Letters to the Editor - Letters

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Hawaii people must be either complacent or dead. What will it take for us all to revolt against all the financial madness that's happening? To even suggest increasing the general excise tax to "bail out" the state workers and the state budget is not acceptable.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Ref: "Rise up to stop the tax madness," by K. Nolda. Sorry, but I don't see that happening. You must understand that if our elected officials didn't kotow to unions and special interest, instead of their constitutens, what would the constitutents have to complain about? Much like several years ago when the City and SHOPO gridlocked on police raises. It went to arbitration. The arbitrator agreed with the union and our City Council voted to increase the weight tax on registered vehicles. One Council member actually stated publicly that the raise in weight taxes was to pay for these raises. But don't police provide service and protection to all people of Oahu, not just registered owners? But alas, nothing was done by registered car owners. No outcry. No protest. No nothing.
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Most of us knew all along that the courts would side with the unions. Now it's time for the layoffs, which I'm sure Lingle has the authority as Governor to do.

As citizens of this State we need to contact our legislators and next session change the law regarding "binding arbitration." I don't think the State has ever been the victor, or the taxpayer for that matter, in binding arbitration.

The governor should run the State, not the courts.

Since: Jul 08

Carpentersville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

Indeed, rise up against this tax madness and throw out all the democrats in city and state government. Remember come November 2010 to vote for Iona instead of the tax mad Hannemann or Abrecrombie. Remember to vote out all democrat councilors, state senators and state representatives. Remember 2009 in 2010 and kick out all democrats from our state and city governent.
Keith Haugen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

Aloha:

If they had known that the economy was going to be this bad, many who voted for a new railroad on O`ahu probably would not have done so.

If a vote were held today, opponents of the railroad to nowhere would probably win.

But, that said. It isn't the railroad, as much as where the railroad is (and is not) going to run.

Building the first segment from Kapolei to the Airport makes absolutely no sense at all, because there is no demand on that proposed route. If proponents wanted to provide a real service, they would have supported building the first segment between the airport and Waikiki, so that millions of visitors could use it AND pay for it.

Instead, it is being built as a "railroad to nowhere," to benefit certain politicians, landowners, contractors, concessionaires and others who will get rich from the project.

Remember, surveys showed that while a slight majority favored the new railroad, most of those who want to see it built said they will not use it. And the Kapolei population is a fraction of the number of visitors who make the trip between Honolulu Airport and Waikiki hotels.

So why not provide the tourism industry, which is struggling, with a much-needed boost. It is not to late to make some changes, even if it means that fewer of the "railmakers" will become millionaires.

Our millions of tourists will not take a train from the airport to Kapolei, and the railroad will run on red ink.

Stop, look, and listen, before you cross these tracks. Stop, look, and listen, before you spend billions of our tax dollars building a railroad that no one will use.

Me ka pono,

Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
LEGAL immigrant

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

Keith Haugen wrote:
Aloha:
If they had known that the economy was going to be this bad, many who voted for a new railroad on O`ahu probably would not have done so.
If a vote were held today, opponents of the railroad to nowhere would probably win.
But, that said. It isn't the railroad, as much as where the railroad is (and is not) going to run.
Building the first segment from Kapolei to the Airport makes absolutely no sense at all, because there is no demand on that proposed route. If proponents wanted to provide a real service, they would have supported building the first segment between the airport and Waikiki, so that millions of visitors could use it AND pay for it.
Instead, it is being built as a "railroad to nowhere," to benefit certain politicians, landowners, contractors, concessionaires and others who will get rich from the project.
Remember, surveys showed that while a slight majority favored the new railroad, most of those who want to see it built said they will not use it. And the Kapolei population is a fraction of the number of visitors who make the trip between Honolulu Airport and Waikiki hotels.
So why not provide the tourism industry, which is struggling, with a much-needed boost. It is not to late to make some changes, even if it means that fewer of the "railmakers" will become millionaires.
Our millions of tourists will not take a train from the airport to Kapolei, and the railroad will run on red ink.
Stop, look, and listen, before you cross these tracks. Stop, look, and listen, before you spend billions of our tax dollars building a railroad that no one will use.
Me ka pono,
Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
it is being built as a "railroad to nowhere," to benefit certain politicians, landowners, contractors, concessionaires and others who will get rich from the project.

THIS SAYS IT ALL...... Mr. Haugen, you are SO right on the mark!!!! And the Muffinmobster wants a higher political 'plum'... and no doubt, will take his mob with him!!

Maybe he'll get run over by his 'choo-choo to nowhere'!! At least one can always hold out that hope?
Mufimaniac

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

I think what is even more interesting is that the City and County of Honolulu is facing a severe budget crisis of its own.

However, Mufi is keeping it under wraps and trying to balance the City's budget by raising city taxes, fees, parking, etc. There is no doubt that city workers will be facing the same cuts as state workers, e.g., lay off and/or severe pay cuts.

Mufi is just trying to hold off on doing this until after the City breaks ground on the rail project. Once the City throws 600 million dollars into the first phase of the project it is going to be quite hard to stop the project.

Mufi is having a hard time balancing his budget and the paying to have our garbage shipped off to the mainland would stress the little bit of money the City has put on the side. This is why he is going back on the contract to ship out the trash.

As everyone knows, Mufi has a way with words. He talks about malasadas and manapuas and talks down to every that he deals with. He even has his own group of pundits that back up his every action.

City workers, you have been warned. You will be the next to be getting cut... your days are numbered. Once ground breaks for rail, you will see Mufi take a much different stance. Here is what I anticipate Mufi saying right before he cuts your pay and benefits "City workers need to make cuts. They need to differentiate between things that they must have and those things that are nice to have". State and City workers will be suffering while the pro-rail, pro-Mufi construction unions make a killing on an over priced rail project.

Thank goodness I work for the Federal Government. And thank goodness the Feds won't be chipping in any money for the "Rail to Nowhere"
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

Keith Haugen wrote:
Aloha:
Me ka pono,
Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
I agree with what you're saying, however, you were incorrect in the first segment of rail. It will run from Waipahu to Wahiawa. Indeed a "train to nowhere."
Patriot 96789

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

There is a TEA Party Saturday 7/4/09 @
the State Capitol noon- 3PM.
This is a non-partisan event, all are welcome!
Wildman

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

Patriot 96789 wrote:
There is a TEA Party Saturday 7/4/09 @
the State Capitol noon- 3PM.
This is a non-partisan event, all are welcome!
I drink beer...but I'll be there.......
STILLWATER

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Everyone should go to the TEA Party!

America's Independence Day Tea Party Honolulu @ State Capitol Building 12 noon - 3pm

Everyone should also read Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine (Paperback)it is a non-partisan book - that is a really great quick read.

I was talking with some people (individually) while they are unhappy with our government they will not do anything (write letters or attend a TEA Party) because they are afraid of our government & the repercussions. Um seriously?! WAKE UP!
“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson

WE THE PEOPLE must stand up & be heard. We cannot sit by & let the government run us!
Glenn

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

This is getting completely ridiculous. I checked the Hawaii website, and NOWHERE, does it mention MANDATORY COLLECTIVE BARGAINING. Seems to me we gotta furlough the Legislature, then the Judiciary, and then assess from there. Next comes the DOE uppers, cuz how can one throw more money into a program w/ no results?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hauula Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hauula People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance