commission approved the motion.
The next time the Cedar Street boat ramp came up for discussion was at the 4/27/2010 Conservation Commission meeting. Here's what the minutes show: "Matt Marro reported that the survey was completed and granite markers will be placed to show the property boundaries. A final report will be coming shortly, at which time the town will be able to install the appropriate signage".
Now what's surprising is there was absolutely no discussion on the boat ramp during the next seven CC meetings 5/25; 6/08; 6/22; 8/10; 8/24; 9/28; and 10/12 leading up to the 10/25 BOS public hearing. Why not? And while a 3/23/2010 meeting is referenced those minutes are not posted. In addition from 8/12/2009 to 1/25/2010 there are no Conservation Commission meeting minutes posted.
Here's the link to the CC's minutes:
http://www.tyngsboroughma.gov/government/meet...
My questions are:
Who was the resident that brought this matter before the Conservation Commission and why wasn't he/she identified?
Why wasn't the Cedar Street boat ramp discussed after the "final report" was released?
How much did the report, survey and granite markers cost the town?
Why is the Conservation Commission in violation of the state's Open Meeting Law?
Fred

Lowell, MA

#14 Nov 9, 2010
scHool
Sidewalks

Medford, MA

#15 Nov 9, 2010
"The Tyngsborough Public Schools charges a school transportation fee for students in Grades 7-12. The fee for students in grades 7-12 will be $200 per child, with a cap of $500 per family." There are no sidewalks near that school for children to walk to school, it is dangerous on those roads and many will have no choice but to pay $200

Also the school committee considered, back in February, charging a bus fee for K-6 for those that live within 2 miles of the school. I don't know what they decided. I haven't heard anything further so I am assuming they decided not to.

Get rid of the bus fee and you won't need sidewalks near the schools.
ura stupidazzo

Tyngsboro, MA

#16 Nov 9, 2010
Matt Marro wrote:
First of all we identified an issue we took plenty of time to research it. Why was it not discussed? Because the survey was not done until a year later due to monetary concerns and budgeting. It's the issue is simple and did not require repetitive discussion. Once we got the funds had the work researched and the survey finished we brought the results to the meeting.
It was not one resident it was multiple residents. Unless they consent, and under the public records and meeting law, any person who files a complaint need not identify themselves and we are not compelled to reveal names. That was designed to assure people who notice an issue that may be afraid of reprisal.
Yes you can take a set of minutes from a website like you did use the elapse of time to try and create a doubt about the Commission's intention or performance,throw in an accusation of the open meeting law but the facts speak clearly. The Conservation Commission did it's job. There is no violation of the law here.
<quoted text>
you are violating a business and a persons rights, the flur di les has been there BEFORE the subdivision and they maintained it for all those years that they have owned it. i am going to your house and tell the neighbors that i dont like you and i am going to take your property and see how you like it. because you are costing us taxpayers money and you dont care. your a jerk who dont belong in any office.
Club FDL Supporter

Tewksbury, MA

#17 Nov 9, 2010
Firstly I love reading all the bickering, great soap opera. In real life however not all get what they want, and people actually have to work hard to get anywhere in life. I think many people in this town feel like something is owed to them and sadly that is America today. Too bad too sad for all these townies who believe they can bully anyone or any business, but that is the reality of tyngsborough isn't it. None of you built the ramp, maintain it, and have any responsibility for it so you do not own it. Either way cedar street is a paper road, try backing up a boat without trespassing on club property, "cedar street" is a mere walking path if anything. I guess it is easy to spend other taxpayers money who really have no real benefit from this. Sounds like a handful of selfish people out, but then again we do live in a land of greed.
towns property

Dracut, MA

#18 Nov 9, 2010
ura stupidazzo wrote:
<quoted text> you are violating a business and a persons rights, the flur di les has been there BEFORE the subdivision and they maintained it for all those years that they have owned it. i am going to your house and tell the neighbors that i dont like you and i am going to take your property and see how you like it. because you are costing us taxpayers money and you dont care. your a jerk who dont belong in any office.
they maintained it so they could charge people a 100 bucks to use it.it is not there land period
Club FDL Supporter

Tewksbury, MA

#19 Nov 9, 2010
Everyone knows all on these forums, please understand this next statement. People pay membership fees to join the club period. A boat launch happens to be there for use which also happens to be Fleur De Lis Property. The boat ramp gets used maybe 4 months out of the year, members of the club bring their families to the club since it is not open to the public hence private club. These families actually do fun activities all year round at the club. If you do not like this club you do not have to join period. All those wishing to come out and have a good time along with their families feel free to inquire within.
ura stupidazzo tue

Tyngsboro, MA

#20 Nov 9, 2010
towns property wrote:
<quoted text>they maintained it so they could charge people a 100 bucks to use it.it is not there land period
again, watch it online and the town counsel admits its her property

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haverhill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I need some advice asap !! Aug 22 Robby 5
Gay meet up (May '13) Aug 19 Robby 24
News Methuen police preferred job seekers who wouldn... Aug 1 thefixisin 1
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white May '15 8496jdlg 1
looking for info about Jonathan Dollins (Apr '14) May '15 pepee 5
A Rockin Night Out!!! Apr '15 Long live rock 1
News State education chief recommends state takeover... Apr '15 Tammy 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Haverhill Mortgages