Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials

It is good that the city is trying to address the bulky-item issue. But with so many high-rise residential buildings, having bulky items picked up once a month is not enough. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dewey Cox

Honolulu, HI

#64 Dec 7, 2009
Panos will save us. Somehow. We'll say he will, anyway. And I like cars, not trains. That's what I'm all about. To heck with the rest of you.
Glen

AOL

#65 Dec 7, 2009
wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out prices at WalMart, Best Buy or Costco. If those products were made in the US, they'd be priced at least 100% higher. Do you really think you can buy a 42" Vizio HD for $800, if built in the US? How about a Dell computer? And, would you actually want to pay double for these products, if you had a choice?
BTW, many heavy industrial products, like container cranes, are built in China or South Korea. Do you want the ports to pay 100% tariff on these cranes, only to pass it on to you?
How about ships? Except for naval vessels, not many are built in the US anymore. Most are foreign built.
Well, at least with Vizio, the corporate, sales and service departments are in Orange County, Ca. That's a start.
Glen

AOL

#66 Dec 7, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>You know what I find very odd? Even with GM's retooling, they still can't match costs with Toyota. And they and Ford have been touting for decades about how their quality is matched to the imports. Always second fiddle.
What is going on with the difference in American and foreign prices is. American cars are long standing here with the Unions deeply entrenched. They are paying outrageous numbers to the retirements of their employees, past and present. The Japanese manufacturers are much newer and work under totally different
rules. The quality is there, just the outgo is unbalanced.
Glen

AOL

#67 Dec 7, 2009
Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
You mention open up the drilling of oil until more development occurs.
Right now the US has 41 million acres of offshore oil leases. They're only pumping in 10.2 million of those acres.
Why are they not pumping?
You should address that question to the environmentalist and the Democrats in California. Obama halted plenty of drilling permits also. Now, it will be China drillng in our gulf waters instead of us.
Why you have O on the phone, ask him why he is finanacing GE to drill in Brazil? They just got a 250 M contract.
In Feb. the activists got 130,000 acres of land permits cancelled in Utah.
Also ask why we can't drill in Northern Alaska, where we happen to have enough oil to last for years.
Also ask why a federal judge refused to issue deep water permit to a Houston company for drilling off the Alaskan Coast.
In June Assemblyman Julia Brownley of Sacarmento applauded rejection of Coastal oil drillng. We would have been able to drill for the first time in 40 years. Not exactly a case for over drilling here.
She would rather inpose a 1 billion a year in Oil Severance Tax.
Part of the Obama fiscal 2010 budget plans calls for several changes, including new fee on non producing gulf of Mexicao leases, part of a use it or lose it strategy.
Interior Sec. Ken Salazar has been all about slowing down the drilling process.

So I can safely say, this doesn't have a thing to do with putting Americans to work at all.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#68 Dec 7, 2009
Glen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least with Vizio, the corporate, sales and service departments are in Orange County, Ca. That's a start.
Well, so is the hardware support for computer manufactures. But they still are one of the worst when it comes to "fixing" problems.
Glen

AOL

#69 Dec 8, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Well, so is the hardware support for computer manufactures. But they still are one of the worst when it comes to "fixing" problems.
This wasn't a discussion about service, it was about being built here. I belive Vizio actually was started by the Gateway people who had a good product.
I have read where many people are delighted with their product and service and others, not so much. Sounds like it could be just about any other company.
It just boils down to the fact, that people would be willing to go to work for a company coming back to the US and most likely wouldn't have such unreasonable demands as previous generations. It beats being on unemployment and it running out. Face it, the people getting union retirement now are getting much more than there were making many years ago.
We have to keep the unions out and the people will have work, and we will have a product for a reasonable price. The unions have overstayed their usefulness.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#70 Dec 8, 2009
Glen wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't a discussion about service, it was about being built here. I belive Vizio actually was started by the Gateway people who had a good product.
I have read where many people are delighted with their product and service and others, not so much. Sounds like it could be just about any other company.
It just boils down to the fact, that people would be willing to go to work for a company coming back to the US and most likely wouldn't have such unreasonable demands as previous generations. It beats being on unemployment and it running out. Face it, the people getting union retirement now are getting much more than there were making many years ago.
We have to keep the unions out and the people will have work, and we will have a product for a reasonable price. The unions have overstayed their usefulness.
You brought up sales and service. And yes, I do agree this could be about any company... American or otherwise.

As for unions, in some cases they do get more than they should. But you do realize the military also has their own version of unions as well, right?
Pau

Los Angeles, CA

#71 Dec 8, 2009
Glen wrote:
<quoted text>
You should address that question to the environmentalist and the Democrats in California. Obama halted plenty of drilling permits also. Now, it will be China drillng in our gulf waters instead of us.
Why you have O on the phone, ask him why he is finanacing GE to drill in Brazil? They just got a 250 M contract.
In Feb. the activists got 130,000 acres of land permits cancelled in Utah.
Also ask why we can't drill in Northern Alaska, where we happen to have enough oil to last for years.
Also ask why a federal judge refused to issue deep water permit to a Houston company for drilling off the Alaskan Coast.
In June Assemblyman Julia Brownley of Sacarmento applauded rejection of Coastal oil drillng. We would have been able to drill for the first time in 40 years. Not exactly a case for over drilling here.
She would rather inpose a 1 billion a year in Oil Severance Tax.
Part of the Obama fiscal 2010 budget plans calls for several changes, including new fee on non producing gulf of Mexicao leases, part of a use it or lose it strategy.
Interior Sec. Ken Salazar has been all about slowing down the drilling process.
So I can safely say, this doesn't have a thing to do with putting Americans to work at all.
I think you're missing the point. They're only pumping in 10.2 million of those acres available. Close to 80 percent of all the offshore oil available off the coast of Florida, into the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Coast, the Pacific Coast, lies within those acres that they now have.

There is 30 million leased acres of the 40 million acres available and they're not drilling or pumping.

If you insist on making this a right/left issue then this occurrence was taking place on Bush's watch with gas at $4 a gallon, and $135 a barrel oil.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#72 Dec 8, 2009
city continues to deterorate under mufi
Stumped

Honolulu, HI

#73 Dec 8, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>As for unions, in some cases they do get more than they should. But you do realize the military also has their own version of unions as well, right?
I don't understand that one. Are you joking?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#74 Dec 8, 2009
Stumped wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand that one. Are you joking?
Not really.
wendell

United States

#75 Dec 8, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Not really.
What do you mean? Like for the civilian employees?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#76 Dec 8, 2009
wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean? Like for the civilian employees?
Take your pick.
STATE your FACTS

Lahaina, HI

#77 Dec 8, 2009
Tom47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sooooo, instead of waiting 3 weeks, why not take them to the dump (sorry, landfill) yourself. If you don't have a truck, I'm sure you have a buddy or a neighbor that does. People: quit whining and start taking care of yourselves!!
so you want me to pay for gas to load up a truck that i have to borrow (and possibly pay to use) risk getting the borrowed truck damaged or in an accident to throw out something that i pay someone else to do already.

do it myself.. and further allow them to escape their responsibilities and accountability. GREAT answer. we are already paying for the service.. WHY are they not providing it ? since we are already paying for it through a million types of taxes, WHERE is the money going to pay for something that is not happening ?

RAIL.
STATE your FACTS

Lahaina, HI

#78 Dec 8, 2009
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !
AUDIT thge DOE !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hauula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man reported missing, last seen in Kaaawa Dec 15 Joe Balls 14
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
Mayor Caldwell signs Expansion of 'Sit-Lie' Bill Dec 2 Joe Balls 2
Hawaiian motorcycle clubs (Mar '10) Nov 29 jenni 7
Kelani J.E. 15 years new is Missing Oct '14 KelaniJsMom 1
A lot of campaign ground to cover for house dis... Oct '14 Rico 1
Vacation rentals not the culprit in Laie woes -... (Sep '09) Oct '14 Jack 27

High Surf Warning for Honolulu County was issued at December 21 at 3:49PM HST

Hauula Dating
Find my Match